EQing orchestral tracks?

Sample Packs? VSTs? DAWs? EQ? What DOES the knee on the Compressor do? All computer-related music making topics belong here!

EQing orchestral tracks?

Postby Lying Pink » 22 May 2013 13:50

The fact that I'm posting about EQing orchestral tracks the week before submitting an orchestral track to R&R is coincidence. Stop overthinking things.

So yeah, I've got a fairly large (around 70 instrument tracks) orchestral track that's finished except for EQing and polishing. My strategy at the moment is EQing it instrument section by instrument section, low instruments to high. So, make sure the cello and the double bass tracks sound good together, then the rest of the strings, then mute the strings and work on the brass in a similar way, then winds, tuned percs then untuned, then I plan on fitting it all together at the end, followed by tweaking the dynamics and doing any last bits of polishing. (Luckily there doesn't seem to be a terrible amount of EQing to do, there's room for improvement but it doesn't sound actively bad or overly muddy).
My question is, would anyone recommend a different strategy here? Something that you think would get better results or get the same job done more efficiently?
Fnord.
Soundcloud | Tumblr | Skype | YouTube | Email
/)__~
</</
Lying Pink

Primary: Reaper
Cutie Mark: Knees

Re: EQing orchestral tracks?

Postby itroitnyah » 22 May 2013 14:12

high pass the low end off of everything to the point where it isn't modifying the sound of the instrument. I don't know why, but it helps. I suppose if I have a better sound system I'd be able to get a better understanding of why it helps, but that's what I've seen plenty of really good people do. Then take a small EQ peak and boost up the main region of an instrument by about +2dB, and lower a small region around the main region by -2dB to make room for the other instruments that are different but inihibit somewhere around the same region. It'll clear up some room in the mix. Also, pan the instruments as a real orchestra would be set up. Image Just don't pan anything 100%, as the sound from a cello on the far end would still be heard by the left ear, just not as much. Maybe take a listen to well made orchestral music to try and listen for panning and spreading?
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Raddons » 22 May 2013 14:13

It's to my knowledge that you shouldn't have to EQ them unless they're in a setting with other instruments such as synthesized ones. Lav is the one to really answer this though, and I'm sure she'll chime in!
Raddons

Primary: Not yet specified.

Postby Lying Pink » 22 May 2013 14:31

itroitnyah wrote:awesome advice

*nods* I've been cutting some low-end from the non-bass instruments (been using low shelves rather than hi-passes), but I'll see how it sounds if I cut some more. I used to always end up with really muddy low-mids in my tracks (and still do a bit) so that's something I try to be careful about now. From what you've said I've maybe been a bit overzealous with my boosting/cutting in some places, which has made things a little artificial-sounding, so I'll sort that out too.
And thanks so much for the image. I've been a bit arbitrary with my panning; I'll have a go based on the image and see how it sounds. Either way, I've saved that picture for future reference. Thanks a lot for the advice!
Raddons wrote:It's to my knowledge that you shouldn't have to EQ them unless they're in a setting with other instruments such as synthesized ones
That kind of makes sense. I'm trying not to be too OTT with my EQing. I'm more adding a little more twilight sparkle/polish and making sure all the tracks get along well with each other than fundamentally changing the sound, but I'll definitely be cautious. Thanks a lot!
Raddons wrote:Lav is the one to really answer this though, and I'm sure she'll chime in!
Oh that'd be cool. Lav knows many many things. Although as far as I can tell, she's pretty busy at the moment doing Lavender things, providing feedback to R&R entrants who were organised enough to get their tracks in before the original deadline, etc. But hey, who knows? :P
Fnord.
Soundcloud | Tumblr | Skype | YouTube | Email
/)__~
</</
Lying Pink

Primary: Reaper
Cutie Mark: Knees

Postby the4thImpulse » 22 May 2013 14:36

I personally would use a very minimal approach to EQing orchestral music if you are going for a very natural, live like sound. I would focus more on tweaking the input sound (the samplers controls, in the real world it would be mics and placement) and then the volume/pan mix.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8

Return to Resources, Software, and Mixing Advice