TrotMania

Current events we're participating in.

TrotMania

Postby Lirodon » 06 Dec 2011 00:11

I'm currently working on and/or starting to work on two particular projects involving StepMania (you know, that music game engine everyone loves?), which I smartly both branded under the blanket title "TrotMania"

First, there's a theme (which I actually, right now, need some artwork ... and menu music help for), and also I've begun to organize a collabrative DDR-style song pack project for it too.

Since this seems to be the primary forum for pony musicians, I'm thinking I might be able to help find somepony or two, or three, or more who could help out. I'm working extra hard on the theme too, because it may end up being one of the StepMania 5 themes that will finally trigger a mass exodus from 3.9 (because well, everypony else uses those 3.9/3.95 forks)

If you have questions, don't be a Fluttershy and be afraid to ask!
Lirodon

Re: TrotMania

Postby X-Trav » 06 Dec 2011 03:27

Usually for first timers I conduct myself is a calm and respectable manner. However...

BUUUUUUUUUUUCK YEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS.

Before I go on, be aware that I use stepmania 5, and have never used 3.9.

So I read the threads, and 50+ songs is quite a goal. I've been stepping tracks recently on my own, and it's quite the effort, especially those mods. Are there quality standards involved in the step files?
You didnt talk about mods, are you using them? Courses?I also noticed you didn't talk about edit levels. All the stepfiles I'm working on have an edit difficulty I name "discord" which I try to make ludicrously hard.

Another concern I have is that there are already a lot of stepfiles involving pony. With an entirely new pack coming out for broNYcon. One of them is already on your list, which is "FLUTTER". Are you aware of these stepfiles?
Long time pianist and mediocrity extraordinaire.

Current Projects:
Manestream media
    EOE003
Call of The Crusaders
Album
X-Trav

Postby Supersaw Hoover » 06 Dec 2011 04:37

Hey so I'm already helping out with this but I'll just poke my head in this thread and say that this is probably going to be the best pony pack yet. I'll be stepping at least one or two files for this and also making something special for it that I'm really excited about.

I'll try to answer some of X-Trav's questions. I would really hope that the simfiles you give are of the highest quality you can produce...keep in mind that (if I'm not mistaken) this is a pad pack and as such the files should be legitimately fun to play on pad, not just on keyboard, and there shouldn't be needless double-stepping. Pitch relevancy and "expressivemanias" are probably a good thing to think about as well, because good simfiles aren't just random notes to a beat, either. They should work with the song as a form of art as well.

Now uh, as far as I know, cmods will be disabled in Trotmania, so gimmick files are in (which I am very happy about). It doesn't sound like there'll be courses but it'd be cool imo, and I think there was something about edit levels but I forget (Lirodon~~~).

Also, really, even if there are some files already, it doesn't hold a candle to the number of times Mendes, Mei, etc. have been stepped. Different files give different experiences, after all! I don't see why one song would cause much of an issue.

I hope I didn't say any incorrect information and Lirodon has permission to slap me if I did.
Supersaw Hoover

Postby Lirodon » 06 Dec 2011 08:34

Edit difficulties:

Yes, I am allowing them

Mod courses:

Actually, I am planning on those. There's a reason why I made Pinkie Pie be the mascot for "Party" mode.
Lirodon

Postby X-Trav » 06 Dec 2011 10:13

I'd love to contribute any of my simfiles when I complete them then. Although I haven't been shorting them...

Current Projects:
Manestream media
    EOE003
Call of The Crusaders
Album
X-Trav

Postby Lirodon » 06 Dec 2011 19:41

X-Trav wrote:I'd love to contribute any of my simfiles when I complete them then. Although I haven't been shorting them...

Yeah. I plan to have only long versions for "special" cases
Lirodon

Postby X-Trav » 06 Dec 2011 20:02

I'm aware of that, hence the ellipsis. I like to play long tracks for some reason, and it just seems rude to cut a song, but oh well I guess.

What would be a "special" case though?

Current Projects:
Manestream media
    EOE003
Call of The Crusaders
Album
X-Trav

Postby Lirodon » 06 Dec 2011 23:28

X-Trav wrote:I'm aware of that, hence the ellipsis. I like to play long tracks for some reason, and it just seems rude to cut a song, but oh well I guess.

What would be a "special" case though?

A. If I allow it
B. It's a song that really can't be cut, should be left alone
Lirodon

Postby Darktrot » 08 Dec 2011 09:48

id like to help.
DARKTROT MUSIC FOREVER
Darktrot

Postby Lirodon » 08 Dec 2011 23:42

Public pre-beta

if getting a feel for how the theme will behave gives you ideas for menu music, then so be it!
Lirodon

Return to Challenges, Contests, and Events