MLR App for mobile device

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

MLR App for mobile device

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 14 Sep 2013 16:44

Welcome to the idea channel. Well, actually the idea thread. Anyway, what if MLR had an app like how EQD (equestria daily) does?

"But the website works fine on my device! I don't need this."
Well, the EQD website on mobile works too, but the app is faster too use. Similarly, I'd like to make an app for this website that would make it faster to use. Like, what if there were in-app notifications for "reply from (such and such) on thread (such and such)". Sure, that does not sound like something that has never been done before, but it would make it easy to go to a response quickly, even if the website already has something similar. Anyway, the app is just an idea at the moment so, if interested, respond. Also, post possible features.

Possible features:

Background music:
Imagine listening to music awhile browsing the app. Imagine if all the music was made by the people who browse the site. Woa! Cool right! (Get it, because bronies are...never mind) also, there would be options for on/off for this so you do not havers waste the RAM on your device or listen to music that you do not want to listen to. There would be options to see who made the particular song, pick what song you want, repeat, skip, etc.

Font:
Imagine changing the size of the font so it's easier to read on your tiny screen. (iPod nano 7th gen :3) this would be nice. Also, change the color because this is Equestria, we do what we want. Also, change the font from "font this" to "font that". Also, it would be cool if there was a font creator.... Hmm

Watch posts:
Imagine you reply in a post and then it goes to crap and you don't want to watch it anymore. Yu would be able to unwatch that thread so you'll never have to see it again in a "view watched threads" button. :3

Layout:
Lets say you don't want the app layout to be pink or purple. (Whatever it is) lets say you want it to be blue instead, or green or rainbow.

Autosave drafts:
I was using the website to create this and it was a draft and then I left it and then came back and I had to redo everything that was not saved. How about, autosave drafts. This way people like myself would not get pissed that I have to retype a bunch of stuff.

Soundcloud:
Soundcloud does not work on the mobile site for me. So, the app would make it work.

Image loading:
Option for loading images first, last, or normal. This way, you wont have to waste a lot of time for images to load.

App icon options:
Would you like an icon like the MLR logo, or something else! Options to change it will be available.
Scenario 1:
Guy at school: what's this app? MLR? Oh, my little pony. You are gay.
You: (whatever you say to respond)

Scenario 2:
Guy at school: (app icon does not resemble mlp or MLB in any way. App looks I suspicious. Guy at school does not click on Pp or have interest for it.)
You: (IM STILL A CLOSET BRONY!!!)

Anyway, some people are closet brownies, some are not. App icon options will be available.

Links:
Want the links to open inside the app, or do you want the links to open inside a browser on your phone? Options will be made available.

Notifications:
Notifications will be made for PMs and new posts in new threads. On/off option too.

Water:
Are you thirsty? Want some water? A water dispenser feature will be added.

These are all ideas and may or may not happen. In fact, the who app may or may not happen. I still have not actually started my lessons in apps yet and I don't know how complex I will be able to make the app. For example, I can make video games, but not the next call of duty. More like the next "impossible quiz". I can make websites, but simple sites. Idk what I'll be able to do when making apps when I'm done with lessons.

Anyway, post ideas under.
Last edited by Bronies Are Cool on 14 Sep 2013 17:02, edited 2 times in total.
Bronies Are Cool

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Snowboard

Re: MLR App for mobile device

Postby ExoBassTix » 14 Sep 2013 16:52

The app icon thing is hard for iDevice, or you'd need two separate apps OR make it a Cydia package, making it jailbreak-only.

Maybe add something that notifies you when there's posted in a certain thread you've selected, and notifications for PMs as well.
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby Jokeblue » 14 Sep 2013 17:08

This I a totally awesome idea, and all those little features you list in the op would be amazing to have. I reckon it would be pretty beneficial to have the app, I use the site on my iPod all the time and I'm sure I'm not the only one who gets tired of all the fiddley little buttons and misdirections in pressing wrong buttons.

But... Im not too sure about this part but won't there maybe be a few problems with making money off of a website that you don't own? Or is this bypassed or what because it seems a little... Well, shifty, like that..
Youtube || Soundcloud || Skype: Thejokingblue

New song! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4lFqkuY5Fg
Jokeblue

Primary: Protools SE
Cutie Mark: Failure

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 14 Sep 2013 17:09

My idea is to make it a free app or something. Otherwise, I'd contact the site owner and send the income to the website wallet.
Bronies Are Cool

Postby Jokeblue » 14 Sep 2013 17:13

Ah ok. I was wondering about that. You were saying something in the spam thread (or here in the op I'm not bothered to check) about makin your money back for It or something, and it just seemed like there was something a little... wrong.

But anyway, good to hear, hope it all goes well :3

Lets see how it goes

Jokeblue

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 14 Sep 2013 17:15

In the spam thread, I said that I have a song on iTunes and that you should buy it so I can make my money back. ;_;
Bronies Are Cool

Postby Jokeblue » 14 Sep 2013 17:38

Eh wha?

....Oooh I get it now. Thought you were talkin about the app there. Was a little unclear x3

Jokeblue

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 14 Sep 2013 17:45

Yea, but known i for unclear being am.
Bronies Are Cool

Postby Acsii » 14 Sep 2013 18:07

Woah slow down there cow boy... Before you go gun ho at making an app you should right a problem specification that details features that are needed, then you can go into the features that you want. Needed features are things like: smooth clean and friendly interface, quick loading times, one time log in. Stuff like that. Then you can start to brainstorm the ideas that people want and discuss them to see if they are a feature that truly should be in the app. Once that is done you can start on the app... Once you start the app DO NOT ADD ANY NEW FEATURES NOT DISCUSSED AND AGREED UPON this is bad practice and you should feel bad about it. Also keep in mind that all of this will take a long time. I've been developing apps freelance for a few years now and this is what I go through every time.
20 something Transgirl that makes sounds called music
Soundcloud | Facebook | Bandcamp | Blog
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Old round oscilloscope

Postby Freewave » 14 Sep 2013 18:09

Well its a cute idea but i think having the site being app friendly and adding some of the features you recommended in the web version where its availablae from any browser and any app is the most logical path.

I mean do any of you guys make and create apps for a living (edit: i guess ACSII does) and would you get it programmed for multiple app sites (itunes, amazon, android) and available so its free? I can't just install apps to my ipod touch w/o itunes store being the download site w/o jail breaking it. These are cool ideas of course but just improving the site (ahem circuitfry) seems like the only realistic path at he moment.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Acsii » 14 Sep 2013 18:14

Most of the time when I do something like this kind of app I create a mobile version of the site and then the app is just an easier way of accessing it which cuts down on time spent multi platform programming.
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Postby Coloriot » 14 Sep 2013 18:39

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I NEED!! DO IT!!
Colorkek that makes computer noises.

What's my main genre? All of them.

[Youtube] [Soundcloud] [EQBeats] [Bandcamp] [Twitter]
Coloriot

Primary: Ableton Live 7
Cutie Mark: Mac Color Wheel of Doom

Postby ExoBassTix » 14 Sep 2013 19:01

I'll take this chance to say there need to be better emoticons. I can show an other emoticon-set that I like to show you it can be so much better.
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 14 Sep 2013 19:22

I'm thinking I should make a dev team.
Bronies Are Cool

Postby Sonarch » 15 Sep 2013 09:19

I'd love to pick this up if it becomes a reality :3
My goal is to be capable of making any kind of music that strikes my fancy, and do it well.
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 15 Sep 2013 15:17

Okay, I'll contact people later for the following:

Visual animation
Coding team
(Idk what else I'd need, but having a nice UI is important. Acsii, what else should be here?)
Bronies Are Cool

Postby itroitnyah » 15 Sep 2013 15:46

Making the app better than the actual site seems a bit unfair, haha.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 15 Sep 2013 16:31

You discovered my secret intentions...
Bronies Are Cool

Postby Acsii » 15 Sep 2013 17:01

Bronies Are Cool wrote:Okay, I'll contact people later for the following:

Visual animation
Coding team
(Idk what else I'd need, but having a nice UI is important. Acsii, what else should be here?)

You actually want:
Designers
Programmers
Testers
All the animation can be done pretty simply... If you know how to program that is
Acsii

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 15 Sep 2013 19:01

Currently, my app programming skills are about zero. :3
Remember, this is mostly idea and general interest at the moment and when I know a thing or two, that's when I'll start at this. However, I learn quick and stuff. I built a website hours after I learned my first coding. This stuff comes to me, I get it. So, thanks. I know at I'll need for the (hopefully) near future.
Bronies Are Cool

Return to Off-Topic Discussion