Rules for Music

Let's hear what you've got, Brony. Feedback is encouraged. Please embed EQBeats, Youtube or Soundcloud.

Re: Rules for Music

Postby Nine Volt » 29 Jul 2013 20:38

Quick-N wrote:What about music edits?

Should be fine. Try not to necro threads in the future. Post dates are in the top right corner of the posts (last post was Aug 26 2012)
Nine Volt

Postby Coloriot » 19 Aug 2013 16:44

Are we allowed to post mixes?
Colorkek that makes computer noises.

What's my main genre? All of them.

[Youtube] [Soundcloud] [EQBeats] [Bandcamp] [Twitter]
Coloriot

Primary: Ableton Live 7
Cutie Mark: Mac Color Wheel of Doom

Postby Paianni » 02 Jun 2014 06:34

Are multiple tracks permitted?
Paianni

Postby eery » 02 Jun 2014 07:37

Not really in the same post, and if you do, you usually end up with low responses. If you post two, I imagine you'd want to critique double as many others to sorta make up for it or whatever.
eery
Global Moderator

Primary: Fruity tools 11
Cutie Mark: dank

Postby ExoBassTix » 03 Jun 2014 16:30

I've seen a few posts containing an album.
I do believe it draws a lot more attention. Because it stands out I guess.
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby HoztileManikyn » 27 Nov 2014 01:31

Could someone be kind enough to enlighten me on the Proper procedure for posting track releases?
I'm not entirely sure what that even means. However, I'm sure that there is a method to this, i just have no idea. :???:
At First I was like (C:) , but then I was like (D:)
https://www.soundcloud.com/hoztil

Follow me on Twitter @HoztileManikyn
Email: [email protected]
HoztileManikyn

Primary: FL Studio, Audacity
Cutie Mark: Three radial bass clefs

Postby eery » 27 Nov 2014 07:28

HoztileManikyn wrote:Could someone be kind enough to enlighten me on the Proper procedure for posting track releases?
I'm not entirely sure what that even means. However, I'm sure that there is a method to this, i just have no idea. :???:

Makkon wrote:-Youtube embeds, direct links, or any other format that is compatible with the board's phpBB code is acceptable.

-Please use external links, we have disabled attachments due to us only having 10 gigs of space. It's easier on the wallet.

-We're implementing a simple tag system, please use these tags in the titles of your threads:

<wip> Work in Progress
<nonpony> Somehow you managed to make a song that has nothing to do with ponies.
<original> Your own original work, not a remix
<remix> A remix of someone else's work. Also applies to remixes of the show. Remixes of your own songs don't need this tag.
<mashup> A combination of several songs in one that go together surprisingly well.
<troll> Not meant to be taken as an honest effort at music.
<parody> A song intended to be a parody or joke of some kind, differs from troll because it could be more than just music, and insinuating that actual effort was put in it's creation.

Some threads are expected to have multiple tags. Threads without <pony> tags are assumed to be non-pony related.

So for the song you posted recently it would be
<remix><genre>HoztileManikyn - Empty eternal darkness
eery
Global Moderator

Postby HoztileManikyn » 03 Dec 2014 08:40

Freewave wrote:genre tags might clutter the forum. i agree something like orchestral might have a more defined and limited audience but why limit who will look into the thread? if authors want to tag their thread titles with genre tags i don't see why they shouldn't be able to though.

Instead of tags, which can get overly complicated very quickly.
I propose, we could have a different topic for each family of genres under the feedback page.
Not individual genres, (that would be a ridiculously massive page), but "root genres", or Genre groups.
For example, Electronic could be on under one topic, Orchestral on another, Rock on another, Hip Hop, ETC. It would all be on one page, but it would consolidate the posts a bit to make it easier to find, discover, and be able to give more feedback on more music based on your individual tastes.
(Not just the the current system, where it's based on; If someone just happens to be on at the time, and your post just so happens to be at the top of the list, you might get noticed by sheer luck.)
This way, members can get more potential exposure for their music.
At First I was like (C:) , but then I was like (D:)
https://www.soundcloud.com/hoztil

Follow me on Twitter @HoztileManikyn
Email: [email protected]
HoztileManikyn

Primary: FL Studio, Audacity
Cutie Mark: Three radial bass clefs

Postby Pulse Wave » 24 Dec 2014 14:53

Can only work as long as everything posted on this forum falls into the same few genres as about 95% of all brony music.

For example, what'd you expect under "Electronic"? Probably those few EDM genres that are all over the place including dubstep and trap. But who'd suspect 80s synthpop, Düsseldorf School electronic music (think Kraftwerk meets ponies) or someone going Switched-On Bach on Makkon's orchestral works in there? No-one. So no-one would go look for such things in there because everyone would expect the usual, the usual and more of the usual.

"Rock" is just as wide a family of genres.

And my experience with the development of Pony.fm tells me that such a choice of categories will inevitably leave out not exactly few genres that nopony would expect as pony music. Where would you put rocksteady? Dancehall? Okay, reggae? Where would you put beat (has been done lots of times already by the Beatle Bronies)? Or funk of any kind?
Old brony, older than old school.
Gear list, Jabber ID: see my profile.
No FL Studio, no VSTs. No Skype, no YouTube.

Sounds fly through the night, I follow Vın̈yl Scratch to Pony Wonderland.
Pulse Wave

OS: For music, you mean? Debian Buster + bits and pieces of KXStudio.
Primary: Hardware synths and samplers and sequencing and effects and mixing all the way. Plus Qtractor.
Cutie Mark: Green 33% width pulse wave

Postby eery » 24 Dec 2014 18:47

honesty i think the current system works considering the traffic. I mean, threads with music usually dont have a long lifespan.

Im assuming everybody lives their life on "todays posts" anyways.
eery
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to General Music Feedback and Advice