Dorm Monitor Help

Want to know more about cables and adapters? Is DJing the right way to go? Which violins go well with your guitar? It's time to find out!

Dorm Monitor Help

Postby Stakeout Punch » 28 Sep 2014 02:20

I found a pair of Polk Audio S4 monitors to use with my Polk sub. All is good with the world my desk.

I'm looking to replace my current speaker setup. At home I had a nice selection of speakers to mix on because my dad is a super audiophile and collects expensive speakers for fun, but sadly he wouldn't let me take the Polk SDA-2Bs I had grown accustomed to halfway across the country...

So I have a Logitech 2.1 system and a Polk 10" sub. I'm currently using my hardware EQ to highpass the Logitechs at around 150Hz because the 2.1 sub is terribly boosted to try and make up for being a terribad 6". The Polk sub is set to come in at 160Hz. For what it is, it sounds nice for regular multimedia playback, but the 2.1 system really SUCKS for mixing and the likes.

I'm looking to get monitors and am currently set on under 5-6" for sure because of the Polk sub. I'm currently looking at Rokit 5s because while I know they have a colored sound, I can get them locally for cheaper than other solutions. However, I have no problem investing in more "expensive" speakers provided it doesn't go above 300$ for a pair. Of course, I would like to not spend a ton of money because college is hella expensive but I'm also well aware that more expensive things tend to be better (not always true but you get the point).

Right now I'm thinking about pairing Audioengine A2+s with the sub. Their small footprint means that I will have more room on my rather narrow desk, and even though their usable range bottoms out at around ~120Hz, my sub can handle matching that. However, their woofer is only 2.75".

With all that being said, any feedback on the Audioengine idea or other suggestions? As you can tell by me considering rokits and a 2.75" woofer size I am not necessarily in the market for the BEST, but I certain would like to get the best I can in the 300$ price range. I'd like to hold onto whatever I end up getting for at least the next few years while I'm in a dorm situation, but I'm definitely going to be getting a real system (like HS80s) later on.

edit: I've come across the Mackie MR5mk3 monitors and they look pretty nice (and Mackie is a reputable brand). Any thoughts on them?

For reference, here is my desk. If I take the shelf the screens are on off, I gain about 3-5 inches of space considering bigger speakers can stick off the edge some.

Also, sorry if this is in the wrong place :???:
Last edited by Stakeout Punch on 25 Feb 2015 13:02, edited 2 times in total.
I rarely visit anymore. Also known as ZeoHeart and Xeno.
https://soundcloud.com/stakeoutpunch/sets/adios-ep
Stakeout Punch

Primary: FL 12 XXL
Cutie Mark: Banhammer

Re: Dorm Monitor Help

Postby Acsii » 07 Oct 2014 06:12

I'd god the rockits however due to odd shape can get annoying because can't put stuff on top of them. So I'd recommend the Yamaha hs-5. You can then also invest in their sub later down the track.
20 something Transgirl that makes sounds called music
Soundcloud | Facebook | Bandcamp | Blog
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Old round oscilloscope

Postby ph00tbag » 23 Jan 2015 12:42

I just love how you've got this whole rig set up for making sik w0bs, and your roommate is rockin' the Beats by Dre.

The two of you will get along just fine.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Injustrial » 23 Jan 2015 12:54

If you buy the Yamaha H5's, you basically must have the sub to go with them, since they're very bright and you're missing out a lot of the low end. This has been a constant problem for me, and I'm saving cash to get the sub and finally be able to produce somewhat clean mixes
Injustrial

Cutie Mark: Sh*t on Fire

Postby NightmareRare » 25 Jan 2015 03:50

For $300 your pretty limited, normally a good set would cost you $600 but try M Audio Studiophile BX8a Studio Monitors I got a pair and they rock! Most sites got them posted at $500 but I found my music stores have dropped them to $300 due to the fact M-audio is moving away from selling monitors as pairs and opting to sell single speakers like the rest of the market.
Hayden Wired
Twitter Time!
Facebook Friend Machine!
---
" I never fell apart because I guess I never really fell together."
- Andy Warhol
NightmareRare

Primary: Ableton
Cutie Mark: Cup of Coffee

Postby Stakeout Punch » 25 Feb 2015 02:30

Injustrial wrote:If you buy the Yamaha H5's, you basically must have the sub to go with them,

I already had a sub when I posted originally :) no issue there.

ph00tbag wrote:The two of you will get along just fine.

Yeah, I goad him about them a lot. When I saw them I made him listen to my ATH-m50s and his brain almost melted. Joking aside we are both software dev majors so even though he's a mainstream edm ep1c club bang3r genre type we get along.

NightmareRare wrote:For $300 your pretty limited, normally a good set would cost you $600 but try M Audio Studiophile BX8a Studio Monitors

If I had actually had money available when I originally posted I probably would have ended up scourging CL for used higher end sets. I'm just not very fond of M-Audio, preferences I guess. It doesn't really matter at this point tho, right now I'm saving to build a desktop to replace my dying laptop. Priorities *shrugs*

As for speakers, over Christmas break I dug out some Polk Audio S4 monitors (6.5" woofer, 1" tweeter) that I knew were somewhere. They are more HiFi than reference but in a small, untreated dorm room I don't think it matters that much. They sound great regardless, very clear. I have them running through my trusty (and dusty) Sony receiver atm. Typical receiver -> sub -> monitor setup for dat internal crossover goodness.

Pic
Note: the sub looks tiny compared to the S4 monitors because of picture angle trickery :>
Stakeout Punch

Postby Acsii » 25 Feb 2015 02:36

I can't tell but is the sub on an iso? because I'd recommend that..
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Postby Stakeout Punch » 25 Feb 2015 02:46

It's got low-profile floor spikes but that's about it, unfortunately.

Edit: I'm assuming you mean isolation to the floor.

I dislike the people under my room anyways /badjoke
Stakeout Punch

Postby Acsii » 25 Feb 2015 03:07

you can buy pretty good quality cheap sub iso's and it'll make the bass a lot smoother as it won't resonate through everything
Acsii

Postby Stakeout Punch » 25 Feb 2015 08:19

I'll look into that, thanks for the insight :)
Stakeout Punch

Postby Injustrial » 17 Apr 2015 15:04

Don't waste your cash. Buy four balls of yarn, unwind them and ball them back up, reaaaally tight. Place one under each Spike. If you did this the right way, the spikes won't penetrate through the balls. Resonance isolation for 2$.

Wanna be even cheaper? Grab four old socks and ball them supertightly like above. BOOM!
Injustrial

Cutie Mark: Sh*t on Fire

Return to Hardware/Tracking/Performance Advice