Discorded: The Game Begins

Non-music works of yours and others' making. Art, poetry, fimfics, and more. Member specific threads are encouraged (e.g. a sketchbook).

Discorded: The Game Begins

Postby Hallow » 12 Jan 2012 15:26

First off, I'd like to begin with saying hello to all my fellow bronies C: Secondly, I'd like to tell you a little about who I am.

Hi, I'm Hallow, head of the newly-founded Vesrea Studios. Our current project is an MLP:FiM fangame entitled "Discorded: The Game Begins," revolving around the newly-rediscovered Elements of Discord. If any of you would like to assist in the making of this game, please give our website (http://vesreastudios.weebly.com) a glance, and if you still would like to help, please apply within the specified section of our forum.

If you have no development skills, but still would like to see this game completed, feel free to follow our website, forums, and ask questions here. I promise to answer them all.
Hallow

Re: Discorded: The Game Begins

Postby X-Trav » 12 Jan 2012 15:56

Give me some time to read that story and make some music to it, i'll be sure to submit it asap.
Long time pianist and mediocrity extraordinaire.

Current Projects:
Manestream media
    EOE003
Call of The Crusaders
Album
X-Trav

Postby Hallow » 12 Jan 2012 19:31

Thanks! I don't have many musically-inclined friends, and the ones that I do have currently possess no interest in MLP, so finding this forum and getting a response was amazing! I'd be an honor to welcome you or any other member of this forum to the team! C:
Hallow

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 12 Jan 2012 20:36

Seems very early in development to be asking for music already...usually, music is one of the things done towards the end of the production cycle...
NOT to put you down or anything, I'd love to have a crack at writing some music for it, but there's not enough information for me, personally, to get a clear idea on what you want.
Dungeon-esque could mean anything. I've written some very nice dungeon-esque stuff for something dark and sinister, but I don't recall any of my pieces that have been released fit a Final-Fantasy-esque dungeon for example...

I guess what I'm trying to say is: care to give us some more info about the game/team? :P

Also, just something I want to check, here's a blurb in the forums:
"Vesrea Studios is a game-creating team with a goal of bringing you the best games for the lowest price."
Are you planning to sell this game, or is it going to be a free game?

Thanks in advance for answering!
Tubeyou
You are the hero My Little Remix deserves, not the one it needs.
So we’ll hunt you. Because you can take it. Because you’re not our hero.
You’re a silent guardian of music, a watchful protector of songs.
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby X-Trav » 12 Jan 2012 21:43

Dr_Dissonance wrote:I'd love to have a crack at writing some music for it

WELP, THAT'S HARD TO BEAT. FUUUUU.
Long time pianist and mediocrity extraordinaire.

Current Projects:
Manestream media
    EOE003
Call of The Crusaders
Album
X-Trav

Postby Hallow » 13 Jan 2012 14:56

@ the Doctor
Hm...I didn't know that writing the music came last. I'll keep that in mind.
By dungeon-esque, I just mean something along the lines of a creepy, stone-walled dungeon, much like those below castles. I'm not using any game as an example, because I want this to be original, but then again, I know games can have a different definition of "dungeon" than most people do x3 I do own a Final Fantasy game, but I JUST got it along with several other games, so I haven't even started on it yet to know what you're meaning by FF dungeons. I have played Mystery Dungeon games, so I'll assume they're similar to those?

As for the game itself, we're planning to make it not gory (despite requests to add blood and guts) or TOO violent, so that MLP's intended audience can enjoy it, but also blend in enough fighting, challenge, and suspense to please the older brony audience as well. Each of the mane six will be playable, once unlocked--the player will start with only Twilight Sparkle--and each character will have their own special traits and abilities that can be used to solve various challenges presented throughout the game.

To be honest, I would LOVE to sell this game...I could actually pay the team and have money to work on getting higher-quality software for future projects...but, unfortunately, neither myself nor anyone on the team has the rights to My Little Pony xD This game, and possible future games in the series, will be free. Other games outside of the Discorded series that involve our original content, however, will be sold for cheap prices (we're planning less than $10).
Hallow

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 13 Jan 2012 18:37

Nice, well you seem to know what you're doing!
I have to check these days, as I've had a few requests for game music and then it turns out the 'team' is usually a bunch of kids who don't know what they're doing...
Incidentally, have you recruited many people for this?

Also, X-TRAV! Submit, you shall be a worthy opponent!
I'll have a crack at dungeon-esque once my schedule opens up (might not be for a week or two)
Tubeyou
You are the hero My Little Remix deserves, not the one it needs.
So we’ll hunt you. Because you can take it. Because you’re not our hero.
You’re a silent guardian of music, a watchful protector of songs.
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby Hallow » 15 Jan 2012 22:19

@Dr
So far, I have an official team and an unofficial team. The official team is just me and some other voice actors so far. The unofficial team is myself and some brony friends who dabble in music, art, and one who knows some programming. I have been begging, literally begging, the unofficial team to come audition for permanent spots--I don't want to let them on unfairly and make the people that actually had to work for a place upset--and even though all but one of them are interested and have the time, they have proven themselves to be too lazy to get it done x3 So far, I just use the unofficial team for stuff like "I don't know how to do this, can you give me some pointers?" and "I have this idea. Does it sound good?" They won't be involved in any of the major development process without a fair audition.

However, as you can kinda see, I've been posting on as many MLP forums as possible in an attempt to recruit more new team members. When I have the chance, I plan on hitting development forums next, though this is something I wanted to avoid because brony haters (shivers). I'm working as hard as I can within my internet time limit to work on this project. xD I mean, normally, I just browse some memes and whatnot, but ever since starting this, I haven't used my computer to view a single meme, aside from ones that just popped up on MLP forums I visited. I guess it would be easier to say that I haven't gone looking for memes. x3

@CGEyeGuy
Those models are nice! The Smarty Pants one makes me want to add Smarty Pants in the game, for no other reason than to just have it there. x3
Hallow

Postby natsukashi » 17 Jan 2012 11:28

What is the story behind your studio name and will you have a running style in your games? I.e. fear, friendship, specific artstyle and so on?
ToastbeardERS03:
23:32:35 <natsukashi> I played this for my mom
23:32:48 <J4CKL3-4PP> "now I'm an orphan"
natsukashi

Postby Hallow » 17 Jan 2012 15:34

@Natsukashi
First off, I LOVE your avatar. Rainbow Dash is my hero.

To answer your first question, Vesrea is a combination of the words "twilight" (vespere) and "golden" (aurea). We thought that "Aurspere" sounded too much like "Aura Sphere," which is a Pokemon attack (yes I am a Pokemon nerd. I grew up on the stuff. It's my drug.) So we went with Vesrea. It's a little weird, I suppose, meaning "twilight golden" if taken literally, but maybe we could pretend there's an imaginary "is" in there somewhere and say "twilight is golden." x3

Different series of games will maintain different styles. No two series will be the same. The Discorded series will carry themes of friendship in times of hardship, and learning to face your fears--no matter how afraid you are. The art style will mimic MLP:FiM as closely as possible, while another game series that isn't even going to be officially worked on until the first Discorded game is complete will boast more realistic graphics. It all depends on the feel of the game.
Hallow

Postby natsukashi » 17 Jan 2012 15:42

Thank you!
I found the lack of a logotype for your company disturbing, which is why I asked those questions. I am also interested in trying out FX design, but I have no prior experience in that field. Should you not find anypony more competent I am willing to give it a go. :3
ToastbeardERS03:
natsukashi

Postby Hallow » 17 Jan 2012 16:22

Oh, I see. I don't like the lack of a logo either, but right now, logos just don't feel as important as other things. x3

I have one friend interested in FX, who also has no experience, but that's all I've gotten so far in that field. I was actually wondering if maybe we would have to go this game without FX, and just use background music as the only noise in the game--aside from the voice actors. I know that there are games out there without FX, so I figured it wouldn't be a huge strike against us, but still! Every extra step we take to make the game 20% cooler makes it, well, 20% cooler.
Hallow

Postby natsukashi » 17 Jan 2012 16:46

Well, the only way to get us to learn is by doing, and seeing as the project is free, you have nothing to lose from using either of us or both. FX is the soul of a game when done correctly (Good example: Planescape torment has ambient sounds that indicate daily activities such as cooking during daytime and ambient sounds for nocturnal critters such as rats for nighttime. It's easy to miss, but it's genious when you realize what they did!)

A good logotype is important for profiling yourselves. It will add to the trademark and make you look more respectable. I am running designs in my head right now but I have yet to come up with something what captures your company.
ToastbeardERS03:
natsukashi

Postby Hallow » 18 Jan 2012 13:44

Hm. I never thought about the FX being that important...x3

I am an artist myself, and I took a class on commercial art that involved making logos, potential company mascots, ads, and Photoshopping models (though that last one should be illegal if it's sold. We were just doing it for the heck of it and to learn Photoshop, but it irks me when magazine people do that.) I couldn't stop thinking of potential logos after talking to you yesterday, and I think I've settled on one. I haven't made it yet, but based on the design in my head, I figured that I would use a sunset-like gradient on the bottom layer, place a black layer on top of it, erase through the black to make the words "Vesrea Studios," and then make all of it transparent except for the gradient logo and an outline of black around the words. If I had more than just GIMP at my disposal, maybe I could just make the gradient letters and add the outline without such hassle, but meh. I work with what I've got c:
Hallow

Postby natsukashi » 18 Jan 2012 16:59

Through school I have commercial licenses for the whole adobe suite! Is it possible to open gimp-files in Photoshop and vice versa? If so, then I can help you out with getting the desired outcome.
Do you use skype, msn or any other IM service?
ToastbeardERS03:
natsukashi

Postby CGEyeGuy » 18 Jan 2012 17:15

natsukashi wrote:Is it possible to open gimp-files in Photoshop and vice versa?

Yes you can, Gimp saves to .psd and can open them as well.

I was wondering about the game engine you are planning on using for this.
Is it a commercial, self programmed, or opensource?
Also how many tris can a model have?
What type of maps are there allowed in it?(Normal,Displacement,Specular,Ambient Occlusion, etc)
Also what type of model does it need to be exported in?
CGEyeGuy

Postby Hallow » 19 Jan 2012 15:35

The engine is Blitz3D. It's known for not appearing to be powerful, but I've seen YouTube videos of games created with this engine that say along the lines of "I didn't think this engine was supposed to be powerful! You make it look like a game Sega would be jealous of!" (they were all Sonic the Hedgehog games. Apparently, that's the most popular thing to create with Blitz3D)

It's commercial. Apparently, one of the cheapest for its kind, but still good-quality. However, still more than I can afford. I am currently, and will be for the next month, using the trial version. The trial doesn't expire and can do everything the full version can do, EXCEPT export games. If I want to share my game with anyone, I have to buy it, which makes sense. I'm just grateful that it doesn't expire ^^;

As for the other questions, they're ones I want the answers to myself. I haven't made it to that part of the book I bought that explains the program, seeing as I have recently finished the coding section and want to make sure that knowledge is secure before I move on to graphics, and I would LOVE to ask on the forums since the website doesn't say, but to post on the forums, you have to have a full version of the software....(facehoof) It just occurred to me that I could Google it. I'll do that

As for types of models, I do know a little something. They had a list of compatible modeling programs on their website, and I remember Blender being on there (it stuck out to me because that's the program I have). I don't know what kind of filetype it'd need to be saved as, but whatever it is, it's on Blender.

Sorry for knowing so little. This is a new program to me--I'm used to other 2D ones, but I've never tried 3D before. It's exciting, but challenging and rewarding at the same time.
Hallow

Return to Pony Fan Works Gossip