Hardware Synth Discussion

Want to know more about cables and adapters? Is DJing the right way to go? Which violins go well with your guitar? It's time to find out!

Re: Hardware Synth Discussion

Postby Acsii » 22 Jan 2014 00:48

I;m trying to work out what the last one is gonna be... It's clear that there's the 808 and the 909 and they'll probably do the 303 too... but I can't work out the last one...
20 something Transgirl that makes sounds called music
Soundcloud | Facebook | Bandcamp | Blog
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Old round oscilloscope

Postby Acsii » 22 Jan 2014 00:50

And then I found this
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Postby Acsii » 22 Jan 2014 01:01

Also here's something new from Nord that was unveiled recently
http://www.nordkeyboards.com/main.asp?t ... rd_Lead_A1
The Nord Lead A1
I don't know how it compares to the 4 but I'm hoping it's designed as a cheaper one. Because I really want a Nord Lead of any kind.

And as well the Moog Sub37
It is apparently a Moog SubPhatty with 37 keys and paraphonic playing. Basically it uses two oscillators playing different notes put through the same filter... it's a bit of a fake polyphony that is still capable of monophonic sounds. I'm really excited about this one because it's a replacement for the little phatty but it has the hellish bass of the subphatty, not that the MLP didn't have bass.

Also apparently Waldorf are thinking of releasing another synth. it's good to finally hear them come back from their hiatus.
Acsii

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 22 Jan 2014 02:48

I'm thinking of getting a Virus TI Snow second hand. I checked around on Ebay and they're anywhere from $700-$900 used. I've read up a bit on them, they seem like my kinda thing :P
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby Acsii » 22 Jan 2014 02:54

Mr. Bigglesworth wrote:I'm thinking of getting a Virus TI Snow second hand. I checked around on Ebay and they're anywhere from $700-$900 used. I've read up a bit on them, they seem like my kinda thing :P

I'm not gonna lie anything Virus makes is awesome... although there's just something about the phatness of a moog that makes me love them more.
Acsii

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 22 Jan 2014 03:11

Understandable. It's just that the advantages that come with the TI Snow's computer integration that makes it look appealing to me.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Postby Acsii » 22 Jan 2014 03:14

Mr. Bigglesworth wrote:Understandable. It's just that the advantages that come with the TI Snow's computer integration that makes it look appealing to me.

Fair enough. I'm the kind of person that likes record stuff the old fashion way, so that's not really a big deal to me.
Acsii

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 22 Jan 2014 03:22

I've tried doing that by recording individual notes on the minibrute. Didn't work so great.

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Postby Pulse Wave » 22 Jan 2014 06:18

The AIRAs were quite a surprise, yes, although we've yet to see how the 808 and 303 clones sound and handle in comparison to Acidlab Miami and Mose Machines x0xb0x.

As for me, I don't plan to get me any one of them. I'm not into Acid, so I don't need a 303, and the loads of 808 and 909 samples (among other machines) I have on my MPC are good enough for what I'm doing.

Anyhow, I still hope that Roger Linn will make a sample-based drum machine again (and include both the standard factory samples from the LM-1/LM-2/9000 as well as all the samples from the most popular custom EPROMs). It could also finally replace the classic hardware MPCs.
Old brony, older than old school.
Gear list, Jabber ID: see my profile.
No FL Studio, no VSTs. No Skype, no YouTube.

Sounds fly through the night, I follow Vın̈yl Scratch to Pony Wonderland.
Pulse Wave

OS: For music, you mean? Debian Buster + bits and pieces of KXStudio.
Primary: Hardware synths and samplers and sequencing and effects and mixing all the way. Plus Qtractor.
Cutie Mark: Green 33% width pulse wave

Postby Facade » 22 Jan 2014 09:06

Acsii wrote:
Spoiler img:
And then I found this

is that a voccoder?
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
Facade

Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

Postby Acsii » 22 Jan 2014 17:07

Facade wrote:
Acsii wrote:
Spoiler img:
And then I found this

is that a voccoder?

That is one of its functions
Acsii

Postby Facade » 22 Jan 2014 19:07

Acsii wrote:
Facade wrote:
Acsii wrote:
Spoiler img:
And then I found this

is that a voccoder?

*drools a little more*
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
Facade

Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

Postby Acsii » 23 Jan 2014 16:34

Facade wrote:
Acsii wrote:
Facade wrote:is that a voccoder?

*drools a little more*

Haha
Acsii

Postby S.P.P » 24 Jan 2014 02:47

Seriously considering bagging myself a TETR4. It makes me cry semen from my ears.
S.P.P

Primary: FL Studio, Ableton, Pro Tools

Postby Acsii » 24 Jan 2014 18:26

So yea definitely getting one when I can
Acsii

Postby Pulse Wave » 26 Jan 2014 14:48

Anyone want a keytar with a built-in Korg Radias descendant (as in MicroKorg XL or, more likely, XL+)?

RK-100S

Pulse Wave

Primary: Hardware synths and samplers and sequencing and effects and mixing all the way. Plus Qtractor.

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 02 Feb 2014 00:18

So I dug up a little info on the Aira project from Roland. The drum machines (supposedly) aren't gonna be Analog. They're gonna be virtual analog emulation. So that's probably gonna bug some purists, but I reckon that if it's affordable and usable they'll do pretty well. I'm not personally bothered by it, but seeing the kind of legacy these drum machines follow, I can understand why someone would be bothered with them being digital.

There's still no real info on the potential 303 redo, but judging by the drum machines, it might take a similar route to the MC 303 and go digital.

EDIT: I'll embed these articles later, but someone apparently got a private demo of the Aira range at NAMM this year. He's legally bound not to give any conclusive information, but he did say they were really good.

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Postby Pulse Wave » 09 Feb 2014 23:44

The latest news I have is that it'll be a vocal processor, a drum machine named after the TR-808, a bassline machine named after the TB-303 and a keyboard synth named after the System-100. The extents of what they can mimic isn't entirely clear yet (the TR-08 might be able to do TR-909, too).

Pulse Wave

Postby SticktheFigure » 18 Mar 2014 20:07

With graduation approaching I'm expecting to come into a bit of money. My sister received between $1.5K and $2K when she graduated. She spent her money going to Comic Con that year, but I plan on using mine to buy music equipment. I can't decide on what I want to make my first hardware synth. There are so many things to choose from and consider. Polyphonic vs monophonic. VA or true analogue. Module or full on keyboard-and-all.

I'm gonna cry.
Spoiler woof:
Jokeblue wrote:the avatar of one of the guys who donated pretty much sums up how this is going
Keyboard: Yamaha Sy22 DAW: FLStudio 10 VST: Massive, Zeta+ 2
SticktheFigure

Cutie Mark: Piano

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 19 Mar 2014 03:16

Well. Do you use your pc for everything? If so I'd consider digital dsp like a Nord or a Virus, and coming with that you'd have the option to switch between mono and poly (I think). It also depends on how finicky you are about analogue 'warmth'. To most people this won't make much difference, but you'd probably notice some difference between digital and analogue.

Typically; analogue is good for doing simpler sounds really really well and as such are kind of limitted (but that's not really that bad, it makes you be a little more concise in your sound design) and digital synths are more geared towards people who wanna do more complicated sounds like your formanty weird style sounds but they can be a little robotic.

Whatever you do, make sure you're getting something really good and research the everloving FUCK out of it. Example; the Minibrute is a good synth but the brute factor function can make the filter unstable and hard to control via keyboard, the Virus synths can run out of dsp and polyphony in more complex patches.

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Postby SticktheFigure » 19 Mar 2014 22:34

Yeah, all I've been doing the past week is looking at EVERYTHING in extra depth all while considering price range.
If I go with digital I'm probably picking up a Roland GAIA but I still haven't decided. If analogue, it's gonna be a bit harder to pick. The three top ones are the Minibrute, the MS-20 mini, or the Sub 37. Of course, the Sub 37 is probably the far range of my price zone and would keep me from buying an audio interface immediately. Still, I'd rather have something to play even if I can't record it at the time. And it's not like I couldn't record it AT ALL, just not directly into Ableton or anything else.
Spoiler woof:
Jokeblue wrote:the avatar of one of the guys who donated pretty much sums up how this is going
SticktheFigure

Postby Acsii » 04 May 2014 07:38

So guys I have feedback on the TB03 and the TR08.
The TR-08 is amazing. It is a really good revamp and produces really nice sounds and the preset sounds are really nice. The TB03 is well meh. it's neat some of the play styles you can do because it's touch screen. However it has less features than the original and is really dumbed down and the sound just isn't 303 enough for me. I compared the TB-03 side by side to an original TB-303 and well although the new one ways less it is slightly bulkier and just well too basic. I also tested the VT-3 and wow is all I can say. Once I have the money I will definitely be getting a TR-08 and VT-3. However I will have to think about the TB-03 the one thing that makes me want to possibly buy it is the price... and the fact you can still do some original TB-03 sounds.
Acsii

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 08 May 2014 22:00

I kinda wanna try the system one. It looks neato

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Postby Acsii » 09 May 2014 02:20

Mr. Bigglesworth wrote:I kinda wanna try the system one. It looks neato

Sadly the place where I tried out the TB-3 and the TR-8 didn't have the System-1 yet. I'll give you a heads up once they have it and I get a chance to try it.
Acsii

Postby SticktheFigure » 17 May 2014 11:39

I stopped at my local (or near local) music store. I thought it'd help narrow down my decisions but it only made it harder for me to pick between a few.

Graduation needs to just hurry up so I can buy one and then save up for the next one.
Spoiler woof:
SticktheFigure

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware/Tracking/Performance Advice