Review the track(s) above you

Let's hear what you've got, Brony. Feedback is encouraged. Please embed EQBeats, Youtube or Soundcloud.

Re: Review the track(s) above you

Postby Nine Volt » 25 Feb 2013 13:41

THAT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS MALEN :3
User avatar
Nine Volt
 
Posts: 3066
Joined: 23 Aug 2012 06:50

Re: Review the track(s) above you

Postby TheMalenEst » 25 Feb 2013 15:26

ArisingFlame

The tracks sounds pretty good but it feels like it's missing alot of things. The vocal sounds good and all but are really loud and have way to much reverb. The piano Could use some layering or compression/ Eq. Maybe some variation in instruments or add in some new ones. Sorry i'm not really good at giving feedback.
My Soundcloud for my Wip's and Previews, but also full songs.
My YouTube Come by and listen to my music :3 Maybe you find something you like.
Deviantart Abstract Art

shingeki no kyojin is best anime/manga
User avatar
TheMalenEst
 
Posts: 224
Joined: 26 Jun 2012 10:27
Location: Home of the vikings!
OS: Windows 7, Mac OS
Primary: FL Studio 10, Logic
Cutie Mark: AnjunaLogo

Re: Review the track(s) above you

Postby Dr. Plague » 28 Feb 2013 15:51

vladnuke wrote:The piano sounds a bit too compressed, perhaps if you found some better samples for that (maybe some EQ and compression masking might help there)

As a learning novice, I'm just curious... What about the sound makes you say that? I don't hear anything wrong, but of course I have an untrained ear...

TheMalenEst wrote:ArisingFlame

The tracks sounds pretty good but it feels like it's missing alot of things. The vocal sounds good and all but are really loud and have way to much reverb. The piano Could use some layering or compression/ Eq. Maybe some variation in instruments or add in some new ones. Sorry i'm not really good at giving feedback.

No offense, man, but you basically just copy-pasted vladnuke's feedback.

But then, I'm guilty of doing that, too. ;)

Alycs wrote:Here is a reworked version of a song I put in a Solo Thread a few days ago. I got some comments that really helped me edit it (and I fixed the fact that I had apparently accidentally boosted my vocals to +10dB before exporting. Oops)

https://soundcloud.com/alycs/hit-the-floor

I think you might've over-fixed your vocals... IMO, they're a little too low in the mix now. And as MisterJayBrown pointed out, the thunder is way too loud in the mix, and your drums are too low. At points, they're way too masked and muddy and make the song sound flat.

I do really like your transition around 3:10. I just really loved that. At 3:40, though, I couldn't hear what the sample said, so that was a little meh. Obvious fix to your problem there.

Holy shit, the synth at 3:56 is way too loud. Drowns everything out. Definitely turn that down a little.

Either way, I really liked that track. I look forward to hearing the final version. :D

vladnuke wrote:http://soundcloud.com/vladnuke/murder-cove

This is something that I made for an album.

I'm probz gonna put it on mah youtube too.

Ooh, I like this. But let's see, criticism...

Around 0:45, the... growl bass? (fuck if I know terminology...) is a little too loud, and it sounds a little distorted in a bad way. I... have no idea what advice to give you on how to fix it, but I can at least point out that it bothered my earsies. Unless you wanted that sound, in which case I'll slowly make my exit. ;P

"You wanna do this the hard way? You wanna do me" lolwat

Your solo break thing around 1:20 is fucking FANTASTIC, but the lead synth is just a little too loud.

Omg this weird awesome transition around 1:40. I really like this. :D

Unfortunately, the drop it leads up to is a little underwhelming (and the synths are too loud; remember, the kick drum is technically supposed to be the loudest in your mix, as far as EDM is concerned).

That breakdown at 2:20 or so had my head bobbing! Awesome!

Goddammit, in the end, the only real issue I have with this song is that it needs better mixing.

---

And now, here's a little prog house WIP I got going. It's not finished (as in, I don't have the last part of it actually made or even planned out), so it basically just drops off where I left off. A lot of things are still a little sloppy, but I figure the general idea is there, and that's what I'm trying to get critiqued. :P

https://soundcloud.com/plaguedr/still-untitled-prog-house-wip
Now Nyxus
Soundcloud
Genres of choice: basically just EDM
Strengths: Compressing the shit out of already compressed stuff
Weaknesses: All that other stuff you do in music
User avatar
Dr. Plague
 
Posts: 66
Joined: 12 Nov 2012 19:58
Location: Locust Grove, VA
OS: Windows 7
Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: I'm human, not a pony

Re: Review the track(s) above you

Postby Stakeout Punch » 28 Feb 2013 16:59

@ArisingFlame Thank you for the great feedback!

Your song is built very well, but I think that you would benefit from learning more about frequency ranges of various instruments and focusing on distributing reverb more throughout the mix, as Vlad has already said.

@TheMalenEst I loved your song. I personally would have used a beefier kick to fill in the lower spectrum but the one you used fits very well and I have bass boost. ;D I can't think of anything else negative to throw at it. Make moar!

@Dr. Plague That weird alien/drone bass thing immediately caught my attention. I like the unique sounds and patches you used. Slightly irregular song structure, but it still works. I think your song would benefit from having more sub bass and more mid's, it feels like the song is all hi's and slight bass.

I'm still waiting for a club shaking bass drum ;P
-------
Here is a WIP I'm working on. I've made a thread for it but it's kinda dead so I'll post it here. I'm thinking about submitting it to R&R if the samples in it aren't deemed too obvious.
https://soundcloud.com/evanhroberts/my-little-terror/s-mJfV0
Last edited by Stakeout Punch on 03 Mar 2013 09:59, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Stakeout Punch
 
Posts: 201
Joined: 15 Feb 2013 17:36
Location: Earth
OS: Win10
Primary: FL 12 XXL
Cutie Mark: Banhammer

Re: Review the track(s) above you

Postby Dr. Plague » 28 Feb 2013 17:21

stakeout poni wrote:@Dr. Plague That weird alien/drone bass thing immediately caught my attention. I like the unique sounds and patches you used. Slightly irregular song structure, but it still works. I think your song would benefit from having more sub bass and more mid's, it feels like the song is all hi's and slight bass.

I'm still waiting for a club shaking bass drum ;P

Mm, I suppose it does need some more sub... I just can't get that lower end to come out of the one bass I have (the one that's about 45% panned right). The sub I have (which I... think is what you're saying is the "weird alien/drone bass," right?) would work if I LP'ed it, I guess. Thanks!

(And yeah, my kick does need a little more umph, doesn't it?)

Here is a WIP I'm working on. I've made a thread for it but it's kinda dead so I'll post it here. I'm thinking about submitting it to R&R if the samples in it aren't deemed too obvious.
https://soundcloud.com/evanhroberts/my- ... or/s-mJfV0

Just curious, what genre is this, technically? Is it just trance or what?

That aside, I liked this. The samples... idk, something about them always struck me as slightly off. I'm not sure if they're slightly too loud or what, but... idk, just a little bothering to me.

Also, whatever percussion instrument you introduced around 2:00 is hard to hear over the other synths... unless it was meant to be that way, 'cause everything else is mixed fairly wonderfully. :P
Now Nyxus
Soundcloud
Genres of choice: basically just EDM
Strengths: Compressing the shit out of already compressed stuff
Weaknesses: All that other stuff you do in music
User avatar
Dr. Plague
 
Posts: 66
Joined: 12 Nov 2012 19:58
Location: Locust Grove, VA
OS: Windows 7
Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: I'm human, not a pony

Re: Review the track(s) above you

Postby Nine Volt » 28 Feb 2013 17:24

stakeout poni wrote:@ArisingFlame Thank you for the great feedback!

Your song is built very well, but I think that you would benefit from learning more about frequency ranges of various instruments and focusing on distributing reverb more throughout the mix, as Vlad has already said.

@TheMalenEst I loved your song. I personally would have used a beefier kick to fill in the lower spectrum but the one you used fits very well and I have bass boost. ;D I can't think of anything else negative to throw at it. Make moar!

@Dr. Plague That weird alien/drone bass thing immediately caught my attention. I like the unique sounds and patches you used. Slightly irregular song structure, but it still works. I think your song would benefit from having more sub bass and more mid's, it feels like the song is all hi's and slight bass.

I'm still waiting for a club shaking bass drum ;P
-------
Here is a WIP I'm working on. I've made a thread for it but it's kinda dead so I'll post it here. I'm thinking about submitting it to R&R if the samples in it aren't deemed too obvious.
https://soundcloud.com/evanhroberts/my-little-terror/s-mJfV0

YOU NEVER REVIEWED MY SONG YOU MOFO :3
User avatar
Nine Volt
 
Posts: 3066
Joined: 23 Aug 2012 06:50

Re: Review the track(s) above you

Postby Stakeout Punch » 28 Feb 2013 19:42

Dr. Plague wrote:The samples... idk, something about them always struck me as slightly off. I'm not sure if they're slightly too loud or what, but... idk, just a little bothering to me.
Also, whatever percussion instrument you introduced around 2:00 is hard to hear over the other synths... unless it was meant to be that way, 'cause everything else is mixed fairly wonderfully. :P

Hmmm, I'll look at the samples. Maybe it's you not used to Flutterrage? XD It's probably that I reverbed the fuck outta them. Also I don't really try to adhere to genres. Too limiting.

Nine Volt wrote:YOU NEVER REVIEWED MY SONG YOU MOFO :3

https://soundcloud.com/nine-volt/wip-neganote-the-ocular

First off, that first pad has a high frequency harmonic built in that is not constant. It's bugging the hell out of me. (0.00 to whenever it stops). Alls nice until around about 0.55 where repetition is starting to get to me, but 1.00 fixes that. The drop is very nice, very dance-able. It could definitely use a build to capture the listener's attention, but as is it works great, I happen to like sudden dance drops. And that over-harmonic is back with the icy pad at 3.16-end. I feel like the last kick is just a tad too loud.

Overall I really like that track. It kinda has an 8-bit feel in the drop. 9/10
I rarely visit anymore. Also known as ZeoHeart and Xeno.
https://soundcloud.com/stakeoutpunch/sets/adios-ep
User avatar
Stakeout Punch
 
Posts: 201
Joined: 15 Feb 2013 17:36
Location: Earth
OS: Win10
Primary: FL 12 XXL
Cutie Mark: Banhammer

Re: Review the track(s) above you

Postby Stakeout Punch » 02 Mar 2013 15:43

Bump instead of edit:

Here's something I really want you guys to tear apart. Tell me every single thing you don't like about it or that I could have done better. I don't even need positive stuff for it atm.
https://soundcloud.com/evanhroberts/catching-madness-wip/s-3UB1C
User avatar
Stakeout Punch
 
Posts: 201
Joined: 15 Feb 2013 17:36
Location: Earth
OS: Win10
Primary: FL 12 XXL
Cutie Mark: Banhammer

Re: Review the track(s) above you

Postby LFP » 02 Mar 2013 15:53

@Stakeout nice intro, but as you introduce things, try to spice them up a bit, play the last note an octave higher add a short riser and a crash etcetc it'll make the transitions sound much better in the intro and that chorus part! ^^
It's really catchy, just work on the structure a bit and some transitions (most notable at 2:54)

@Dr.plague not really a fan of the heavy volume automation, it is usually something you'd want to avoid. I'd go a bit easier on the detune as-well, atm it's sounding very out of tune not sure if that's what you aimed for. The drums are well done and fit well into the mix but your overall mix is lacking a bit of mid sound to it! :P

@9V More of these transitions, spice them up (see earlier comment on this)! :O
nice stab synth you've got there, really well fit into the mix, however I feel like this part continues for way to long before the chorus part comes in, it's a nice punchy transition into the chorus and you fill your mix well, the sound design has a bit of a midi feeling to it so I'd work on that, but some of it is actually quite fitting.

here's my track;

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/95379350/WWR.mp3 :3


two things to note; I'm trying to replace the main strings in the breakdown so apologies if they sound un-natural (I don't have any libraries D: ), and nvm that last transition ^^
Feel free to butcher everything else though :D
so much massive in this >.<
Last edited by LFP on 02 Mar 2013 17:31, edited 2 times in total.
Brony Music Directory
Nine Volt wrote:That feel when 9V will never take you out to dinner 3:
User avatar
LFP
 
Posts: 833
Joined: 08 Apr 2012 14:30
Location: Land of Vikings!
Primary: Logic Pro 9/Pro tools 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank4evar

Re: Review the track(s) above you

Postby LFP » 02 Mar 2013 15:53

okay; the intro lead is sounding a bit dry on it's own some reverb and/or delay to spice it up, the first initial melody only continues a single time which caught me off gaurd, nothing too major but something worth noting. Nice pad you've got there, I don't like this clap/snare sample (sounds awfully processed and un-natural) and the kick has too much high to it and too little bass in it, the overall melody is nice but it gets repetitive quickly ^^
Brony Music Directory
Nine Volt wrote:That feel when 9V will never take you out to dinner 3:
User avatar
LFP
 
Posts: 833
Joined: 08 Apr 2012 14:30
Location: Land of Vikings!
Primary: Logic Pro 9/Pro tools 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank4evar

Re: Review the track(s) above you

Postby Stakeout Punch » 02 Mar 2013 20:22

@LFP
Love the subtle strings in the beginning. Intro percussion is perfect.

Okay I'm done. This is too good for me to be any value critiquing. The song is very well written and everything fits together as they should. All the transitions are smooth and don't get me started on the patches. GIVE ME YO SKILL

------
Nothing to post atm.
I rarely visit anymore. Also known as ZeoHeart and Xeno.
https://soundcloud.com/stakeoutpunch/sets/adios-ep
User avatar
Stakeout Punch
 
Posts: 201
Joined: 15 Feb 2013 17:36
Location: Earth
OS: Win10
Primary: FL 12 XXL
Cutie Mark: Banhammer

Re: Review the track(s) above you

Postby Dr. Plague » 02 Mar 2013 23:25

LFP wrote:@Dr.plague not really a fan of the heavy volume automation, it is usually something you'd want to avoid.

Eh, it's all just filter automation with automated resonance. I'll see what I can do to make the volume change a little less drastic. Thanks!

I'd go a bit easier on the detune as-well, atm it's sounding very out of tune not sure if that's what you aimed for. The drums are well done and fit well into the mix but your overall mix is lacking a bit of mid sound to it! :P

What in particular sounded out of tune? This is the biggest thing I'm worried about -- I'm finally buckling down on trying to learn music theory. This also bothers me since basically everything follows the almost-same notes (and chord progression, I think? Still a little shaky on chord progressions, yay).
Now Nyxus
Soundcloud
Genres of choice: basically just EDM
Strengths: Compressing the shit out of already compressed stuff
Weaknesses: All that other stuff you do in music
User avatar
Dr. Plague
 
Posts: 66
Joined: 12 Nov 2012 19:58
Location: Locust Grove, VA
OS: Windows 7
Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: I'm human, not a pony

Re: Review the track(s) above you

Postby Stakeout Punch » 03 Mar 2013 00:35

Redeeming post from earlier. I give you v0.9, final feedback time before I try to mix it perfect.
https://soundcloud.com/evanhroberts/my- ... -9/s-oqCfC


Not final version after all lol
Last edited by Stakeout Punch on 11 Mar 2013 14:34, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Stakeout Punch
 
Posts: 201
Joined: 15 Feb 2013 17:36
Location: Earth
OS: Win10
Primary: FL 12 XXL
Cutie Mark: Banhammer

Re: Review the track(s) above you

Postby TheMalenEst » 03 Mar 2013 10:32

@stakeout poni

I literally can't hear anything that sounds bad.

I suck at giving feedback :(
My Soundcloud for my Wip's and Previews, but also full songs.
My YouTube Come by and listen to my music :3 Maybe you find something you like.
Deviantart Abstract Art

shingeki no kyojin is best anime/manga
User avatar
TheMalenEst
 
Posts: 224
Joined: 26 Jun 2012 10:27
Location: Home of the vikings!
OS: Windows 7, Mac OS
Primary: FL Studio 10, Logic
Cutie Mark: AnjunaLogo

Re: Review the track(s) above you

Postby LFP » 05 Mar 2013 13:11

Dr. Plague wrote:
LFP wrote:@Dr.plague not really a fan of the heavy volume automation, it is usually something you'd want to avoid.

Eh, it's all just filter automation with automated resonance. I'll see what I can do to make the volume change a little less drastic. Thanks!

I'd go a bit easier on the detune as-well, atm it's sounding very out of tune not sure if that's what you aimed for. The drums are well done and fit well into the mix but your overall mix is lacking a bit of mid sound to it! :P

What in particular sounded out of tune? This is the biggest thing I'm worried about -- I'm finally buckling down on trying to learn music theory. This also bothers me since basically everything follows the almost-same notes (and chord progression, I think? Still a little shaky on chord progressions, yay).

Filterautomation or not it still decreases the volume a lot in this case ^_^

and the bass in the beginning sounds like it has a lot of detune to it considering not a single note instance sounds completely in-harmony, check your synth so you didn't forget something in there.
The lead which comes in once the drums re-enter sounds out of harmony with the bass, not sure if it's because of the bass having so much detune to it or because of it being out-of-key, be sure to decide on a key you want your song to be in and work trough that. hope it helps :3
Last edited by LFP on 11 Mar 2013 08:53, edited 1 time in total.
Brony Music Directory
Nine Volt wrote:That feel when 9V will never take you out to dinner 3:
User avatar
LFP
 
Posts: 833
Joined: 08 Apr 2012 14:30
Location: Land of Vikings!
Primary: Logic Pro 9/Pro tools 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank4evar

Re: Review the track(s) above you

Postby Nine Volt » 05 Mar 2013 13:38

High resonance very often decreases the 'power' behind a sound, so that's probably why.
User avatar
Nine Volt
 
Posts: 3066
Joined: 23 Aug 2012 06:50

Re: Review the track(s) above you

Postby Stakeout Punch » 05 Mar 2013 14:39

Nine Volt wrote:High resonance very often decreases the 'power' behind a sound, so that's probably why.

Did someone say resonance?
https://soundcloud.com/evanhroberts/ex1-automation-is-important
User avatar
Stakeout Punch
 
Posts: 201
Joined: 15 Feb 2013 17:36
Location: Earth
OS: Win10
Primary: FL 12 XXL
Cutie Mark: Banhammer

Re: Review the track(s) above you

Postby Covide » 10 Mar 2013 14:44

Covide
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 10 Mar 2013 14:43

Re: Review the track(s) above you

Postby Genkar » 10 Mar 2013 14:57

Covide wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP-EqlFYrB4

Review one (or more) of the tracks above you, and then post a link.
Percussionist - Electronic Musician In Training
Soundcloud/Youtube/Tumblr
Skype: soundsofgenkar
User avatar
Genkar
 
Posts: 293
Joined: 25 Dec 2012 21:44
Location: Pennsylvania
OS: Windows
Primary: FL Studio 11

Re: Review the track(s) above you

Postby v.lossity » 11 Mar 2013 08:35

@stakeoutponi (My Little Terror) The lower synth that comes in around 13 seconds sounds a bit out of place compared with the rest of the mix to me, perhaps the sound should be changed a bit. Once more instruments come in its not nearly as noticeable as when it first comes in. I love the general theme of this track, but I dont think the "squee" sound really fits in with the theme, scary fluttershy is more scary if she doesnt squeak. To be honest I started to lose interest around 2:30, perhaps a half-time breakdown would be more interesting not sure. I think the continuous drones contribute to the disinterest. This track is good though. Other than what I put above, the sounds fit well together, and you captured a playfully scary fluttershy well.
[disclaimer] IMO [/disclaimer]

@LFP I love this :) At 0.45 I kinda wish the bass wouldnt fade out. Also, at 2:30, the lead sound you are using is amazing and that whole huge dubby section before it are epic, but this section would be better if you worked on the melody for that lead a bit. Anthemic is what I am thinking. Like seriously, that section was AMAZING, a more solid melody would make this song so effing good. Im sorry I dont have more, this song is very hard to criticize, you obviously put a ton of attention to detail into this and it shows. I want your soundcloud btw, I cant find it anywhere xD.

@StakeoutPoni (Catching Madness WIP) I guess Ill do another of yours, you seem to be contributing a lot, so why not? :) I like the background instruments, they establish a nice ominous vibe, but they do get a bit repetitive. Also, Id work on the melody a bit. It sounds like improvisation the whole way, or variations on the same theme the whole way thru, which isnt necessarily bad or wrong, just not really what I look for in this kind of track. Personal taste. Also, I would change some of the sounds. Make them more dynamic in volume and timbre.

Aaaaand here is mine. I effing love the little "squee" sound some of the characters make throughout various episodes, so I made a song that tries to capture the little excitement I get every time I hear that sound on the show.
https://soundcloud.com/v-lossity/squee
Last edited by v.lossity on 21 Mar 2013 07:07, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
v.lossity
 
Posts: 241
Joined: 13 Jan 2013 17:06

Re: Review the track(s) above you

Postby LFP » 11 Mar 2013 08:47

I want your soundcloud btw, I cant find it anywhere xD.

I ain't exactly famous so it's understandable ^^
http://www.soundcloud.com/lfp-music
Life colors is the finished version of that :3
Brony Music Directory
Nine Volt wrote:That feel when 9V will never take you out to dinner 3:
User avatar
LFP
 
Posts: 833
Joined: 08 Apr 2012 14:30
Location: Land of Vikings!
Primary: Logic Pro 9/Pro tools 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank4evar

Re: Review the track(s) above you

Postby Stakeout Punch » 11 Mar 2013 14:53

v.lossity wrote:-snip- To be honest I started to lose interest around 2:30, perhaps a half-time breakdown would be more interesting not sure.

@StakeoutPoni (Catching Madness WIP) -snip-


WHY DID I NEVER THINK OF A BREAKDOWN ASDFGHJKL will do

As for Catching Madness, I've kinda dropped that for now.

Alrighty review tiem.

@V.lossity

The percussion immediately caught my attention. It all hits exactly where it should, both rhythm wise and freq/EQ wise. I see you used an EQ highpass type transition, I've always like those. Your melodies so far are catchy and change enough to keep me entertained. I LOVE THE DEAD BEAT AT 1.00! Very clever sample usage! Overall the bass is a little quiet in the mix on my tower speakers, but almost non existent on my monitors at various points throughout the song. I think that it is because you used a low sine-based bass (?). Layering it with a rounded square might help some. @3.14 very nice solo synth! Right afterwards at 3.29 the "chorus" really wraps all the previous melodies up extremely well. Awesome outro :P
I rarely visit anymore. Also known as ZeoHeart and Xeno.
https://soundcloud.com/stakeoutpunch/sets/adios-ep
User avatar
Stakeout Punch
 
Posts: 201
Joined: 15 Feb 2013 17:36
Location: Earth
OS: Win10
Primary: FL 12 XXL
Cutie Mark: Banhammer

Re: Review the track(s) above you

Postby v.lossity » 11 Mar 2013 18:19

Hmm Ill check out the bass, its actually a bunch of low-passed saws, but maybe there is something going on with the compression. Thanks :)
User avatar
v.lossity
 
Posts: 241
Joined: 13 Jan 2013 17:06

Re: Review the track(s) above you

Postby Dr. Plague » 21 Mar 2013 04:07

LFP wrote:and the bass in the beginning sounds like it has a lot of detune to it considering not a single note instance sounds completely in-harmony, check your synth so you didn't forget something in there.

I guess that's some of the distortion I put on it (Classic Tube and Bitcrusher, both in Massive of course). Or maybe the heavy (FIDGETTT) vibrato. Poo.

The lead which comes in once the drums re-enter sounds out of harmony with the bass, not sure if it's because of the bass having so much detune to it or because of it being out-of-key, be sure to decide on a key you want your song to be in and work trough that. hope it helps :3

Well, I thought I had it in key of C, but I guess not? Idk. Either way, I (haven't abandoned it, but) started working on some other stuff (which I work on taking all advice from here into consideration, obvs, so I'm still listening and learning!), so now curious on your guys' takes on that.

But first, reviewing others' tracks!

Nine Volt wrote:YOU NEVER REVIEWED MY SONG YOU MOFO :3
https://soundcloud.com/nine-volt/wip-ne ... the-ocular


What do you mean, that's not a direct quote? I have no idea what you're talking about.

So, anyway, on the song. A little more variation (or just a shorter intro) would be appreciated. More variation if you keep the length, shorter intro if you want to just drop out of nowhere. Otherwise, it's too easy to get a little bored. And like stakeout said, that one high harmonic... Yeah, that's a little painful. xP Otherwise, though, the rest of it flows through fairly well.

I would, however, for sure add some variation to the second build-up. Maybe that's just my own preference, but yeah.

Around 2:20-ish, when you're doing that nice atmospheric part, one of my first thoughts was to maybe turn down the threshold/ratio (please understand what I'm trying to say, as opposed to what I might be actually saying incorrectly) of your kick's sidechain on the pad(s)? It seems a little too drastic, and it takes just slightly too long for that pad to come back in to seem... idk, to seem right, I guess?

LFP wrote:here's my track;

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/95379350/WWR.mp3 :3


two things to note; I'm trying to replace the main strings in the breakdown so apologies if they sound un-natural (I don't have any libraries D: ), and nvm that last transition ^^
Feel free to butcher everything else though :D
so much massive in this >.<

Well, crap, hard to find anything about this.

I guess my only real criticism would be that the more aggressive synths don't seem to really fit with the calmness of the song, but I'm not really sure if that's how I really feel?? Honestly, I might just be trying to find something.

I hear nothing wrong with the strings. :x

Goddammit, let's just face it, there's nothing wrong with your song that I can finddd~

And v.loss, I guess I'll just informally bring up your 'squee' track since your link on here is technically dead, but I heard it on Soundcloud anyway~~~.

Oh, right, I just really liked it. I have to say, though, I don't know if the "Love Is in Bloom" mix really worked out. I couldn't help but hear it as almost like a mash-up (or am I missing some point??). Idk, but I do like the original.

^^^ argh all of that looks like lazy half-assed reviewing ahhhhh :c

https://soundcloud.com/plaguedr/kisai-dai-oni-matsuri

Name is still a work in progress as well, getting some proper contextual help from my mom, but for now, it's that.

This is what I got from trying to make a thrash/groove metal-esque song with the knowledge I have.

Once again, tried to keep it in a key, and I want to say I was successful, but by all means, feel free to prove me wrong all up in my face. I tried to avoid too much detune, as that seems to be a repeating problem I have (but it sounds cool :c), so I hope it worked.

OH, but something I definitely need help with are ARPSSS. I have no real idea how to work them. I tried my best to basically just make them flow up and down almost randomly but with the melody and also in-key (which I'm sure is just Basics of Arps 101 crap), but yeah, lemme know on that.

Edit: So yeah, updated and more or less finished (I guess?) the song, added on a second part to the song 'cause I like to do shit like that.

https://soundcloud.com/plaguedr/dai-kisai-oo-oni-matsuri
Last edited by Dr. Plague on 26 Mar 2013 12:24, edited 2 times in total.
Now Nyxus
Soundcloud
Genres of choice: basically just EDM
Strengths: Compressing the shit out of already compressed stuff
Weaknesses: All that other stuff you do in music
User avatar
Dr. Plague
 
Posts: 66
Joined: 12 Nov 2012 19:58
Location: Locust Grove, VA
OS: Windows 7
Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: I'm human, not a pony

Re: Review the track(s) above you

Postby v.lossity » 21 Mar 2013 07:16

Dr. Plague wrote:....
And v.loss, I guess I'll just informally bring up your 'squee' track since your link on here is technically dead, but I heard it on Soundcloud anyway~~~.

Oh, right, I just really liked it. I have to say, though, I don't know if the "Love Is in Bloom" mix really worked out. I couldn't help but hear it as almost like a mash-up (or am I missing some point??). Idk, but I do like the original.

^^^ argh all of that looks like lazy half-assed reviewing ahhhhh :c

...

Thanks for letting me know, I fixed the link, so reviews of that track would be appreciated. I didnt put the Love is in Bloom mix up here because its literally something I threw together in five minutes and yes it really is just the vocals of love is in bloom on top of a pitch shifted original mix and reviews of it are kind of pointless as of now.
User avatar
v.lossity
 
Posts: 241
Joined: 13 Jan 2013 17:06

PreviousNext

Return to General Music Feedback and Advice



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron