A second opinion on my voice

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

A second opinion on my voice

Postby JSynth » 19 Jan 2013 22:42

So, I am working on my second song with original vocals, and I am starting to wonder exactly how good is my voice. The first time around, I used a pitch corrector and a vocal transformer. But this time, I am recording without any wacky effects.

Below, is a raw vocal take from my song. I know I fumble over the lyrics at one point, and I am not worried about that. This is no final take.

https://soundcloud.com/jasper-synth/vocal-take/s-KTWWw

So how good is it exactly? Are there any areas that I should focus on improving?
https://soundcloud.com/jasper-synth/back-at-me
Jokeblue wrote:You fool. You've doomed the Spam thread to yet another, inevitable :3 spam.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

DAW: Logic Pro 9
Plugins: Sylenth, Sausage Fattener, Komplete 9, NI The Mouth, Ozone 5, Bitspeek
JSynth

Primary: Logic 9
Cutie Mark: yo face

Re: A second opinion on my voice

Postby ChocolateChicken » 19 Jan 2013 22:50

My honest opinion is that you have a good singing voice, but your actual singing ability could use a lot of improvement. There are points where it sounds like you fail to hit certain notes and hold notes. I don't doubt that you are able to improve though. Also, there is no shame in using pitch correction or vocal transforming if you want to use such processing.

For areas that you could improve on, I'd start with your ability to sing notes on pitch, as well as holding sustains without losing pitch.
ChocolateChicken

Primary: Logic Pro
Cutie Mark: Blank Flank

Postby MixolydianPony » 19 Jan 2013 22:56

Sounds like you're not providing proper breath support. Sing from your diaphragm. Breathe from your stomach, not your chest. I find that it helps to tighten abdominal muscles and push the air out. Don't just talk on pitch, project the sound out. Try opening your mouth more. Be sure you stand up when you sing. Don't be afraid to be loud, but don't scream, obviously.

Proper breath support will help with hitting pitches and holding notes.

Acoustic, electric, and 12 string acoustic guitarist, always looking for collabs.
MixolydianPony

Postby Stu Beef » 20 Jan 2013 02:26

^^^yes yes yes, do it.

For some more vague advice (which, strangely enough, sometimes works better for some people), RELAX DUDE. You sound uncomfortable with it, like you're reading a script that you don't like. I'm just guessing from the melody that this is some kind of rock song, the kind of rock that is filled with pain and poetry, but also EGO. Sing like you're in a stadium, sing like you da man. That means projection, yes, but also maybe clearer diction? I don't think you'd want to have absolutely perfect pronunciation all the time (that effect would work against you I'd think), but being a little clearer would probably help.

Also, I'm totally not going to explain why, but try singing THROUGH your face. FROM the "core" (diaphragm on down, buddy), but get your voice to go through and out of your face. It doesn't make sense, but it should do something.
Stu Beef

Postby itroitnyah » 20 Jan 2013 07:39

Are you sitting down? Stand up. I've found that I'm standing up, I have much better control over how my voices pitches. Like at 0.03, your voice seems to crack up to an awkward pitch, and it does that at other points, or your voice will sometimes wobble awkwardly on some of the words that you're holding out or stressing, standing up can give you a bit more control over how your voice pitches. Also, practice singing smoothly without the voice cracks or awkward wobbles in your voice. Like you said, this isn't your final take, but it'll help to practice singing it before you start recording.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Raddons » 20 Jan 2013 07:46

slap a compressor on it, you'll be fine
Raddons

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby MixolydianPony » 20 Jan 2013 12:01

^ LIES

Acoustic, electric, and 12 string acoustic guitarist, always looking for collabs.
MixolydianPony

Return to Technique