Anyone got any tips on an Alex S. style growl?

Sample Packs? VSTs? DAWs? EQ? What DOES the knee on the Compressor do? All computer-related music making topics belong here!

Re: Anyone got any tips on an Alex S. style growl?

Postby XXDarkShadow79XX » 24 Nov 2012 21:25

I'm practically slamming my face across the keyboard. I didn't join a damn music technique forum for nothing. Kyoga, you've had plenty of posts that were very helpful. I didn't know what a freaking cloud synth was until you told me. However, we need to all remember that we aren't handing each other the answers, we're TEACHING each other. There's a difference. Still, the accusation Foxtrot made was uncalled for. As for the whole "sharing your secrets" thing, it's completely understandable that an artist of that level wouldn't want to give away their secrets. However, at that level, there's really nothing to lose by sharing your techniques. You'll just help out some new artists and become even more well liked.

I don't really know what I'm saying. IMO, this thread should probably be locked; the information is already here, and it's derailed. Hard.

/ventwithoutthinking
XXDarkShadow79XX

Primary: FL

Postby CaptainFluffatun » 24 Nov 2012 21:27

Kyoga wrote:And fluff. We're all human! everyone has the same capabilities

I disagree, philosophically. It is my philosophy that every human is, at minimum, slightly different, and therefor everyone has a different natural aptitude for certain things.

But that's not to say those with less of a natural aptitude can't learn, which is where I fall back into the line of agreeing with you.

LEARN DA CONCEPTS, Y'ALL
CaptainFluffatun

Primary: Cubase 5
Cutie Mark: Orchestral

Postby Sonarch » 24 Nov 2012 21:48

Dammit, I still need to finish reading the manual that comes with Massive so I know what the hell all those knobs do. I still need to do a lot of things, but i'm in the middle of probably my most stressful year of high school, what with college and SAT prep and AP classes, yada-yada.

Something for those of you who want to know how to do things; ask people where/how they learned how to do it! Getting directed to a tutorial video or a thread on MLR enables you to learn things the same way they did. Right?
My goal is to be capable of making any kind of music that strikes my fancy, and do it well.
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Primary: FL Studio

Postby Foxtrot89 » 25 Nov 2012 15:36

Kyoga wrote:
Foxtrot89 wrote:Kyoga, you are by far the least helpful person ever. lol. Everything I see you type goes along the lines of "do it/figure it out yourself."

Shit, I guess we shouldn't have gone to school to have people tell us how to do things. Every man for themselves! Nobody gets help from anyone.

I don't come to this site very often, but damn it all if lavender isn't the only consistently helpful person around here. Why even visit the technique section if people sharing their technique bums you out that much?

It doesn't burn me out, but I see people completely and entirely devoid of the will and want to go out and learn things themselves. Just because I didn't give you the rundown of "turn this knob to 3 o' clock and pick this filter thingymajig doesn't mean that the advice is any less sound.
Like Lavender said: It's kind of like learning the physics to how a rainbow works.

I (and lav probably could too) could teach ANYONE how to turn the knobs to make dub step happen, but by doing that I'm not teaching you WHY to turn the knobs. I'm not teaching you what it does or how this works, which means when you want to make something else, you're not going to know shit about how it works and you're not going to know shit about what in the world you can do to mix the waves together to get something beautiful.

If you're going to be rectally decimated because I didn't tell you how to sound like Alex S. then the only thing I can tell you is that you don't have the personality or the will to go out and become a great artist. The best artists in the world went and learned these things ON THEIR OWN. If you're going to be dependent on Lav and the mods here to supply you with sounds that you can use to (essentially) copy what other artists have been doing, then you're not an artist. You're a copy machine who's trying to rebuild what Alex is doing and present it as your own.

If me saying "learn how to do it yourself" doesn't make a clear enough message for you, then you're beyond saving and you're never going to improve. Learn HOW the sounds work, then you can make these without a moment's thought. If you're still not ambitious enough to try, then you can keep trying to get the community to bottle-feed it to you.

You already know how well that's working.

I totally get what your saying and I can't help but feel you have the wrong impression of me. I generally do my own sound design. There's a difference between hearing a sound and then asking someone else to make it for you and trying for a long ass time and coming up short then asking for help. The point I'm making is that a guy asked what technique someone used in the technique forum. "Do it yourself" isn't helpful, it doesn't give a jump off point and it doesn't really belong in the technique section. You give a tutorial like lav did to a smart ass piss poor producer, they'll write boring tunes not worth mentioning. And not to sound full of myself, as I have loads to learn, but if you give the tutorial to me, I'll fidget around. I'll try to see why what was done was done. Most of it I was familiar with already, but I did learn a little from it. I don't blindly follow, I like to see what does what. Really, what's your purpose in the technique forum if you're just going to be a smug elitist?

Edit: darkshadow, I made the "accusation" because this is the third or fourth thread I've seen Kyoga say something along the lines of "it doesn't mean shit if you didn't create 100% everything from scratch from knowledge you learned with zero help whatsoever." It's a tad irritating to see someone on such a high post on a flippin' pony forum. I like Kyoga and their work. I just don't like the "everyone for themselves" attitude within a community that should be extra helpful.
Last edited by Foxtrot89 on 25 Nov 2012 15:47, edited 1 time in total.
Foxtrot89

Postby Nine Volt » 25 Nov 2012 15:40

guys. srs.
Nine Volt

Postby Sonarch » 25 Nov 2012 15:55

fo realz
My goal is to be capable of making any kind of music that strikes my fancy, and do it well.
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Primary: FL Studio

Postby Nine Volt » 25 Nov 2012 15:57

erbdy stahp
stahp fiting
is bad
Nine Volt

Postby Foxtrot89 » 25 Nov 2012 16:46

Stop it penis breath! <== perhaps the best quote ever.
Foxtrot89

Postby CaptainFluffatun » 25 Nov 2012 16:51

CaptainFluffatun

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 25 Nov 2012 19:42

Ok I think this thread has served its purpose, and some.
Lavender_Harmony

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 27 Nov 2012 00:39

Changed my mind. Reopened.
Lavender_Harmony

Postby CaptainFluffatun » 27 Nov 2012 01:13

In that case, let's please keep any future discussion coherent and civil.
CaptainFluffatun

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 27 Nov 2012 01:19

Tell that to Alex.
Lavender_Harmony

Postby CDPP » 27 Nov 2012 05:22

And which Alex would that be..? I'm pretty sure he didn't derail the thread.
CDPP

Postby itroitnyah » 27 Nov 2012 15:38

Why was this thread reopened? :P seems a bit out-of-the-blue. Did Alex convince you to change your mind, Lav?
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 27 Nov 2012 16:28

No, I decided to temp lock it, since another discussion popped up, people are still talking about it.

Also I have a little bit of info, I found a way to get a little closer to the sound. If you put a low pass in filter 1 then the double notch in filter 2 instead of the other way around, you get much more control over the amount of 'wah' the sound has by controlling the resonance on filter 2, the Double Notch.

This is about as close as I can get. I could probably get closer with Wow FIlter I guess.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/543014/Mediocr ... 0Belle.mp3

Excuse the poor timing and terrible mixing, I honestly can't be bothered putting effort into it aside from the sound design.

I got bored and worked on it, just click the same link.
Lavender_Harmony

Postby TheSixor » 28 Nov 2012 21:19

Ruka wrote:I don't quite see why you would need that growl though. Not that it isn't amazing, but part of making your own music is originality. And you could make something with the exact same amount of awesome yourself :3

I don't want to copy his style, I just want that sound or something similar to that to use it in my own style. Thanks for the tips, everyone!
TheSixor

Postby Mondogreen » 01 Dec 2012 18:57

Lav, you nailed it!
New track in the works!!

DAW: Sony Acid Pro 6
VSTi: NI Massive 1.3
Plugins: Not many

You don't need a cabinet full of cleaners to make a sick track

https://soundcloud.com/djmon/2-pac-changes-mondogreens-work
Mondogreen

Postby Foxtrot89 » 01 Dec 2012 20:08

That sure is a sexy sound. Gonna give it another go just for fun. Thanks again Lav for being such a wonderful help.
Foxtrot89

Postby ajbiz11 » 17 Mar 2013 16:20

Lavender_Harmony wrote:'ermahgehrd

Just lost most of my respect for you...sorry Hun...
https://soundcloud.com/pixelperfectpon3
DAW: FL 11 & Ableton Live 9
Genre: Whatever I feel like!
ajbiz11

Primary: EDM
Cutie Mark: Absolutely Nothing!

Postby itroitnyah » 17 Mar 2013 17:24

Ummm, I'm pretty certain that Lav doesn't hang on every subscriber or fan he has, so he isn't all that concerned if somebody decides that they've lost "respect" for Lav.

Also, this is a pretty old necro.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Postby Makkon » 17 Mar 2013 22:06

ajbiz11: stop necroing old threads for asinine reasons! If you had a question on this topic that wasn't answered that would be fine, but this is ridiculous. Knock it off or you'll receive an official warning.

Locked.
youtube | deviantart | tumblr

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 18 Mar 2013 04:57

Wow you brought an age old thread back just to hate on me... For saying "ermahgerd".

Whatever. Seriously.
Lavender_Harmony

Previous

Return to Resources, Software, and Mixing Advice