Forum Suggestion:

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

Forum Suggestion:

Postby DerpyGrooves » 08 Aug 2013 14:46

The Technique subforum should be split into two separate boards- one for philosophical/theoretical questions E.g. "What inspires you?" "Why do you make music?", and one for actual, answerable/provable technical advice E.g. "How do you get this vocoder sound?".

It seems like the whole thing is getting gummed up with these sort of meta-musical circlejerks that just like, really end up going nowhere.
"Had you played some free jazz to ninety five per cent of the people who had made 'Take Five' a smash, they would have run for cover behind the latest release by Pat Boone." - The Timelords
DerpyGrooves

Re: Forum Suggestion:

Postby S.P.P » 08 Aug 2013 14:51

I don't particularly see why this would be nessessary at all. I'm not really sure where the problem lies in all honesty. Seems pretty redundant as nobody complains and the board hasn't collapsed under the weight of all this meta you speak of.

EDIT:
Not sure why a new topic is needed either, you could have just messaged a mod about it, or made a comment in the "how to improve the site" or whatever-it's-called thread up top.
S.P.P

Primary: FL Studio, Ableton, Pro Tools

Postby DerpyGrooves » 08 Aug 2013 14:54

PYR3LIGHT wrote:I don't particularly see why this would be nessessary at all. I'm not really sure where the problem lies in all honesty. Seems pretty redundant as nobody complains and the board hasn't collapsed under the weight of all this meta you speak of.

What is technical about this, at all.
Or this.
Or this.
"Had you played some free jazz to ninety five per cent of the people who had made 'Take Five' a smash, they would have run for cover behind the latest release by Pat Boone." - The Timelords
DerpyGrooves

Postby S.P.P » 08 Aug 2013 14:59

1) Discussing the make-up of dubstep (in a roundabout way).
2) Looks like it would have been better in the community section.
3) Is again in the wrong sub-forum as it isn't serious anyway.

I'm not saying your idea is bad, I'm just saying I don't see the point as the forum works perfectly as is without adding one extra subforum.
S.P.P

Primary: FL Studio, Ableton, Pro Tools

Postby the4thImpulse » 08 Aug 2013 14:59

DerpyGrooves wrote:
PYR3LIGHT wrote:I don't particularly see why this would be nessessary at all. I'm not really sure where the problem lies in all honesty. Seems pretty redundant as nobody complains and the board hasn't collapsed under the weight of all this meta you speak of.

What is technical about this, at all.
Or this.
Or this.

You make a valid point.

I too would like to see a couple more sub forums for reasons such as above. I also want to see an off topic sub forum for all the off topic and 'spammy' sorts of threads, it would leave the community section much more clean and purpose full.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby DerpyGrooves » 08 Aug 2013 15:05

PYR3LIGHT wrote:1) Discussing the make-up of dubstep (in a roundabout way).
2) Looks like it would have been better in the community section.
3) Is again in the wrong sub-forum as it isn't serious anyway.

I'm not saying your idea is bad, I'm just saying I don't see the point as the forum works perfectly as is without adding one extra subforum.

The problem with the community subforum is that it's implicitly non-musical. It feels like there should be a clear split between like, actual musical discussion and just musical circlejerking.
DerpyGrooves

Postby Nine Volt » 08 Aug 2013 15:09

I don't see what the problem is currently, with regards to the first post. We're certainly not a big enough forum to warrant such a split - there's maybe 5 to 10 active topics in that subforum at one time.
Nine Volt

Postby DerpyGrooves » 08 Aug 2013 15:12

Nine Volt wrote:I don't see what the problem is currently, with regards to the first post. We're certainly not a big enough forum to warrant such a split - there's maybe 5 active topics in that subforum at one time.

Is it out of the question to suggest perhaps if the forum was better compartmentalized, there would be more people actually eager to post here? The way it's currently organized seems like it would be intimidating to a newcomer.
DerpyGrooves

Postby Magnitude Zero » 08 Aug 2013 15:27

DerpyGrooves wrote:
Nine Volt wrote:I don't see what the problem is currently, with regards to the first post. We're certainly not a big enough forum to warrant such a split - there's maybe 5 active topics in that subforum at one time.

Is it out of the question to suggest perhaps if the forum was better compartmentalized, there would be more people actually eager to post here? The way it's currently organized seems like it would be intimidating to a newcomer.

It really is kind of messy right now. I wouldn't mind trying out some subforums in the Community and Technique forums at the very least.

Technique could be split up into things like technical discussions (mixing, sound design), musical philosophy ("what inspires you?", "why do things sound good sometimes but not other times?"), maybe even a subforum for music theory. I agree that the Technique forum is a little barren right now but maybe a little organization and some more specific forums would encourage some traffic and good discussion.

The Community forum... let's be honest, it's a bit of a mess. "Everything non-musical" is an extremely broad discussion topic which has kind of led to a lot of spammy/pointless/Facebook-esque threads. We have threads that honestly be their own subforums. I'll use the video game thread as an example because it's the first to come to mind, though there are others: it's such a huge topic of discussion and trying to fit it into one thread is kind of silly, extremely messy, and a huge turnoff for actual video game discussion. How easy would it be to have six different topics in that one thread? No one wants that, so there's going to be less discussion.

Basically my main issue with the way the forums are set up right now is that there are several that are such broad discussion topics that it discourages posting. If there's a subforum specifically for talking about certain aspects of technique there will be more discussion on those aspects and thus more discussion on technique.
Formerly known as Blind

DAW: FL Studio 10
Style: Chill/Downtempo

Soundcloud | Youtube | Tumblr
Magnitude Zero

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: Horse butt not large enough

Postby Freewave » 08 Aug 2013 15:48

Honestly i agree with this proposition. There is no general music discussion or brony music community subforum and its always been difficult to find where to put those topics and threads. Not having subforums means that topics likely won't get posted or won't fit in with the majority of the content in the subforum.

Technique is for specific music-making techniques
Music Section is for showing off and getting your own track reviewed, not music discussion.
Community is supposed to be non-musical by nature.
Events are supposed to compilation album threads and not general community discussions

So gaps exist on this forum. Maybe an off-topic games section if people wanna play those games on mlr.

I recommend typing your post into this thread
Website/Community Feedback for Reboot so Circuitfry will entertain it (and i will echo that request if you do).

Keep in mind that no new developments or reboots of mlr can hapen until Circuitfry comes back to mlr and begins implementing that long list of recommendations. While he's had a lot on his plate (Rainbow & Rooted, Bronycon) i'd say we're due to find out what the status on those are and see some of those implemented to become reality.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Nine Volt » 08 Aug 2013 15:53

Freewave wrote:I recommend typing your post into this thread
Website/Community Feedback for Reboot so Circuitfry will entertain it (and i will echo that request if you do).

That thread is locked Aphrodite. :3
Nine Volt

Postby Freewave » 08 Aug 2013 16:07

I have ADDED it to the list in his first post and with a link BACK to this thread so that should be sufficient and a note that it was a late suggestion. :)

Hopefully will come true?
Freewave

Postby Nine Volt » 08 Aug 2013 16:10

Frankly I don't expect anything in that thread to ever be fulfilled. Because Stars can't/won't do it himself and Circuitfry is on for like 10 minutes once a month and Makkon left.
Nine Volt

Postby the4thImpulse » 08 Aug 2013 16:12

Nine Volt wrote:Frankly I don't expect anything in that thread to ever be fulfilled. Because Stars can't/won't do it himself and Circuitfry is on for like 10 minutes once a month and Makkon left.

Freewave for admin?
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8

Postby Nine Volt » 08 Aug 2013 16:16

the4thImpulse wrote:
Nine Volt wrote:Frankly I don't expect anything in that thread to ever be fulfilled. Because Stars can't/won't do it himself and Circuitfry is on for like 10 minutes once a month and Makkon left.

Freewave for admin?

Freewave for admin.
Nine Volt

Postby DerpyGrooves » 08 Aug 2013 16:18

Wet sandwich harder why don't you.

Fucking hell.
DerpyGrooves

Postby Nine Volt » 08 Aug 2013 16:21

DerpyGrooves wrote:

Wet sandwich harder why don't you.

Fucking hell.

Oh fuck off with the wet sandwich bullshit. You and I both know it's right.
Nine Volt

Postby ExoBassTix » 08 Aug 2013 16:28

The maturity.
Are you two quite finished?

I at least want to say that I'm 100% in favor of splitting Community into Forum Games and Community.
Maybe not make the posts in the forum game section add up to post counts.
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby PropellerEscape » 08 Aug 2013 16:43

Jesus Christ guys, can we go 2 posts without jabbing at each other? Grow up a little.

And I think this is a pretty decent idea, and some of the forums could benefit from being split - such as the Technique or Community forums. Having a section in Technique for actual musical technique queries, and one for the more philosophical side of things is a good idea, but seeing as we never have many threads active at one time, it could be kind of unnecessary.
Things can be a bit confusing for newcomers; I was a bit confused when I first came on here, and the site would benefit from being organised so the forums are a little less hectic.
But seeing as the other mods don't really frequent the site, some changes can't/aren't going to happen
DAW - FL Studio 11

Main VSTs - Harmor, Harmless, Massive, Sytrus and FM8

My Main SoundCloud
My Experimental Soundcloud

Add me on Skype - PropellerEscapeMusic
PropellerEscape

Primary: Flel Studio 11.
Cutie Mark: Synth of Lel

Postby itroitnyah » 08 Aug 2013 16:52

Our forum in general:

I think that this idea is ridiculous. I've seen a total of perhaps 5 "philosophical" and "theoretical" threads, and most of them were made by you, DG (not sayin' that's a bad thing). Other threads, such as the "Where do you get your ideas from?" thread aren't really "philosophical" or "theoretical", they're mostly just fun threads, and aren't meant to delve into some whole "I get my inspiration from the beauty of nature, as every birds call lifts my soul, the death of each animal tears at it, rendering me useless to the violence of the animal kingdom. But like an angel, the wing beat of a single butterfly lifts my to my feet, and I feel myself soar into the air like a majestic eagle, and then dive into the clear blue waters of the trickling creek and appreciate the beauty of all that is around me in nature" bullshit. The "Tell my if my hyphothesis is correct" thread though, I've just written that one off as a joke. The vengeance trap sample pack thread is also pretty much "a joke", although less of one, mostly made into a joke by the people commenting on it, haha. It also isn't philosophical or theoretical. We don't get enough philosophical or theoretical threads in comparison to actual technique "how do" threads to make a separate subforum. So unless you plan on spamming the technique subforum with threads about philosophy or theoretical questions, it'd be really redundant to start a whole new subforum for that type of stuff.

But if we're going to suggest new subforum ideas, I'm down with making a whole "Forum Games" subforum.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Postby Freewave » 08 Aug 2013 17:04

Both Stars and I are waiting on Circuitfry as we don't really have any true powers to implement much of anything on that list. Technically Stars went to Makkon to get me added as an admin as he couldn't do it directly and Cfry wasn't around. I've recommended adding 4th Impulse awhile back as well and i hope that still happens. Other ACTIVE mods would be great. We have a skype for all the mods but its as dead as a door nail guys.

There is a person in the skype mod chat that is supposed to be the forum site tech who could and would carry out forum redesigns. Stars has been working behind the scenes geting the next Remix Wars ready for an even more organized event. I tried to launch the tumblr integration this week myself (for community news, events, occasional exceptional music spotlights) but both mylittleremix@gmail and @tumblr are both taken so I'm waiting for what we should alternately name it. Feel FREE to recommend a suitable and untaken tumblr name here and I'll entertain it and see if i can't use that instead and get that created. That would be very helpful actually.

I'll see if i can't send a Cfry a tumblr note tonight when I get off work (only way to reach him?) and ask him to come back and get re-involved or give us a status. I'm actually behind on sleep, trying to finish a track this week, and going on vacation with my wife and kids for a few days after this weekend. So I'm kind of going to be uninvolved and away very shortly. I'm actua;lly writing this from my RL job in the middle of a 4 days 12 hr week. I appreciate your support guys but right now but please don't fight about what we should do when the most important thing is that Circuitfry comes back to the site and gets his team and the board back in order. Can't put the cart before the horse. :|
Freewave

Postby DerpyGrooves » 08 Aug 2013 17:16

Freewave wrote:Both Stars and I are waiting on Circuitfry as we don't really have any true powers to implement much of anything on that list. Technically Stars went to Makkon to get me added as an admin as he couldn't do it directly and Cfry wasn't around. I've recommended adding 4th Impulse awhile back as well and i hope that still happens. Other ACTIVE mods would be great. We have a skype for all the mods but its as dead as a door nail guys. There really isn't a training program that came with my new role. :(

There is a person in the skype mod chat that is supposed to be the forum site tech who could and would carry out forum redesigns. Stars has been working behind the scenes geting the next Remix Wars ready for an even more organized event. I tried to launch the tumblr integration this week myself (for community news, events, occasional exceptional music spotlights) but both mylittleremix@gmail and @tumblr are both taken so I'm waiting for what we should alternately name it. Feel FREE to recommend a suitable and untaken tumblr name here and I'll entertain it and see if i can't use that instead and get that created. That would be very helpful actually.

I'll see if i can't send a Cfry a tumblr note tonight when I get off work (only way to reach him?) and ask him to come back and get re-involved or give us a status. I'm actually behind on sleep, trying to finish a track this week, and going on vacation with my wife and kids for a few days after this weekend. So I'm kind of going to be uninvolved and away very shortly. I'm actua;lly writing this from my RL job in the middle of a 4 days 12 hr week. I appreciate your support guys but right now but please don't fight about what we should do when the most important thing is that Circuitfry comes back to the site and gets his team and the board back in order. :|

Friend hit me up on skype thank youuuu
DerpyGrooves

Postby Magnitude Zero » 08 Aug 2013 17:28

itroitnyah wrote:So unless you plan on spamming the technique subforum with threads about philosophy or theoretical questions, it'd be really redundant to start a whole new subforum for that type of stuff.

Would be a helluva lot better than what we got going on there right now (read: almost nothing).
PropellerEscape wrote:but seeing as we never have many threads active at one time, it could be kind of unnecessary.

I really think there would be more discussion if we had more specific subforums. Look at this:
That is so incredibly vague. It's really no wonder we're not getting much traffic in that forum. A little direction is all we need to stimulate some more discussion. Think about it. If there was forum specifically for talking about something like sound design, wouldn't you be more inclined to talk about sound design?
Formerly known as Blind

DAW: FL Studio 10
Style: Chill/Downtempo

Soundcloud | Youtube | Tumblr
Magnitude Zero

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: Horse butt not large enough

Postby CaptainFluffatun » 08 Aug 2013 17:43

I don't really see why "not that many philosophical posts" is a reason not to do the split. I see no problem in being organized.
CaptainFluffatun

Primary: Cubase 5
Cutie Mark: Orchestral

Postby itroitnyah » 08 Aug 2013 17:47

inb4 we have as many subforums as the boyinaband forums (seriously, they have 16 subforums. Sure, it's really useful for categorizing subjects, but quite a few could be combined or don't even need to exist at all). Granted, they're a bigger forum than us, but honestly, if you think it's really that confusing as to where to post your tutorial on making kicks and snares along with a few of the samples you've made, then just give it your best guess and chances are, if you're in the wrong category, a mod will move it. The only time we ever have problems with this is when new people post "I'm new here!" everywhere but the community subforum.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Next

Return to Off-Topic Discussion