Help making these bass sounds?

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Help making these bass sounds?

Postby S.P.P » 27 Mar 2013 07:05

So there are a couple of sounds I've heard in tracks that I like, and would like to be able to know how to do, and possibly incorporate into my own music. Please don't take it that I want to be a carbon copy of anyone, I just like the sounds ..

First up, the "wah" bass that comes in around ~00:38
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWd5x09gWoE

All I've been able to come up with are deep Skrillex-esqe growls and "yoy"/"yah" basses.

And also this one. At around ~1.40ish, there is a sound that is falling and slowing down. (Also has the "wah" bass after, but the above sound is exactly the sound I'd been after before I even heard the song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul8synVpdr4

I assume this one is done by creating a bass with a percussive sound at the start and modulating the tits out of it, but I can't figure out what's going on.

Anyhoo, I have Massive, Razor, and (Sytrus if it's FM). Any help with getting these sort of sounds would be amazing, and I'd be eternally grateful. :D
S.P.P

Primary: FL Studio, Ableton, Pro Tools

Re: Help making these bass sounds?

Postby itroitnyah » 27 Mar 2013 07:28

They're both relatively simple, and there are two ways to make those yeller thingies.

One way is to set a LP filter on massive, set one of the inserts to sample and hold, turn the pitch knob up higher than 80%, set the cutoff on the filter to be around 9 o'clock, and set a sine wave LFO to go up to around 12 o'clock. A higher resonance is good.

Another way is to set a screamer filter and turn the cutoff all the way down, the resonance at around 10:30, and put an LFO on the cutoff all the way to full on, and an LFO on the resonance up to 12 o'clock, set the scream knob anywhere to change the pitch of the yell thing.

Other than that, a lot of it has to do with the waveform used and insert effects.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby S.P.P » 27 Mar 2013 08:09

Actually, that helped alot, thanks! I'll plug some time into it later. Any idea about the Silva Hound one?
S.P.P

Postby itroitnyah » 27 Mar 2013 09:58

I think it's just the first method I talked about in my previous reply, you just have to try and mess around with different waveforms until you get it right.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Thelastdevastator » 27 Mar 2013 17:34

itroitnyah wrote:They're both relatively simple, and there are two ways to make those yeller thingies.

One way is to set a LP filter on massive, set one of the inserts to sample and hold, turn the pitch knob up higher than 80%, set the cutoff on the filter to be around 9 o'clock, and set a sine wave LFO to go up to around 12 o'clock. A higher resonance is good.

Another way is to set a screamer filter and turn the cutoff all the way down, the resonance at around 10:30, and put an LFO on the cutoff all the way to full on, and an LFO on the resonance up to 12 o'clock, set the scream knob anywhere to change the pitch of the yell thing.

Other than that, a lot of it has to do with the waveform used and insert effects.

I tried this method using a phaser I turned it down 1 octave and that gave it a nice growl effect and also I would suggest You put them change the spectrum to a Bend+ or Bend-/+ to kinda make sound less wet.

I also put it through scream waveform and kept the amp all the way up and put it through some tube compression and added a bit of small reverb and turned up the high and low to the 1:30 postilion but that's just me.

It was basically experimenting from there.
We Chrono Reactor now [formerly known as The Last Devastator]
Currently working on: Getting better Mixdowns|Sound Design|Music Theory
https://soundcloud.com/the-devastation/anemoneoriginal-mix
Thelastdevastator

Primary: Fl Studio 10 *I don't like 11*
Cutie Mark: A clock and a Nuclear Reactor

Postby BassClef -DatPoni- » 28 Mar 2013 13:16

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vodgo54b0ubfw ... ooler.nmsv

heres my attempt at that patch, i got pretty close, but its not quite exact, it just needs some EQing

and heres the silva hound sound
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n2rfjrdgwl0jb ... angin.nmsv
DAW: Ableton Suit 8
VST: Massive, Kontakt (symphobia, orchestral brass classsic, cineharp, emotional piano) and absynth (rarely)

Genres: dubstep, DnB.

current projects: none just finished em all
BassClef -DatPoni-

Postby S.P.P » 28 Mar 2013 14:02

BassClef; nice one dude! Thanks alot for that.
Itroit and Devastator, thanks or the info, it'll be helpful stuff as I thoroughly suck at sound design, hehe.
S.P.P

Return to Technique