Tell me if my hypothesis is correct. (Dubstep Discussion)

Discuss tips, tricks, and the creative process of music creation. Post HELP threads here

Re: Tell me if my hypothesis is correct. (Dubstep Discussion

Postby itroitnyah » 07 Aug 2013 10:57

... I don't get it, what's so bad about that?
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Facade » 07 Aug 2013 13:36

it seems the name dubstep has been raped by 12 year old kiddies we need a new word for music thats focused on sub bass lines and syncopated drum and percussion patterns :/
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
Facade

Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

Re: Tell me if my hypothesis is correct.

Postby Nine Volt » 07 Aug 2013 13:50

ExoBassTix wrote:That's Dubstep how I like it.
I'm sad that it's not that popular anymore.

Digital Mystikz. THEY make Dubstep. Real Dubstep.

Oh my god, I can't believe you actually said "real dubstep". That sounds so elitist I can't even...

Both "old" dubstep and "new" dubstep (or brostep, whatever) are equally valid as musical forms. I dare say that "new" dubstep requires more knowledge about sound synthesis, and I'd say that "new" dubstep is one of the harder genres of EDM to make well. "Old" dubstep, on the other hand, tends to be more minimalistic and simpler than "new" dubstep (that of course doesn't make it automatically easier, but I tend to find it a lot easier to make older-styled dubstep than newer styled dubstep).

What I'm trying to say is that both genres are musically and artistically valid, but it is my personal opinion that "new" dubstep is generally harder to make. Generally.
Last edited by Nine Volt on 07 Aug 2013 13:54, edited 1 time in total.
Nine Volt

Postby itroitnyah » 07 Aug 2013 13:57

This thread annoys me now. Seems like everybody here is bashing the new style of dubstep because it isn't like the old style, which is making those people look like hipsters, the "hipsters" with a bad connotation to the name.

I feel like this sorta sums up how I feel about this thread:

Overall, it's understandable that some of you may like the older style of dubstep better, but stuff evolves. BTW, if you use the soundcloud explore feature to listen to dubstep (Explore > Electronic (on the side) > Dubstep), you'll find that some people do actually make a lot of dubstep that relies heavily on sub bass, even if it isn't as common anymore.
itroitnyah

Postby Facade » 07 Aug 2013 14:01

eery wrote:
Facade wrote:it seems the name dubstep has been raped by 12 year old kiddies we need a new word for music thats focused on sub bass lines and syncopated drum and percussion patterns :/

Please stop being an eltist cunt. We get it. You dont like the nu dubstep. Shut up. Please.

i never said i hate it i just dont like the word people use to describe it. also 'merica bitch
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

Facade

Postby Acsii » 07 Aug 2013 18:47

Facade wrote:r*ped

Can people seriously stop throwing this word around so lightly...
20 something Transgirl that makes sounds called music
Soundcloud | Facebook | Bandcamp | Blog
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Old round oscilloscope

Postby Facade » 07 Aug 2013 19:16

i wasn't using it lightly its true that's what they basically did to the word

edit:

i also meant this defenition

"an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation"

not the other one

sorry if you where offended by my words as that wasn't my intent
Spoiler Quotes:

Facade

Postby PonE-Sharp » 07 Aug 2013 22:21

Oh sweet jesus what have I started?
Find me here:

youtube.com/user/coltsuke
League of Legends: Zarfall (Or PrìncessCelestia. Both work apparently.)
Steam ID: Trentul
DeviantArt: Zarfall
PonE-Sharp

Postby ph00tbag » 07 Aug 2013 22:53

Facade wrote:i wasn't using it lightly its true that's what they basically did to the word

edit:

i also meant this defenition

"an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation"

not the other one

sorry if you where offended by my words as that wasn't my intent

You still used it pretty lightly. The definition you list is usually used to describe events like the Rape of Nanking, which ranks pretty highly on the list of the most unspeakable acts systematically perpetrated against a nationality or ethnic group. Up there with slavery, the Holocaust and the Rwandan Genocide.

What has been done to dubstep is a trifle in comparison.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Primary: FL Studio

Postby ExoBassTix » 08 Aug 2013 05:11

Facade wrote:
eery wrote:
Facade wrote:it seems the name dubstep has been raped by 12 year old kiddies we need a new word for music thats focused on sub bass lines and syncopated drum and percussion patterns :/

Please stop being an eltist cunt. We get it. You dont like the nu dubstep. Shut up. Please.

i never said i hate it i just dont like the word people use to describe it. also 'merica bitch

Exactly. Even though I dislike it personally, I don't hate it, but my god, separate Dubstep and Brostep already.

And I don't care much that Brostep is harder to make. That has no appeal to me whatsoever. It's the result that matters to me.

Just like it's hard to make good Harsh Noise, and most people don't like that at all.
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby cplbradley » 08 Aug 2013 05:52

this thread offends me.
Dubstep and brostep are the same fucking thing. it's like comparing old metallica to new metallica. in the end, they sound different, but they're both metal. one isn't new metal or classic metal, just metal.
also, if you say i'm some kind of brostepper or some kind xkore knock off, i'll find you and kick your face in.
Honorary Member of the Yoy and Whistle Club
https://soundcloud.com/cplbradley/perfectly-natural
cplbradley

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Distorted Fart Noises

Postby cplbradley » 08 Aug 2013 05:56

Lying Pink wrote:
We've been lying all this time. None of us listen to anything except for lowercase, free jazz, xenharmonic new complexity and power electronics. Anything less is pleb tier - new-style and old-style dubstep alike.

You forgot IDM and Illbient. Only the finest genres shall touch these ears.

But seriously while i do agree that dubstep can exist for both audiences and under the same name it does frustrate me that Americans made dubstep a noisy, white, dumb thing out of something that was a dubby, atmospheric, black thing. It seemed to have a lot more class back before it was brought over but it likely was a lot less fun to dance to. It would have been great if it had a genre name change vs TRYING to keep it the same (and get eternal whining from the old schoolers) but that's not how it happened and we gotta move out of that tired argument someday.

Fuck off with the "america did it waaah" bullshit. One of the leaders in the foundation of "brostep" was Rusko. Guess where he's from?
What's that kids?
That's right!
THE U.K.

Know who else is from the U.K.? NERO.

I love england, but you guys need to stop blaming Americans for all the shit that you deal with.
cplbradley

Postby Freewave » 08 Aug 2013 07:19

Correct and several other UK'ers contributed to its creation. Coki's Spongebob was the first, Caspa is equally to blame. And it wasn't just Americans. Hell Excision and Datsik are Canadian. Borgore is from Israel.

Guys lets be more careful about how he discuss things here as going on a tangent about rape is successfully derailing and making it a bit more inflammatory. It's clear dubstep changed pretty radically and that likely was GOING to happen anyway. I think what's sad is when Americans have no idea what it sounded like before and its roots. Brostep too has abandoned most of what the foundations of its sounds were while it was initially only a UK scene and an extension of UK Garage.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Navron » 08 Aug 2013 10:31

Rock today shouldn't be called rock because it's not like the rock of the 70s and 80s. Back then rock bands actually focused on creating good songs. Not rock ripoff bands like Nirvana and Alice in Chains that took good music and made it into a bunch of noise and distortion.

Genres evolve guys. The whole reason today's dubstep was called dubstep is because it still contained a similar bpm and two step drum pattern. The only thing that initially changed was the bass, moving from a subbass only frequency, to a subbass with more audible mid-range frequencies. From there it just became heavier and heavier, so the sub-genre may have changed, but the root genre is still dubstep. For example, Nirvana and Alice in Chains are part of the grunge subgenre, but their root genre is still rock. Does that mean their music falls under the same definition as rock in its earliest form? No. It's quite unlike rock in its original form.

Gettin rather sick of the elistist dubstep crowd. Yes, there are plenty of kiddies making crappy dubstep tunes in the laziest way possible with modern talking, but there's also plenty of teenage rock bands that make really crappy pop punk bullsh**. Doesn't mean every artist in the "brostep" genre is a talentless hack, and to be quite honest, many of the forefront artists of "brostep," display quite a bit of talent in sound design.

If you don't think brostep has any skill in sound design, I will wait for your awesome and "easily created" brostep track that rivals the sound design of somebody like Excision.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby cplbradley » 08 Aug 2013 11:06

Navron wrote:Rock today shouldn't be called rock because it's not like the rock of the 70s and 80s. Back then rock bands actually focused on creating good songs. Not rock ripoff bands like Nirvana and Alice in Chains that took good music and made it into a bunch of noise and distortion.

Genres evolve guys. The whole reason today's dubstep was called dubstep is because it still contained a similar bpm and two step drum pattern. The only thing that initially changed was the bass, moving from a subbass only frequency, to a subbass with more audible mid-range frequencies. From there it just became heavier and heavier, so the sub-genre may have changed, but the root genre is still dubstep. For example, Nirvana and Alice in Chains are part of the grunge subgenre, but their root genre is still rock. Does that mean their music falls under the same definition as rock in its earliest form? No. It's quite unlike rock in its original form.

Gettin rather sick of the elistist dubstep crowd. Yes, there are plenty of kiddies making crappy dubstep tunes in the laziest way possible with modern talking, but there's also plenty of teenage rock bands that make really crappy pop punk bullsh**. Doesn't mean every artist in the "brostep" genre is a talentless hack, and to be quite honest, many of the forefront artists of "brostep," display quite a bit of talent in sound design.

If you don't think brostep has any skill in sound design, I will wait for your awesome and "easily created" brostep track that rivals the sound design of somebody like Excision.

THANK YOU

Also, Excision is my god, thank you for using his name <3
cplbradley

Postby Freewave » 08 Aug 2013 11:13

I don't think anyone is deriding brostep's complex sound design. It's just weird for something that's intending to be so noisy is one of the most popular dance music genres and so DIFFERENT from where it started. We aren't talking about Rock going from Pink Floyd to Nirvana in 5 years after all but its like that much of a change for Dubstep. The difference between dancing and moshing, between dance music and something that's liked by kids or the metal crowd. Sure change happens and maybe brostep is just as noisy as Uk's hardcore breakbeat and Drill n Bass but it just seems to have outright killed (or greatly overshadowed) the original style.

Butwhatdoyoudo!? I guess there's not much point raging about it. ;)
Freewave

Postby Facade » 08 Aug 2013 11:40

ExoBassTix wrote:Exactly. Even though I dislike it personally, I don't hate it, but my god, separate Dubstep and Brostep already.

/thread
Spoiler Quotes:

Facade

Postby Lying Pink » 08 Aug 2013 16:18

Sorry for the derail but I'm not sure what happened to my previous message on this thread. The bit in quotes was part of my original post, which was basically followed by me saying that I tried to make dubstep once and screwed up, and that I find 'old-style' dubstep easier to make because it's sparse and relies more on atmosphere, whereas newer stuff is more focused on complex sound design and more energetic stuff, which I find harder, and that I want to get better at the kind of sound design used in newer dubstep so I can use it in my music.

The bit after the quote... yeah that wasn't me, I didn't type that (And I enjoy old dubstep and new dubstep so I don't agree with what it says that I said? Except with the possible exception of the black thing --> white thing gentrification/cultural appropriation argument, which I've seen applied to... most mainstream genres from blues onwards, and which I kind of agree with but without letting it stop me making music influenced by those genres... it's a hard line to tread I guess and not the point of the thread, or this post) Did someone else post that as a reply and it got smooshed together with my message somehow (Freewave, maybe? The post had a link to rateyourmusic in it, and I know you're fond of that site, and you have mod privileges that might make it easier for that to happen)? I'm rather confused...
Fnord.
Soundcloud | Tumblr | Skype | YouTube | Email
/)__~
</</
Lying Pink

Primary: Reaper
Cutie Mark: Knees

Postby Freewave » 08 Aug 2013 18:34

^Honestly that was my fault. I somehow edited your post instead of posting myself. I deleted it now as it was pure accident. Been one of those days. Fark.

Apologies.
Freewave

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 08 Aug 2013 18:39

erm. Can we just...y'know..stop caring about the whole 'old school vs new school dubstep' thing?

It's VERY fucking trivial to sqaubble over it. Don't like (ugh)..Brostep? Don't listen to it. Go listen to the older two-steppy-subby stuff that you keep insisting is better.

To quote -
"If you don't care for it, why are you thinking about it?"
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby itroitnyah » 08 Aug 2013 19:10

I feel like anybody who says we should refer to modern dubstep as "brostep" is somewhat of an elitist. I personally say that it's called dubstep, so shut up and deal with it, and if you feel elitist enough to need to tell people they can't call modern dubstep "Dubstep", you can go piss off. But when using "brostep" just to refer to modern dubstep instead of typing out "modern dubstep" (such as Bigglesworth has done above), it's not elitist. This probably doesn't relate to the thread much, but it's sorta inferring that I think that Facade is more of an elitist cunt every time he supports calling it "brostep", and I think that Exo is somewhat elitist because he thinks we should separate the two styles of dubstep.
itroitnyah

Postby Facade » 08 Aug 2013 19:21

the two genres sound so different we just need a new name for the old style and maybe these arguments wouldnt happen

(and no i dont want the old style to be called dubstep, as that would attract the crowd thats looking for mid-range bullshit rather then sub-bass lines)

"hur look at me im an elitist cause i think we need a way to distinguish between TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SOUNDING GENRES"
Spoiler Quotes:

Facade

Postby itroitnyah » 08 Aug 2013 20:06

They're the same genre and just because they're different styles of the same genre doesn't mean they need to be categorized differently. Go read Navron's post above.
itroitnyah

Postby Freewave » 08 Aug 2013 21:29

That's the biggest problem is that 'brostep' is only by people who deride it and dislike it so that supporters wont actively use it. If y'all could find a name to use it would really help out cause dubstep is already taken :P
Freewave

Postby Facade » 08 Aug 2013 21:46

itroitnyah wrote:They're the same genre and just because they're different styles of the same genre doesn't mean they need to be categorized differently. Go read Navron's post above.

they sound COMPLETELY different you need to get your ears checked

edit: the argument is over

PYR3LIGHT wrote:I call for subdivisions of dubstep the same way there are with house, etc. Because there are tons of different styles of dubstep that sound different. Omni, Skrillex, Rusko, Excision. All (often) make dubstep, all sound different. At this point its kinda like saying "dream house isn't real house because it doesn't sound like French house".

this i think this is the reason dubstep is so argued over now-a-days is because there aren't sub genres to distinguish between the different styles
Spoiler Quotes:

Facade

PreviousNext

Return to Technique