Remix War 5++ (7) - Intermission Thread

Remix War 5++ (7) - Intermission Thread

Postby zorg » 13 Aug 2013 13:02

--> RW7 Intermission video here, with thanks to Resonant Waves! <--

Hey guys, here's the next remix war after RW5¹, and that means, INTERMISSION MUSIC TIME AGAIN!

very important thing: READ THE WHOLE POST

Accepted Submission Counter: 12+1

Links to the RW4 and RW5 intermission videos:

Description:

Oh look, i'm still making this thread and arranging the tracks. Since remix wars have become this big, the need for intermissions arose. We did it last time¹, and we did it the time before that.
This time, there's something extra; since the current RW is about genre mixing, i decided to ask for per-track renders to this, so the tracks can be more freely combined with each other!
...on the other hand, i'm making my own life more miserable with this, but anything for your entertainment. :3

Note, if i fail to make the whole decent sounding enough, this per-track thing will revert back to me aligning each of your stems and only ordering them, as it was with the last intermission; no reason to be afraid of something new, but always have a backup plan :3

Videos will not be made (at least none will be needed), since this time, the sync-listen will happen through celestia radio, though later, i might reconsider just so it'll be out there.

EDIT^3: Deadline: passed

The rules:

• The RWVII Rules about accepted content standards (10th question in the Q&A) applies here as well, though i will waive the ear damage rule for you guys; if i can work that in without it being damaging in the final version, i will. Also, feel free to troll my behind a bit, last time i enjoyed those screams and declarations of hermaphrodites as monotone rap... really :3
  • Don't change the Chord Progression!
    You are allowed to alter melody and add and remove from chords as long as it's still fitting.
  • Don't change the length of the stem!
    You are allowed to alter rhythm, basically giving it a double/half -time feel, if you need.
    Exception: A few percussion-only idents will be accepted too, to avert too sudden changes; some snare rolls and rim shots and things like that; it still should conform to the rules, but it can be of less bars of length, as long as it still aligns.
  • No genre restrictions, do try to submit entries in many genres, the more the merrier! :3
    You can even sample from other songs, if you're going for that type of genre/sound, but your entry must still conform to all the rules!
    If you can't make music per se, how about submitting your voice? or random recordings from around the house? THE WHOLE SPECTRAL SPACE IS YOUR PLAYGROUND MY CHILDREN OF THE WAVE FUNCTIONS.
  • One participant may submit more than one entry if it's style is different enough.
  • PM me your entries on the forum or on Skype, as an archive, with minimum 16bit/44.1KHz WAV renders of each track separately, archive file name should be your preferred artist name. (FL users should render with the option "Leave remainder", OpenMPT users can make use of the Instrument mode render option)
  • You must add an outro to your tracks, that's no longer than half the total track; alternatively, a short tail is sufficient too. It must use the same chords as the first parts of the template.
    You may add an intro to your tracks, that's no longer than half the total track and uses the same chords as the last parts of the template.

The following image helps to demonstrate some rules:

The chords: (Key: D minor)

Dm^1, A, Gm^2, A, Dm^2, C, Bb, Asus4 -> A
(^n are inversion marks, b is flat)

(thanks, Overkillius :3)

The MIDI stems (tempo is 120 BPM):

Chords
Example
Example for a 60 bpm feel (removed every second chord also)
Note: i've added a tail to the example to stress the importance of the ending bit needing to be the same chord as the starting one.
Also, P L E A S E do not just put instruments over the example; if you don't have inspiration, listen to the previous intermissions that are linked around the top of this post; be inspired to make dissimilar entries! :3

Here's an example of how i'm expecting your entries: link

Q&A:

Q: Do i need to make a video?
A: Nope, only audio.

Q: Can i REALLY submit more than one entry?
A: Yes, you can, and this time, parts of it may be included in the intermission track.

Q: Can i submit even if i'm not participating in the Remix War?
A: Yes, you can.

Q: Do i need to not suck at mastering?
A: Nope. If you don't, then less work for me, but i will normalize the tracks to each other, so that won't be much of a problem.

Q: I suck, so i won't even consider submitting.
A: That's not even a question, and it's a silly presumption of yourself, which can be unhealthy. Just submit away, let us² decide if it's good or not.

Q: Why couldn't you stick to 90BPM like in RW4?
A: Short answer: Inflation. Long answer: Because i'm not I-pie :3

Q: Why couldn't you stick to 100BPM like in RW5?
A: Short answer: Inflation. Long answer: Because 120 is more generic... and i'm still not I-pie :3

Q: Where's the intermission for RW6¹?
A: ...GET OUT D;

Q: Where's the extended take of RW5 intermission?
A: :3

Q: Last time you got my name wrong you dummy! :c
A: Do note one of the rules, if you give me an entry named A+5taeT/A+ET.arj and your name is supposed to be A+5taeT/A+3T, then i won't catch on to that! Be sure to note such problems BEFORE the deadline has passed!

Q: So... if i dump every instrument and sound generator i have onto one track, then render that... i'm good... right?
A: You funny, i kill you last :3 (srsly, separate them from each other)

Q: What's per-track render?
A: Render each "instrument" as a separate wav. Edit: If you're layering stuff, then you can render that whole thing as one "instrument", no need to take apart the same thing with different instruments. You can optionally include a render of the whole thing, in case you want to make sure that i recreate the mix correctly (in case you used some ghoulish technique where the song has different levels if rendered in parts than if rendered as a whole, like sidechaining and stuff like that.)

Q: What's an archive?
A: wikipedia article, zip, rar, 7zip.

Q: Do i NEED to use the SPECIFIED chord inversions?
A: Since how chords work, i think you don't NEED to, but you should try to.

Q: How do i PM you my entry?
A: If i have you on Skype, just drag the archive in to the message box, if using the PM here, on the forums, then either upload the archive to a filesharing site, or even better, if you have dropbox, just put it in there, then PM me a link to it.

1: RW6 never happened, progapanda brainbleach :3
2: me
Last edited by zorg on 03 Oct 2013 10:05, edited 39 times in total.
^feel free to disregard | genres... what are those? | :3
[collabgeddon] - too much time passed for this
Do feel free to keep in touch through discord: #zorg "eight" "rod" "inverted-E" "four"
zorg

Primary: ILyEAN (v0.0.0.0) [Designing Phase]
Cutie Mark: Usually Invisible

Re: Remix War 5++ (7) - Intermission Thread

Postby Supersaw Hoover » 13 Aug 2013 13:12

yes
Supersaw Hoover

Postby Camsy » 13 Aug 2013 18:49

I'll probably put something together again. :)
Support me on Youtube and Facebook.
Camsy

Primary: Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: Jack-of-all-trades

Postby Sonarch » 14 Aug 2013 23:17

I'll consider doing something for this. When do they need to be in?
My goal is to be capable of making any kind of music that strikes my fancy, and do it well.
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Primary: FL Studio

Postby Camsy » 15 Aug 2013 00:30

Sonarch wrote:I'll consider doing something for this. When do they need to be in?

zorg wrote:Deadline: before RWVII's deadline (16th of september); i'm not going to be too specific, that hinders some, but it won't be the last day.

Come on, he even made it nice and large font...
Camsy

Postby Sonarch » 15 Aug 2013 00:53

Camsy wrote:
Sonarch wrote:I'll consider doing something for this. When do they need to be in?

zorg wrote:Deadline: before RWVII's deadline (16th of september); i'm not going to be too specific, that hinders some, but it won't be the last day.

Come on, he even made it nice and large font...

Oh wow, my bad. I can't even believe I just made that kind of mistake... haha alright
My goal is to be capable of making any kind of music that strikes my fancy, and do it well.
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Primary: FL Studio

Postby Wobble » 15 Aug 2013 18:37

So, (new user here, sorry) does a song submitted to the intermission have to also be a remix?
Wobble

Primary: FL Studio 10.0.0
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby zorg » 16 Aug 2013 01:52

in a way, because you need to use the chord stems that i've provided... please read the first post (care)fully, else a foal gets introduced to milky way, and get scarred for life :v

EDIT: i've edited the first post to STRESS the more important parts of the rules.
Do feel free to keep in touch through discord: #zorg "eight" "rod" "inverted-E" "four"
zorg

Postby zorg » 19 Sep 2013 22:09

last notice bump, remaining time: ~18 hours
(i already started structuring the thing though, but since only 10 entries were sent in, i'm still accepting)
zorg

Postby Camsy » 20 Sep 2013 10:41

Sounds like this entire remix war has been much smaller this time round. Last one we had, we had like 20min worth of interlude material.
Camsy

Postby zorg » 20 Sep 2013 16:06

Yeah, though this round was different..., since i asked for stems, the total stem number is around 83, last round, the total (excluding old, fixed entries) entry count was 66.
Soooo, in a way, this was successful... :3
zorg

Postby FLAOFEI » 20 Sep 2013 16:56

Darn you for not leting me finnish on time (the deadline you set before ends in an hour btw :sad: )

Oh well, Ill probably send it anyway...
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
https://soundcloud.com/flaofei/brothel-king
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
ImageOMG POLKA PLOT!!! BEST ALBUM IN THE HISTORY OF POLKACORE!!!
FLAOFEI

Primary: Fruit Loops 10
Cutie Mark: POLKA PLOT

Postby Camsy » 20 Sep 2013 18:39

zorg wrote:Yeah, though this round was different..., since i asked for stems, the total stem number is around 83, last round, the total (excluding old, fixed entries) entry count was 66.
Soooo, in a way, this was successful... :3

Do you think maybe the requirement to send stems caused a bunch of people to go 'cba' when it came to making something for this?
Camsy

Postby zorg » 20 Sep 2013 19:09

it could have been the tl;dr block of text instead of the extra effort to render their entries separately
in retrospect, if i had gotten 80 entries, that would have meant around 500 stems... and i'm still messing around with the current ones (on the other hand, i could have more genres to choose from)

btw: flaofei entry accepted because i'm still working on the arrangement.
zorg

Postby zorg » 03 Oct 2013 10:08

final update: video linked, you can get the mp3 by following the link in the video description :3
zorg

Postby Camsy » 03 Oct 2013 17:49

I missed it in the livestream, but that was amazing, not only the songs from everyone but the way you've arranged them as well.
Camsy

Postby zorg » 10 Jan 2014 15:29

Camsy wrote:I missed it in the livestream, but that was amazing, not only the songs from everyone but the way you've arranged them as well.

Necropost to say thank you :3 (and sorry for necroing proper)

See you all next time, hopefully on RW8's Intermission :3
zorg

Return to Remix War