Review the track(s) above you

Let's hear what you've got, Brony. Feedback is encouraged. Please embed EQBeats, Youtube or Soundcloud.

Re: Review the track(s) above you

Postby Glitchhog » 17 Sep 2013 06:52

itroitnyah wrote:Also, any reason the name "strobe"? I can't really understand the lyrics, haha, but deadmau5 has a pretty famous song also called "strobe", just fyi.

Strobe is my artist name, the song's title is 'Noveuron'. Cheers for the feedback!
Australian-based Electrohouse producer. Check out my YouTube or SoundCloud for music, or help me out by donating.
Glitchhog

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Electrohouse

Postby Nine Volt » 17 Sep 2013 12:46

Glitchhog wrote:
itroitnyah wrote:Also, any reason the name "strobe"? I can't really understand the lyrics, haha, but deadmau5 has a pretty famous song also called "strobe", just fyi.

Strobe is my artist name, the song's title is 'Noveuron'. Cheers for the feedback!

To be honest, Noveuron is a much better artist name than Strobe. Mostly because there are literally dozens of artists going by that exact same name and hundreds going by some variant of it (yeah I know you usually write it > Strobe < but that's not better). And the songs named that as well, like deadmau5's aforementioned one. No offense.
Nine Volt

Postby Glitchhog » 18 Sep 2013 06:43

Nine Volt wrote:
Glitchhog wrote:

To be honest, Noveuron is a much better artist name than Strobe. Mostly because there are literally dozens of artists going by that exact same name and hundreds going by some variant of it (yeah I know you usually write it > Strobe < but that's not better). And the songs named that as well, like deadmau5's aforementioned one. No offense.

I feel it's a bit late to change my name now. And the song is called Noveuron, not Strobe.
Australian-based Electrohouse producer. Check out my YouTube or SoundCloud for music, or help me out by donating.
Glitchhog

Cutie Mark: Electrohouse

Postby Nine Volt » 18 Sep 2013 09:45

Glitchhog wrote:
Nine Volt wrote:
Glitchhog wrote:Strobe is my artist name, the song's title is 'Noveuron'. Cheers for the feedback!

I feel it's a bit late to change my name now. And the song is called Noveuron, not Strobe.

It's never too late to change your name. Snoop Dogg did it, deadmau5 went by "Halcyon441" for some time, etc. Just a suggestion though, obviously you could completely ignore that.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the song though. And yeah I knew it was named Noveuron. Just pointing out the songs with that name as well.
Nine Volt

Postby itroitnyah » 18 Sep 2013 14:33

Wonderful, now that that problem is resolved, would anybody mind critiquing the track I posted? If you need another link: Image
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Totalspark » 29 Sep 2013 00:27

@itroitnyah

I love the chord structure you used in the WIP, but in it, you use a snare that seems to come out above the other sounds a bit, and I would say to just bring its volume back a little bit. Otherwise, I quite enjoyed it! It's really chill.

Here's my remix:

Love, Flight, and Butterflies
Totalspark

Primary: Fl Studio 20
Cutie Mark: blank

Postby Dr. Plague » 29 Sep 2013 20:34

The high-end on your bass sounds like it's kind of drowning out the other synths. Maybe tone that down a bit? Idk if you specifically didn't want your drums in the foreground or not, but your kicks are basically entirely drowned out through most of the song, too, so maybe bring those out a bit more. If you only wanted them there to subtly drive the beat (which isn't bad or wrong by any means), then you might want to still turn it up a bit for some parts of the song.

itroitnyah wrote:Image

Initially, having the chords hit on the off-beat threw me off, but that may just be me. It grew on me and felt normal as the song went on.

I have to disagree with Totalspark on the snare. I like it just where it is. It's nice and crisp without being too overbearing at all. Well, that might be a hat you have playing with the snare, idk, but either way, sounds good to me.

The drum roll at 2:30 sounded a little out of place imo, though. Was a bit harder than the overall tone of the song.

Again, all just my opinions. I really liked the melody's progression and the slight dissonance of the chords. Your percussion is top notch too.

Glitchhog wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIixFarKSZE

I enjoyed the melody a bit, and the song overall wasn't too bad. I'm not really a fan of prog house and especially not that style of vocals (well, outside of gothic metal, anyway), so I don't have much to say. Mixing and mastering seems top notch, though, good job with that.

I hope that's going far enough back for reviews, especially considering how long I haven't posted here.

Here's a progressive electro (or whatever, genre tags are getting difficult) track I put out a couple weeks ago:

https://soundcloud.com/dr_plague/dr-plague-esper

I think it gets a little crowded at some points, but that may be due to my mixing (or just too much stereo separation on some synths)? Idk, still working on getting that down. All feedback is definitely appreciated.
Now Nyxus
Soundcloud
Genres of choice: basically just EDM
Strengths: Compressing the shit out of already compressed stuff
Weaknesses: All that other stuff you do in music
Dr. Plague

Cutie Mark: I'm human, not a pony

Postby itroitnyah » 03 Oct 2013 18:16

Dr. Plague wrote:Initially, having the chords hit on the off-beat threw me off, but that may just be me. It grew on me and felt normal as the song went on.
What? no. If you check the structuring, it's hitting on the on-beat.
itroitnyah

Postby Stakeout Punch » 03 Oct 2013 19:31

@Dr. Plague
Nice song. TBH I think it would make good BGM for racing/hi-tech styled games. It seems a little repetitive and I couldn't catch an obvious melody (Which is why I almost immediately thought of BGM). It's just a damn groovy track I can jam to while drifting and otherwise shredding tires, or while flying around in space shooting lasers at anything and everything. I can't critique mixing or anything of that catagory because I am on laptop speakers.

Here's my track, yo:
https://soundcloud.com/stakeoutpunch/bigger-picture-remix
As you can tell, it's a remix and also my first full finished track using FL.
I rarely visit anymore. Also known as ZeoHeart and Xeno.
https://soundcloud.com/stakeoutpunch/sets/adios-ep
Stakeout Punch

Primary: FL 12 XXL
Cutie Mark: Banhammer

Postby Dr. Plague » 04 Oct 2013 00:38

itroitnyah wrote:
Dr. Plague wrote:Initially, having the chords hit on the off-beat threw me off, but that may just be me. It grew on me and felt normal as the song went on.
What? no. If you check the structuring, it's hitting on the on-beat.

Oh, my bad, lol.

stakeout poni wrote:https://soundcloud.com/stakeoutpunch/bigger-picture-remix

I like it all, but that first drop comes out of nowhere. It could definitely use with a little more build-up. Maybe it's just my personal taste, but I feel like you had the drums going a little harder than the mood of the song, but it didn't take away from the song at all. Just my personal two cents.

I don't know the original song, so idk how much you varied on the original melody and all, but if you did, great job. If not, well, great job with the song anyway! Great mixing and mastering, too, imo.

Overall, definitely enjoyed it! Great song.

Here's a short track I worked on for the past two or three days. Started out wanting to make it something hardstyle but kind of moved away from that to disco house... but then I also liked the original intro, so now it's just kind of wonky.

https://soundcloud.com/dr_plague/kitsunetsuki
Now Nyxus
Soundcloud
Dr. Plague

Postby Thunder Dash » 04 Oct 2013 22:01

@ Dr Plague

Alright the first thing that really got my attention was that synth at the begining right after the reverberated laugh. There's just something about that synth that bothers me. It feels as if it needs a little reverb, it feels too dry. But the sweeping pads that follow after are pretty sweet. Also, I really liked that d&b fake-out you put in there. I really thought it was gonna end up being a drum and bass song. Nice going on that.

The vocal effect is just downright awesome. How'd you do that? I'd love to know. The synths on top of it blended in really nicely.

The slowdown around the 1 minute mark was well placed, it gave a nice sense of change of feel to the music while mantaining the same mood.

Overall, it was a very well crafted piece. Bravo!

Here's mine: https://soundcloud.com/thunder-dash-alt ... stal-realm
Thunder Dash

Primary: Presonus Studio One 4 Artist
Cutie Mark: Piano

Postby Dr. Plague » 05 Oct 2013 12:28

Kick could be a little higher in the mix, but as I said before to Totalspark, if you were only having it there to help drive the beat rather than be the main force of the beat, then it's fine where it is.

I don't know how else to put it other than "the mastering could be better," but that's literally the only issue I find with this. Beautiful, man, that was just great. Pretty epic (in the literal sense of the word).
Now Nyxus
Soundcloud
Dr. Plague

Postby KillerAmp » 07 Oct 2013 22:31

@dr. Plague
for Kitsunetsuki
most nitpicky thing i could really say is that some of your synths seem really dry and there's silence between the notes in the melodies for those synths. Personally i find that to be rather irritating while listening, but to each his own haha. Your melody creation is coming along nicely, and i guess a little work on the mixing is due, i cant pinpoint exactly what it was that caught my attention since im using my semibad headphones right now, but I'll see if i can get back to you on that later haha.

Here's my track errybodie
https://soundcloud.com/officialaristokat/end-an-order-of-fries
only about 15-30 min of work on it, so im sure the mixing and stuff isnt too superb, but i'd love some opinions regardless!

[UPDATE] changed the link to the newest version of the track
Last edited by KillerAmp on 11 Oct 2013 22:40, edited 1 time in total.
KillerAmp

Primary: Ableton Live 9
Cutie Mark: Feels

Postby Dr. Plague » 07 Oct 2013 23:19

KillerAmp wrote:@dr. Plague
for Kitsunetsuki
most nitpicky thing i could really say is that some of your synths seem really dry and there's silence between the notes in the melodies for those synths. Personally i find that to be rather irritating while listening, but to each his own haha. Your melody creation is coming along nicely, and i guess a little work on the mixing is due, i cant pinpoint exactly what it was that caught my attention since im using my semibad headphones right now, but I'll see if i can get back to you on that later haha.

Yeah, I wanna say mixing (and "spicing up" my synths) better is something I need to work on more. Thanks for that feedback! I'd definitely appreciate more specifics if you find the time to do that. (Doing that via PM is fine by me if it's fine by you.)

Here's my track errybodie
https://soundcloud.com/officialaristokat/end-01
only about 15-30 min of work on it, so im sure the mixing and stuff isnt too superb, but i'd love some opinions regardless!

I clicked play and moved off the tab, and I wish I could explain in words how disappointed I was when it cut off at the end. Great melody and build-up going, definitely looking forward to hearing the rest when you do more.

Your lead might do with a tad less reverb (at least on the low end), but that might just be me. Or is that maybe another synth? It's hard for me to judge things just by ear without muh spectrograph.

Well, that's all I really have. Fixed the mistake of not following you yet. Be sure to post more WIPs of that!
Now Nyxus
Soundcloud
Dr. Plague

Postby KillerAmp » 08 Oct 2013 12:25

Haha thanks man every one of my followers mean a lot to me!
Yeah there are some things im itching to fix once i get outta school.
i hear ya on the reverb issue, ive been listening to it between classes, shits muddy as hell and too wet so im totally gonna have to fix that, most likely im gonna mess wiyh octaves of everything and give it a really ambient intro, kinda Strobe-esque
so yeah ill see how much of that i can get done tonight :D
Again thanks for the follow m8!
KillerAmp

Postby Jokeblue » 11 Oct 2013 21:39

Ah... I'm not sure which track to review :3

Killer amp, it says that you're soundcloud link is broken or not working, so I can't do yours... I guess Dr. Plague and then Thunder Dash it is then :3 Seeing as i'm not an electronic/synth based muso, my reviews wont really be that technical, I guess. Sorry.

Ok, something about the intro from 3-10 seconds in kind of annoys me, but past the buildup at the 30 second mark everything starts to sound how it should be, and becomes more enjoyable. And I really wasn't expecting the tempo to drop like that. I really like that section, really groovy, and really enjoyable. The vocal effect is pretty cool too... Sorry I cant say a lot more. :3

OK, Thunder Dash! Soft awesome track! Love when that synth that kind of sounded like a violin came in. The chord progressions and structure are good, changing and moving enough to keep me interested, but not so much that a part happens and then it's over immediately and I cry cos it's not there anymore. It stays quiet for kind of a long time, that little quiet section is good, after that though I was expecting more lower end from a classical piano and a slightly bigger dynamic buildup, the drums could be boosted a little, I think. meybe just a little. I dont know. Also something about the tom roll/fill thingy that you used a few times in there, sounded a little strange. Maybe its the samples you were using for it, or something. I can see what you wanted to do, but it was just a little off. Doesnt bother me too much though. And also, keychange! I think. sounded like it. That was fun. I liked it. Also like how it slows down for the ending.

I guess, with the second half of the song after the little soft part, it feels like its supposed to get bigger dynamically, but the whole track sounds slightly muffled, which is alright until it gets to the post 1:50 mark. It kind of sounds like you took a musical blanket and put the blanket over your track.

But I love the track, I really do get a kind of... I dunno, magical feeling from it, and, if it's what you were going for, it really fits the Crystal empire and the whole of Friendship is magic really, really well.

Is that enough? Did I do good?

Anyway, heres my WIP. It's kinda riddled with errors and small parts that are out of time. Also soundcloud is a bitch and I think melded the left and right tracks together, because when I listen to it through headphones the left and right guitars dont stay on their respective sides. Though, it works through my Stereo so I dont even know.

https://soundcloud.com/jeremyjokeblue/i ... n-anything
Youtube || Soundcloud || Skype: Thejokingblue

New song! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4lFqkuY5Fg
Jokeblue

Primary: Protools SE
Cutie Mark: Failure

Postby Dr. Plague » 11 Oct 2013 23:53

Jokeblue wrote:Ok, something about the intro from 3-10 seconds in kind of annoys me,

Yeah, I was a bit lazy with the intro but just decided fuggit.

Oh shit, metal! My best friend before I got into EDM~!

The only issue that really strikes me is in your drumbeat, right at the start, it sounds like you have two kicks one after another real fast, but something about it bothers me. I can't really tell if it's the kicks or maybe part of the bassline, but yeah, it just seems slightly out of tempo or something.

Also, during the acoustic outro part, idk, something about the guitars going 4x4 for that melody is irking me. Maybe I'm just used to it being a bit more varied in metal.

Other than those minor details, I really liked that, dude, awesome!
Now Nyxus
Soundcloud
Dr. Plague

Postby Jokeblue » 12 Oct 2013 01:06

Dr. Plague wrote:
Jokeblue wrote:https://soundcloud.com/jeremyjokeblue/i-didnt-learn-anything

Oh shit, metal! My best friend before I got into EDM~!

The only issue that really strikes me is in your drumbeat, right at the start, it sounds like you have two kicks one after another real fast, but something about it bothers me. I can't really tell if it's the kicks or maybe part of the bassline, but yeah, it just seems slightly out of tempo or something.

Also, during the acoustic outro part, idk, something about the guitars going 4x4 for that melody is irking me. Maybe I'm just used to it being a bit more varied in metal.

Other than those minor details, I really liked that, dude, awesome!

Yeah, the kick's like that at the start. My problem at the moment is that I don't actually know how to program my own drum tracks and have no understanding of drum notation or how drums work. So right now, I'm using the preprogrammed drumloops that come in Protools. I couldnt really find any other beats that worked well enough, and the one I found for the chorus sounds like it was recorded on a different kit to the first one, so that gets a little annoying. Drums will probably be done better, with help from a friend. I have to rerecord the guitars in parts because im not happy with them, they go out of time quite alot. Same with the bass.

Also, the songs not starting there :3 I was trying to come up with a clean melody that I could use to build up into the song, but nothing came to mind, so I just recorded the heavy part. The clean section at the end too, is also more of a bridge-ish section. The songs going to go on a lot longer after that (with a folky/pirate-metally riff later eee!). It used to be C, A#, F, which sounded kinda happier and had more of a classic/hard rock feel to it, before I changed the progression to C, A#, G#, which was more minor. But I don't know what to do with the song after that progression so it might change back if I can't get an idea. Couldn't think of a better melody, either :3
Do you have any idea's on how I could make it a little more varied?

What do you mean '4x4' with the guitars? Is it the splitting, having the lower part on the left with the higher version on the right?

Oh! and thanks for the follow on Soundcloud! :3

Jokeblue

Postby simonli2575 » 12 Oct 2013 01:26

Nice to see that this thread is finally coming back alive.
Might find a chance to review someone's song later.
http://soundcloud.com/simonli2575
My YouTube channel
Steam profile
Software: FL Studio, Z3ta+2 & Massive
Hardware: Roland 800-Pro and a computer
Genres: Drum 'n' Bass and occasionally Jungle
Genres I want to try out: Dubstep, Breakcore, Hardstyle and Trap
Alycs made my new avatar. \o/
simonli2575

Cutie Mark: Why are you staring at my ass

Postby Dr. Plague » 13 Oct 2013 00:55

Jokeblue wrote:Do you have any idea's on how I could make it a little more varied?

Couldn't help you with anything music theory. I'm still learning that and just rely on the "randomly place notes until the melody sounds good" technique.

What do you mean '4x4' with the guitars? Is it the splitting, having the lower part on the left with the higher version on the right?
Like following a... shit, idk how else to put it other than 4x4. Instead of using 1/6 or 1/3 notes, just going with 1/4, 1/2, etc.
Now Nyxus
Soundcloud
Dr. Plague

Postby Jokeblue » 13 Oct 2013 01:55

Oh, so you mean the note values? I think I get it, like how I'm using straight quavers most the time?

Or do you mean the time signature? Like how I'm using just a normal 4|4 time sig?

Jokeblue

Postby Dr. Plague » 14 Oct 2013 13:18

Jokeblue wrote:Oh, so you mean the note values? I think I get it, like how I'm using straight quavers most the time?

Or do you mean the time signature? Like how I'm using just a normal 4|4 time sig?

YES
TIME SIGNATURE
that's the phrase I was looking for
just straight up 4/4 with the acoustic sounds off, is all
maybe throw a 3/4 or 6/4 (OH GOD I HOPE I WROTE THAT RIGHT) arpeggio in there, maybe?
that's just me, though
Now Nyxus
Soundcloud
Dr. Plague

Postby Jokeblue » 14 Oct 2013 16:11

Haha, yeah you wrote that right. Except I'm pretty sure it would be 6|8 time. I see what your saying, too. I'll see how it sounds if I change it to 3|4 or 6|8. Eithe I those could sound really good there :3

Jokeblue

Postby KillerAmp » 17 Oct 2013 14:01

haha funny you should mention music theory,
I studied it for 2 years in school, and I know it really well, and ill be honest, It didn't really help me personally with writing melodies/chords/ect. For the most part my music just feels and vibes, randomly putting in what i hear in my head haha

I guess i just know how my music should sound *shrug*
KillerAmp

Postby itroitnyah » 22 Oct 2013 18:53

Jokeblue's metal track

I know that you posted this a while ago, but I'm supposed to review a track before I link to mine.

Is there a kick in your WIP? Because I can't hear it. Might want to turn it up. The hats could also use a bit of turning up, imo. That part is really up to opinion though.

The song is also very very repetitive. It sounds like I'm listening to the same measures over and over again.

To go along with the mixing, it sounds almost like there's an instrument underneath the distorted electric guitar thingy merjiggy. Like a bass guitar or something. If there's actually a bass guitar there, it's so quiet I can't hear it at all. You'll want to turn it up definitely.

Also, I don't see how the song relates to Applejack not learning anything (reference to that one episode of mlp, I know). It really sounds a lot more like you were throwing down chords and melodies and stuff and having a blast making it then dropped pony on it for the sake of pony. Unless you just have some pony samples you're going to throw in, I'd drop the pony thing and just keep it as a regular song.
itroitnyah

PreviousNext

Return to General Music Feedback and Advice