TrotCon music panel

Do you have a project proposal that should involve music? Looking for collaborations? See if the community would like to help you.
Forum rules
Please be respectful towards musicians who are contemplating whether to help you or not.

TrotCon music panel

Postby CitricAcid » 31 Jan 2014 11:24

If you aren't going to TrotCon, then you can probably disregard this post.

I plan on submitting a panel application for a panel which attempts to teach the audience how to produce music. I'm having a tough time finding enthusiastic help. The idea is to get panelists on stage with laptops running DAWs and have each produce some music while walking the audience through the process and answering questions from the audience. It would resemble a cooking show in terms of preparedness--the synths/instruments would already be chosen, idea already formed, and all that's left is to put the music on the page.

I need to find a couple more people who are 1) going to TrotCon, 2) have their DAW on their laptop, and 3) feel they are capable of teaching others how they produce. Does this interest anyone here?
Image Image Image
CitricAcid

Primary: Cubase
Cutie Mark: Music scroll

Re: TrotCon music panel

Postby ClaviSound » 31 Jan 2014 12:06

Damn, if I knew how to produce, I would so take you up on that offer.

That said, I'll certainly attend it if possible to learn for myself, that would be really cool to see. And if I catch you, I'll make sure to ask for an autograph as well.
aka Scott Hopkins aka Swerve Keystyle aka Equestrian Threat: https://www.youtube.com/c/EquestrianThreat

I can't type cursive, so I don't know what's supposed to go in my signature.

Don't quote me.
ClaviSound

Primary: Audacity cuz sweg, Ableton
Cutie Mark: N/A

Postby Freewave » 01 Feb 2014 07:58

"at the Sheraton Columubus at Capitol Square"

So is this in US? And if so what city, state? I really hate when the basic information is hidden for a convention just to see where its located in the larger country...
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby azerty » 01 Feb 2014 08:33

Freewave wrote:"at the Sheraton Columubus at Capitol Square"

So is this in US? And if so what city, state? I really hate when the basic information is hidden for a convention just to see where its located in the larger country...

Yup, it's in the US, specifically in Columbus, Ohio.

I've actually been there myself for some other occasions, so luckily I remembered the name, but like you said, I can't understand why they'd just mention the hotel name as if everyone knew exactly where it's at. Ah, well, now you know what you need to.
My YouTube (everything except music)
My SoundCloud
My Twitter @azertymusic (...wait, I have a Twitter?)

>>16555555
azerty

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: The Shogun Audio symbol

Postby Marshmelon » 06 Feb 2014 11:34

If I had my DAW on a laptop, I'd make a point of going to TROT so I could participate in this!
Sounds cool, good luck.
Marshmelon

Postby CitricAcid » 06 Feb 2014 11:59

I actually plan to borrow a laptop for this, since I too don't normally use my DAW on my laptop. This is when having software whose licenses reside on USB dongles is handy.
Image Image Image
CitricAcid

Postby BluNoseReindeer » 27 Mar 2014 07:29

I'd actually be interested in attending and possibly helping out with this, but you want it to specifically be electronic music production or do you want it to be music production in general? I tend to use both acoustic recordings and some elements of electronic music production when I make music.
BluNoseReindeer
Jack of All Trades Musician, Singer, Songwriter and percussionist
BluNoseReindeer

Postby CitricAcid » 27 Mar 2014 08:32

BluNoseReindeer wrote:I'd actually be interested in attending and possibly helping out with this, but you want it to specifically be electronic music production or do you want it to be music production in general? I tend to use both acoustic recordings and some elements of electronic music production when I make music.

The initial idea was to have the panelists represent different genres and produce something for the audience. I can do orchestral, but if the audience had questions about making dubstep or other electronic music, I might be at a loss. Having someone with recording experience like yourself could be useful, too.

As I've given this idea more thought, I think that producing something on stage might be a bit too ambitious, though I haven't scrapped the concept yet. In any case, the panel should serve these purposes:
1. Get the non-musicians in the audience excited about music production and encourage them to try it.
2. Give everyone a crash course in how to produce, music theory, etc.
3. Give basic advice (software, classes to take, instruments to learn, etc.) and answer any questions the audience has on how music is made.

Basically I want to cover all the things that there isn't time for at the main musicians panel in a more intimate setting. If you think you can do that, then I would welcome the help.
Image Image Image
CitricAcid

Postby BluNoseReindeer » 03 Apr 2014 07:34

I wouldn't mind, but it would be good to formulate a basic outline of the plan for the panel. I could probably fill the panel just talking about one facet of producing music, whether it be songwriting & music theory, Recording/entering information into a DAW, Sound Design, or Even Mixing. Some things could be covered more in depth, but time will ultimately decide how long to stay on a subject. You can hit me up on skype if you wanna talk more about it, i'll probably respond alot faster there too.

millenniumkaiba
BluNoseReindeer
Jack of All Trades Musician, Singer, Songwriter and percussionist
BluNoseReindeer

Return to Pony Fan Project Recruitment