Remix War ∞ (8) - Intermission Thread

Remix War ∞ (8) - Intermission Thread

Postby zorg » 19 May 2014 15:50

Hearye hearye; People around the world of equestria and beyond!
'Tis time to rejoice, for we have ourselves a new war of the maketh agains, and for that paired a new challenge!

...in more modern words, RW8's Intermission track.

very important thing: READ THE WHOLE POST! (I'll try to be as concise as ever)

Accepted Submissions Counter: 11 (from 9 individuals)

Links to all intermissions (videos linked in eqbeats track descriptions)

Description:

The tl;dr version: I'm anticipating that many* people will participate in the RW proper again, so this needs to be made.
As last time, to somehow fit with the RW's theming, this intermission will, like the previous one, use per-track renders, so the tracks can be more freely combined with each other...

...which was the main gimmick of the last intermission (and could have been my very special version of hell on myself :3) but this time it actually has a purpose, in that people should submit different styles of tracks, possibly fitting different locations in the world of my little ponies (plural, even shoo-be-doo-land-era style would be an acceptable intermission entry :3)

Video will probably be made even if the sync-listen will be hosted on cellyradio again or something.

Deadline: THE END

The rules:

• The RWVIII Rules about accepted content standards (6th question in the Q&A) applies here as well, though i will waive the ear damage rule for you guys; if i can work that in without it being damaging in the final version, i will. Also, feel free to troll my behind a bit, even though last time, all submissions were fairly mild :3
  • Don't change the Chord Progression!
    You are allowed to alter melody and add and remove from chords as long as it still fits overall.
    (Example from last RW-I of not 100% fitting to the chords given but fitting overall)
  • Don't change the length of the stem!
    You are allowed to alter rhythm, basically giving it a double/half -time feel (even swing and triplets are allowed, just so you know...), if you need; Also, submitting more than one to double your length is, of course, also allowed.
    Exception: A few percussion-only idents will be accepted too, to avert too sudden changes; some snare rolls and rim shots and things like that; it still should conform to the rules, but it can be of less bars of length, as long as it still aligns.
  • No genre restrictions, do try to submit entries in many genres, the more the merrier! :3
    You can even sample from other songs, if you're going for that type of genre/sound, but your entry must still conform to all the rules!
  • If you can't make music per se, how about submitting your voice? or random recordings from around the house? THE WHOLE SPECTRAL SPACE IS YOUR PLAYGROUND MY CHILDREN OF THE WAVE FUNCTIONS.
  • One participant may submit more than one entry if it's style is different enough.
  • PM me your entries on the forum or on Skype, as an archive, with minimum 16bit/44.1KHz WAV renders of each track separately, archive file name should be your preferred artist name, and nothing else; stem names should be "artistname - stemname" but i can rename them if they aren't; it'd just make my life easier :3. (FL users should render with the option "Leave remainder", OpenMPT users can make use of the Instrument mode render option, if they want)
  • You must add an outro to your tracks, that's no longer than half the total track; alternatively, a short tail is sufficient too. It must use the same chords as the first parts of the template.
    You may add an intro to your tracks, that's no longer than half the total track and uses the same chords as the last parts of the template.
  • If you can't follow the rules, or think they are too complex, disregard them and submit anyway, if lady luck is on your side, i might just accept your submission as well! :3

The following image helps to demonstrate some rules:

The chords: (Key: G minor)

Gm | A/C# | F#dim7/C - F#dim7/A | Gm |
F | F/A | Cm - Am7(b5) | Gm

As always, thanks goes to Overkillius for taking the time to transcribe the chords. :3

The MIDI stems (tempo is 135 BPM):

Chords
No example this time, you have plenty from the last RW-s finished tracks :3

Also, P L E A S E do not just put instruments over the example; if you don't have inspiration, listen to the previous intermissions that are linked around the top of this post; be inspired to make dissimilar entries! :3

Here's an example of how i'm expecting your entries: link

Q&A:

Q: Do i need to make a video?
A: Nope, only audio.

Q: Can i REALLY submit more than one entry?
A: Yes, you can, and this time, parts of it may be included in the intermission track.

Q: Can i submit even if i'm not participating in the Remix War?
A: Yes, you can.

Q: Do i need to not suck at mastering?
A: Nope. If you don't, then less work for me, but i will normalize the tracks to each other, so that won't be much of a problem.

Q: I suck, so i won't even consider submitting.
A: That's not even a question, and it's a silly presumption of yourself, which can be unhealthy; :3 Just submit away, let us² decide if it's good or not.

Q: Why couldn't you stick to 90BPM like in RW4?
A: Short answer: Inflation. Long answer: Because i'm not I-pie :3

Q: Why couldn't you stick to 100BPM like in RW5?
A: Short answer: Inflation. Long answer: Because 120 is more generic... and i'm still not I-pie :3

Q: Why couldn't you stick to 120BPM like in RW7?
A: Short answer: Inflation. Long answer: Changing the tempo is fun, because you get other tempi to try out! :3

Q: No, seriously, where's the intermission for RW6¹?
A: Apart from it never happening, it had too few entries, so it didn't need an intermission.

Q: Last time you got my name wrong you dummy! :c
A: Do note one of the rules, if you give me an entry named A+5taeT/A+ET.arj and your name is supposed to be A+5taeT/A+3T, then i won't catch on to that! Be sure to note such problems BEFORE the deadline has passed!

Q: So... if i dump every instrument and sound generator i have onto one track, then render that... i'm good... right?
A: Separate. Them. From. Each. Other. ...Please.

Q: What's per-track render?
A: Render each "instrument" as a separate wav. Edit: If you're layering stuff, then you can render that whole thing as one "instrument", no need to take apart the same thing with different instruments. You can optionally include a render of the whole thing, in case you want to make sure that i recreate the mix correctly (in case you used some ghoulish technique where the song has different levels if rendered in parts than if rendered as a whole, like side-chaining and stuff like that.)

Q: What's an archive?
A: wikipedia article, zip, rar, 7zip.

Q: Do i NEED to use the SPECIFIED chord inversions?
A: Since how chords work, i think you don't NEED to, but you should try to.

Q: How do i PM you my entry?
A: If i have you on Skype, just drag the archive in to the message box; If you're using the PM here, on the forums, then either upload the archive to a file-sharing site, or even better, if you have dropbox, just put it in there, then PM me a link to it.

*: at least π entries
1: RW6 never happened, progapanda brainbleach :3
2: me
Last edited by zorg on 23 Aug 2014 11:30, edited 11 times in total.
^feel free to disregard | genres... what are those? | :3
[collabgeddon] - too much time passed for this
Do feel free to keep in touch through discord: #zorg "eight" "rod" "inverted-E" "four"
zorg

Primary: ILyEAN (v0.0.0.0) [Designing Phase]
Cutie Mark: Usually Invisible

Re: Remix War ∞ (8) - Intermission Thread

Postby FLAOFEI » 19 May 2014 16:41

I'm a bit confused as to the tempo/ the length of the submissions. When I open the midi in Windows media player the clip is about 6s long, but when I open it in Fl and set it to 135 bpm it's much longer...
Mind clearing it up?
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
https://soundcloud.com/flaofei/brothel-king
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
ImageOMG POLKA PLOT!!! BEST ALBUM IN THE HISTORY OF POLKACORE!!!
FLAOFEI

Primary: Fruit Loops 10
Cutie Mark: POLKA PLOT

Postby Makkon » 19 May 2014 21:54

Sounds like the tempo wasn't stored in the midi, so when the midi is played at it's appropriate tempo it's logically going to be longer.

This sounds fun! I'll see if I can muster the time.
youtube | deviantart | tumblr

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby zorg » 19 May 2014 22:24

Issue with the template was that i forgot i messed around with the tempo and as makkon said, forgot to export its value... should be fixed now; 135 BPM, and the template is doubled so it's 14 secs long. Have fun :3
Do feel free to keep in touch through discord: #zorg "eight" "rod" "inverted-E" "four"
zorg

Postby Makkon » 19 May 2014 22:52

[edit] had a question about the length of the stem, answered it by reading the post again. As you were.
youtube | deviantart | tumblr

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby Overkillius » 20 May 2014 20:53

zorg wrote:The chords: (Key: G minor)

F | F/A | Cm - Am(b5) | G

As always, thanks goes to Overkillius for taking the time to transcribe the chords. :3

I made a couple of mistakes. Here are the actual chords in the midi template.
F | F/A | Cm - Am7(b5) | Gm
> Music Youtube! <
>>>> Tumblr! <<<<
Overkillius wrote:The bad thing about music... is that it is subjective.
The good thing about music... is that it is subjective!
Overkillius

Primary: Reaper, Famitracker
Cutie Mark: #9 Chords

Postby zorg » 20 May 2014 21:51

okay, i edited the first post, the chords are now correct.
zorg

Postby Stuntddude » 22 May 2014 05:42

The most fun part of this may be coming up with ridiculous genres to submit and justifying what part of Equestria they'd be from.
Notebook Memories, the debut album from yours truly, is currently up on my bandcamp for free. Any feedback, encouragement, hate mail, etc. is highly appreciated! Even just listening is pretty cool of you tbh.
eery wrote:Next gen gaming: Just fucking get a dog.
Stuntddude

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: { }

Postby zorg » 23 May 2014 07:11

I'm planning on doing at least a monthly post here saying which (major) genre we have the most submissions of, and genres the intermission lacks the most, just to inform you guys on the progress of this thing;

Though, if this gets caught on, i might do a post bi-weekly or even weekly. (Don't want to double/triple/ultra/MONSTER post though, so we'll see what happens :3)

Also, please feel free to spread this thing around on your web platforms of choice, the more submissions the more variety the end result will have! (e.g. twitter, tumblr, tacebook, toundcloud...)

Currently, the jazz genre has the most entries, so chiptunes, metal, orchestral, and basically everything else is welcome (more jazz too, of course).
zorg

Postby Mush » 14 Jun 2014 09:18

I have been throwing as many ideas as I can at this midi file, but they always sound so depressing. Tis a shame we can't change it to sound happier.
Mad tunes on my channel yo.
Mush's YouTube

Pixels are your friend, buy them a beer.

Hey, want to chat? Add me on skype: stevenmagnet
Mush

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Synthesis

Postby zorg » 19 Jun 2014 12:31

Mush wrote:I have been throwing as many ideas as I can at this midi file, but they always sound so depressing. Tis a shame we can't change it to sound happier.

zorg wrote:If you can't follow the rules, or think they are too complex, disregard them and submit anyway, if lady luck is on your side, i might just accept your submission as well! :3

Look, this should not feel like a job, but if you legit considered making something, but throwing it away because it didn't fit all the rules, then bend them a bit. Only after i see the big picture can i ask for any modifications, and usually even that isn't needed.

Collabbing on music like this is a(n NP-)hard problem, so there are many hurdles; the rules are guidelines, and if that last part i quoted wasn't too noticeable (or worded badly), then i apologize.

To wrap it up, the more stuff gets submitted, the better chances are that i can make a diverse enough intermission track that's ever evolving thanks to the userbase's contributions; in other places, i might need to insert some stuff myself, but that's usually not that much.

Oh, one more thing; not that it was noticeable, but i was a bit missing from the net for the past few weeks; i got a new computer and was madly reinstalling everything i needed (and i'm still not done :3), but i will be ready by the start of july, with hope.
zorg

Postby PhillyPu » 10 Jul 2014 19:32

Looks like something I might work on. Is it really the eighth remix war already????
PhillyPu

Postby zorg » 26 Jul 2014 09:08

PhillyPu wrote:Is it really the eighth remix war already????

Yeah, time flies like electricity, right? :3
Although the first 3 RWs happened in the same year iirc, so yeah, back then it was an even faster pace.

Also, update: two more submissions accepted which brings the counter up to 6; wubz and chips this time

The scales at the moment: 1 Orch - 2 Jazz - 2 Chip - 1 Wub
In my experience, i'd need at least this amount more (another 6 entries) for me not to spam filler everywhere into the track, so don't shy away, and keep them coming! All your submissions are appreciated! :3
zorg

Postby zorg » 20 Aug 2014 03:54

Bump because somewhat important, khm;

YOU CAN STILL SUBMIT!

this announcement brought to you by bread on marmite entertainment enterprises llc. ussr. inc. (tm) (hm) (ↄ)

edit: NO LONGER

thanks for playing, everyone; be anticipated for the ponegirls arcade fighter ost's first track in the middle of the sync!

edit^2: link to this at the top / in the first post, turned out decent (though imo rw7's wins still :3)
zorg

Return to Remix War