MLR has 60 days to exist- [SAVED]

It is very important that you pay attention to this forum.

MLR has 60 days to exist- [SAVED]

Postby Makkon » 26 Apr 2015 13:32

That dreaded time has come. The entire site management is sapped dry of their time and energy, and after a long discussion with the administration, we just can't run this site or pay for it anymore.

This isn't a prank. This is real talk. I'd normally apologize if this upsets anyone, as I know it will make some people stark raving furious, but I just can't bring myself to circumvent people's feelings or ego with this matter, as it changes nothing.

The administration (that checks their messages) is aware of this issue and those who responded have unanimously agreed that it's not viable for MLR to exist in it's current form anymore.

So here's the topic. MLR will either cease to exist, or it needs to live on in another form. If it lives on, what form would you want it to take? A blog? A reddit page? One thing that it cannot be is a paid-for site/forum.

Discuss.

[edit] moved to arbitrary forum so that people can reply.
youtube | deviantart | tumblr

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Re: MLR has 60 days to exist- discuss alternatives

Postby CommandSpry » 26 Apr 2015 13:52

I'm still thinking a chain of restaurants across America

if you're strapped for cash you can just set up a few tables in some abandoned crackhouses, should be plenty of those
Hey. Listen. I don't Care anymore. You hear me you Son of a Bitch? I'm old now. I have all the resources.
Hey. Listen. I don't Care anymore. You hear me you Son of a Bitch? I'm old now. I have all the resources.

hello I'm spry wobbler lol I'm
CommandSpry

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: wobbler

Postby ExoBassTix » 26 Apr 2015 13:56

I imagined it would come sometime soon. I've had the question of what next for MLR in the back of my head for some time.

MLR has, the way I see it, evolved more into a group of friends than anything else. At the very least, I consider it as such. This place turned into an occasional meeting ground, sort of. And as to what happens here? We're bronies, and we talk about fun things or music things. Or occasionally, when there's something to rant about, brony things, which is rare (or at least, has been; here's to hoping season 5 will properly rekindle the MLP discussion). On that I think making a subreddit or a blog would be a bit strange as the only thing that makes MLR what it is, is the people.

So, besides the forum which'll be gone in some time, we got a Steam group, and an ancient Facebook page.
I think it might be a good idea to make a new open Facebook group where any and all useful tidbits of production tips, pony discussion, etc can take place. It could be just like MLR, though more instantaneous, and all in one place. It could pretty much be a new forum, though more stripped-down, more personal, and more simply moderated. And more independent in a way. A forum is much more official than a Facebook.

But I'm rambling. That's my thought. It could be used to more effectively and actually dedicatedly organize small-scale meet-ups, if the wish arises. I believe it's been a group wish on this board for some time, though something that's never been done something with. Perhaps...?
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby Mouby » 26 Apr 2015 13:56

CommandSpry wrote:I'm still thinking a chain of restaurants across America

if you're strapped for cash you can just set up a few tables in some abandoned crackhouses, should be plenty of those

Tupac Gold and I have agreed to help finance your endeavors Spry.

As for this forum, RIP. ;_;7
Mouby

Postby CommandSpry » 26 Apr 2015 13:58

With Tupac's gold MLR will develop into the true American crackhouse

also wow this is still a thing wow hey guys LE bROH OFOF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111

hello I'm spry wobbler lol I'm
CommandSpry

Cutie Mark: wobbler

Postby CitricAcid » 26 Apr 2015 14:11

Forums are my favorite form of internet communication, so I will always prefer that to anything else. I know there are other free forum hosting sites. Perhaps one of them can serve MLR's purposes?

How much money, and how much time investment does it take to keep this forum up?
Image Image Image
CitricAcid

Primary: Cubase
Cutie Mark: Music scroll

Postby Makkon » 26 Apr 2015 14:12

Facebook is a good idea. Who would be willing to run and manage that?

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby Makkon » 26 Apr 2015 14:16

CitricAcid wrote:Forums are my favorite form of internet communication, so I will always prefer that to anything else. I know there are other free forum hosting sites. Perhaps one of them can serve MLR's purposes?

How much money, and how much time investment does it take to keep this forum up?

It's about $60 a year to keep the forum up, as for time investment it's just too much for me and most of the mods. If you have any free forum recommendations, post them up!

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby ExoBassTix » 26 Apr 2015 14:19

Makkon wrote:Facebook is a good idea. Who would be willing to run and manage that?

100% absolutely. I'm on Facebook a lot, and very very reachable on there.
Makkon wrote:
CitricAcid wrote:Forums are my favorite form of internet communication, so I will always prefer that to anything else. I know there are other free forum hosting sites. Perhaps one of them can serve MLR's purposes?

It's about $60 a year to keep the forum up, as for time investment it's just too much for me and most of the mods. If you have any free forum recommendations, post them up!

Well Freeforums.
Also, maybe it'd be an idea to set up donations for MLR? Could be worth a shot. I'm taking AmbientOnline.org as an example for how effective it can be, and they've got more than just a forum -and- need need more money.
Collecting dust...

ExoBassTix

Postby CitricAcid » 26 Apr 2015 14:28

Makkon wrote:

I'll poke around and see if I can find any that seem good. Facebook is my #2 preference; I already frequent a few brony FB groups.

If someone rose up who was willing to invest the time and money into managing the forum, would keeping MLR alive in its current state be as simple as that?
Image Image Image
CitricAcid

Primary: Cubase
Cutie Mark: Music scroll

Postby Makkon » 26 Apr 2015 14:32

I really can't justify keeping a forum for the amount of activity this place has. I'm telling you right now, when this 60 days is up, I'm off the case. MLR has been the largest stressor in my adult life, getting married and living on my own income has been a breeze compared to circumventing the egos that the pony-fandom has brought.

Guys, really. If you want to keep MLR in it's current form, the entire management is going to have to be restructured. We just can't do it anymore. We have lost the drive to keep going.

If you're up for it, then ownership can be moved to new people.

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby Injustrial » 26 Apr 2015 14:36

If 60$ per year is all you need, I've got that and could easily sponsor the entire MLR of my own pocket. Somehow,
I don't think that money's really the issue here....

Those in charge, mods and admins alike, are possibly very tired and don't have the time to manage everything around here anymore. Which is a shame, as I've almost started to feel at home in a forum, something I never thought would happen.

I agree with the Facebook group thing. Perhaps we could make a thread where people link their profiles and the admins of those groups could mass invite us all? It'd be a bit like this forum, only less organized and less enjoyable. Though, we'd still get to hang out together, bounce ideas of each other and have a rant or two.

My biggest suggestion would be to pin a post like "Review the song above you" for maximum feedback potential and take it from there, I guess? Post your channels, links to your stuff, random pictures of horses and general shenanigans. In either case, I'd love to keep in contact with you guys, you've helped me grow as a producer and made me feel welcome. And for that, I thank you.

Whatever happens next, good luck and God speed!
Injustrial

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Sh*t on Fire

Postby Anorax » 26 Apr 2015 14:57

I don't think I've seriously visited these forums in years, probably not since the old design was replaced. Therefore I can't really comment on a viable way to keep MLR operable in some form or another.

I will say one thing, the MLR forums are a massive resource. The current knowledgebase is rather large, and while the same info can also be found elsewhere, I can't tell you how many times a thread from MLR has shown up in the top search results on Google for certain, non-pony topics. Perhaps I'll have to be content with scouring the web archives for MLR stuff in the future.
DAW: Mixcraft 6
3rd Party VSTs: Alien 303 Bass Synthesizer, Various Angular Momentum Products, Artemis, Combo Organ Models V+F, Daedalus, iloSynth1, Impuse, Messiah, MinimogueVA, oxytocin, P8, various Togu Audio Line products, Synth1, TS-Substance, VB3 Organ
Youtube
Soundcloud
Anorax

Postby DjMidli » 26 Apr 2015 15:27

I definitely think you should archive it, perhaps how desustorage has archived everfree.net for EFN.

I stand corrected.
Last edited by DjMidli on 26 Apr 2015 16:17, edited 1 time in total.
DJ and producer of hard music with a powerful stage presence hailing from BC, Canadeh.
Denon MC-6000 | ATH - M40x
Traktor | Fl Studio

http://www.youtube.com/DJMidli
https://twitter.com/DjMidli
DjMidli

Cutie Mark: Hard & Sweet

Postby FLAOFEI » 26 Apr 2015 15:37

Well... I do value mlr pretty highly... But yeh... I'm gonna look at this and concider this at a later date. right now I'm drun, and shouldn't take important decisions
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
https://soundcloud.com/flaofei/brothel-king
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
ImageOMG POLKA PLOT!!! BEST ALBUM IN THE HISTORY OF POLKACORE!!!
FLAOFEI

Primary: Fruit Loops 10
Cutie Mark: POLKA PLOT

Postby Makkon » 26 Apr 2015 15:45

Good news!

PonyvilleFM and member Mixmastacopycat are going to be adopting the site!

The idea of a facebook group and reddit page is still viable for peripheral options. But for now, the forum is safe all thanks to these guys.

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby senntenial » 26 Apr 2015 15:46

woo! glad to hear. I'd be sad if this site went down.
My website with free music resources
18 year old full stack web dev and designer
senntenial
Global Moderator

Cutie Mark: ponies are for losers

Re: MLR has 60 days to exist- [SAVED]

Postby PinkieGuy » 26 Apr 2015 16:45

Makkon wrote:Good news!

PonyvilleFM and member Mixmastacopycat are going to be adopting the site!

I was going to suggest one final "Site Closing Down Comp + Stream", try and drag back all the old guys as well.

But given that the site is sticking around, I'll just quietly fade back into oblivion now...
JackleApp wrote:THIS IS A HEINOUS ABUSE OF POWER BUT

YOUR MOD COMMANDS YOU
PinkieGuy

Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Makkon » 26 Apr 2015 16:50

If you still want to do that, I'd say go for it! The site does need to be rekindled as it is.

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby Jokeblue » 26 Apr 2015 17:09

Probably wrong time and wrong place but omg Pinkieguy lives!

Anyway glad to hear everything's still all good. This forums almost become like an internet home to me, despite my not posting as much in serious treads as much as I probably should. It's like in my top 3 most regularily visited sites.
Youtube || Soundcloud || Skype: Thejokingblue

New song! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4lFqkuY5Fg
Jokeblue

Primary: Protools SE
Cutie Mark: Failure

Postby ExoBassTix » 26 Apr 2015 17:23

I still think it'd be a good idea to create a MyLittleRemix community Facebook group. What're your thoughts on this guys (looking especially at you, new site owners)?
Collecting dust...

ExoBassTix

Postby Mushrooshi » 26 Apr 2015 17:45

Speaking as myself, I'm not too keen on splitting the community between too many methods of communication, and Facebook is hard to search for old threads and its closed nature also prevents it from being as valuable of a community resource as the MLR forum does. I see the primary value of MLR being its open community access for remixing resources.

A Facebook page that lets us announce any major projects and releases, on the other hand, I think would be a good idea, but I feel that the forum should be the primary platform for collaboration
Mushrooshi
Site Admin

Postby Mushrooshi » 26 Apr 2015 17:46

I'd like to add that I feel we should move discussion about the future of MLR to the new announcement thread http://mylittleremix.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=10288 , away from this one with its' gloomy title :P
Mushrooshi
Site Admin

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 26 Apr 2015 20:42

Makkon wrote:Facebook is a good idea. Who would be willing to run and manage that?

I currently help run another Facebook group for music. Taking on a second would be no sweat for me.

I currently accept people as an admin and investigate reported posts and talk with other admins about what actions should be taken. I also browse the posts for things against policy and fix them. Easy stuff. Normal admin stuff.
Plus I already have the admin experience
Bronies Are Cool

Cutie Mark: Snowboard

Postby Freewave » 26 Apr 2015 20:51

Alright looks like you guys found a buyer i guess.... Please lemme know if that changes. $60 split a few ways is really not that expensive to keep a site that represents the community. I'd rather much keep a FORUM that has years of community history then settle with a facebook or a reddit from scratch to save some money or lose this place. :umm: I knew you wanted to hand over the costs and perhaps change the forum but i didn't know you considered shutting it down or that no one wanted to take the helm after i left. You have my skype if you do want the site to go with someone who has a history with it.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Next

Return to Announcements