Review the track(s) above you

Let's hear what you've got, Brony. Feedback is encouraged. Please embed EQBeats, Youtube or Soundcloud.

Re: Review the track(s) above you

Postby Dr. Plague » 25 May 2013 02:19

vladnuke wrote:It's not that that particular synth is bad sound-design-wise, it's just that it's not in the same key as the drone (or its detuned to a point at which it ends up off-key)

Also it's harmonics add up to a tin drum sound (kind of like Jamaican music), but everything else is electronic and solid. Matching revolves around theme and context. Both theme and context can make or break a match. For example, having hard hitting drums in an ambient track can be good if given the proper context, but can make it sound cheesy if they're just thrown in.

Also there are better ways of getting your feelings across. You wouldn't say the same about a short story that devolves into a Mary Sue construct. Sometimes it's not weird, it's just bad. If something unfitting isn't given context or reason for being there, it's bad, not because it's unexpected, but because it's inappropriate.

For example: an unmodified pony sample thrown out in the open that plays and then cuts off at a vowel. There's might not be anything wrong with that sample, but how it's used is inappropriate. Like a bikini in a snowstorm, it's inadequate because it's in the wrong place.

Not to generalize my answer to your long and well-written post, but cool and thanks! I definitely see what you mean now.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80418829/Party%20in%20the%20Ponyville%20Arcade.mp3

Ooh, I like. :D Pardon my genre ignorance, but is this 8-bit or chiptune or just "arcade"-themed? Whatever the case, I definitely enjoyed this.

The synth that comes in around 00:58 is a little muddy imo, but maybe I'm just looking for something because I can't find anything, haha.

I like the breakdown at ~1:46. :DD

Wish I had more to say. Is this the final release? I might have to snatch it up if it is. :P

Mr. Bigglesworth wrote:@dr plague

I like the use of the vocalish synth in the intro, but some the perc needs some work when it comes to mixing. The melody is really neat, but it's a little repetitive. I like the chords you used as support and all too.

There's like...very little else I can say. Most other things are just things I like about it, so good job : p

7/10

I didn't have any chords in that, though... (If anyone is interested enough to check it out, though, I did make some minor changes and have that uploaded on my SC. I won't link it, though, because I don't think it's enough work to actually ask for review on. I'll probably repost once my friend and I figure out how we want the drop to go to get feedback on that, but till then, silently working!)

And yeah, mixing/mastering is still something I'm learning. (Well, actually, basically everything about music is still something I'm learning, haha.)

https://soundcloud.com/testsubject72/passing-time-more-wip/s-eF4Gv

You weren't kidding when you said "rough" and "glitchy"... But I'll take "rough" to mean "rough draft" and look at it that way.

I'd suggest having something in the intro to hold an idea of a beat. Unless you were specifically against that. And maybe it's just me, but it just seems slightly out of beat. I keep going through the intro, eventually bobbing my head to what I feel, but your first kick comes in slightly off of my beat. (Hopefully that's just me, hahaha.)

I definitely like the kind of dark, gritty sound you've got going. The reverse kick you have at 0:40 is a nice touch, but it's just sitting there on its own, kind of out of place. Another one comes in a little later, but, idk, I'm not feeling it coming together so much.

Since this is just the start, I'm assuming you have something to fill that silence in, too.

Damn, most of my review here turned out to be me just questioning a lot of stuff, haha. Maybe I just don't understand the genre/sound you're going for. *shrug* Hope I helped, though.

---

This is a song I made a little bit ago. There's way too much shit (like, almost literally just shit) in the project now for me to go back and work on it, but I've been thinking about doing a VIP for a long time now. If anything, a review on this track would just help me make the future VIP better. (And I definitely plan to expand on the melody more!)

https://soundcloud.com/plaguedr/z-space-wip-v2-5-4

The kinda swingy part was a last minute addition that I just don't really see a point in removing since I'm no longer working on this track. I already know it's a shitty addition to the song, so you don't need to tell me. :P Another thing, I know my use of samples is just cheesy and bad. Yay. :3
Now Nyxus
Soundcloud
Genres of choice: basically just EDM
Strengths: Compressing the shit out of already compressed stuff
Weaknesses: All that other stuff you do in music
Dr. Plague

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: I'm human, not a pony

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 25 May 2013 22:16

Yeah, I kinda made that in the middle of a creative dry spell.

I just kinda loaded up some random recording (theres very miniscule snippets of someone getting off a bus, rain etc hidden in there) and splice them into tiny bits and made them go bzzzz
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby Nine Volt » 27 May 2013 10:48

@Dr. Plague
That clap is a bit muffled. That melody definitely needs some work, and some sidechaining. It's kinda just sitting on top of the mix there. Not a bad transition to the breakdowny part, but again sidechain your stuff. I thought the sample was fine though. I like the low pitched square whoop synth, it's cool sounding. Really the song is decent, but you need to sidechain and work on that melody more. It was getting a bit tedious towards the end, then you had that part that apparently made that guy have chills. The end part is nice

@Bigglesworth
Not really much I can say on the intro, I like it. I think that kick could maybe do with some reverb. I like how that piano kinda sounds like it's coming from a radio, it's a nice touch. That snare is maybe a tad too loud. I don't think the beat is off beat, I mean it intentionally is but it's sounds fine. That second reversed kick is a nice touch. Honestly not much more to critique about this one, there's not that much here. I'd guess that ending part would be for some sort of outro?

And now my piece:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/z6s ... j7FWQ&dl=1
It's a house track with a bit of inspiration from two specific deadmau5 tracks. See if you can guess which ones :3
Nine Volt

Postby Thunder Dash » 28 May 2013 05:19

Nine Volt wrote:And now my piece:
It's a house track with a bit of inspiration from two specific deadmau5 tracks. See if you can guess which ones :3

It's okay, but has too much repitition. For the first 2 minutes was almost exactly the same thing. Try to vary up your patterns and rhythms a bit.

Here's a WIP I've been working on. It's an R&B/Funk Fusion called "A Stroll Through Ponyville"
https://soundcloud.com/thunder-dash-alt ... yville-wip
Thunder Dash

Primary: Presonus Studio One 4 Artist
Cutie Mark: Piano

Postby Nine Volt » 28 May 2013 13:48

Thunder Dash, review more tracks next time. It's not fair for us to review 2-3 tracks each with around a paragraph for each of them and then for you to come in and give 3 vague sentences on one track and expect anything more.
Nine Volt

Postby itroitnyah » 07 Jun 2013 07:59

Heya guys. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/113 ... le%201.mp3 Pretty much did a final mixdown on this and I want to get some critique on it before I master it or anything. It's a pretty basic song, sorta seems like an older style of dubstep to me.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Dr. Plague » 07 Jun 2013 14:04

Thanks for the criticism on that track, guys, that's exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for!

Just for the record, I'm pretty sure I used FL Studio's default hat, kick, and snare in that track, though the latter two are layered with others. :P

Nine Volt wrote:And now my piece:

I'm not too familiar with deadmau5, but I wanna say you started it off similarly to "Sofi Needs a Ladder", yeah? You definitely got that one spot on.

Around 2:30 when you hit the drop/climax/whatever, I'd suggest a better crash (or at least making it a little louder or sustained a bit longer).

Also, whatever deadmau5 track you're "doing" here (you know what I mean), I'm not familiar with, so I only get half points. :(

I like the kind of dark feel going, though. Digging the melody for sure.

Yeah, idk what else to say. I like it. :D

Thunder Dash wrote:It's okay, but has too much repitition. For the first 2 minutes was almost exactly the same thing. Try to vary up your patterns and rhythms a bit.

Your review is okay, but it has too much repetition. Your first two sentences were almost exactly the same thing. Try to vary up your commentary and criticism a bit. ;)

Here's a WIP I've been working on. It's an R&B/Funk Fusion called "A Stroll Through Ponyville"
https://soundcloud.com/thunder-dash-alt ... yville-wip

This is more of a personal preference than part of a review or anything, but I'd cut one or two of the kicks out of the beat you're using. Again, just personal preference, there's nothing technically wrong with that.

I agree with eery about your synths. They could use a little polishing up. I know a lot of people are against it, but if you're using FL Studio (which is just my basic assumption), use Soundgoodizer -- not as a crutch, but to learn. Hear how it saturates your synth(s) and learn how to do that yourself. From there, you can take off in whatever direction.

I like this, though, it's nice and chill, downtempo. It's almost elevator music, but I don't mean that as a negative thing. It's really nice, I'm interested in hearing you progress it.

eery wrote:Rite so, here is my thing, its a WIP of a....downtempo thing? I think? It started out as breakcore, but I kinda forgot to turn up the tempo, so it turned into this.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/76539998/breaksmirk_2.mp3

The drums are a little aggressive (though for obvious reasons) for what this is now... Are you planning on keeping this downtempo? I'm tempted to suggest turning down the intensity of the drums at the beginning, at least, to better ease in. It was a little sudden and jarring. As the song progresses its groove, though, it gets... wow, just fantastic. 1:30 and on was beautiful to listen to. And then there's that ending...

itroitnyah wrote:Heya guys. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/113 ... le%201.mp3 Pretty much did a final mixdown on this and I want to get some critique on it before I master it or anything. It's a pretty basic song, sorta seems like an older style of dubstep to me.

The one really distorted synth you have at the start is, well, really distorted. I'm still listening through so I don't know how that plays out, but I can say it's probably too distorted (again, though, pending how the rest of the track is). Your snare build-up could be done a little better. It picks up speed where I wouldn't expect it to, just sounds out of beat or something.

I see you enjoy your note slides. ;) Still, though, idk, something doesn't strike me as right. Maybe it's too much repetition in your synth use or maybe it's just your arrangement, but the drop isn't really doing the right thing for me. I think it's just all the slides, honestly. IMO you overdid it just a bit, and it really wears on my ears. Maybe try fucking around with the panning, that's always fun to do with slides.

I have to say, though, your snare. Perfect snare. Teach me.

---

So I randomly got inspired to try some glitch hop. In the end, it turned out more as just a 100bpm prog house track or something, but I at least started a drop. Curious if you guys think it's any good, obvs still has a lot work to finish.

I wish I could put better melodies together, lol (and that's not fishing for compliments, dammit, I really never am satisfied with what I can make).

https://soundcloud.com/plaguedr/untitled-100bpm
Now Nyxus
Soundcloud
Dr. Plague

Postby itroitnyah » 07 Jun 2013 22:29

Dr. Plague wrote:I have to say, though, your snare. Perfect snare. Teach me.
In here the Dubstep section, drum one-shots, Snare07. I feel like a bit of a cheater, but they wouldn't let us download it if they didn't want us to use it, lol.

he one really distorted synth you have at the start is, well, really distorted. I'm still listening through so I don't know how that plays out, but I can say it's probably too distorted (again, though, pending how the rest of the track is). Your snare build-up could be done a little better. It picks up speed where I wouldn't expect it to, just sounds out of beat or something.
Yeah, the one bass synth with all the distortion, I may run through and remove some distortion. The snare riser is sorta out of beat, I guess. I made it with a reversed snare and then a regular snare hitting in succession, I think that sounds pretty cool. May go through and fix the snare riser though.

I see you enjoy your note slides. ;) Still, though, idk, something doesn't strike me as right. Maybe it's too much repetition in your synth use or maybe it's just your arrangement, but the drop isn't really doing the right thing for me. I think it's just all the slides, honestly. IMO you overdid it just a bit, and it really wears on my ears. Maybe try fucking around with the panning, that's always fun to do with slides.
There aren't really any note slides >.> Just an LFO (saw waves either way, and then the other isn't quite a sine wave, but a slightly modified sine), but it's sorta like a slide, i guess.

Perhaps it's just my arrangement that bugs you, but that's really more of a creative issue. Sorta like how I don't really think that the drops in some house music are very good because they literally just sound like little beeps on a lead synth once every measure and stuff. But with the creative issue aside, the other advice you gave me was good, I'll see about making changes tomorrow or something.
itroitnyah

Postby Dr. Plague » 08 Jun 2013 02:14

itroitnyah wrote:Perhaps it's just my arrangement that bugs you, but that's really more of a creative issue. Sorta like how I don't really think that the drops in some house music are very good because they literally just sound like little beeps on a lead synth once every measure and stuff. But with the creative issue aside, the other advice you gave me was good, I'll see about making changes tomorrow or something.

In the end, it's whatever sounds good to you. Any criticism of arrangement from me will be purely personal opinion. If you've listened to some of my stuff, you'll see that I struggle with good arrangements too, so take what I say with a grain of salt. :P

For the snares, I just meant that you pick up the tempo of the riser a little out of beat. Wasn't criticizing having the reverse snare with the snare.
Now Nyxus
Soundcloud
Dr. Plague

Postby itroitnyah » 08 Jun 2013 08:19

Dr. Plague wrote:For the snares, I just meant that you pick up the tempo of the riser a little out of beat. Wasn't criticizing having the reverse snare with the snare.
Yeah, I knew that, and that was what I was saying that I was going to fix. The rev snare thing just might be why it's a bit out of a beat, lol. Still keeping the rev snare in there, just gunna modify the snare rise a bit.
itroitnyah

Postby Nine Volt » 08 Jun 2013 08:24

Itroitnyah, you should go review some of the tracks above you. That's what this thread is about.
Nine Volt

Postby itroitnyah » 08 Jun 2013 09:54

Yeah, I know. I've done quite a few reviews of some pieces of music, they weren't recent, so I guess you have to have recent reviews in order for the whole "get a track critiqued thing" to count? Well, to be honest, there isn't really anything I can critique on this page, because the track by eery, I'm not big into glitch or anything, I don't know enough about it to critique it, so from what I heard it sounds fine to me, and your track, 9V, sounds plenty fine, nothing I can critique there.
itroitnyah

Postby Nine Volt » 08 Jun 2013 10:12

itroitnyah wrote:Yeah, I know. I've done quite a few reviews of some pieces of music, they weren't recent, so I guess you have to have recent reviews in order for the whole "get a track critiqued thing" to count? Well, to be honest, there isn't really anything I can critique on this page, because the track by eery, I'm not big into glitch or anything, I don't know enough about it to critique it, so from what I heard it sounds fine to me, and your track, 9V, sounds plenty fine, nothing I can critique there.

Yes, you need to review 2-3 tracks for every track you want critiqued, and they should be the most recent ones. 3 tracks will make it more likely that someone will review your track because it makes it seem like you care more, but 2 is fine. They have to be somewhat in-depth reviews too, not just a sentence or two in length *coughthunderdashcough*. It doesn't matter if you're not into a genre that's been posted. I've reviewed a few orchestral tracks (though I'm into most genres so I can't say I've been in that type of situation much).
Nine Volt

Postby itroitnyah » 08 Jun 2013 10:55

Ok, well, whatever >_>

And glitch wtf, that is so not glitch.
I'm not very good with genre names and such, but it sounds like glitch to me.
itroitnyah

Postby v.lossity » 08 Jun 2013 12:32

Any other R&R failures want to share and criticize tracks? xD
v.lossity

Postby Tasorrog » 08 Jun 2013 16:45

v.lossity wrote:Any other R&R failures want to share and criticize tracks? xD

Sure :p
I'm currently on the mobile so will review a track whan I get access to my computer.

Here is the track I need a review on :p
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFl0BP9CGO0[/youtube]

(It misses 12 secounds in the beginning for some strange reason, but there is a soundcloude link in the description?)
Tasorrog

Primary: Fl Studio

Postby Genkar » 08 Jun 2013 18:50

Tasorrog wrote:Here is the track I need a review on :p

Fixed that for you. :D
Percussionist - Electronic Musician In Training
Soundcloud/Youtube/Tumblr
Genkar

Postby v.lossity » 08 Jun 2013 19:30

@Tsarrog I really like this track. Also, nice video :) First off, I would tone down the synth that comes in at 0:14 a bit. In the intro it works, but in the later sections of the track it overpowers the other voices quite a bit and seeing as it doesn't really fit with the melody later on, it feels like it should be further in the background. I love the break starting around 1:00, but I feel like the placement for the vocal sample "Come on, show Trixie what you've got" is a bit out of place. She says that and then the song gets quieter? It sounds like all you are showing is that you are maybe a bit timid. Hope that makes sense. Just feel that quote might be better off right before a drop, when something a bit more exciting is about to happen. Also, I feel like your drums in some of the buildups could be harder hitting. Maybe layer the snare with a kick, or perhaps get a snare with more bottom end. Last thing, I often say this, but it would have been nice to have a repeating and easily recognizable theme for the listener to latch on to. This was actually pretty hard to critique, pretty polished. Well done!

Here is a dropbox download of mine, and a youtube link if you just want to stream it.

Its called Pinnacle. I have an earlier version of it in this thread, but eh who's counting amirite?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2037vvyucu0xw ... Master.wav

Lets hear some more rejects!
v.lossity

Postby Tasorrog » 09 Jun 2013 05:16

v.lossity wrote:TEXT

Thanks for the feedback :)

I'll try to review your track.

Fist listen to it; okay it feel really well done to start of whit and the sound volumes are not overpowered of to weak, except the bell synth in the beginning it kinda doesn't fit in maybe adding some more effects to it. (ok it does fit in i just think it needs some more work go get in perfect) automation clip maybe of the low cut and high cut.

Maybe go down a little more before the buildups.

If you change the bells you can make some kinda fast lead to have just flying by from left to right in the more powerful parts.
Maybe add some more small elements

Overall i really like this track, kinda hard to find weaknesses i must say :)
Tasorrog

Primary: Fl Studio

Postby Muffhunter » 09 Jun 2013 05:18

--------------
DAW: FL Studio 10, Reason 4, and Reaper
VST's: Nexus, Sylenth1, 3xOSC, Massive, Toxic Biohazard, & more
Main Genres: Dubstep / Chillstep
Main Influences: Mr Fijiwiji / MitiS
https://soundcloud.com/muffhunter/i-y-f-f-e-au5-helicopter
Muffhunter

Postby v.lossity » 09 Jun 2013 05:22

Tasorrog wrote:
v.lossity wrote:TEXT

Thanks for the feedback :)

I'll try to review your track.

Fist listen to it; okay it feel really well done to start of whit and the sound volumes are not overpowered of to weak, except the bell synth in the beginning it kinda doesn't fit in maybe adding some more effects to it. (ok it does fit in i just think it needs some more work go get in perfect) automation clip maybe of the low cut and high cut.

Maybe go down a little more before the buildups.

If you change the bells you can make some kinda fast lead to have just flying by from left to right in the more powerful parts.
Maybe add some more small elements

Overall i really like this track, kinda hard to find weaknesses i must say :)

Hey thanks, thats a good point. I should have found a way to make it mesh better and some stereo spread would have been good. Good ears!

Muffhunter, please read the original post in this thread; you need to review tracks above yours to get reviews on yours. Throw some reviews up man!
v.lossity

Postby Dr. Plague » 09 Jun 2013 10:17

Tasorrog wrote:Here is the track I need a review on :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFl0BP9CGO0

First, I just want to say that I absolutely second what V said about the one growly synth. Just turn it down a little bit.

I definitely like the intro, especially the one Savant-esque zipper you've got going. That being said, maybe you'd want to introduce another synth in the intro, 'cause the one zipper is a bit overused. I don't personally mind, but I've found some people don't like whoopy synths being used too much (and I'm not even referring to people here haha).

Also agreed with V that the Trixie samples are a little out of place. For the first one ("Show Trixie what you got!") maybe just have some other kind of riser complimenting it. The second one definitely needs something else. IMO it jumps into the drop too suddenly.

v.lossity wrote:Here is a dropbox download of mine, and a youtube link if you just want to stream it.

Its called Pinnacle. I have an earlier version of it in this thread, but eh who's counting amirite?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2037vvyucu0xw ... Master.wav
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lQWzcpVSn4

First off (pun unintended), great intro. I like the one plucky synth for sure.

When you break at 1:00, the one bass you have going is a little... interesting, I suppose. Very nasal, almost like a chainsaw, but nowhere near as grating or anything. Just interesting. It fades into the background anyway, so I guess that's not such a big deal.

So in your drop, are you leaving the small spaces of silence on purpose? (Wait, has this been talked about earlier in the thread? I started typing up some stupid rant about it and got some crazy deja vu...) Well, whatever on that.

Honestly, the only real issue I have is that your kick gets a little muffled when it's surrounded by a lot of your other synths, but that's about it. Enjoyed it for sure. :P

---

You guys ignored the last track I posted. :c Oh well, I started a new one anyway... though I'd appreciate feedback on both, at least as far as musical theory and all is concerned. This is the only place I have to get help on that. I learn better by trial-and-error than by studying the theory and just applying it. Maybe this is why college has been going badly huehuehuehuehuehueuhehue

So yeah, here's the shit I've been working on for a few hours now.
http://soundcloud.com/plaguedr/killing-time

I wanna say the switch-up at 3:00 might be too sudden... any tips on how to make that flow better? Or should I just scrap the way I have it now?

Edit: That link's dead now. Did more work on it:
https://soundcloud.com/plaguedr/dr-plague-killing-time
Last edited by Dr. Plague on 09 Jun 2013 16:49, edited 1 time in total.
Now Nyxus
Soundcloud
Dr. Plague

Postby v.lossity » 09 Jun 2013 10:53

Dr. Plague wrote:............
You guys ignored the last track I posted. :c Oh well, I started a new one anyway... though I'd appreciate feedback on both, at least as far as musical theory and all is concerned. This is the only place I have to get help on that. I learn better by trial-and-error than by studying the theory and just applying it. Maybe this is why college has been going badly huehuehuehuehuehueuhehue

So yeah, here's the shit I've been working on for a few hours now.
http://soundcloud.com/plaguedr/killing-time

I wanna say the switch-up at 3:00 might be too sudden... any tips on how to make that flow better? Or should I just scrap the way I have it now?

Oh I didnt realize we skipped you! Sorry, I guess it got lost in itroitnyah and ninevolts argument :P

Anyways for the chou chou track, I would start by adding in some FX to showcase the different changes. You have some, but say a reversed cymbal leading up to one or a filter sweep would add some anticipation. Also, the synth that jumps up to the whistling pitch or whatever is a bit much for me. I dont really like how high it goes to be honest. Maybe if it held on to its low end a bit while it went up high. I dunno. Not bad though, I see improvement on every track :)

okay for the one you just posted. I really like this one so far. I would turn down the attack on that first synth though. Make it crisper and harder hitting. Actually pretty much all your synths would benefit from this I think. I really like the spacing in the backup synths leading up to a minute, very nice. I would pump up your kick. Perhaps layer some other kicks to beef it up or do some sidechain compression with the bass to let it stand out more. Also, Im not a huge fan of the portamento on the lead in this song, Im not sure it quite fits. All that being said, this is my favorite song from you yet, even despite the wonky vocal samples :P
v.lossity

Postby Dr. Plague » 09 Jun 2013 11:11

v.lossity wrote:Oh I didnt realize we skipped you! Sorry, I guess it got lost in itroitnyah and ninevolts argument :P

I didn't mean to actually look/sound so sad, it wasn't a big deal at all, haha.

Anyways for the chou chou track, I would start by adding in some FX to showcase the different changes. You have some, but say a reversed cymbal leading up to one or a filter sweep would add some anticipation.

Hmm, gotcha.

Also, the synth that jumps up to the whistling pitch or whatever is a bit much for me. I dont really like how high it goes to be honest. Maybe if it held on to its low end a bit while it went up high. I dunno. Not bad though, I see improvement on every track :)

That's one that I'd been wondering about for a bit, how it would sound to other people. (Er, before I type more of this, I'm assuming you mean the kind of whoop-y synth in the "drop"?) But yeah, I had trouble with the low end on that one (if that's the one you meant, lol). It keeps coming out sounding mucky and distorted. I guess I might layer another zipper with it to cover that low end, cut down the high... Idk, I still need to flesh out that drop anyway, it's kind of sad where it stands now lol.

okay for the one you just posted. I really like this one so far. I would turn down the attack on that first synth though. Make it crisper and harder hitting. Actually pretty much all your synths would benefit from this I think.

Lol I sidechained almost everything in Gross Beat (after the advice I got for "Z-Space"), but I just realized now that maybe having it sidechain 4x4 doesn't work when I don't have my drumbeat going 4x4 the whole track, heh.

I would pump up your kick. Perhaps layer some other kicks to beef it up or do some sidechain compression with the bass to let it stand out more.

The kick I use in the trap part or the hardcore kick? Both?

Also, Im not a huge fan of the portamento on the lead in this song, Im not sure it quite fits.

Wait, which lead? The hardcore lead or the other one (which I can only describe as sounding like a low guitar solo idk why)?

All that being said, this is my favorite song from you yet, even despite the wonky vocal samples :P

I couldn't think of anything else to fill the emptiness with, and I've been itching to use vocal samples for some time. Maybe those things can't be forced, though. :P I'll see if my imagination produces anything to replace that.

You also have no idea how much that means to me to hear/read, haha. Thanks for the consistent criticism, man, you help me out a lot more than you might realize. :P

All that being said, though, no issue with the musical theory side of things? I guess I might be starting to figure out a system that works, but I just have to be sure it's not dumb luck or just certain parts that work.
Now Nyxus
Soundcloud
Dr. Plague

Postby v.lossity » 09 Jun 2013 11:31

okay for the one you just posted. I really like this one so far. I would turn down the attack on that first synth though. Make it crisper and harder hitting. Actually pretty much all your synths would benefit from this I think.
........... maybe having it sidechain 4x4 doesn't work when I don't have my drumbeat going 4x4 the whole track, heh.
yeah that'll mess with things. I mean I dunno what DAW you are using, but in ableton you can actually sidechain compress with EQ so it will only cut certain frequencies. If you have something like this, and want to keep the sidechaining, you could just sidechain the low frequencies so they dont fight with the kick and then the higher frequencies can stay so you dont totally kill your attack. Or just fix your sidechaining and/or mixing so you dont have to sidechain.
I would pump up your kick. Perhaps layer some other kicks to beef it up or do some sidechain compression with the bass to let it stand out more.
The kick I use in the trap part or the hardcore kick? Both?
In the trap section around 45 till 55 or so.
Also, Im not a huge fan of the portamento on the lead in this song, Im not sure it quite fits.
Wait, which lead? The hardcore lead or the other one (which I can only describe as sounding like a low guitar solo idk why)?
the portamento synth starting at 1:45
All that being said, this is my favorite song from you yet, even despite the wonky vocal samples :P
You also have no idea how much that means to me to hear/read, haha. Thanks for the consistent criticism, man, you help me out a lot more than you might realize. :P
All that being said, though, no issue with the musical theory side of things? I guess I might be starting to figure out a system that works, but I just have to be sure it's not dumb luck or just certain parts that work.
Yeah I didn't hear anything out of place theory-wise. And you are very welcome :) I just wish I could get a more experienced musician to do the same for me xD
v.lossity

PreviousNext

Return to General Music Feedback and Advice