Gifts for Studio B - Albums?!?!?!?!?

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

Re: Gifts for Studio B - Albums?!?!?!?!?

Postby Makkon » 14 Oct 2011 21:50

Supersaw Hoover wrote:
Makkon wrote:Doubt they'll want to hear [...] any sort of ear-rape volume; I dare say entire genres ought to be excluded.

Well now that's just being subjective~

No bro, it's being thoughtful. Not many people enjoy literal ear-damaging decibel music. Just wanting to give them a gift that Studio B can appreciate as a whole.
youtube | deviantart | tumblr

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby Interrobang Pie » 15 Oct 2011 04:50

Grouping by character would be a little awkward - there are loads of worthwhile songs (not limited to these) that aren't about any of the Mane 6, and then you've got songs that aren't about anypony in particular. And then what do you do for songs like this?

Of course, you've then got problems with dividing it up into genres. So, purely as an example, let's say we divide it up into Chill, Crazy, aCoustic. So where does this fit in?

The only really fair way of grouping it is by artist - alphabetical order. But of course, Studio B doesn't know who we are, and thus doesn't know what to expect - would they appreciate getting hit by a heavy song right after a chill one?

Even then you've got problems with who gets in and who doesn't. What is the definition of worthwhile? If we name this compilation under My Little Remix, what do we do about artists that aren't in our community (NotClever, SoGreat, RainbowCrash88...)?

These are all questions we need answered quickly if we have any hope of taking this further.

(All linked songs were used as example only. I'm not hinting about anything at all.)
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie

Postby Stars In Autumn » 15 Oct 2011 05:04

Those are fairly good points.

I'd say we'd almost need to stick to just songs influenced directly from the show. Remixes of the music or mashups using vocal samples from the show. If they listened to my Octavia song, I don't think they'd get it. But maybe they'd like Celestial Origins, since it's suppose to be an orchestral piece based on the intro.

Unfortunately this excludes many great musicians. I mean, this is a pretty big minefield we're talking about. I'd say chose only one song per artist at most. Pick some songs not directly influenced by the show, but it has to obviously be linked to the show, to the point where they don't need context to get it.

And if we do this, I say we should just pick a few people to chose the songs and trust in their decisions. It's not really something we have time to vote on. Maybe one rough draft near the end and people can talk about it and make last minute changes. I don't know who is exactly running this at this point, if it's you I-Pie, pick a couple people who work in different genres and make up a list. Make sure you get permission to do this by each artist before you burn the CD with their work. Post the list here and see if anyone objects to anything specific. Make last minute changes and send it off.
-Stars In Autumn aka Jeffthestrider
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin

Primary: FL
Cutie Mark: Myself

Postby Supersaw Hoover » 15 Oct 2011 05:16

Makkon wrote:
Supersaw Hoover wrote:
Makkon wrote:Doubt they'll want to hear [...] any sort of ear-rape volume; I dare say entire genres ought to be excluded.

Well now that's just being subjective~

No bro, it's being thoughtful. Not many people enjoy literal ear-damaging decibel music. Just wanting to give them a gift that Studio B can appreciate as a whole.

C'mon, you know I'm joking :3
Supersaw Hoover

Postby bartekko » 15 Oct 2011 05:21

Supersaw Hoover wrote:Well now that's just being subjective~

now, tell me: how many people around there like 1000+ BPM speedcore, or super hardcore extra grindcore metal? or noisecore? some, yes, there are communities that love this, but I think that if we're to send something to studio B, it should be pretty manestream music- pop, techno, dubstep, light melodic metal, hard rock, this kind of music. EDIT: whatever

and to interrobang pie: we 'd be working on this compilation as a whole community, a community based off THIS very site. you may however send messages to ie. NACP (he doesn't want to have anything with us) or rainbow crash if they want to participate
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby Interrobang Pie » 15 Oct 2011 05:38

If we're using originals (which I don't see why we should exclude), we'd need to pick songs where you'd be able to understand the context without any prompts other than the name of the song.

Jeffthestrider wrote:And if we do this, I say we should just pick a few people to chose the songs and trust in their decisions.

I'll throw an elite team of music pickers into some private Skype group sometime soon - maybe tonight or tomorrow night. Afterwards I'll post the list here, yes.

Which reminds me - album art. Makkon threw a huge (2768*2582) vector of the MLR logo at me for use in the Remix War intermission thing, I'll go ahead and upload that here. I'd do the stuff myself, but I'm sure it'd be better left with some people with better Photoshopping/art skills than me. I'll leave the design up to you, and then I'll throw some tracks to list on the back when we're done. Of course, we still need to decide how we're organising the album!

bartekko wrote:you may however send messages

I'll probably leave this up to someone with more of an image than myself.

(Again, people used as only as examples. Don't feel forced.)

EDIT: Updating the first post with a summary of what's happened so far...
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie

Postby d.notive » 15 Oct 2011 17:45

If you're going to chop it all up into "collections," perhaps here's a reasonable solution.

1 - Music that is, in some form, taken directly from the show, i.e. showcasing clips, remixes of songs from the show, fan covers, etc. etc.

2 - Music that is directly inspired from the show, like fan themes for mane characters, Luna Republic, etc. etc.

3 - Music that is based on/deals with the fandom, or tertiary characters that are only more prevalent because of the fandom ... Lyra, Derpy, and VinylScratch come to mind.

Personally, while I tend to agree with Makkon, I'm also inclined to think that we'd be depriving the studio of something for excluding a genre we're assuming they don't like. There could be that one animator who's really into speedcore, and might really appreciate a track ending up on the compilation! In my mind, this should be the Brony Music Community's best, regardless of genre! :D

My 2 cents.
d.notive is Matt Larson & <other insert vocalist>

DAW: Sonar 6 P.E.

<SilvaHound> I CAN'T SLEEP AT NIGHT KNOWING THAT THERE'S SOMEPONY OUT THERE WHO KNOWS HIS DISCO MORE THAN I
d.notive

Postby PinkieGuy » 15 Oct 2011 19:15

d.notive wrote:If you're going to chop it all up into "collections," perhaps here's a reasonable solution.

1 - Music that is, in some form, taken directly from the show, i.e. showcasing clips, remixes of songs from the show, fan covers, etc. etc.

2 - Music that is directly inspired from the show, like fan themes for mane characters, Luna Republic, etc. etc.

3 - Music that is based on/deals with the fandom, or tertiary characters that are only more prevalent because of the fandom ... Lyra, Derpy, and VinylScratch come to mind.

Personally, while I tend to agree with Makkon, I'm also inclined to think that we'd be depriving the studio of something for excluding a genre we're assuming they don't like. There could be that one animator who's really into speedcore, and might really appreciate a track ending up on the compilation! In my mind, this should be the Brony Music Community's best, regardless of genre! :D

My 2 cents.

I agree with all of this whole heartedly.
JackleApp wrote:THIS IS A HEINOUS ABUSE OF POWER BUT

YOUR MOD COMMANDS YOU
PinkieGuy

Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Whitetail » 15 Oct 2011 20:01

Note Studio B is a group of individuals with varied eclectic tastes in music just like us, on top of that artistic people who produce not just a product, but an artistic median - IE I'd imagine they'd be quite open minded. It's not like we're dealing with snobs here, these are real understandable people.

So long as it's tasteful I think at least someone there could come to appreciate the variety we bring to the table, and on top of that unfair to give them the impression that we aren't creative enough in our own right to take inspiration from the show on a level more then just remixes directly from the show.

In that manner it should be a best of the entire community as a whole taking into account all we have to offer, not limiting ourselves to such a narrow view.
Whitetail

Postby Interrobang Pie » 15 Oct 2011 22:33

d.notive wrote:If you're going to chop it all up into "collections," perhaps here's a reasonable solution.
<snip>

Yes. Actually, I like this one quite a lot. I'll put this as first, with the alphabetical artists as backup if this somehow doesn't work out.

Derpy Hooves wrote:So long as it's tasteful I think at least someone there could come to appreciate the variety we bring to the table, and on top of that unfair to give them the impression that we aren't creative enough in our own right to take inspiration from the show on a level more then just remixes directly from the show.

This. Plus some of us just don't remix the show. Like, at all.
Interrobang Pie

Postby Applejinx » 16 Oct 2011 09:32

Interrobang Pie wrote:
Derpy Hooves wrote:So long as it's tasteful I think at least someone there could come to appreciate the variety we bring to the table, and on top of that unfair to give them the impression that we aren't creative enough in our own right to take inspiration from the show on a level more then just remixes directly from the show.

This. Plus some of us just don't remix the show. Like, at all.

Yep. I wandered away from these parts because I'm not prolific enough and just didn't feel a part of- but I would hope I wasn't totally useless in this thing. If you wanted variety...
http://soundcloud.com/applejinx/were-on-to-somethin-good

Don't know if anyone else did a country song with lyrics and vocals, but I sure would like to be able to give a copy to Studio B. I love what they've done and are doing.
Applejinx

Postby MichaelA » 16 Oct 2011 14:44

Well, we also have the problem of how many CD's to burn.
------------------
My Youtube
^^ Go sub, yo!
MichaelA

Postby Interrobang Pie » 16 Oct 2011 15:13

mrpickle wrote:Well, we also have the problem of how many CD's to burn.

1 of each. Then they can make as many copies as they like.
Interrobang Pie

Postby MichaelA » 16 Oct 2011 15:32

Interrobang Pie wrote:

Then WHO would we send it to? The manager of Studio B? I don't want a random employee getting it.
------------------
My Youtube
^^ Go sub, yo!
MichaelA

Postby Interrobang Pie » 16 Oct 2011 15:40

mrpickle wrote:
Interrobang Pie wrote:

Then WHO would we send it to? The manager of Studio B? I don't want a random employee getting it.

We'll address it to Studio B, then attach a note saying that they can burn copies for anyone else in the team that wants one. If it's addressed to Studio B, Thiessen or whoever's in charge might be the first to open it.
Interrobang Pie

Postby ArtAttack » 16 Oct 2011 16:35

Personally, I'd either go for a CD by artist or CD by genre. That way, if they wanna hear chill-out, they get chill-out, and if they wanna hear dubstep, they get dubstep.
Name: Sam
DAW: FL Studio 10
Genre: French Electro, Electro House, Complextro, Dubstep
Current Projects:
SECOND ALBUM
BALLOON PARTY: Tourniqakes
Lots of remixes omg
ArtAttack

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: idiot mark

Postby PinkieGuy » 16 Oct 2011 17:35

ArtAttack wrote:Personally, I'd either go for a CD by artist or CD by genre. That way, if they wanna hear chill-out, they get chill-out, and if they wanna hear dubstep, they get dubstep.

Everyone just puts stuff on iTunes anyways, so i think this a bit of a moot point.
JackleApp wrote:THIS IS A HEINOUS ABUSE OF POWER BUT

YOUR MOD COMMANDS YOU
PinkieGuy

Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Whitetail » 16 Oct 2011 17:58

Yeah sending in a CD for each artist defeats the point of sending CDs at all
Whitetail

Postby General Mumble » 17 Oct 2011 04:20

I started reading this at uni and got distracted by actual work, so could anyone sum up in brief what sort of stage we are at? Ipie, did you get a group together on Skype? Cause, you know, I'd like to at least sit at watch what people decide to put in this thing.
Something, something, ponies.
Something, something, friendship.
General Mumble

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Poo

Postby Interrobang Pie » 17 Oct 2011 05:08

Each featured artist will only be getting one track, and as I've said before not everyone will be a featured artist. We won't be sending in an entire album by a single artist.

General Mumble wrote:I started reading this at uni and got distracted by actual work, so could anyone sum up in brief what sort of stage we are at? Ipie, did you get a group together on Skype? Cause, you know, I'd like to at least sit at watch what people decide to put in this thing.

Shit.

- I'm creating the Skype group of music pickers right now.
- When I return from school today, I'll get started on a Google Doc. I'll then send it to the Skype group at 11pm GMT (6pm EST) for discussion/edits/whatever else.
- Once we've decided on the track list, I'll disband the group and post the list here for final edits. If featured artists don't want to be featured, or want a different song to be featured for whatever reason, that's when they can give a shout.

This doesn't have to be done in 1 night, but we should try get it all done by Friday. That doesn't mean we can stall though (as I already have).
Interrobang Pie

Postby Interrobang Pie » 18 Oct 2011 05:06

>>> PROPOSED TRACK LIST <<<
Here you go. With the track list I've aimed for range as well as each artist's most popular tracks, or which pieces could leave the biggest impression.

Artists - if you really don't want your chosen track to be featured then give a shout and I'll change/remove it - keep in mind the above point though.

Non-featured artists? Sorry. If there is anyone vital within our community that you think I have forgotten, say something.

People marked with a <?> are those who are barely connected to MLR and as such should be asked or something.

Whatever. I'll leave it to you to discuss.

Now, who is going to make the album art? And who is going to ship it to whoever's organising it?
Interrobang Pie

Postby Tarby » 18 Oct 2011 05:20

i wouldn't go so far as to say i'm "vital" to the MLR community, but i wouldn't mind having a song of mine put on one of the CD's. Also, as KOR said in the chat, it's really electronic-heavy. I understand that the brony music community, specifically MLR is predominantly Electronic artists, but a bit more diversity might go over better with the people we're sending this to.

Also, merging the last two segments of the list is a good idea, since the fandom stems from the show anyway.
Hahaha I don't even go on here anymore
Seriously hit me up on skype or something, I'm rarely if ever online here.
Tarby

Postby X-Trav » 18 Oct 2011 05:55

I'm on not on the list so bias free opinions~

I personally would prefer EuroBeatBrony to have Luna(Dream Mode) as what's featured.
For Silva maybe Giggle At The Ghostly (Silva Hound vs. Jackle App Remix)

I also think there should be a little more variety as Tarby said.
Long time pianist and mediocrity extraordinaire.

Current Projects:
Manestream media
    EOE003
Call of The Crusaders
Album
X-Trav

Postby bartekko » 18 Oct 2011 07:10

ISMBOF? the great and powerful x20 ofc

also, For the new lunar republic is so popular, there's <0.4% chance that this song has not been heard by them, so I guess we should put something more hip, still from NACP tho'
Last edited by bartekko on 18 Oct 2011 07:12, edited 1 time in total.
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby Interrobang Pie » 18 Oct 2011 07:11

Tarby wrote:i wouldn't go so far as to say i'm "vital" to the MLR community, but i wouldn't mind having a song of mine put on one of the CD's.

Something Broke was on there, but we decided against, you know, sending in what is probably one of the worst parts of the fandom.

Tarby wrote: Also, as KOR said in the chat, it's really electronic-heavy. I understand that the brony music community, specifically MLR is predominantly Electronic artists, but a bit more diversity might go over better with the people we're sending this to.

I wanted more orchestral and rock things in there, but couldn't really remember any off the top of my head.

Tarby wrote:Also, merging the last two segments of the list is a good idea, since the fandom stems from the show anyway.

I'm still a little worried about this, cause then we have two rather unbalanced albums (9 to 20).

I'll continue to make edits to the list as people come to an agreement about something.
Interrobang Pie

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Discussion