This is the place for off-topic game threads and also video game discussions.

Postby simonli2575 » 31 Mar 2014 12:21

You've probably heard of this game before. What's your high score in this game? How close were you to getting 2048?
http://soundcloud.com/simonli2575
My YouTube channel
Steam profile
Software: FL Studio, Z3ta+2 & Massive
Hardware: Roland 800-Pro and a computer
Genres: Drum 'n' Bass and occasionally Jungle
Genres I want to try out: Dubstep, Breakcore, Hardstyle and Trap
Alycs made my new avatar. \o/
simonli2575

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Why are you staring at my ass

Re: 2048

Postby itroitnyah » 31 Mar 2014 13:47

I can never get past the 512 tile. I've gotten to the point where I'll have a 512, 256 and 128 tile on the board with one or two 64's trying to match, but never a 1024

This thread is going to get merged.

I guarantee it.

Seriously though Fluffy, don't.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby LFP » 31 Mar 2014 16:16

I've gotten it multiple times, it's pretty easy once you figure out a tactic
Spoiler tactic:
Choose a corner> get highest number in corner> never swipe in opposite direction unless you have to> pray you're not extremely unlucky and gets a 2 in the corner spot when you swipe in opposite direction>win ^^
Brony Music Directory
Nine Volt wrote:That feel when 9V will never take you out to dinner 3:
LFP

Cutie Mark: Blank flank4evar

Postby CaptainFluffatun » 31 Mar 2014 19:21

My thing with this game is that I can legitimately TRY and get the 256 tile, but if I just mash buttons I can get higher than that in a microscopic fraction of the time
CaptainFluffatun

Primary: Cubase 5
Cutie Mark: Orchestral

Postby FLAOFEI » 31 Mar 2014 20:17

Got a 512 tile on 2nd try
It was fun
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
https://soundcloud.com/flaofei/brothel-king
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
ImageOMG POLKA PLOT!!! BEST ALBUM IN THE HISTORY OF POLKACORE!!!
FLAOFEI

Primary: Fruit Loops 10
Cutie Mark: POLKA PLOT

Postby Stuntddude » 01 Apr 2014 15:50

Indeed, that's the winning strategy.
Spoiler more tactic:
Try to keep an entire row of your largest numbers in decreasing order from one bottom corner to the other. Never swipe to the side opposite your largest piece unless either the entire bottom row is non-combine-able or you absolutely have to and never, EVER, NEVER SWIPE UP!!!

I so very, very, very nearly got the 4096 block once! I had the 2048, 1024, 512, 256, 128, 64, 32, and two 16 blocks, but at the last moment I locked myself in so I could only swipe up, and that totally fucked me up and I got so angry I basically stopped playing the game after that point. I have proof that this happened, by the way, in case anyone doubts me:
Spoiler proof:

I have to ask, though... has anyone played any of the alternate versions? I spent at least an hour the other day trying to make sense of the four-dimensional (2x2x2x2) version someone made, but eventually gave up. And I'm tempted to try to make my own version since the code is open-source and (from what I saw when I skimmed it) cleanly written.
Notebook Memories, the debut album from yours truly, is currently up on my bandcamp for free. Any feedback, encouragement, hate mail, etc. is highly appreciated! Even just listening is pretty cool of you tbh.
eery wrote:Next gen gaming: Just fucking get a dog.
Stuntddude

Cutie Mark: { }

Postby FLAOFEI » 03 Apr 2014 10:15

It's like chess... you gotta be several steps ahead at all times.
Spoiler Ultimate tactics:
First off, what Stuntddude said. Keep to one side, with your highest numbers all in line. The tricky part is choseing your moves so you can actually plan on where your new blocks are.

In the begining you just gotta stay ahead of the game. Make sure you are never forced to move your biggest piece out of the corner. I usually chose the bottom right corner, so I'll base the explanation off that. Firstly I try to fill the right row as soon as possible, keeping in mind to chose moves that guarantee I have a next move. Filling out the row means you can swipe in one more direction, you can now swipe up without messing up your corner.
To guarantee your next move you have to look at the squares you have and see what moving them will result in. Pairing squares isn't always the best move. If you for example have a 2 you can either pair with another 2 or place next to another 2 I would chose the second option, since then I am safe for another move.

When you have a bit bigger numbers in your row you get to the more fun stuff :ugeek:
Now you should think of your pieces more like a snake, going from your highest piece to the... lower pieces. And just like a real snake, if you mess with it you are dead :I
Just never block lower pieces behind larger pieces, you want a small event horizon where you build the pieces and then more or less a conveyor belt to the biggest piece. And still guarantee your next move! That's a real killer! Your tantrums will be lethal if you realise what you did wrong right after you did it :I

So key points are
Think one or more moves ahead
highest numbers all in line
guarantee your next move
Make sure you are never forced to move your biggest piece out of the corner
fill the right row
never block lower pieces behind larger pieces
guarantee your next move

And that's what I learnt from getting addicted to a puzzle game :3

Also a tip, if you have a block in a middle square that you want to get to a block on the edge, but theres another block blocking your way. Don't bother trying to move it, just build a new one. It's pretty much impossible to move them like that anyway.
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
https://soundcloud.com/flaofei/brothel-king
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
ImageOMG POLKA PLOT!!! BEST ALBUM IN THE HISTORY OF POLKACORE!!!
FLAOFEI

Primary: Fruit Loops 10
Cutie Mark: POLKA PLOT

Postby itroitnyah » 03 Apr 2014 13:58

I actually just got to the 2048 tile today. Now I see people getting the 4096 tile. It will be my goal to get to the 8192 tile.
itroitnyah

Postby Stuntddude » 03 Apr 2014 16:24

In case anyone of you are hardcore interested in truly optimal algorithms, there is a fantastic post on Stack Overflow about it which goes into detail about a few 2048 AIs people have implemented, and how they've done it. Most of the posts also provide video or interactive demonstrations, as well as source code, if you're into that.
Notebook Memories, the debut album from yours truly, is currently up on my bandcamp for free. Any feedback, encouragement, hate mail, etc. is highly appreciated! Even just listening is pretty cool of you tbh.
eery wrote:Next gen gaming: Just fucking get a dog.
Stuntddude

Cutie Mark: { }

Postby itroitnyah » 05 Apr 2014 08:40

Ok, somebody is too good at this.

itroitnyah

Return to Games