Review the track(s) above you

Let's hear what you've got, Brony. Feedback is encouraged. Please embed EQBeats, Youtube or Soundcloud.

Re: Review the track(s) above you

Postby Dr. Plague » 09 Jun 2013 11:56

v.lossity wrote:the portamento synth starting at 1:45

Well, I guess technically the preset I used (shame on meee~) was maaaybe designed for hands-up, not hardcore, but I figured maybe it still works. Dunno, that might be one I just have to straight disagree with, 'cause I definitely like it. (Also, it's not quite portamento; it just has a little pitch bend at the start of the synth. holy shit I wish I could word things better lol)

Yeah I didn't hear anything out of place theory-wise. And you are very welcome :) I just wish I could get a more experienced musician to do the same for me xD

It kills me every time I review one of your tracks and end up typing up some wishy-washy garbage and finishing up with WELL IN THE END IT WAS JUST PRETTY GOOD SO THERE'S NOTHING REALLY WRONG. I mean, not trying to guilt trip you here, don't get me wrong, but I really do wish I could scratch your back as well as you're scratching mine.

Also, I have to wonder, is this kind of discussion okay here, or is this technically stepping out of the bounds of reviewing the track now? I mean, I guess we're discussing the review, so that's a shade of gray right there. I'd have no problem doing this via PM from now on if it's an issue.
Now Nyxus
Soundcloud
Genres of choice: basically just EDM
Strengths: Compressing the shit out of already compressed stuff
Weaknesses: All that other stuff you do in music
Dr. Plague

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: I'm human, not a pony

Postby v.lossity » 09 Jun 2013 13:07

Dr. Plague wrote:It kills me every time I review one of your tracks and end up typing up some wishy-washy garbage and finishing up with WELL IN THE END IT WAS JUST PRETTY GOOD SO THERE'S NOTHING REALLY WRONG. I mean, not trying to guilt trip you here, don't get me wrong, but I really do wish I could scratch your back as well as you're scratching mine.

Also, I have to wonder, is this kind of discussion okay here, or is this technically stepping out of the bounds of reviewing the track now? I mean, I guess we're discussing the review, so that's a shade of gray right there. I'd have no problem doing this via PM from now on if it's an issue.
Its no big deal, I feel the same way trying to review LFP's work (and others). I think it comes with the territory.
As far as discussion in here, I personally dont mind but in the future we should probably discuss reviews at length only in PM. Otherwise, people who have tracks they want reviewed are going to get annoyed as their track will get buried under a wall of text. Sorry guys!

Lets get some more tracks in here!
v.lossity

Postby Muffhunter » 09 Jun 2013 14:41

i got skipped -_-
--------------
DAW: FL Studio 10, Reason 4, and Reaper
VST's: Nexus, Sylenth1, 3xOSC, Massive, Toxic Biohazard, & more
Main Genres: Dubstep / Chillstep
Main Influences: Mr Fijiwiji / MitiS
https://soundcloud.com/muffhunter/i-y-f-f-e-au5-helicopter
Muffhunter

Postby Nine Volt » 09 Jun 2013 14:48

Muffhunter wrote:i got skipped -_-

Because you didn't give any reviews.
Nine Volt

Postby v.lossity » 09 Jun 2013 14:50

Nine Volt wrote:
Muffhunter wrote:i got skipped -_-

Because you didn't give any reviews.

Which I stated in the post immediately following your post. Please read OP before posting in a thread - internet 101.
v.lossity

Postby Muffhunter » 09 Jun 2013 15:00

there was no track to review
--------------
Muffhunter

Postby Nine Volt » 09 Jun 2013 15:16

Are you serious?
Nine Volt

Postby Muffhunter » 09 Jun 2013 15:18

Nine Volt wrote:Are you serious?

Yea, new to the site, what was above me was just a long review. Thats all I saw
--------------
Muffhunter

Postby Nine Volt » 09 Jun 2013 15:20

Then go back in posts until you find 2 songs to review. The two most recent ones.
Nine Volt

Postby liquidfrost100 » 09 Jun 2013 21:28

@v.lossity
I'm not good at pointing out bad things but, I'll give you a lot of positives. First of all, that little bell sound in the beginning and end cuts into the rest of the song a little (I feel like it should be a background noise because of it being monotone), so I would maybe turn down the bell or set it a little farther back in the audio with some reverb. However I really liked the transition with the piano at 0:57. I also like your build ups and the way they transition into new parts. On 1:42 after the build up, it got quieter for a split second, which threw me off a little. I'm not so sure about that part, maybe give it a little bit more of a kick? I also liked the way you break up the song every once and a while with a filter. It keeps the song from getting a little too repetitive. All together, I really like the way you blend the melodies together in this song, keep up the good work.
Genres: Breakcore, Dnb, other
DAW: LMMS
Synths: Synth 1, ZynAddSubFX (learning in progress)
https://soundcloud.com/xanheo
http://www.youtube.com/user/liquidfrost100
liquidfrost100

Postby Dr. Plague » 11 Jun 2013 12:03

So what do I do if I have another track I'd like criticism on, but I have no new songs to review myself here? Muffhunter's link is dead now...
Now Nyxus
Soundcloud
Dr. Plague

Postby Tasorrog » 11 Jun 2013 12:39

Dr. Plague wrote:So what do I do if I have another track I'd like criticism on, but I have no new songs to review myself here? Muffhunter's link is dead now...

Post the track, and review next posted track(s) :P
Tasorrog

Primary: Fl Studio
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Dr. Plague » 11 Jun 2013 12:47

Lol cool, looks like the best case scenario won out. ;D

(I hope you guys don't mind me not embedding the Soundcloud player. That shit kills my browser, so I try to use it less. Not trying to guilt trip you guys or anything, though, I SWEAR.)
https://soundcloud.com/plaguedr/untitled-dnb-drumstep

So yeah, as you can tell from the intro, this started out as my first attempt at liquid DnB. After all, I've been having fun putting (admittedly basic) melodies together, so I just figured that was another step to take. (R&R also had so much DnB that it got me motivated, heh.) I couldn't resist, though!
Now Nyxus
Soundcloud
Dr. Plague

Postby v.lossity » 11 Jun 2013 13:12

Tasorrog wrote:
Dr. Plague wrote:So what do I do if I have another track I'd like criticism on, but I have no new songs to review myself here? Muffhunter's link is dead now...

Post the track, and review next posted track(s) :P

Wrong. Post the track and just review the first song you can find above yours. Use your brains people. Just because it isnt immediately above yours or not on the same page as yours doesnt excuse you from obeying OP.

So yeah, Dr. Plague, please go find a track up there to review.
v.lossity

Postby Dr. Plague » 11 Jun 2013 13:43

CDPP wrote:I don't have anything, here's a scrapped track:
https://soundcloud.com/cdpp/21-2/s-GFIGE

The intro was mixed really well, but the drop is a little too loud (unless you specifically wanted it that way). I'd turn down one of the whoops (around 1:35) and definitely the lead you have playing through the drop. I wouldn't turn the latter down too much, but it's just a little too loud. I really like the reverb on it, though, that's awesome.

After the drop breaks, the one vibrato synth, I like that.

And goddamn, this piano melody. Can't get enough. Why did you scrap this track?!

Second drop comes out of nowhere. A little jarring... But I love a good brostep drop with a 4x4 drum beat. :D

I actually feel really dumb for not having checked that out before.

vladnuke wrote:http://youtube.com/watch?v=CMiomE6gb00

Here's something I've held onto for a while.

Could do with a tad bit more variation, but like you put it, "A bit calmer than usual." :P That being said, though, I really liked this. (I think you guys are opening me up to more chill/downtempo stuff!) Umm... Nothing really bad to say about this. Good delay you put on "I'm Fluttershy," but you already know that. The whispery sample is also a nice touch.

The little bass slide or FM synth or whatever that was at 1:20 really caught my ear.
And then the melody at 1:40. Ungh.

I'm guessing you didn't add much in the ways of reverse crashes and such on purpose?

I'd definitely give the snare more reverb... unless you specifically left it dry and crisp. (I can never go without that disclaimer, haha.)

VinylDotRawr wrote:Could use some feedback on this! It's a remix from my new group, Zephyr! ^-^

https://soundcloud.com/zephyrofficial/p ... phyr-remix

The growl you use in your drop could do with a little more lower-mid range, but holy shit, this is intense.

That one part at 1:14... well, "YUS :DDD" is exactly how I reacted.

The break at 1:37 is so sweet. Ominous in a Jaws fashion.

Dunno if I have much criticism. If there's one thing, I guess, I personally wouldn't have had the low pass filter drop all the way to the bottom when you did that, but that's just a personal preference.

Alright, I think that's enough overkill for me~
Now Nyxus
Soundcloud
Dr. Plague

Postby Coloriot » 11 Jun 2013 15:35

Dr. Plague wrote:Lol cool, looks like the best case scenario won out. ;D

(I hope you guys don't mind me not embedding the Soundcloud player. That shit kills my browser, so I try to use it less. Not trying to guilt trip you guys or anything, though, I SWEAR.)
https://soundcloud.com/plaguedr/untitled-dnb-drumstep

So yeah, as you can tell from the intro, this started out as my first attempt at liquid DnB. After all, I've been having fun putting (admittedly basic) melodies together, so I just figured that was another step to take. (R&R also had so much DnB that it got me motivated, heh.) I couldn't resist, though!

I like the beginning part. It was nice and cheerful, and had a nice melody. The bass drop came kinda suddenly, though. And I think the bass drop part was a little too long, and not intense enough, but maybe that's just me. It'd be nice to see more of the stuff from the beginning. And it ended well too, I'll give you that much. Overall, 7/10 from me.

Now here's my track. It's my attempt at trap:
http://soundcloud.com/coloriot/trap-wip-derpys-wings-2/s-2rcMP
Colorkek that makes computer noises.

What's my main genre? All of them.

[Youtube] [Soundcloud] [EQBeats] [Bandcamp] [Twitter]
Coloriot

Primary: Ableton Live 7
Cutie Mark: Mac Color Wheel of Doom

Postby v.lossity » 12 Jun 2013 18:48

eery wrote:
I kinda felt like I was being a pretentious asshole while makiing these reviews, as I dont really know that much about music.

I need more pretentious assholes in my life. Really. Thank you.
v.lossity

Postby vladnuke » 14 Jun 2013 17:55

Ok, dr plague, the key change doesn't work, it just sounds clashy and incompatible with the rest of the track.
Could use more pads in places, and can we not have minors and majors overlapping, that really messes it up, creates a lot of dissonance and just doesn't fit. A lot of your tracks have this same problem where you can't keep a consistent key so it just devolves into toneless muck.

Zephyr- in the second drop, the growl fucks with the melody line so badly that it leaves both unrecognizable and muddled. What you did in the first drop (having either the growl or the melody, not both) had a purpose, remember? It allowed you to have both those elements in without them fucking with eachother. Apart from that, it's a a pretty good track, good sounding bass.

Eery- dis is pretty kewl brah. Good athmosphere, good composition, fitting elements, good track, no problems, except should be longer. Good job

And with that: mah new shit

https://soundcloud.com/vladnuke/to-isabelle
Last edited by vladnuke on 17 Jun 2013 14:46, edited 1 time in total.
vladnuke

Postby vladnuke » 17 Jun 2013 14:46

fixed the link
vladnuke

Postby Nine Volt » 20 Jun 2013 09:38

@Chip
Interesting intro, I think the square synth could maybe use some delay on it or maybe some release. I'm not sure but I think I hear some dissonance in the plucks when the filter opens. That bass is a bit loud, kinda in your face when it seems like it should just be somewhat of a background thing. When it drops it's nice sounding but you forgot your sub :P. That crash is too loud as well. When the bass goes to that really low note it doesn't really sound good; there's some of whatever it's called when you go too low.

@Vladnuke
There's some out of tune notes in that guitar. I agree with Chip that the breaks don't really fit. Also that synth sounds really centered. And the vocals are a bit dry. That's all I can really say... it's a weird song.

HERE YOU GO
https://soundcloud.com/antevore/insta-kill
My first attempt at actual electro house. I'm not so sure if it worked. Also there's some weird high end stuff that Soundcloud added during the part with the lofi drums; it's not there in my project file or the mp3.
Nine Volt

Postby Nine Volt » 20 Jun 2013 12:35

Yeah I know what you wrote, but I thought I'd point it out anyway because I thought it might be helpful. Apparently not.

Also why would you not mix it somewhat while you're making it?
Nine Volt

Postby v.lossity » 20 Jun 2013 20:40

TheBronyChip wrote:
Nine Volt wrote:@Chip
Interesting intro, I think the square synth could maybe use some delay on it or maybe some release. I'm not sure but I think I hear some dissonance in the plucks when the filter opens. That bass is a bit loud, kinda in your face when it seems like it should just be somewhat of a background thing. When it drops it's nice sounding but you forgot your sub :P. That crash is too loud as well. When the bass goes to that really low note it doesn't really sound good; there's some of whatever it's called when you go too low.

*facepalm* l2read

Can we just go with the "if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all" rule? He gave you valid feedback. Just because you decided you dont want to worry about mixing yet doesn't mean its bad feedback. If you want him to refocus his feedback, try asking politely. He didn't HAVE to give you any feedback at all. Lets not forget, every time someone gives you feedback thats charity.
v.lossity

Postby Nine Volt » 20 Jun 2013 21:32

Terribly sorry for trying to be a helpful person. Won't do it again, Mr. Chip sir.
Nine Volt

Postby Nine Volt » 20 Jun 2013 21:36

This is nothing like that. I gave you legitimate feedback based on whatever I heard. That's what this thread is about. I'm not changing my style of critique for this one song.
Nine Volt

Postby v.lossity » 20 Jun 2013 22:04

TheBronyChip wrote:
Nine Volt wrote:Terribly sorry for trying to be a helpful person. Won't do it again, Mr. Chip sir.

this is like a cripple asking for a wheel chair and someone buying him a new car...

HE DOESN'T WANT THE F***ING CAR HE WANTS A WHEEL CHAIR

Bad analogy. You give anybody a car and thats a nice thing to do. Maybe a cripple cant drive it but at the very least he could sell it. Hating on people who try to help you out, even if it isn't exactly the help you want, is a great way to make it so noone wants to help you.

Long story short: dont look a gift horse in the mouth.

yes that was an intentional (but still serious) horse joke.
v.lossity

PreviousNext

Return to General Music Feedback and Advice