DAW vs. DAW DUELING!

Current events we're participating in.

DAW vs. DAW DUELING!

Postby StormWolf » 11 Dec 2011 02:04

Ok, everyone who does toastbeard will know that OMFG DJSF AND REPLACERS DUEL WAS SO EPIC

I was reading through the chatlog and stuff and noticed that many people liked the idea, and wanted to do it too

I don't really know how to organize competitions/events and stuff but if someone who does know, wants to organize this, please do :3 I think it's a wonderful idea.

Probably would be best to have it after the charity album thingos finished though

Anyone wanna discuss ideas/opinions on this concept of musical dueling?
-StormWolf

YouTube | SoundCloud
StormWolf

Re: DAW vs. DAW DUELING!

Postby MichaelA » 11 Dec 2011 04:37

I'm down for dueling against someone else's DAW. Sound fun :)
------------------
My Youtube
^^ Go sub, yo!
MichaelA

Postby Aussie » 11 Dec 2011 04:40

Me wrote:Are you still up for the dueling DAW thing?

Jackle wrote:yeah sure

I MEAN

HECK YEAH

AS YOU CAN SEE JACKLE IS VERY EXCITED TO GET THIS COLLAB UNDERWAY

AND I AGREE THAT WE SHOULD ALL DO THIS
Aussie

Postby bartekko » 11 Dec 2011 05:00

Um... what is going on?

what's the DAW vs. DAW dueling? 6_9
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby StormWolf » 11 Dec 2011 06:58

Bartekko, refer to stablefree and replacer toastbeard entry for ziq 16, it explains everything

Also, I want to state that I'm fair sure pairings don't HAVE to have different daws, but it makes it more fun to "fight: for your own daw xD

I will gladly defend the pride of garageband (which to my knowledge is used by barely anyone on here)...

For those who don't know how the DAW vs. DAW thing works, basically it's like this

First pairs need to agree on a tempo and key signature. Tempo changes are allowed, but note that they are probably hard to do and would only work if you communicate properly between yourselves.

Then basically, choose one person to start. They then write 16 bars of music (the amount of bars can be negotiated) in any style/genre they want. Then they export it as a high quality .wav file, pass it onto the next person and the next person then does their music

Of course, people need to try to make it blend decently. Just think of something like the intermission for rw4.

Competitors must be creative, try to use multiple genres (again, example djsf vs replacer), to make it interesting, and to fight back with a punch. Remember guys, this is a DUEL, you have to try to make your section sound MUCH MORE SPECTACULAR then your partners. And of course, they will do so too.

Basically you'll just keep passing the files to each other and doing a certain amount of bars each until you fell the song is long enough.

~Some rules~
1. You are NOT ALLOWED to edit a previous part that you've worked on, i.e. once you make your 16 (or so) bars and export, you are NEVER ALLOWED TO OPEN THAT PROJECT FILE AGAIN. EVER.
Well maybe after the duel is over, you can then. :P
2. You are allowed to slightly edit your opponent's arrangement, but ONLY near the ending, for smoothing transitions. You are NOT allowed to edit any other part of it (I have a feeling some cheeky people will try to add in stupid sounds or something to make their opponent's song sound silly, I dunno xD).
3. If you can't decide who goes first, just let the person with the least subscribers go first. Give the underdogs an upper hand :P
4. I dunno, there are probably things I've missed, which I'm sure people will point out!
edit: Oh yeah, you don't HAVE to have different DAWs.

NOW for some random tips:
1- Share samples! even though you are competing, if you use similar samples for drums and such (for some of the arrangements, not all) then it'll help the whole thing flow as a whole :D
2- BE EXPERIMENTAL- try out new genres! It'll make the duel much more interesting and will probably award you points :3 (Not even sure how the scorings going to work yet...)
3- Don't get too competitive- we don't want anyone getting killed (Yes, stupid tip I know)
4- HAVE FUN! The whole point of this is that it'll be fun!

So yeah, get you pair, and make some fine music!

I'm not sure how I'm going to organize this as of yet, and I'll probably get stablefree and replacer to help me on this (damnit stablefrees on holiday until next weekend D:), so for now just find someone to pair up with/research on other genres I guess :P

Wow I typed a lot...

As of now this is all just an idea/planning thing so yeah, I dunno
Just wanna see how many people are interested :D
(Also we may have to postpone this, wouldn't want it getting in the way of everyone's charity album projects)

inb4 no-one replies to this ;___;
-StormWolf

YouTube | SoundCloud
StormWolf

Postby Icky » 11 Dec 2011 08:58

Who dares to challenge the great and powerful Rockin'!?
Icky

Postby bartekko » 11 Dec 2011 09:01

um... I dare to challenge you, if you don't mind
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby Darktrot » 11 Dec 2011 11:09

Ill fight.
DARKTROT MUSIC FOREVER
Darktrot

Postby Tephrax » 11 Dec 2011 13:01

hellz yeah, Sounds like fun! Even if I will get completely decimated.

Forsooth, ye loops of fruit, I will fight for thee!
Tephrax will never Give you up, let you down, run around or desert you.
http://soundcloud.com/tephrax/never-gonna-give-you-up-piano
YouTube!
Soundcloud
Tephrax

Postby randomblockfilms » 11 Dec 2011 22:52

ooooohhh!! this sounds interesting!! sure ill fight somebody. ILL TAKE EM TO THE GROUND!! unless they take me down first. :P
mahYoutubeChannal

Take my advice with a grain of salt as i too am learning how this music stuff works
English is my native language but it is defiantly not my forte.
randomblockfilms

Primary: Ableton 8

Postby replacer » 12 Dec 2011 02:54

Heh, looks like this is gonna be a thing :D

Just wanted to mention some stuff. Firstly, when djsf and I agreed on the concept, it was going to be five seconds per turn - a crazy rapid-fire switch back and forth. I have no idea how that would have turned out. Anyway shit happened and we didn't get started until Thursday, so we revised it to sixteen bars each so we could get a decently long track up for TB. I think eight bars would have been better. So the length of responses was ad hoc in our case and should be considered very flexible indeed.

I also imagined it would be okay to lift samples from earlier in the track and play around in such fashion, although we didn't end up doing that.

A couple other observations - our project got louder and louder as it went along (though I fixed it in the final), so it's probably worth checking to ensure the level of your response is similar to the WAV each time you bounce. Also if you're using any compression or limiting on your master bus, be careful about squashing your partner's work.

Looking forward to hearing some duels.
replacer
replacer

Postby StormWolf » 12 Dec 2011 03:52

replacer wrote:A couple other observations - our project got louder and louder as it went along (though I fixed it in the final), so it's probably worth checking to ensure the level of your response is similar to the WAV each time you bounce. Also if you're using any compression or limiting on your master bus, be careful about squashing your partner's work.

Yea, make sure that you and your partner are VERY CAREFUL about compression and volumes and stuff

Also, I just had an awesome idea some of you could try- music with vocals vs music without vocals :D Or a singer/rapper battle or something

BE CREATIVE, PEOPLE, AND EVERYTHING WILL BE AWESOME~
-StormWolf

YouTube | SoundCloud
StormWolf

Postby zorg » 12 Dec 2011 14:40

i think i'm in this too... sort of

Edit: yeah, with artattack, the thing will possibly be an entry for next ziq, though if we're not finished till then, then i guess it won't be an entry :3
Last edited by zorg on 13 Dec 2011 08:06, edited 1 time in total.
^feel free to disregard | genres... what are those? | :3
[collabgeddon] - too much time passed for this
Do feel free to keep in touch through discord: #zorg "eight" "rod" "inverted-E" "four"
zorg

Primary: ILyEAN (v0.0.0.0) [Designing Phase]
Cutie Mark: Usually Invisible

Postby jubian » 12 Dec 2011 22:35

Kudos to replacer for the original idea :) He's pretty much said everything there is to say. I didn't feel it was necessarily the notion of duelling DAWs that made this competition thing cool, but rather the kind of 'ping-pong' format, since it allows the opponent to build on the previous sample in their won original way, making the final result incredibly diverse. For this reason, I think the ping-pong approach is the real way to go.
DJ StablImagefree

Stablefree
Facebook|YouTube|SoundCloud
Activity status: Partial hiatus #3
Tools: FL Studio 10, Massive, Ohmicide
Projects: Art of the Jazz (dying project), Singing Rain OC Tribute (FIRST PRIORITY), dubstep showcase
jubian

Postby StormWolf » 13 Dec 2011 03:51

Righto, I'll have this post as a list and I'll update it when I need to

Participants so far:
StormWolf
mrpickle
Bartekko
KeepOnRockin’
DJ_Spike
Trephrax
Randomblockfilms
zorg

Confirmed Pairs
Aussie & Jackle App

As for my opponent... KeepOnRockin', you wanna pair up with me?

Everyone else, either pick someone on the list or find a friend/rival/waifu/enemy/friendwithbenefits/acquaintance/randomfoundonthestreet to pair up with!!!!!!!

As for when this will start... I'll just say for now, its open to discussion :3
-StormWolf

YouTube | SoundCloud
StormWolf

Postby Pinkie Cake » 13 Dec 2011 09:47

Sing me up for this awesomeness.
Zorgie Worgie? Will you be my duel waifu?
Pinkie Cake

Postby Darktrot » 13 Dec 2011 23:38

Ill take on anyone.
DARKTROT MUSIC FOREVER
Darktrot

Postby Circuitfry » 14 Dec 2011 00:51

It's too complicated, but this'd be a cool Remix War challenge.
Viricide wrote:Thanks Obama. Or should I say Cirbama.

\
Circuitfry

Primary: LMMS
Cutie Mark: {;}

Postby StormWolf » 14 Dec 2011 05:32

Complicated?
I dunno, I kinda just want to do this as some fun thing and kinda to fill up the space between now and whenever the next remix war is. Although if it were to be used in a remix war I think that it would be pretty awesome :D

Also, another topic up for discussion, how long do you think we should set the time limit between the sending of the 16/8/whateveramountof bars? Should we have a set limit (i.e. every x days, finish and send your part over) should we have it as an agreement between different groups? (i.e. one group switches every day, another group switches every 3 days) or should we just wing it, and just keep everything to be decided in between the pairs???
-StormWolf

YouTube | SoundCloud
StormWolf

Postby jubian » 14 Dec 2011 06:29

Circuitfry wrote:It's too complicated

1. Write 16 bars of music, or append 16 bars to the most recent 16 bars
2. Send to opponent
3. Let him complete step 1 and send the appended version back to you
4. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Couldn't be simpler. ;)
DJ StablImagefree

Stablefree
Projects: Art of the Jazz (dying project), Singing Rain OC Tribute (FIRST PRIORITY), dubstep showcase
jubian

Postby jubian » 14 Dec 2011 06:32

StormWolf wrote:Complicated?
I dunno, I kinda just want to do this as some fun thing and kinda to fill up the space between now and whenever the next remix war is. Although if it were to be used in a remix war I think that it would be pretty awesome :D

Also, another topic up for discussion, how long do you think we should set the time limit between the sending of the 16/8/whateveramountof bars? Should we have a set limit (i.e. every x days, finish and send your part over) should we have it as an agreement between different groups? (i.e. one group switches every day, another group switches every 3 days) or should we just wing it, and just keep everything to be decided in between the pairs???

Why the rules and guidelines? It's just more complications! People should decide what rules to set by themselves :)
DJ StablImagefree

Stablefree
jubian

Postby StormWolf » 14 Dec 2011 14:48

jubian wrote:Why the rules and guidelines? It's just more complications! People should decide what rules to set by themselves :)

Yeah that's what I thought would be best, I was just curious if anyone else thought against that idea
-StormWolf

YouTube | SoundCloud
StormWolf

Postby PinkieGuy » 14 Dec 2011 18:00

I'd like to sign up :D
JackleApp wrote:THIS IS A HEINOUS ABUSE OF POWER BUT

YOUR MOD COMMANDS YOU
PinkieGuy

Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby MichaelA » 14 Dec 2011 18:17

PinkieGuy wrote:I'd like to sign up :D

LET'S GO SON. YOU WANNA TAKE ME ON?!?
------------------
My Youtube
^^ Go sub, yo!
MichaelA

Postby PinkieGuy » 14 Dec 2011 22:03

mrpickle wrote:
PinkieGuy wrote:I'd like to sign up :D

LET'S GO SON. YOU WANNA TAKE ME ON?!?

Wow, mike, no need to aggro. It's just a friendly duel remember? That being said...

JackleApp wrote:THIS IS A HEINOUS ABUSE OF POWER BUT

YOUR MOD COMMANDS YOU
PinkieGuy

Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Next

Return to Challenges, Contests, and Events