Post-Rock Discussion

This isn't a forum for specifically talking about production or posting your own music, but it is a place to talk about the music you are listening to.

Post-Rock Discussion

Postby CaptainFluffatun » 04 Jan 2014 08:29

I'm starting to think that post-rock is my favorite genre to listen to. It's like ambient guitar music. That said, I only know famous bands like Godspeed You! Black Emperor or Explosions in the Sky. While they are fantastic bands (Godspeed has taken the #1 spot on my favorite bands list), I am just curious as to what else is out there. I figured I'd take advantage of this new subforum to ask The People if they know any other good post-rock bands.

I have also heard that, aside from the aforementioned bands, post-rock just kinda became very same-y, like "crescendo-core". If you are a post-rock fan, I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on that statement. If you AREN'T a post-rock fan, then have a listen to the album below. I have decided it is my single favorite album of all time.

F♯A♯∞
CaptainFluffatun

Primary: Cubase 5
Cutie Mark: Orchestral

Re: Post-Rock Discussion

Postby Freewave » 04 Jan 2014 09:55

Here's the list that a friend put together of some essential bands, tracks, albums of Post-Rock.
https://rateyourmusic.com/list/TheParkA ... ost_rock_/
Post-Rock shares some of the characteristics of Progressive Rock for a new generation but with all the wankery and solos gone. Often a lot more stripped down sound obviously. Pink Floyd is a decent example of where some of this came from. Probably more in common with early Krautrock so definitely consider you can find some cool records from Germany in the 70's that were along the same lines.

What I'd recommend checking out:

Talk Talk's - Spirit of Eden & Laughing Stock are considered pretty essential and really starting points from that sound. Not a bad transfromation from a band that started as just a rather good new wave band.

Slint - Spiderland is also considered a classic album and is where Math Rock (with very unusual time signatures) really split off while remaining a part of it still. Drive Like Jehu, Shellac, and Polvo are worth checking out if you go off on that tangent. My favorite of the later era of Math Rock has to be Battles. That's a great bizarre little album.

Definitely give Sigur Ros a try as they have quite the discography and are well regarded from that scene. With the language barrier (a lot of their songs are in foreign language or using the nonsense type of language (made up sounds) that Cocteau Twins (Dream Pop) used to do when they started. To some like me that's real distraction and turn off, its not as big a deal to some people.

You've already mentioned Godspeed You! Black Emperor & Explosions in the Sky and they are definitely at the top of the recommendations list.

Mogwai and Tortoise I'd have to throw in there as well as being exceptional Post-Rock bands.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby ChocolateChicken » 09 Jan 2014 01:25

I got really excited when I saw this thread title and I couldn't wait to be the first to talk about Godspeed You Black Emperor and Explosions in the Sky, but then I read the first post which already mentioned GYBE and Explosions in the Sky, so now I don't have much else to add. Those two are pretty much the only main post-rock bands I know, but post rock has got to be one of my most favorite genres of all time, and Godspeed You Black Emperor is probably my favorite band ever, tied with Pink Floyd. My affections for post-rock and GYBE began when I heard their song "East Hastings" in the zombie classic 28 Days Later, and I'm sure glad to have found them!

Freewave also mentioned Pink Floyd, Mogwai, and Sigur Ros, which are pretty much the only other bands I know that have made or do make post-rock. Sigur Ros in particular make some very awesome and lovely music; Jonsi is an excellent composer. Pink Floyd were always experimental and innovative in the music scene, and their album Meddle was probably one of the first major exposures that post-rock had to the world.

The major characteristics of post-rock include not only very long songs driven by composition and atmosphere, but also music that is mostly instrumental with singing kept to a minimum.

I'm very pleased to see I'm not the only person who's into post-rock! It's so obscure and unheard of for most people.

Are there any musicians in the fandom who make post-rock?
ChocolateChicken

Primary: Logic Pro
Cutie Mark: Blank Flank

Postby CaptainFluffatun » 09 Jan 2014 05:22

ChocolateChicken wrote:My affections for post-rock and GYBE began when I heard their song "East Hastings" in the zombie classic 28 Days Later, and I'm sure glad to have found them!

That is the exact first song I heard and the exact way I heard it holy shit

ChocolateChicken wrote:Are there any musicians in the fandom who make post-rock?

As of right now, I haven't heard any, though I know Seventh_Element is working on some FO:E stuff that will include post-rock, and I have a song or two planned in that genre, though they will not be about the small horse.
CaptainFluffatun

Primary: Cubase 5
Cutie Mark: Orchestral

Postby Freewave » 09 Jan 2014 08:45

I did a post-rock search and while the bottom half seem to be false positives there may be some artists/tracks in here.
Freewave

Postby ganondox » 10 Jan 2014 13:04

Is it okay to talk about Deafheaven here?
ganondox

Primary: Garage Band :P
Cutie Mark: Σ

Postby Freewave » 10 Jan 2014 15:27

ganondox wrote:Is it okay to talk about Deafheaven here?

Deafheaven
Blackgaze, Atmospheric Black Metal

Hmmmm might be reaching into exotic metal area instead....
Freewave

Postby Freewave » 11 Jan 2014 01:03

Cherax has a new ep out that's post-rock http://cheraxdestructor.bandcamp.com/al ... ow-rejoice
Freewave

Postby Navron » 11 Jan 2014 01:42

Some of the post-rock stuff gets a little too experimental for me at times, but if I were to recommend a band that's very much into minimalism, slow build-ups, and ambient guitar, try Jakob.

Jeff Boyle is the frontman/lead guitarist of the band, and to be quite honest, I think he's a god when it comes to sound design. There are times I am absolutely shocked that the sounds coming from some of their songs is his guitar, and not a synthesizer pad.

Here's a couple of my favorite tracks by them:

DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby ganondox » 11 Jan 2014 10:20

Freewave wrote:
ganondox wrote:Is it okay to talk about Deafheaven here?

Deafheaven
Blackgaze, Atmospheric Black Metal

Hmmmm might be reaching into exotic metal area instead....

They are sometimes branded is Post Rock. Anyway, don't listen to much Post Rock, but I think the genre is fine and dandy. Listen to more stuff that is related to the genre than pure Post Rock.
ganondox

Primary: Garage Band :P
Cutie Mark: Σ

Return to Music Discussion