Map of Brony Music - Brony Music Scene Proximity Chart

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

Map of Brony Music - Brony Music Scene Proximity Chart

Postby ganondox » 20 May 2013 09:49

So, early I had a proposed idea for a database showing interactions in the fanbase, but it was a bit overly complicated. Well, after seeing this: http://got-djent.com/article/map-djent-fourth-edition I have a new, hopefully better and actually doable idea, though I don't know the algorithms for creating proximity charts. Anyway, I'm simply seeking to create a proximity chart were artists who collaborate with each more are placed closer together. To do this, first a raw number representing the amount of interactions between combinations of musicians will be calculated. These will then be used as weights to generate a graph like common fans are used in the Map of Djent, however they did that.

Now, for calculating the raw number, I believe I've come up with a simple enough formula. It's simply a summation of values relating to every song connecting the two artists. Here are the corresponding values:

A song by artist 1 featured on an album or contest hosted by artist 2 - 1 Point
A cover or remix by artist 1 of a song by artist 2 - 2 Points
A direct collaboration between artists 1 - 5 Points

I think the best way to keep track of this is with two spread sheets, one recording the calculations, and one shows the final combinations between the artists.

So, for example, Avaitors and Bronyfied have collaborated on six songs now, I'm pretty sure neither of them have hosted a contest or compilation album, and as far as I know neither of them have remixed on the others songs. That gives them 5x6 = 30 points. That means that I have a pretty tight relationship.

After that is calculated for a set of brony musicians all that we need to be done is plug the data into some sort of algoritm that could plot a map based on it.
ganondox

Primary: Garage Band :P
Cutie Mark: Σ

Re: Map of Brony Music - Brony Music Scene Proximity Chart

Postby Freewave » 20 May 2013 11:40

Sounds good and it might work better than last.fm which hasn't done a great job linking brony musicians together of having much support. Good luck with this.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby ganondox » 20 May 2013 19:18

The biggest problem is that I have no idea how to actually make such a chart after the information is collected. One obvious problem is that the distance in relationships between people are not Euclidian, though if the Map of Djent used the same type of thing than it's possible. I guess simply regarding someone as being close if they are close to someone close solves the problem.
ganondox

Postby Sonarch » 20 May 2013 19:30

I'd be interested to see where this goes, though I can't offer any helpful knowledge..
My goal is to be capable of making any kind of music that strikes my fancy, and do it well.
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Primary: FL Studio

Postby ganondox » 20 May 2013 20:57

Sonarch wrote:I'd be interested to see where this goes, though I can't offer any helpful knowledge..

You could help me record information once I get a spread sheet up.
ganondox

Postby Sonarch » 20 May 2013 21:02

ganondox wrote:
Sonarch wrote:I'd be interested to see where this goes, though I can't offer any helpful knowledge..

You could help me record information once I get a spread sheet up.

Perhaps once school is out, I could do that, yeah
My goal is to be capable of making any kind of music that strikes my fancy, and do it well.
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Postby ganondox » 21 May 2013 21:26

Okay, here is what I have now: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... NTWc#gid=2

I'm currently up through the Aviators....2 people done, 30 people listed....and it's only going to grow...

Some people do weird things, and I need to figure out what to do with them. First Bronyfied has his medley, which I decided was 1 remix per song incorporated, and now it looks like TeiPony has these weird samplers things which are a mash of a bunch of songs by a single artist, so I guess that makes it a medley, but I don't think it's really proper to count each song in it as it's own song, but ignoring it completely doesn't seem proper either....I'll just count each one of those as a single remix.
ganondox

Postby Sonarch » 22 May 2013 12:54

ganondox wrote:Okay, here is what I have now: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... NTWc#gid=2

I'm currently up through the Aviators....2 people done, 30 people listed....and it's only going to grow...

Some people do weird things, and I need to figure out what to do with them. First Bronyfied has his medley, which I decided was 1 remix per song incorporated, and now it looks like TeiPony has these weird samplers things which are a mash of a bunch of songs by a single artist, so I guess that makes it a medley, but I don't think it's really proper to count each song in it as it's own song, but ignoring it completely doesn't seem proper either....I'll just count each one of those as a single remix.

If you add me I might be able to add some to it this weekend. Maybe send me the link via PM?
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Postby ganondox » 22 May 2013 18:30

Sonarch wrote:
ganondox wrote:Okay, here is what I have now: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... NTWc#gid=2

If you add me I might be able to add some to it this weekend. Maybe send me the link via PM?

Well I'll need your email in order to add you as an editor, but sure, I'll send you a PM.
ganondox

Postby ganondox » 22 May 2013 20:19

Okay, TeiThePony's mixes will be ignored as there are too darn many of them and they aren't really new songs, only his REmixes will be considered. Mashups are considered remixes, just putting 10 songs in a row together isn't.
ganondox

Postby JSynth » 23 May 2013 08:21

I am totally lost.

https://soundcloud.com/jasper-synth/back-at-me
Jokeblue wrote:You fool. You've doomed the Spam thread to yet another, inevitable :3 spam.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

DAW: Logic Pro 9
Plugins: Sylenth, Sausage Fattener, Komplete 9, NI The Mouth, Ozone 5, Bitspeek
JSynth

Primary: Logic 9
Cutie Mark: yo face

Postby ganondox » 23 May 2013 09:33

JSynth wrote:I am totally lost.

Look at the map of Djent. I'm trying to ultimately create something like that. Right now, I'm gathering data.
ganondox

Postby Sonarch » 23 May 2013 20:13

Although the layout of the sheets for the individual artists is thwarting me at this moment, when I am really tired, I understand at least the main part. But i'm seeing a problem. If two musicians have remixed each other's songs, it doesn't look like it's possible to show the remixes for both if one is above the other on the list, since it can't show interactions of the lower one towards the higher one.

EDIT: I understand the individual sheets now, and i've entered some data, but the problem still stands.

EDIT AGAIN: Now I see how that works out, so the issue is no longer an issue.
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Postby ganondox » 26 May 2013 01:52

Sonarch wrote:Although the layout of the sheets for the individual artists is thwarting me at this moment, when I am really tired, I understand at least the main part. But i'm seeing a problem. If two musicians have remixed each other's songs, it doesn't look like it's possible to show the remixes for both if one is above the other on the list, since it can't show interactions of the lower one towards the higher one.

EDIT: I understand the individual sheets now, and i've entered some data, but the problem still stands.

EDIT AGAIN: Now I see how that works out, so the issue is no longer an issue.

In order for this work I'm pretty sure that remixing going in both directions needs to be combined into a single number, anyway, it's simpler that way. I've touched up most of what you did so far, thanks for what you've done.
ganondox

Postby ganondox » 31 May 2013 08:14

Heck, anyone can edit now. If you can figure out how the stupid thing works add anything you want to. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... NTWc#gid=2
ganondox

Postby Sonarch » 01 Jun 2013 16:28

I've been hit by the final wave of schoolwork, so in a couple weeks I should have the free time to keep working on this.
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Postby Conchetupony » 01 Jun 2013 19:59

With my very limited knowledge of Web programming, I think it'd be far easier to write a program that uses some YouTube API to fetch all video titles from a musician's channel, count a mention of an artist as a "point" and keep track of "closeness" scores for each musician in a database.

This is a very interesting idea, I'm not sure whether I could help.
oops I dropped the bass

will you pick it up for me
Conchetupony

Primary: Ardour 3.3.1
Cutie Mark: Mindlessly rocking out

Postby ganondox » 02 Jun 2013 10:29

Conchetupony wrote:With my very limited knowledge of Web programming, I think it'd be far easier to write a program that uses some YouTube API to fetch all video titles from a musician's channel, count a mention of an artist as a "point" and keep track of "closeness" scores for each musician in a database.

This is a very interesting idea, I'm not sure whether I could help.

That might work to a degree, but 1. I have no idea how to do that 2. It might not catch certain collabs, may erronously report some connections, and may report things twice, and 3. It can't be weighted. Still, it's better than nothing.
ganondox

Postby HMage » 03 Jun 2013 15:04

last.fm kinda already does this

go to http://www.last.fm/music/PinkiePieSwear and click on any of "similar artists", rinse, repeat
HMage

Primary: Ableton
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby ganondox » 04 Jun 2013 07:41

HMage wrote:last.fm kinda already does this

go to http://www.last.fm/music/PinkiePieSwear and click on any of "similar artists", rinse, repeat

Except that's not what this is. This isn't looking for similar artists, this is looking for interactions between artists to look at structure of the community regardless of the actual musical style of the artists or their fanbases. I assume similar artists works through a bottoms-up approach, I'm looking for a top-down approach.
ganondox

Postby ganondox » 09 Jun 2013 10:14

Because I'm lazy *** is the placeholder for a series of name placeholders.
ganondox

Return to Off-Topic Discussion