For those serious about music

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

For those serious about music

Postby the4thImpulse » 13 Mar 2013 17:55

I found a new podcast a couple days ago, they only have seven sessions out now and they all are focused on interviews with semi famous people in the industry (more specifically the EDM scene). They've interviewed a good combination of record label owners, mastering engineers, producers, and DJs. All people who are successful in this industry and people who are open to sharing their techniques and the things they've done to get to where they are now. Its all really good stuff, it has my stamp of approval if my name means anything to you on MLR.

For all podcasts: https://soundcloud.com/bassgorilla

Below is the newest session.
https://soundcloud.com/bassgorilla/podcast-007

Here's some quick notes I took while listening to two of em', so you sorta know what to expect:

- Work on mixing first, sound design second. If the mix is good the content doesn't matter so much.

- Proper monitoring environment goes a long way in making good mixes. If you are serious about music than do whatever it takes to get the money for monitors.

- Even if you have the best speakers unless your room is treated you still won't hear your music 'right'.

- The average listener isn't sensitive to dynamic range, they just want it loud (speaking for most EDM).

- Impress a record label with the first track you send their way, you need their attention from the start for them to stay focused on your future releases.

- "Don't send your work unless you're like 110% happy with it, get your mixdowns down."

- Be professional, make a website and keep it up to date along with your soundcloud/youtube/facebook/twitter ect..

- Only focus on the basics at first, don't worry about new 3rd party plugins while your still learning to mix

- The best songs are often very simple, "less is more". Don't put too much into a track, try taking stuff out instead of putting stuff in.
Last edited by the4thImpulse on 13 Mar 2013 18:07, edited 1 time in total.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Re: For those serious about music

Postby Motivfs » 13 Mar 2013 18:00

That last note, I agree with that fully. Some of the most simplistic songs can be so amazing, so perfect, and that goes to support the first note where it's because of the mixing which is usually the reason why it is what it is.

I've always enjoyed mixing, infact it's my favourite part of producing music. I think having a clean sound is infinitely more important. Sure, sound design is nice, but I'm pretty sure most sounds you hear have already been made and used at some point. Knowing basic sound design is really all I feel I need to know at this point and time anyways.

I still do need monitors however, as noted above. I have yet to be able to purchase some, so all my mixing is done through headphones which can be quite deceiving.
Motivfs

Postby HMage » 14 Mar 2013 10:21

I agree with everything except this:
- The average listener isn't sensitive to dynamic range, they just want it loud (speaking for most EDM).

Dynamic range is always important in EDM. Especially when you play it in a club. It might sound good for home listening, but in a club the overcompressed kicks will smear so much you won't feel/hear them. You'll end up with Just a constant droning of low end.

I was on Above & Beyond gig a few weeks ago — it was the best display why it matters. The DJ before A&B was using commercial masters, with dynamic range so low it was a constant signal level. It was hard to dance to it because you didn't feel the beat — there was no difference between kick and just bass. And the songs were very widely known and even some of A&B tracks as well had that problem too when that DJ played them.

But A&B were likely using uncompressed masters of the music they played — the kicks were heard clearly no matter how sonically busy the song was. It was the difference of amplitude on every kick that made me feel the beat.
HMage

Primary: Ableton

Postby the4thImpulse » 14 Mar 2013 13:13

I think you guys are missing the point of the post, to show you this podcast. I wrote those quick notes out so you know what to, more or less, expect from the podcast. They were quickly generalized for that purpose and I hope you listen to them in context sometime.

Just so we don't start a loudness wars debate, I agree that dynamics are important in EDM as well as every other genre out there. But regular people with regular ears don't hear the dynamics in the same way we do, just talking with regular EDM fans tells you they just want it loud and heavy above all else.

Pease listen to those podcasts before posting more of this.
the4thImpulse

Postby HMage » 14 Mar 2013 13:34

Just wanted to clear that point up in case someone acts upon the list without listening to the podcast first.
HMage

Primary: Ableton

Postby Motivfs » 14 Mar 2013 16:45

Eh, so I listened to it, not to sound rude or anything, but the guys were quite bland, sounded like they weren't really into it.

Other than that, I did learn a few new things. I definitely didn't really think of pitching up and down instruments through bars, it sounds weird to me, but hell I could be wrong. Velocity on the other hand was something I never did, which I'll look more into doing now.

Still, there was some good tips within the podcast, I just wish they were more into the whole thing. Really made it hard to listen to.
Motivfs

Postby the4thImpulse » 14 Mar 2013 19:33

Motivfs wrote:Eh, so I listened to it, not to sound rude or anything, but the guys were quite bland, sounded like they weren't really into it.

That's a very fair observation, I got that too but I was able to push that aside after the first one because some of the information was just true and down to earth. I really liked the interviews with the label owners as they have given me much to think about now that I'm getting closer to wanting to release stuff.

I have a feeling it will get better over time, I've talked with the guy a bit on ways he can improve the podcast.
the4thImpulse

Return to Technique