Where are the brony musicians

This isn't a forum for specifically talking about production or posting your own music, but it is a place to talk about the music you are listening to.

Where are the brony musicians

Postby scootaloomlp » 08 Jan 2017 17:16

Hello i used to listen to the brony musicians music back in like 2012-2014 and i cant find it anymore are you guys still around making music or what has happaned thanks.
scootaloomlp

Primary: Dont have one
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Re: Where are the brony musicians

Postby Pulse Wave » 06 Feb 2017 00:43

Most of the big names (and especially the very big names) quit hanging around at forums altogether. Some of their older music that used to be part of the MLP Music Archive can now be found on Pony.fm. Newer stuff is often only available on Bandcamp, and if you don't want to pay for it, you have to rip it from YouTube with abysmal audio quality due to two- or three-fold lossy compression. If you're lucky, then they offer free downloads with links below their YouTube videos.

That said, some don't even make pony music anymore for various reasons (moved on, contractually forbidden to make fan music, mobbed out of the fandom by their haters...).
Old brony, older than old school.
Gear list, Jabber ID: see my profile.
No FL Studio, no VSTs. No Skype, no YouTube.

Sounds fly through the night, I follow Vın̈yl Scratch to Pony Wonderland.
Pulse Wave

OS: For music, you mean? Debian Buster + bits and pieces of KXStudio.
Primary: Hardware synths and samplers and sequencing and effects and mixing all the way. Plus Qtractor.
Cutie Mark: Green 33% width pulse wave

Postby Sneik » 09 Mar 2017 20:52

Horse music is almost dead in my opinion. Most musicians form "the old guard" left the fandom years ago. Of course there are some exceptions, but there are few of them. There are also some new names, but they do not have so much attention as their older mates used to have, and they haven't improved their skills yet in most cases.
Last edited by Sneik on 19 Apr 2017 12:53, edited 1 time in total.
Sneik

Primary: Not yet specified.

Postby ExoBassTix » 16 Mar 2017 02:42

It's a shame, because we really had something special. But for sure, there are still people making poni poni music. I might only directly know of the Pinkamena Party and Ponies At Dawn collectives (which you should definitely check out; P@D is like the new and better Balloon Party, of which PP is a parody), but I know there's more out there. Like Sneik said, they don't get widespread acclaim anymore because brony music is no longer a thing most bronies want in their lives anymore.

I'd imagine that most people have gotten past their pony music phase. I personally never truly got in it at all (except for that one Harsh Noise split and sporadic pony soundclown memes), but I don't really feel like the decrease in pony music popularity has affected my desire to make pony music that much.
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby Pulse Wave » 26 Jun 2017 05:12

Oh, we do still have very active pony musicians. Look at 4everfreebrony, for example, or the Wasteland Wailers, one of our very music groups. Black Gryph0n still makes music, but he avoids mentioning anything pony, so even IMMortal is mostly only reminiscent of pony.

The main problem, however, is the bronydom's attachment to those who rocked the pony music scene in '11/'12. Those who were around back then will always either keep comparing everything new to the classics (Mic, Tombstone, JackleApp, Eurobeat Brony, Sim Gretina and what have you) or cling to the classics so hard that they don't even notice that there's more to pony music. They tend to skip all music posts on Equestria Daily that don't have any of the old names catching their attention. And newfoals seem to often be indoctrinated into early brony music while being convinced that everything that came after "I Am Octavia" is crap. If they don't know any better, and they often don't, they might buy into that attitude.

It's also true that many brony musicians only used pony as a stepping stone to a career as a big professional pop/EDM producer or rock star. Once they managed to achieve that, they dropped pony altogether (often having no choice due to their contracts) and sometimes even pretended they had never made any pony music. Others have been mobbed out of the whole fandom for good by zealots who used brute force to expel people they didn't like from the fandom.

The controversial popularity of the big names—along with fanbois and fangurls gushing over them and total musical n00bs trying hard to collab with them in order to piggyback on their horse fame—keeps them in the shadows for most of the time, only surfacing when they release something new or attend a con. There's hardly any halfway big name left who still visits any pony forum, and this has been so for years now. They've completely retreated to instant messaging, social networks/microblogging services or even to e-mail.

And it has become increasingly difficult to find good pony music, especially for those who don't closely watch EqD. There are three major distribution channels for pony music, none of which is a pony site. One: YouTube. If you're looking for pony or brony music on YouTube, you have to either already know some names or wade through masses of crud uploaded by fame-whoring but talentless kiddies who think they can become the next Sim Gretina over night. Two: Soundcloud. And that's already far less used than YouTube because YouTube has more users. Needless to say that hardly anypony allows their music to be downloaded from Soundcloud, because three: Bandcamp. If it's quality music by halfway well-known names, you pretty much always have to pay for it. Or rip it from YouTube or Soundcloud and deal with sub-par sound quality. Brony musicians who know they're good seem to always try to turn their pony music into money; what's on Pony.fm is either taken over from other music archives or uploaded by the nameless, faceless mass with next to no listeners.

Pulse Wave

Primary: Hardware synths and samplers and sequencing and effects and mixing all the way. Plus Qtractor.

Postby oldloserwinning » 14 Feb 2018 07:49

the brony musicians
ah, the brony musicians
I'm not a brony musician
I'm not a musician
I,
am a figment you see...
I hate to break this too you:
I really do.
but the show mlp.
doesn't really exist.
we were bored one day...
and I was speaking with ocular about how we could make new interesting music,
and he was like "dude, we should base our music around a show."
and I was like: "that sounds cool, steven universe album all the way!"
but then he was like "dude... no. we need to make our own show, about HORSES."
and at first I was really skeptical, so we looked at shows already made with horses,
and then we found mlp G3
and I said "well this is just trash."
but he insisted, he had a spark man...
and he said "NO. This, is PERFECT."
and we started making music about the ponies, and soon there was this girl named lauren, and she said
"yo dudes, I'm totally going to make a new show from this."
and I was like
"Pfff, whatever crazy hipster lady."
and she actually did,
but it was just a prank bro, so she left,
and then some Ugandans took over the show,
and it was still alright,
it wasn't too bad.
and we kept making music anyway like we always did.
X
oldloserwinning

Postby KennethBy » 14 Dec 2018 08:11

Sneik wrote:Horse music is almost dead in my opinion. Most musicians form "the old guard" use these teeth whitening kits nowadays and left the fandom years ago. Of course there are some exceptions, but there are few of them. There are also some new names, but they do not have so much attention as their older mates used to have, and they haven't improved their skills yet in most cases.

Just imagine a brony band. That would be amazing. We need to make it happen. haha
Last edited by KennethBy on 27 Oct 2023 06:22, edited 2 times in total.
KennethBy

Postby Freewave » 23 Dec 2018 17:28

There's still some people out there actively enjoying making pony music but in comparison to art or other parts of the fandom it barely has a pulse OR a fanbase anymore. I know the last convention i was at in 2016 I was playing to about 10 or 15 people and with about 20 musicians scheduled over 2 days and it just seemed like the scene was over with that kind of ratio. The newer people who make music now hopefully have little to compare it about now and so don't have that feeling of loss there is by the shrink up happening. There are some solid new artists out there but its important to make them feel welcome and loved while they are here. We'll just add them to our long history list. No one will stick around forever.

Support the artists who make music now, the blogs and channels that still support the music, and keep the past alive as well as you can.

http://bronymusiciandirectory.blogspot.com/
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby konsolN » 04 Oct 2019 07:31

I'm working on a Text about the rise and decline of the Fandom, I used to like talking here and did join Remix War V, but dropped off after having some personal problems and nobody really talking much here, new songs getting often no comments.

Thanks freewave and pulsewave, you descriptions are really useful in summarizing how I felt it went down and keeping the section on Music smaller than it would have been otherwise.

There is still good music being made, from old and new creators, but man, nothing even remotly feels like the stuff back then, and I hate how I did actively try to avoid getting sucked into MLP music too much, now I feel like I missed out. Now it's just pony-like, little to no samples, no naming anything from the show etc.

I would like to get back into making music, seeing another post here I wrote back in 2012 about my dreams here made me quite sad about having archived nothing and as nothing else is going on in life, I would have loved to try again, don't know where to go with it though, I wouldn't even know were to start finding a forum like this was. Playful discussions, without seriousness and knowing there is more that we have in common than just wanted to share music we composed.

Also just missing people in general. I didn't have connections in here much, but it was alsways nice to know you could just come on and talk about stuff, or on the IRC room on Ponychat, the whole network is shut down now, but the IRC room was desolate already in 2014, when most other big rooms had people still talking constantly).
I make different kinds of music, often get told that It sounds like something for a Video Game because I make only instrumentals, never had a chance to make music for an actual game. I would love to.

http://soundcloud.com/konsoln

Or visit me, will be on BronyState for some time to come.
konsolN

Primary: LMMS
Cutie Mark: Erlenmeyer Flask

Postby Pulse Wave » 12 Oct 2019 02:40

Your name somehow rings a bell...

Anyway, you're right about how a lot of brony music isn't really clearly pony but what our very own Freewave calls PINO (pony in name only), if at all. It happens at both ends of the scale.

Newbies with little to no budget and little to no prior experience in music making still mostly click together instrumental stuff in FL Studio. Few even seem to bother to include dialogue samples from the show because they have to get these samples from somewhere first. Actual vocals are completely out of question: They can't sing, they can't afford a decent mic (something better than their gaming headset), let alone an audio interface with a decent mic preamp, and the only singers they know are big names who'd probably never collab with a run-of-the-mill newbie. (I mean, I myself wouldn't ask any singer for a collab at this point either, which is why I do all my vocals myself.) So the pony reference comes either from the title or from whatever ripped fanart they slap onto their YouTube video.

The popular and talented big names who sell their music on Bandcamp, on the other hoof, avoid obvious pony references like the plague. Not because of copyright. No, I guess many of them want to become professional musicians and use their pony music as a showcase – without anyone knowing it's fan music about pastel-coloured horses. So us bronies understand the show references, but everyone else doesn't notice them.

That said, there's still something in-between, but not that much.

Pulse Wave

Postby konsolN » 26 Oct 2019 05:50

I spoke to you about something similar last year on the german MLP Forum.

And yeah, I get all the Problems for both newer and established musicians, I'm still a bit sad about it.

And yeah, I used to have a vocals only rip of the first 2 seasons. Finding Vocal extraction of newer Seasons became harder (I think RainShadow still do them). Or due to the recent big DHX/Hasbro leak there are now just tons of recorded voice-lines available. But it really needs a lot of digging. Hell I wanted to compile all the Samples, Stems and Voice-Recordings for people are that would be interested, but I wouldn't even know where to put it for people to find it.
I make different kinds of music, often get told that It sounds like something for a Video Game because I make only instrumentals, never had a chance to make music for an actual game. I would love to.

http://soundcloud.com/konsoln

Or visit me, will be on BronyState for some time to come.
konsolN

Primary: LMMS
Cutie Mark: Erlenmeyer Flask

Return to Music Discussion