Share Bass Resampling Techniques Here!

Sample Packs? VSTs? DAWs? EQ? What DOES the knee on the Compressor do? All computer-related music making topics belong here!

Share Bass Resampling Techniques Here!

Postby reach » 10 Feb 2013 00:27

Lets see what the amazing mylittleremix has for us, i have a few techniques ill give you guys in the coming weeks if this thread goes somewhere but for now lets see what you pony's have.
reach

Re: Share Bass Resampling Techniques Here!

Postby XXDarkShadow79XX » 10 Feb 2013 07:04

Well, if you grab yourself the plugin YSD Delay and put it on a kick after distorting the living HELL out of it, (I used Vocodex, Camelcrusher, a bitcrusher, Driv32, 7 Inch Nails, and Driver) you can get this: (loud alert)

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/x41tqwuqdle4xb ... 20Kick.wav

OK, so you'd never use it like that, unless you plan on not using drums or any other synths, so I EQ'd the living hell out of it and turned the volume wayyy down. It lost a lot of it's power but

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/7iakz0qi3o0bkh ... VOLUME.wav

I'd say it's still dang cool. From here I could resample part of the waveform in a plugin like Sytrus, or I could resample it again and then figure out a way to modulate it.

It's an interesting technique and I'll continue to experiment with more and less distortion prior to the YSD Delay.

EDIT: Oh derp, I forgot to say that the YSD Delay is on the Molten Cup preset.
XXDarkShadow79XX

Primary: FL

Postby itroitnyah » 10 Feb 2013 07:15

Take the plugin BooBass, and just start with a regular bass guitar-ish sound or something. Then add on Hardcore, CamelCrusher, other various distortion effects to make it nice and gritty, or just good sounding in general, and then open up Edison, record just a regular C5 note of that bass into edison and then put the sample into Sytrus or some other synth/sampler. Mess with it from there.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby XXDarkShadow79XX » 10 Feb 2013 07:58

itroitnyah wrote:Take the plugin BooBass, and just start with a regular bass guitar-ish sound or something. Then add on Hardcore, CamelCrusher, other various distortion effects to make it nice and gritty, or just good sounding in general, and then open up Edison, record just a regular C5 note of that bass into edison and then put the sample into Sytrus or some other synth/sampler. Mess with it from there.

Hah! Just watched a tutorial on that. That's why I put that "resample into Sytrus" part in there.
XXDarkShadow79XX

Postby itroitnyah » 10 Feb 2013 08:20

Yeah, and there are other synths that will doing sampling as well.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Postby FLAOFEI » 10 Feb 2013 10:03

Step 1
Record something or find some scary distorted amazing sound in some other way
Step 2 (optional)
Lowpas filter
Step 3
Loop 1 or 2 waves (i use edison to set loop points, but it can be done in most samplers i think)
Step 4
Find and set the middle note. Just play it alongside a low C sinewave and transpose until its not detuned. You can then change in edison where the middle note is (it can do it automaticly, but then its usually wrong)
Step 5
?????????
Step 6
Profit

Heres one of my favs. Load it in to a sampler channel if your in FL, then reset the "Time" knob to 0 and select "Use loop points". If your not useing FL, good luck, I dont know how your program works.
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/ts4juvgzvnu4k43/Painbow%20factory%201%20looped.wav?token_hash=AAHkBwWxI1IQ1_QqBY35MlyPQAvsOaTh0UJ-eTKCKJkyvQ&dl=1

And there you have it, a horibly violent base. You probably want to do the usual stuff with it, reverb, eq, distortion, that stuff, ya know.

And heres a litle something useing just that raw bass without even any filters on it.
https://soundcloud.com/flaofei/i-will-break-your-core
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
https://soundcloud.com/flaofei/brothel-king
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
ImageOMG POLKA PLOT!!! BEST ALBUM IN THE HISTORY OF POLKACORE!!!
FLAOFEI

Primary: Fruit Loops 10
Cutie Mark: POLKA PLOT

Postby Ptepix » 10 Feb 2013 10:38

Not sure if you mean creating bass synthetically or analog. Cause I only know how to create it synthetically XD
What is love?!
Ptepix

Postby reach » 10 Feb 2013 15:51

I never knew you could resample into sytrus cool stuff man.
reach

Postby Friv » 10 Feb 2013 16:19

I've seen this video everywhere when someone asks for resampling techniques so I might as well put it here
Well I'm pretty much done with this site (it wasn't about the April Fool's joke I actually loved that). If for some reason somebody wants to contact me or something (not like any of you even care lol):
email: [email protected]
Friv

Postby reach » 11 Feb 2013 15:43

Friv I think that is the most amazing video ive ever watched.
reach

Postby Alycs » 11 Feb 2013 21:14

That video changed my life today
Soundcloud||Tumblr||Youtube||Graphics||Bandcamp
Freewave wrote:being too critical can make you too critical
Alycs

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Postby cplbradley » 12 Feb 2013 10:33

I don't usually resample cause I never see the point to it
Honorary Member of the Yoy and Whistle Club
https://soundcloud.com/cplbradley/perfectly-natural
cplbradley

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Distorted Fart Noises

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 13 Feb 2013 20:40

cplbradley wrote:I don't usually resample cause I never see the point to it

I've never done it, I might try it one day. But most of the time it'd just wreck the sound I'm going for.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 14 Feb 2013 05:31

I personally really want to try it, but as others have said, I don't quite get it. With the batbots and manifold video, thats less "resampling" and more, well, just sampling, sound design through acoustic means rather than synthesis. From what i've read, resampling is taking a piece of audio, and bouncing in place, exporting a synth into audio, and doing that repeatedly. Doing that while processing may bring interesting results, especially when exporting into different file format settings, and adding different processing inbetween renders, it just seems... Kind of arbitrary and pointless for the most part, my results are rarely usable.

I can imagine if you have decent outbound gear, such as an analog desk or a moog, that sampling a bassline through that, overdriving the signal to add warmth and soft clipping would sound nice, and that makes sense. I just feel as if I'm missing something here, heh. Anyone fill me in where I've gone wrong?
Lavender_Harmony

Primary: Not yet specified.

Postby XXDarkShadow79XX » 14 Feb 2013 05:35

Lavender_Harmony wrote:I personally really want to try it, but as others have said, I don't quite get it. With the batbots and manifold video, thats less "resampling" and more, well, just sampling, sound design through acoustic means rather than synthesis. From what i've read, resampling is taking a piece of audio, and bouncing in place, exporting a synth into audio, and doing that repeatedly. Doing that while processing may bring interesting results, especially when exporting into different file format settings, and adding different processing inbetween renders, it just seems... Kind of arbitrary and pointless for the most part, my results are rarely usable.

I can imagine if you have decent outbound gear, such as an analog desk or a moog, that sampling a bassline through that, overdriving the signal to add warmth and soft clipping would sound nice, and that makes sense. I just feel as if I'm missing something here, heh. Anyone fill me in where I've gone wrong?

It doesn't look like you're really doing anything "wrong". Resampling is just really, really different from normal synthesis, that's all. It's tough to get a perfectly usable sound. But when you do, oh boy is it awesome.
XXDarkShadow79XX

Postby Friv » 17 Feb 2013 17:16

Well this bass
https://soundcloud.com/allons-y/superneuro
https://soundcloud.com/allons-y/neuro-bass-solod
is basically just a reese that i sampled six times over with different qualities and added a ton of distorion. Then I just added a filter, and easy neurofunk bass.
Well I'm pretty much done with this site (it wasn't about the April Fool's joke I actually loved that). If for some reason somebody wants to contact me or something (not like any of you even care lol):
Friv

Postby Sonarch » 17 Feb 2013 17:44

I'm not really sure I understand exactly what resampling is. Can someone explain?
My goal is to be capable of making any kind of music that strikes my fancy, and do it well.
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Postby Friv » 17 Feb 2013 18:11

Sonarch wrote:I'm not really sure I understand exactly what resampling is. Can someone explain?

It's basically recording a sample of the sound you are using and applying effects to it.
(Rinse and repeat many many times over.)
It's usually a very time consuming process, but the results can be really great.
Friv

Postby Sonarch » 17 Feb 2013 20:41

So, does it have any sort of tone to it? Or is it just about getting some gritty oscillations and applying layers of effects to them?
My goal is to be capable of making any kind of music that strikes my fancy, and do it well.
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Postby Nine Volt » 18 Feb 2013 14:15

So what exactly is the point of resampling anyway? My neuro reeses sound just fine without resampling, I don't see why you'd need to resample if it's just effects processing.
Nine Volt

Postby XXDarkShadow79XX » 18 Feb 2013 15:40

Nine Volt wrote:So what exactly is the point of resampling anyway? My neuro reeses sound just fine without resampling, I don't see why you'd need to resample if it's just effects processing.

Do you want them to sound fine, or EPIC? You resample when you run out of room in the FX chain I think, and it also makes modulation easier.
XXDarkShadow79XX

Postby Nine Volt » 18 Feb 2013 15:44

Running out of room on the FX chain isn't a problem I have to deal with (Reason doesn't work like that, you can have as many FX units or instruments in a single channel as you'd like). As for modulation, why would it be easier? Just automate the parameters you want to automate, or assign multiple parameters to a single knob or button if you want to.
Nine Volt

Postby Random111223 » 21 Feb 2013 16:39

I think you guys missed the point of resampling. If you're resampling like a baws and adding shittons of automation and FX chains, it's eventually gonna stress your CPU if you won't bounce it to audio. Also it's alot cleaner to have a single wave instead of a huge mess of automation clips etc.
Random111223

Postby Friv » 21 Feb 2013 18:22

Random111223 wrote:I think you guys missed the point of resampling. If you're resampling like a baws and adding shittons of automation and FX chains, it's eventually gonna stress your CPU if you won't bounce it to audio. Also it's alot cleaner to have a single wave instead of a huge mess of automation clips etc.

That's why you bounce to audio when you resample.. the name resampling means you're sampling all the automation and effects as audio over and over again.
Friv

Return to Resources, Software, and Mixing Advice