Toast Beard Compo General

Current events we're participating in.

Re: Toast Beard Compo General

Postby Macarou » 10 Nov 2012 08:54

Hi there. Sorry to bother you, but for some reason my entry to this week's Toastbeard: http://toastbeard.bronyradio.com/a/ZIQ58/ did not embed properly, meaning that it does not play the track. Not only this, but Toastbeard is not letting me delete my entry (I am still on the same IP and have entered my password correctly), so I am unable to submit the fixed version.
Last edited by Macarou on 10 Nov 2012 15:45, edited 1 time in total.
Macarou

Primary: FL Studio 11 and Supercollider
Cutie Mark: Purple Double Cleff

Postby sci » 10 Nov 2012 15:21

WavesOfParadox wrote:Hey sci, what if we did an episode response compo to Double Rainboom then package all the quality tracks together into an album? Perhaps it could be two weeks instead of one for a special occasion? We would also spread the word so it would be more popular than a normal TB.

uhhh idk
I'm definitely not about to try to handle the organizing of an album, though. <_<

Macarou wrote:Hi there. Sorry to bother you, but for some reason my entry to this week's Toastbeard: http://toastbeard.bronyradio.com/a/ZIQ58/ did not embed properly, meaning that it does not play the track. Not only this, but Toastbeard is not letting me delete my entry (I am still on the same IP and have entered my password correctly), so I am unable to put submit fixed the embed version.

seems to be working fine as far as I can tell
I guess you fixed it?
sci

Primary: OpenMPT
Cutie Mark: Sampling

Postby Macarou » 10 Nov 2012 15:44

sci wrote:seems to be working fine as far as I can tell
I guess you fixed it?

The current embed doesn't include the song; it just states "Page not found". I think I accidentally copied the embed on EqBeats, instead of the url. I know how to fix this problem, but that would mean deleting the post and resubmitting the "fixed" version; which for some reason is not letting me do. Apologies for this, I will make sure not to be so careless next time.
Macarou

Postby sci » 10 Nov 2012 15:59

uhh no that's the correct way to embed.

it works perfectly for me.
sci

Postby Macarou » 10 Nov 2012 16:07

Regardless, for some reason my current submission doesn't seem to play the track, or even include the song.
Macarou

Postby sci » 10 Nov 2012 19:05

this toastbeard KICKED SO MUCH ASS
OMG
woah
yeah

ZIQ58: here's what you missed:
sounds: http://toastbeard.bronyradio.com/a/ZIQ58/
words: http://pastebin.com/rKwz9UzH

NEXT ROUND: SEASON 3~!!$^!#$^
http://toastbeard.bronyradio.com/a/ER301/
episode response.

you can submit your entry to both ER301 and The Third Beginning if you want, unless camsy has a problem with that. (though based on the time of the compo, I don't think it'll be a problem.)
sci

Postby Gray Ham » 11 Nov 2012 05:42

And now everyone knows about Tombstone. :P
currently on a hiatus from actively making music due to school

ImageImage
What's soaking wet and clueless?
Gray Ham

Primary: ACID
Cutie Mark: A Trumpet

Postby FLAOFEI » 14 Nov 2012 16:37

Can anyone just help me... I have a track ready to submit... Where do I submit? Is it the same thing as the voteing form, or is there some other complicated way to post that im not seing?
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
https://soundcloud.com/flaofei/brothel-king
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
ImageOMG POLKA PLOT!!! BEST ALBUM IN THE HISTORY OF POLKACORE!!!
FLAOFEI

Primary: Fruit Loops 10
Cutie Mark: POLKA PLOT

Postby Magnitude Zero » 14 Nov 2012 16:50

FLAOFEI wrote:Can anyone just help me... I have a track ready to submit... Where do I submit? Is it the same thing as the voteing form, or is there some other complicated way to post that im not seing?

Go here.

Put your name in "name".

Put your website (can be Youtube, Soundcloud, etc.) in email/website, if you have one.

The "Comments" box is basically your description.

Now you can either upload the .mp3 directly under file, or embed it through Soundcloud or EQbeats in embed. There's a little link there that explains embedding.

You should put a password there to delete your post in case you dick it up :P.
Formerly known as Blind

DAW: FL Studio 10
Style: Chill/Downtempo

Soundcloud | Youtube | Tumblr
Magnitude Zero

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: Horse butt not large enough

Postby FLAOFEI » 14 Nov 2012 17:02

Thanx, it worked now :)
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
FLAOFEI

Postby Mush » 17 Nov 2012 20:48

Well... this went well. A few people requested a link to the final upload so... here.

Mad tunes on my channel yo.
Mush's YouTube

Pixels are your friend, buy them a beer.

Hey, want to chat? Add me on skype: stevenmagnet
Mush

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Synthesis

Postby sci » 17 Nov 2012 22:08

heh, for all those that were concerned about Toast Beard activity dwindling....
this sync was just short of 2 hours in length.
...and this was the first round to reach 3 pages since ZIQ45.

also the tunes kicked ass.

all is well in toastbeardland ~

so, ER301: here's what you missed:
sounds http://toastbeard.bronyradio.com/a/ER301/
words http://pastebin.com/9jquVeiW

next round set.
of course it's about pinkie pie
http://toastbeard.bronyradio.com/a/ER303/
sci

Postby VINXIS » 17 Nov 2012 22:21

yea soo... I was suprised by the response for the track...

Also, I didn't even know that there was a toastbeard for a S3 response when I even uploaded it... so this wan't originally for toastbeard, but it IS my first toastbeard.
VINXIS

Primary: Ableton 9 live (like 99% of the time)
Cutie Mark: pls

Postby Solarsail » 24 Nov 2012 14:27

sci wrote:
Solarsail wrote: I don't know why the "big name" musicians aren't doing serious, lasting TB entries any more but shortening [the deadline] ensures they will defiinitely not.

I disagree thoroughly.

this is based off of what I've seen / experienced in #thasauce OHCs:
every week, the same group of people will gather in the chatroom for a few hours, write a song, sync listen, leave, and repeat.
and every week, the entries range from silly to amazing, with (much) more of the latter than the former.

I'm hoping that, maybe, if I shorten the deadline enough, the chatroom will become a bit more of a centerpiece of each compo (like with #thasauce), leading to more engagement (for lack of a better word).

Speedwriting is a challenge. Yes, you'll end up with some half-finished entries and yes, some people will just spend the time making a troll entry. but that's ok.
For the first group, they now have the base of a song that could become the next Rainbow Factory.
For the second group, hopefully the result is worth a laugh during the sync.

It will be different from TB as it is right now, but it won't be detrimental.

but have people noticed that particpation and voting HAVE declined? That's shocking... it seemed to happen after the sync listen changed times.
I don't think the schedule shifting and the participation decline are linked.
For myself, and the few people I've talked to about it, school is getting in the way.
If, when summer break starts, there isn't a resurgence of participation, then I'll start worrying.

everyone that just suggested themes

yes, good. I am taking notes. :3

Looks like your plan from 7 months ago failed. Toastbeard is irrelevant and pony music is mostly dead. I hope you're happy.
Solarsail

Postby BinaryBludgeon » 24 Nov 2012 16:37

Solarsail wrote:Looks like your plan from 7 months ago failed. Toastbeard is irrelevant and pony music is mostly dead. I hope you're happy.

Hehe
BinaryBludgeon

Postby sci » 24 Nov 2012 19:18

Solarsail wrote:Looks like your plan from 7 months ago failed. Toastbeard is irrelevant and pony music is mostly dead. I hope you're happy.

hehe

WHY YES THIS WAS A GOOD WEEK FOR MUSIC

ER303 here's what you missed:
sounds: http://toastbeard.bronyradio.com/a/ER303/index.php
words: http://pastebin.com/kSYeGr1z

ok but seriously.
first of all, I don't think I ever enacted on the proposed plan from 7 months ago.
the compos are still weekual.

but other than that
Toastbeard is irrelevant

????
you mean how songs from TB don't get dedicated posts on EqD anymore?
because I think that shows more of a change in the music environment as a whole than just "no good songs come out of TB anymore"

pony music is mostly dead.

but is it?
and is that even a bad thing?
because music certainly isn't dead.
and as bartekko will attest, shoehorned ponies are the worst kind of ponies.

and really, the thing is...
sci wrote:this is based off of what I've seen / experienced in #thasauce OHCs:
every week, the same group of people will gather in the chatroom for a few hours, write a song, sync listen, leave, and repeat.
and every week, the entries range from silly to amazing, with (much) more of the latter than the former.

I'm hoping that, maybe, if I shorten the deadline enough, the chatroom will become a bit more of a centerpiece of each compo (like with #thasauce), leading to more engagement (for lack of a better word).

that is exactly what happened.
we are full of regulars right now.
everybody knows everybody else.
we're watching each other grow and learn.

If popularity and connection to pony is the determinate for success, then sure, it's a failure.
And I'm fine with that.
Because as a way for artists to grow, together, with friends, ToastBeard is doing fine.

I think it is the most successful thing I've done.
sci

Postby CaptainFluffatun » 24 Nov 2012 20:03

sci i lov u
CaptainFluffatun

Primary: Cubase 5
Cutie Mark: Orchestral

Postby NoPony » 25 Nov 2012 08:45

That was really fun and (after reading the log to see what I missed when my track was playing) I can't wait to enter again. I've already got plenty of ideas for this week and the week after that...on top of the things I'm doing besides that...and the other things I have going on... I need to pay some attention to real life too...huh...that's alot of stuff now that I think about it......totally worth it XD
NoPony breaks a Pinkie Promise.
"I didn't get away with it either...Sigh"
NoPony

Postby sci » 30 Nov 2012 19:17

the first ever Videogame Remix Compo sync was held today!

it went fairly smoothly, though there was a lot of off topic conversation during the sync. :\

revisions and things to come. for now, VOTE!

VRC01 here's what you missed:
sounds: http://toastbeard.bronyradio.com/a/VRC01/
words: http://pastebin.com/Kzsm2nkc

voting ends on Tuesday and the next round starts on Friday (the 4th and 7th, respectively)
sci

Postby Freewave » 01 Dec 2012 14:36

sci wrote:

hehe

WHY YES THIS WAS A GOOD WEEK FOR MUSIC

ER303 here's what you missed:
sounds: http://toastbeard.bronyradio.com/a/ER303/index.php
words: http://pastebin.com/kSYeGr1z

ok but seriously.
first of all, I don't think I ever enacted on the proposed plan from 7 months ago.
the compos are still weekual.

but other than that
Toastbeard is irrelevant

????
you mean how songs from TB don't get dedicated posts on EqD anymore?
because I think that shows more of a change in the music environment as a whole than just "no good songs come out of TB anymore"

pony music is mostly dead.

but is it?
and is that even a bad thing?
because music certainly isn't dead.
and as bartekko will attest, shoehorned ponies are the worst kind of ponies.

and really, the thing is...
sci wrote:this is based off of what I've seen / experienced in #thasauce OHCs:

that is exactly what happened.
we are full of regulars right now.
everybody knows everybody else.
we're watching each other grow and learn.

If popularity and connection to pony is the determinate for success, then sure, it's a failure.
And I'm fine with that.
Because as a way for artists to grow, together, with friends, ToastBeard is doing fine.

I think it is the most successful thing I've done.

Wow I can't believe that he was that rude to you sci. While i agree that Toastbeard is a far cry from the star quality productions that we used to see back in the day (because those people have moved on) I have no doubt that it still means something to the people who particpate currently. It does seem that once people have "graduated" from toast beard that they just make music their own way, based on the topic they want, and generally at a more comfortable pace. I probably would have loved it if there was a 2 week turnaround as more people would give better and more polished results but that's always been your decision to avoid that. Either way I appreciate that TB for still being around for the new people to get involved in and know it's likely gonna be more active again with new ep responses out. Brony music dead? Toastbeard to blame? Hardly. You should be proud for all it's done for this community. :)
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby A2Z » 01 Dec 2012 15:35

I love Toastbeard. It combines my love for making music with other people who share a common interest. The IRC is a great way to spend time with others in the fandom and have fun doing so, even if we are hundreds of miles away from each other.

I believe that the growth of all the artists currently attending the TB and the friendships we've accrued have been a fantastic payoff for the massive effort of sci and others. For that I say thank you sci and anyone else that has helped foster what TB is. Thank you to all who participate and help to make TB grow strong as a positive, encouraging, music composition community.

As for the decline of participation, I agree with sci that school may be a huge factor to consider. I for one am full time in college right now and taking on a sizable amount of work at my job. I work overnights doing stocking, and school from the mid-afternoon to late at night. My schedule has me stressed out at times to where my free time is spent just trying to relax and relieve some tension, and that doesn't always include making music. I know over the summer I was able to easily participate in TB compos. With Finals right in front of us, it's kind of hard to compose right now. It won't get that much better with the holidays going on and people spending time with family or just simply partying and what not.

Also I don't know why music made by fans of my little pony has to have a special "genre" of brony music or something. I mean, what really qualifies something to have such a label? Use of pony samples? A title that alludes to the show? Beyond these two qualities I can't think of anything that would make a track stand out from something "non-pony". Unless you ask an artist exactly why they wrote their song and inspiration for it, you can't tell the difference. (unless of course they upload it to YouTube with a pony background or something similar). Remixes aside, lack of "pony music" isn't a detrimental factor to making great music within the fandom. This is just my opinion however, and I may have rambled in areas.

Also,
CaptainFluffatun wrote:sci i lov u
I am here to see what you do and omg it's cute

Here is my [audiocumulus]: soundcloud.com/blacklight60
A2Z

Postby sci » 01 Dec 2012 22:19

thx guys :)

YEAEYEAEYEAEYEAEYEAEYEAEYEAEYEAEYEAEYEAEYEAEYEAEYEAH ER304 here's what you missed
YEAEYEAEYEAEYEAEYEAEYEAEYEAEYEAEYEAEYEAEYEAEYEAEYEAH sounds: http://toastbeard.bronyradio.com/a/ER304/
YEAEYEAEYEAEYEAEYEAEYEAEYEAEYEAEYEAEYEAEYEAEYEAEYEAH words: http://pastebin.com/UL8xsLD2

next round is YEAEYEAEYEAEYEAEYEAEYEAEYEAEYEAEYEAEYEAEYEAEYEAEYEAH set:
http://toastbeard.bronyradio.com/a/ER305/
sci

Postby CaptainFluffatun » 01 Dec 2012 23:52

I hope to make a song for this week, but we'll see
CaptainFluffatun

Primary: Cubase 5
Cutie Mark: Orchestral

Postby FLAOFEI » 02 Dec 2012 04:38

Hmmm... This would be perfect for a matrix reference. "What good is a phonecall, if you dont have a mouth?"
And changeing it to "What good is a cupcake if you dont have a mouth?"

Feel free to steel my idea, I probably wont have time to make it my self.
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
FLAOFEI

Postby ghelded_kultz » 02 Dec 2012 08:54

Ghelded Kultz already has ideas for a serious attempt at this toastbeard. We'll see what happens.
"Wherever we are, what we hear is mostly noise. When we ignore it, it disturbs us. When we listen to it, we find it fascinating." - John Cage

Trolls and makers of bad music, thats us!
http://soundcloud.com/ghelded-kultz/tracks
ghelded_kultz

PreviousNext

Return to Challenges, Contests, and Events