Requesting a composer for a collab.

Do you have a project proposal that should involve music? Looking for collaborations? See if the community would like to help you.
Forum rules
Please be respectful towards musicians who are contemplating whether to help you or not.

Requesting a composer for a collab.

Postby AussieGriffin » 08 Feb 2014 12:40

Ah, so this is the famous site I hear so much about. ^.^

Well, I'll get straight to the point. I wrote this fan fiction (http://www.fimfiction.net/story/104194/patty-the-pegasus-a-griffons-tale) and I came up with an homage to this song here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL_99jYTV5I). I asked for an audio file from this pegasister here (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfsyTdihl0fA0OMS4M21C4Q) and she sang my lyrics to an utterly different tune.

Now ya see, most folks are put off when they don't hear what they expected, yet I was inspired! I thought that this was just the sort of twist I needed for the score to my fan fiction. ^^ So that's where you guys come in as I need:
() A composer, willing to listen to a person singing and compose music to fit their tune.

I'm willing to offer:
() A $50 $AU fnder's fee if you can dob in one of your mates who's willing to take this job,
() A commission fee for the artist (Negotiable, and I tip for good service.)
() The MP3 that I'll be using as a basis for the tune I wanted. (I can post it on Sound Cloud if you prefer that to an e-mail.)

Please let me know if you want to join my endeavor either by this forum or my e-mail address: [email protected]
A.G.
AussieGriffin

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Re: Requesting a composer for a collab.

Postby CitricAcid » 08 Feb 2014 13:16

This is definitely an interesting request. I don't see too many folks come through here actually offering money. Can you provide any links to the vocalist's past work? Or better yet the MP3 of what she sang? I lack pitch correction software, so if she's not always on pitch, it would be tough to work with.

How long will this song be?
Image Image Image
CitricAcid

Primary: Cubase
Cutie Mark: Music scroll

Postby Conduit » 08 Feb 2014 16:10

I have to say I'm interested.

What kind of backing track are you looking for? You said composer instead of producer so I'm guessing something orchestral based. I would have to hear the vocal track first, but I think this could be fun.
https://soundcloud.com/flatflish/a-warm-past

DAW: Logic 9
Vst's: Absynth, Battery, FM8, Guitar Rig, Kontakt, Massive, Maschine
Real Instruments: Acoustic/Electric Guitar, Cello, Piano

YoutubeSoundcloudTutors ThreadSkype: FlatflishImage
Conduit

Primary: Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: Strings

Postby AussieGriffin » 10 Feb 2014 05:44

Wow, two posts already! : D Still, a few answers:
1) The actual song is about 1:45 in length,
2) I'll send the MP3 by e-mail as I still haven't gotten the vocalist's permission to post it on Soundcloud.
3) Of course I offer money, I expect results... and patience for my hare-brained schemes. >.>
4) Her past work is a little scant, yet here's an example. (It was available by poking around the last link I posted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcuCbz-rWP0

Anyway, send me an e-mail and I'll send the MP3 to you for you to listen it. (It's not much to look at. o.-)
A.G.
AussieGriffin

Postby Conduit » 10 Feb 2014 20:41

You didn't really answer my question. What style / genre are you looking for here?

Also, is the actual mp3 recorded better then that one you sent. I'm afraid nobodies going to be able to work with vocals if the singer is walking around the room, and she doesn't stay with a constant tempo. I didn't listen carefully enough to tell if she was staying in key, but that's pretty essential to creating a backing track.
https://soundcloud.com/flatflish/a-warm-past

DAW: Logic 9
Vst's: Absynth, Battery, FM8, Guitar Rig, Kontakt, Massive, Maschine
Real Instruments: Acoustic/Electric Guitar, Cello, Piano

YoutubeSoundcloudTutors ThreadSkype: FlatflishImage
Conduit

Primary: Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: Strings

Postby AussieGriffin » 11 Feb 2014 06:34

WAH! Soz Conduit, I didn't mean to be vauge, I just missed that one question when I was summing up things. (To be truthful I was shocked I got any response at all. o.O
Now the other answers:
1) Here's the link for the song! It starts at about 42 seconds in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDScfYJa3I4
2) The style... while I've never been much for genres I suppose this would be somewhere between a pop and musical theater ballad. More like 1000 miles by Vanessa Carlton in that her voice and singing style would suit a piano accompaniment.

Anyway, I hope that answers your question, and if not blame my upbringing where I was turned off the idea of genre's as I found it limited truly creative acts like Gerling and TISM.
A.G.
AussieGriffin

Postby ElvenPegasister » 16 Feb 2014 23:39

Cugino, why didn't you ask me in the first place?

First of all, find out if your singer wrote a score of that melody. If she did, it's that much less work for me. If not, I'll play with it on flute until I match it as best I can, and send her the midi so she can check it.

Second, there being no chords to go with the melody, that will be the most tentative part of the work. Again I'd be sending midis to your singer to ask if what I put down fits with the song in her head.

Then proper accompaniment lines are just a matter of working at it. You've heard my stuff before and I think this will take a similar tone to Galadriel's Lament. Do you have an idea of what instrumentation you want? If not, I'll make something up based on what I think will support the lyrics and melody.
ElvenPegasister

Cutie Mark: Scroll of music score

The score she used.

Postby AussieGriffin » 28 Feb 2014 17:55

After referring her to this thread and asking my vocalist, Nicole, what music or score she based her harmony off, I received a response! I shall now transmit it verbatim:

"i just kinda sang out of my head"

That's the whole message and point of me asking for help. I don't have sheet music, and neither does she. I'm not a composer and I can't read sheet music. Both she and I sing, yet we do so by ear and that's where I need someone to meet me half to three quarters of the way there.
Anyway I hope this has clarified what I do and don't have: Capital, lyrics (Me) a singer and a melody (Nicole McDowell) and hope. (Everyone) If that's not enough then *Shrug* What more do you want?
A.G.
AussieGriffin

Postby ElvenPegasister » 04 Mar 2014 08:20

OK, then I'll work from the video and transcribe the melody, and get back to you. Hoping I still have time around a new job - but I'll make time somehow.
ElvenPegasister

Cutie Mark: Scroll of music score

Return to Pony Fan Project Recruitment