How To: Emo (twinkle, midwestern etc.)

From scales and semitones to pentatonics and cadence patterns. It's all about the science behind the expression, here.

How To: Emo (twinkle, midwestern etc.)

Postby Gnarrkhaz » 08 May 2015 16:26

So, am i the only one around here who's into Emo (meaning Mineral, The Gloria Record, American Football, The World Is A Beautiful Place And I Am No Longer Afraid To Die, Snowing, Brave Bird, Joie De Vivre, Algernon Cadwallader, You Blew It!, Football etc., Prawn, and so on)? It always seems to me that i'm the only one who listens to this stuff but this genre clearly has a large enough fanbase to get bigger and bigger, especially in the last couple of years.

Anyway, i started a thread over at Ultimate Guitar in which i collect tropes, composition techniques and such regarding this genre and sometimes i post some tabs too. There's not a lot of advice regarding writing music in this genre so i decided to provide some myself. I'm also looking for advice myself though, in fact the main reason why i did this is so it would spark conversation.

So if anyone feels like sharing their experience and findings or if you'd like some tips, head over and let's talk!

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1644659&page=1
Gnarrkhaz

Primary: Reaper
Cutie Mark: white solid body guitar

Return to Composition and Music Theory Advice