Hardware Synth Discussion

Want to know more about cables and adapters? Is DJing the right way to go? Which violins go well with your guitar? It's time to find out!

Re: Hardware Synth Discussion

Postby Acsii » 10 Sep 2013 23:46

I know but still... Also I never noticed but they have also discontinued the Old School voyager :/
20 something Transgirl that makes sounds called music
Soundcloud | Facebook | Bandcamp | Blog
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Old round oscilloscope

Postby Acsii » 11 Sep 2013 04:24

On a side note I'm probably gonna skip the mixer for now and get a DSI Mopho X4 I mean the thing is so bad ass
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 11 Sep 2013 04:31

Acsii wrote:On a side note I'm probably gonna skip the mixer for now and get a DSI Mopho X4 I mean the thing is so bad ass

I'm hoping that'll be my next big investment ^^
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby Acsii » 11 Sep 2013 04:41

If I had the money (or had the hope of getting the money soon) I would get the prophet twelve :3
Acsii

Postby the4thImpulse » 29 Sep 2013 00:49

After watching this video the telemark has definitely rose as a contender for my next synth purchase. The operator in the video certainly knows how to make a good arrangement and sound.

Soonest I see myself making a big purchase like this is spring next year so I've got quite a lot of time to look around drool over these awesome toys. (A more metaphorical drool though, I wouldn't ever droll on a synth, ew).
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Acsii » 29 Sep 2013 04:16

AS make amazing synths and modules I was actually looking at the telemark once but decided against it because I was going with a "HOLY CRAP THAT'S A LOT OF MODULATION MODULES" thing... but hey might get one sometime
Acsii

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 01 Oct 2013 01:58

https://soundcloud.com/testsubject72/milestone-i-got-my-minibrute

I got my minibrute to record into Edison in FL. My step dad gave me a spare audio interface to work with and it's all excellent :3
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Postby Acsii » 01 Oct 2013 02:06

Mr. Bigglesworth wrote: https://soundcloud.com/testsubject72/milestone-i-got-my-minibrute

I got my minibrute to record into Edison in FL. My step dad gave me a spare audio interface to work with and it's all excellent :3

finally
Acsii

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 01 Oct 2013 02:21

Acsii wrote:
Mr. Bigglesworth wrote: https://soundcloud.com/testsubject72/milestone-i-got-my-minibrute

finally

ikr?

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 01 Oct 2013 04:09

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Postby simonli2575 » 01 Oct 2013 05:47

Hey Acsii, what about the synth you said you were working on?
http://soundcloud.com/simonli2575
My YouTube channel
Steam profile
Software: FL Studio, Z3ta+2 & Massive
Hardware: Roland 800-Pro and a computer
Genres: Drum 'n' Bass and occasionally Jungle
Genres I want to try out: Dubstep, Breakcore, Hardstyle and Trap
Alycs made my new avatar. \o/
simonli2575

Cutie Mark: Why are you staring at my ass

Postby Acsii » 01 Oct 2013 05:49

Yea it's happening... just gotta get around to getting some more components and finding the time to solder it... I'm currently studying for finals so when they're done I'll get it built and get it going :)
Acsii

Postby Ocular » 04 Oct 2013 12:36

I never ended up getting a synth. My parents think they're a waste of money and won't let me buy one. :c
inactive
Ocular

Postby the4thImpulse » 08 Oct 2013 20:51

TheOcularInvisible wrote:I never ended up getting a synth. My parents think they're a waste of money and won't let me buy one. :c

Slowly keep mentioning it in family conversations around dinner tables and ect.. Don't talk about it all the time, start out once a week something quick about a new synth. Show them your music, show them what other people have done with hardware synths, show them shy is not a waste of money.

My parents had a bad experience with 'paintball' when the next door neighbor (who at the time was ~17 years of age) was target shooting his trailer in the backyard. I was young at the time, the sound scared my younger sister my parents hated it. A few years later I told my parents all my friends were buying paintball guns to shoot each other with in the mountains of Canada. Of course they wouldn't initially let me have one but over a few months I showed them what it was all about and sure enough they caved in.

Be patient and show them its not something you will brush off after a year.
the4thImpulse

Postby the4thImpulse » 14 Oct 2013 19:08

I have decided to start venturing into modular synths, for real. I am starting to purchase used modules to get me started and I am working on a cabinet design that I will soon put together. I probably won't even have a complete voice until early new 2014 but slowly and surely it will be pieced together!

I am leaning towards a design like this one, made out of solid wood (type of TBD).

I am starting out with dotcom stuff. I will keep y'all posted.
the4thImpulse

Postby Facade » 14 Oct 2013 19:35

its beautiful ._.

i hope to some day build a modular that day is not today sadly
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
Facade

Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

Postby the4thImpulse » 23 Oct 2013 19:11

Facade wrote:its beautiful ._.

i hope to some day build a modular that day is not today sadly

Its going to be expensive, that's for sure.

Anyway my first oscillator came in today, the power supply just shipped from Texas a couple days ago and I am planning to start building the cabinet this weekend!

the4thImpulse

Postby Facade » 23 Oct 2013 19:19

holy crap thats awesome! ._.

ive been so busy trying to get a running computer i forgot to save money for my studio monitors aaaaaaah
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
Facade

Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 28 Oct 2013 01:28

So they're releasing a micro version of the Minibrute (aka my favorite thing about my setup). From what I can see in the specs, it doesn't build much on the original design (aside from being smaller and presumably cheaper **EDIT: apparently it'll cost roughly $300), but one thing does catch my attention. 

Patch cables and the words "semi-modular". I'm not rushing to the bank or anything, I already have the same thing but bigger. But I'm interested to see what they do with the patching options and such. 

http://musicradar.com/news/tech/arturia-microbrute-video-demos-mini-monosynth-officially-announced-586791

**SECOND EDIT-- so apparently it's releasing November 1st. Jesus christ how am I this behind?!
Last edited by Mr. Bigglesworth on 28 Oct 2013 05:51, edited 2 times in total.

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 28 Oct 2013 02:45

Upon looking into this microbrute thing a little, I'm a fan of the sequencer. I may grab one second hand down the line. Also the tweaks to the sub oscillator seem pretty cool.

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Postby the4thImpulse » 28 Oct 2013 07:17

It does look like a nice little synth, I have no idea how they can get the cost down so much and still hold its feature set. I was very disappointed upon hearing the announcement though, after tons of hype emails from arturia and seeing quotes from musicians in on it saying "this changes everything", a small toy synth is not what I expected. I was hoping (and many others were aswell) for a polyphonic minibrute, that would've changed everything. This cheap analog synth market is getting pretty full of new products, something new in the mid-high range would be nice to see.
the4thImpulse

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 28 Oct 2013 15:50

100% agreed on that 4th. If it were a Polybrute announced I'd be much more excited for it.

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Postby the4thImpulse » 02 Nov 2013 21:30

Started the cabinet build today, will finish tomorrow due to a late start. I'll post some pictures soon tonight.

My power supply is almost here and I got an amplifier and midi modules just starting their voyage to my studio. I'm getting pretty excited.
the4thImpulse

Postby the4thImpulse » 02 Nov 2013 22:36

Here's what I got going..

Made out of a 4x8 foot birch veneer slab, 3/4" thick. Cut down to have two rows of angled modules and one row of vertical modules. This cabinet holds 24 MU (moog units - 2.125"), that's 8 single width modules over three rows. It stands at 2.5 feet high, same height as the desk I produce music on.

Rails will be installed tomorrow to hold the modules and then it will be stained (I hoping to do that tomorrow but maybe at a later date).

the4thImpulse

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 03 Nov 2013 04:03

Niiiice!

I'm planning on saving up for a good Polysynth and that'll probably be my last investment in hardware synths for a while. I wouldn't wanna crowd my workspace with things I probably wouldn't need. Between the Minibrute, the DX and the Dave Smith Mopho x4 I'm eying, I'd probably have enough to cover anything I'd reasonably wanna do with hardware.

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware/Tracking/Performance Advice