Getting Started with Singing!

Want to know more about cables and adapters? Is DJing the right way to go? Which violins go well with your guitar? It's time to find out!

Re: Getting Started with Singing!

Postby itroitnyah » 12 Mar 2014 15:15

electro-blitz wrote:I need feedback /summary

Alright, I think that you biggest problem with singing is that you aren't properly "shaping the inside of your mouth", or I think that can be simplified to, you aren't using your soft pallet and tongue correctly. It's hard to explain, but when you sing, it sounds nasally because the tongue is high in the mouth and the nose muscles are tight. Here is an example of what I mean. Just singing the first two words from the song, the first go is my attempt to replicate or more nasal sound, and my second attempt is a non-nasal (I recorded them in one go, so they aren't perfect examples). Howcast actually has a video on the singing style and how to fix it right here. A few other things I noticed when taking a listen is that some of the notes you're singing a bit on the flat side, and the pitch seems to drop a bit as notes drag on and end. Other small things include starting up, sometimes the starts have the signature pitch wobble of trying to find the note, and some higher notes you seem to struggle at reaching (you must sing a low bass?). You may also want to practice making the singing sound interesting, because especially on long notes it occasionally sounds like you're just waiting for the note to be done. But, I'm assuming that this recording was done in one take?
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby electro-blitz » 12 Mar 2014 18:21

i assume its mostly the fault of having a different dialect / accent.
English isn't my first language, so i kinda thinking on that road..
"I'm a pegasus full of right, defending friends is my pride, defending ponies is my goal, without the fear that i would end up cold." E-BLITZ
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
My Youtube
My Soundcloud
My Deviantart
electro-blitz

Cutie Mark: Singing

Postby itroitnyah » 12 Mar 2014 18:42

Aaah, alright. I suppose that would partially explain it as well. I'm not a linguist, but I do know that there are a few languages that are very nasally in nature. As the nasal sound correction video I linked to suggests, there are some people who like a more nasal sound, so if that's you, then it's not a problem.
itroitnyah

Postby electro-blitz » 15 Mar 2014 16:03

So yea, im dutch so im not sure you can note that as a nasal language lol
What is the best thing i can do if i want to find people in the brony community to work with?

i mean, im doing covers of songs, but at this point, everyone is asking me to release something original, and i kinda fully agree on that, the only problem i have with that, if that im not sure were to look yet..

i might have 12 years of singing experience, but that aint mean i have connection.

Let me know, if possible /)
"I'm a pegasus full of right, defending friends is my pride, defending ponies is my goal, without the fear that i would end up cold." E-BLITZ
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
My Youtube
My Soundcloud
My Deviantart
electro-blitz

Postby itroitnyah » 15 Mar 2014 22:00

Well, there used to be a vocalist list thread, but then the person running that show decided to bounce so that's gone, but if you're good at composing your own stuff you could do that.
itroitnyah

Postby electro-blitz » 16 Mar 2014 11:30

Well im good at singing, unfortunately not with making music, or playing a instrument.
I rather want to stick to one thing and master it, and then maybe start learning to make my own instrumentals to sing to.

Until then, im looking for collaborations to gain experience and stuff, thats why im asking :)
Also not really a forum person..
My Youtube
My Soundcloud
My Deviantart
electro-blitz

Postby HoztileManikyn » 04 Nov 2014 19:55

If I may add one thing, a nice cup of herbal tea with honey will defiantly help as well, it works for me.
It soothes the throat, and helps you relax.
At First I was like (C:) , but then I was like (D:)
https://www.soundcloud.com/hoztil

Follow me on Twitter @HoztileManikyn
Email: [email protected]
HoztileManikyn

Primary: FL Studio, Audacity
Cutie Mark: Three radial bass clefs

Previous

Return to Hardware/Tracking/Performance Advice