A fangame in need of a LOT of music!

Do you have a project proposal that should involve music? Looking for collaborations? See if the community would like to help you.
Forum rules
Please be respectful towards musicians who are contemplating whether to help you or not.

A fangame in need of a LOT of music!

Postby Moonswirl » 18 Feb 2014 03:48

Wow, it's been ages since I've last been on this site, and it seems to have changed quite a bit...I've even lost my old account, apparently. Nevertheless, onto the point!

I have been working on a project for quite some time, and have recently, FINALLY decided to create a My Little Game Dev topic about it, here:

http://www.mylittlegamedev.com/forums/s ... p?tid=1171

I won't copypaste the whole thing here, because I don't want to make this post TL;DR. Everything you really need to know upfront is there (most likely), so don't skip out on reading it!

I'm in need of composers that can do upbeat, emotional, electronic, orchestral...so and so. It's a massive OST too, an estimated 80 or so tracks.

If you're looking for my previous works so you know what you're getting into, some of it's linked in the MLGD post. I can also show off other things if necessary.

Thanks for your time.
Last edited by Moonswirl on 20 Feb 2014 20:21, edited 2 times in total.
Moonswirl

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Bwarps

Re: A fangame in need of a LOT of music!

Postby Belgerum » 18 Feb 2014 05:30

In all honesty, this looks like it has the potential to be a great project, should you be able to pull together enough people.

I don't necessarily see a deadline or release date listed, though. While it certainly isn't fair to ask for one when you don't have a team fully ready at the moment, it would definitely help if you notified us about how long you plan for the project to go on in general. If this is going to take years to complete, for instance, I might have issues with that.

I mean, I dunno ifyou'd want me on board, but I might be able to lend a hand should you want it.
Belgerum: Musician, organizer of the "Lesser Knowns" albums, and total weirdo.

Youtube - Skype
Belgerum

Primary: Reason 6.5
Cutie Mark: Muthaf***ing Rainbows

Postby Moonswirl » 18 Feb 2014 06:02

Belgerum wrote:In all honesty, this looks like it has the potential to be a great project, should you be able to pull together enough people.

I don't necessarily see a deadline or release date listed, though. While it certainly isn't fair to ask for one when you don't have a team fully ready at the moment, it would definitely help if you notified us about how long you plan for the project to go on in general. If this is going to take years to complete, for instance, I might have issues with that.

I mean, I dunno ifyou'd want me on board, but I might be able to lend a hand should you want it.

I'm definitely not planning on having it done anytime soon, and the latest it should be out is hopefully no later than late 2015. Later.

Anyway, I'll take a look at some of your stuff, see if you've got the "style" necessary!
Moonswirl

Postby Navron » 18 Feb 2014 12:54

Perhaps you could post some example tracks of the type of music you're aiming for? I usually have a pretty heavy and dark sound, but I also do some more atmospheric, trip-hop style tracks which (depending on the listener) can be upbeat, electronic, and musical.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby CaptainFluffatun » 18 Feb 2014 13:25

I can do orchestral stuff if you need it
CaptainFluffatun

Primary: Cubase 5
Cutie Mark: Orchestral

Postby Moonswirl » 18 Feb 2014 16:49

CaptainFluffatun wrote:I can do orchestral stuff if you need it

I remember you, weren't you from that one group on Skype, that one big collaborative thing?
I'm still on your Skype list, actually.
Moonswirl

Postby Moonswirl » 18 Feb 2014 16:57

Navron wrote:Perhaps you could post some example tracks of the type of music you're aiming for? I usually have a pretty heavy and dark sound, but I also do some more atmospheric, trip-hop style tracks which (depending on the listener) can be upbeat, electronic, and musical.

...gamey stuff? Stuff like:

http://youtu.be/BvmXbAob28Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUmmCDyB0EI
https://soundcloud.com/moonswirl/going- ... nt/s-0xKhn (WIP example from the game)

Stuff with melody that isn't generic as hell or dubstep?
Moonswirl

Postby S.P.P » 18 Feb 2014 16:58

I can do electronic and metal stuff. Shoot me a PM if you're interested and I'll un-privatise my soundcloud for ya' and send you some dropbox links.
S.P.P

Primary: FL Studio, Ableton, Pro Tools

Postby ExoBassTix » 19 Feb 2014 05:36

Well you had asked me around half a year ago I believe, and I never really did anything :/
But seeing a little more details to what you plan to create is nice. I didn't do anything yet because I really don't know what to make for this (plus a bit of busy and lazy), and I'd love to make some. I still don't have a clear picture of what I should make, as it's easier if I had a visual, perhaps a plotline of the game or, if it's a game with a loose storyline, some descriptive scenes so I know what would work best.

Just know that I'm still in (sorta) :) I'm interested and even though I always have stuff going on, I'll try and find some time for this.
(Gonna be a damn challenge to live up to "some time"...)
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby Stuntddude » 20 Feb 2014 19:54

100 tracks? If I'm honest, that's more than a little extreme. The most expansive soundtrack I know, the Super Meat Boy OST, doesn't reach 100 tracks even including every last bonus feature - it's only 73, and many of those are under a minute, with a majority being shorter than two minutes. On the contrary, most full game soundtracks are between 5 and 30 tracks long. I've read over this post and the one you linked to, and you don't elaborate on any reason why you'd need even close to that sheer amount of music - pardon my judgment, but are you sure you know what you're doing? Do you have any other large-ish projects under your belt to demonstrate that you're actually capable of pulling this off? I think anyone has good reason to be extremely skeptical of the chances of success of a project with goals as lofty as the ones you've listed, especially someone who's seen as many projects as I have peter out after only the first few assets are finished, even ones with much more achievable goals.
Notebook Memories, the debut album from yours truly, is currently up on my bandcamp for free. Any feedback, encouragement, hate mail, etc. is highly appreciated! Even just listening is pretty cool of you tbh.
eery wrote:Next gen gaming: Just fucking get a dog.
Stuntddude

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: { }

Postby Moonswirl » 20 Feb 2014 20:33

Stuntddude wrote:100 tracks? If I'm honest, that's more than a little extreme. The most expansive soundtrack I know, the Super Meat Boy OST, doesn't reach 100 tracks even including every last bonus feature - it's only 73, and many of those are under a minute, with a majority being shorter than two minutes...

Calm down - I've recently re-counted the list, and it actually amounts to 79, unless I've calculated wrong, but it wouldn't be much higher, nor lower. Moreover, the Paper Mario games have much more music than Super Meat Boy, with most certainly over 100, and if I remember correctly, peaking at around 160. That's a lot of music, so 79 doesn't seem as weighty, does it? It's still quite a bit, but could have been worse. Especially if the day/night and combat sequences had their own unique themes.

And why it needs this much...well, to put it in perspective, have you ever played Mega Man Zero 1? It had a free-roam aspect, where in between missions, you could explore the game's rather large (for a gameboy advance platformer, at least) world.

The same damn boring loop plays the entire time you're doing that.
Imagine this playing for hours and hours as you grind for health, money, lives, and the elusive Cyber Elves...Not fun, is it?

MoonLight also has free roam aspects in between missions. The large soundtrack isn't just there to sound good; it's to make sure that it isn't incredibly boring. Finally, the tracks aren't incredibly long, either. Most will be just under 2 minutes, and loops meant for dialogue are even shorter.
Moonswirl

Postby Moonswirl » 23 Feb 2014 21:27

Can a moderator lock this thread? I don't require any more assistance for music at the moment, and am more focused on other aspects that are weak and in need of more team members.

Thanks to everyone that considered and/or joined in, however.
Moonswirl

Return to Pony Fan Project Recruitment