Tell me if my hypothesis is correct. (Dubstep Discussion)

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Re: Tell me if my hypothesis is correct. (Dubstep Discussion

Postby ExoBassTix » 09 Aug 2013 04:09

Bradley noticed that there's no difference between old Metallica and new Metallica.
Well, I wanna jump in there. Because there is. The St. Anger album consisted of Thrash Metal, which they didn't make before or after.

Different.

We separate those genres. How many damn sub-genres does Heavy Metal have that sound so much like each other, but still have a little distinguishable difference? Yea, a lot.
House and Trance have craploads of sub-genres too, and some sound very similar too, but yet they still have a difference.
Dubstep is more different than Brostep, compared to the difference between some Heavy Metal, House and Trance sub-genres.

So what are we whining about? If the two were separated, think about it, this discussion wasn't necessary. People who like Brostep would leave Dubstep alone, and people who like Dubstep would leave Brostep alone. Peace for all.
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby ph00tbag » 09 Aug 2013 04:59

Part of that has to do with the music's underlying philosophy, and the tendency of the musicians to dabble.

Techno has, what? four or five subgenres at most, and its sound can vary wildly from harsh, percussive repetitions of the same two beats, to soulful, progressive polyrhythms. But the membranes of these sounds are permeable because of the underlying philosophy of futurism behind techno, and so they don't usually constrain techno artists to one subgenre.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Freewave » 09 Aug 2013 08:58

ph00tbag wrote:Part of that has to do with the music's underlying philosophy, and the tendency of the musicians to dabble.

Techno has, what? four or five subgenres at most, and its sound can vary wildly from harsh, percussive repetitions of the same two beats, to soulful, progressive polyrhythms. But the membranes of these sounds are permeable because of the underlying philosophy of futurism behind techno, and so they don't usually constrain techno artists to one subgenre.

Hmmmm not reallly....techno is a lot more interesting and diverse then that
http://rateyourmusic.com/list/TheScient ... t__techno/
Sure many of those weren't given official subgenre names but they were stylistic differences.

People always forget about Wonky and Purple when it comes to dusbtep too. But yeah music genres get diverse that is true, it's going to happen.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Freewave » 09 Aug 2013 09:00

ExoBassTix wrote:Dubstep is more different than Brostep, compared to the difference between some Heavy Metal, House and Trance sub-genres.

So what are we whining about? If the two were separated, think about it, this discussion wasn't necessary. People who like Brostep would leave Dubstep alone, and people who like Dubstep would leave Brostep alone. Peace for all.

Biggest issue is people who support brostep don't like the name. Are they actually the ones whining? Hard to say...but yeah let's differentiate and that will make life much easier. We are getting to the point that the parent genre name is meaningless unless the subgenre's name is uttered. If we have to call it ukstep and brostep to clarify then lets do it.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Previous

Return to Technique