Hardware Synth recording questions

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Hardware Synth recording questions

Postby KillerAmp » 28 Mar 2013 17:55

Anyone else got an M-Audio Venom?
im quite fond of its really heavy/gritty sound, but id really like to get to know how to record it into ableton through my soundcard

i have all the midi output > Venom > Audio output > Soundcard's Monophonic Recording input working
i was wondering if theres any easier way to get it to be (mostly) in time with ableton, and also how to remove some small midi timing glitches when sending the midi from abletons sequencer to the m-audio venom
KillerAmp

Primary: Ableton Live 9
Cutie Mark: Feels

Re: Hardware Synth recording questions

Postby itroitnyah » 28 Mar 2013 22:24

There should be a setting in the "Audio Settings" window in Ableton that allows you to change everything from the delay time to the audio quality that you're recording in. Maybe there's a setting in there.

Or another option is to get a better audio interface. Those can cause latency.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby the4thImpulse » 28 Mar 2013 22:41

It shouldn't be a midi issue, it's likely the way you are monitoring the synth during real time playback verses recorded playback. When you record audio into ableton there's a natural delay on the recorded track, move the start warp marker so it starts on time.

Tell me about how you monitor the synth, does it go through ableton before playing in your monitors or does it play straight through to the monitors from the soundcard (no ableton)?
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8

Postby Aurum Noble » 29 Mar 2013 07:35

I've got similar problems with recording my SH-201 and D-50 into Ableton. Whilst it comes out fine live, the recorded sound ends up being delayed and of a much lower volume (and when I boost the volume, it becomes distorted). Is there a way of rectifying this?
Aurum Noble

Primary: Ableton Live
Cutie Mark: Synths!

Postby the4thImpulse » 29 Mar 2013 08:48

Aurum Noble wrote:I've got similar problems with recording my SH-201 and D-50 into Ableton. Whilst it comes out fine live, the recorded sound ends up being delayed and of a much lower volume (and when I boost the volume, it becomes distorted). Is there a way of rectifying this?

See the above answer, it's the way you are monitoring the sound and I've wrote how to fix the delay.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8

Postby Aurum Noble » 29 Mar 2013 09:14

the4thImpulse wrote:
Aurum Noble wrote:I've got similar problems with recording my SH-201 and D-50 into Ableton. Whilst it comes out fine live, the recorded sound ends up being delayed and of a much lower volume (and when I boost the volume, it becomes distorted). Is there a way of rectifying this?

See the above answer, it's the way you are monitoring the sound and I've wrote how to fix the delay.

I'll give that a go.

Additionally, I adjusted the sample rate and compensation in the Audio preferences, but as I'm away from my keyboards, I can't test it until I'm back, but from what I've seen in other forums, that also seemed to fix problems.
Aurum Noble

Primary: Ableton Live
Cutie Mark: Synths!

Return to Technique