Gifts for Studio B - Albums?!?!?!?!?

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

Gifts for Studio B - Albums?!?!?!?!?

Postby Interrobang Pie » 13 Oct 2011 16:21

So people are gathering up shit to give to Studio B - you know, the lot that does the pony shit.

We're a music community.

Why not burn a few CDs of our shit and send them in?!?!?!?! We could maybe use the attention...

Discuss.
Interrobang Pie wrote:>>> PROPOSED TRACK LIST <<<
Here you go. With the track list I've aimed for range as well as each artist's most popular tracks, or which pieces could leave the biggest impression.

Artists - if you really don't want your chosen track to be featured then give a shout and I'll change/remove it - keep in mind the above point though.

Non-featured artists? Sorry. If there is anyone vital within our community that you think I have forgotten, say something.

People marked with a <?> are those who are barely connected to MLR and as such should be asked or something.

Whatever. I'll leave it to you to discuss.

Now, who is going to make the album art? And who is going to ship it to whoever's organising it?

WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
We need to decide how to group each disc - by character? By genre? By artist name?
SOLUTION:
d.notive wrote:If you're going to chop it all up into "collections," perhaps here's a reasonable solution.

1 - Music that is, in some form, taken directly from the show, i.e. showcasing clips, remixes of songs from the show, fan covers, etc. etc.

2 - Music that is directly inspired from the show, like fan themes for mane characters, Luna Republic, etc. etc.

3 - Music that is based on/deals with the fandom, or tertiary characters that are only more prevalent because of the fandom ... Lyra, Derpy, and VinylScratch come to mind.

DISCUSSION:
Interrobang Pie wrote:Grouping by character would be a little awkward - there are loads of worthwhile songs (not limited to these) that aren't about any of the Mane 6, and then you've got songs that aren't about anypony in particular. And then what do you do for songs like this?

Of course, you've then got problems with dividing it up into genres. So, purely as an example, let's say we divide it up into Chill, Crazy, aCoustic. So where does this fit in?

The only really fair way of grouping it is by artist - alphabetical order. But of course, Studio B doesn't know who we are, and thus doesn't know what to expect - would they appreciate getting hit by a heavy song right after a chill one?

Who and what should get in?
Interrobang Pie wrote:Well, yes, obviously we can't include everyone. And we're not going to. It's as simple as that.

Interrobang Pie wrote:Even then you've got problems with who gets in and who doesn't. What is the definition of worthwhile? If we name this compilation under My Little Remix, what do we do about artists that aren't in our community (NotClever, SoGreat, RainbowCrash88...)?

Interrobang Pie wrote:I'll throw an elite team of music pickers into some private Skype group sometime soon - maybe tonight or tomorrow night. Afterwards I'll post the list here, yes.

Makkon wrote:Not many people enjoy literal ear-damaging decibel music. Just wanting to give them a gift that Studio B can appreciate as a whole.

Derpy Hooves wrote:So long as it's tasteful I think at least someone there could come to appreciate the variety we bring to the table, and on top of that unfair to give them the impression that we aren't creative enough in our own right to take inspiration from the show on a level more then just remixes directly from the show.

Album art?
Interrobang Pie wrote:Which reminds me - album art. Makkon threw a huge (2768*2582) vector of the MLR logo at me for use in the Remix War intermission thing, I'll go ahead and upload that here. I'd do the stuff myself, but I'm sure it'd be better left with some people with better Photoshopping/art skills than me. I'll leave the design up to you, and then I'll throw some tracks to list on the back when we're done.

Who will be burning/sending in the discs?

We need all the help we can get if this is going to work!!!
Last edited by Interrobang Pie on 18 Oct 2011 05:07, edited 10 times in total.
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie

Re: Gifts for Studio B - Albums?!?!?!?!?

Postby MichaelA » 13 Oct 2011 16:27

OR...
We can all make a song for them(or collab on a song), and burn it into a few albums to show them our thanks. I think it would mean more if we actually MAKE a song for them, as opposed to just compiling all of our already-made songs.

Just an idea, Though I like your idea as well.
------------------
My Youtube
^^ Go sub, yo!
MichaelA

Postby Overkillius » 13 Oct 2011 16:43

maybe this should be the next TB theme if we go with Mike's idea?
I'll hunt down Sci...
> Music Youtube! <
>>>> Tumblr! <<<<
Overkillius wrote:The bad thing about music... is that it is subjective.
The good thing about music... is that it is subjective!
Overkillius

Primary: Reaper, Famitracker
Cutie Mark: #9 Chords

Postby d.notive » 13 Oct 2011 16:47

mrpickle wrote:OR...
We can all make a song for them(or collab on a song), and burn it into a few albums to show them our thanks. I think it would mean more if we actually MAKE a song for them, as opposed to just compiling all of our already-made songs.

Just an idea, Though I like your idea as well.

I had the same thought.

In the spirit of "We are the world." :roll:
d.notive is Matt Larson & <other insert vocalist>

DAW: Sonar 6 P.E.

<SilvaHound> I CAN'T SLEEP AT NIGHT KNOWING THAT THERE'S SOMEPONY OUT THERE WHO KNOWS HIS DISCO MORE THAN I
d.notive

Postby sci » 13 Oct 2011 16:54

Overkillius wrote:maybe this should be the next TB theme

well, if I did this, I'd make it run alongside the regular Toast Beard stuff (after all, episode responses start back in a few days).
But this is something I can do, sure.

Or rather, that's a possibility.

I'm not making anything until we decide on what we're doing with this. ;)
sci

Primary: OpenMPT
Cutie Mark: Sampling

Postby bartekko » 13 Oct 2011 16:56

d.notive wrote:
mrpickle wrote:words

more words

how about a whole album for them, opening with a mlp theme remix by everypony?
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby ismbof » 13 Oct 2011 17:00

Maybe some of the songs could be fan made Mane 6 Themes? I'm in the process of making a Rarity themed song right now. I think one of my best song so far!
ismbof

Postby bartekko » 13 Oct 2011 17:03

ismbof wrote:Maybe some of the songs could be fan made Mane 6 Themes? I'm in the process of making a Rarity themed song right now. I think one of my best song so far!

aw come on, I was about to do the same....
bartekko

Postby MichaelA » 13 Oct 2011 17:16

ismbof wrote:I'm in the process of making a Rarity themed song right now.

and I'm currently working on a Twilight song ;)

But if we go with my idea, then it's up to everypony as to what they want their songs to be like. I don't think we need like 20 songs about each character. Just doing what you want to do is probably better imo.
------------------
My Youtube
^^ Go sub, yo!
MichaelA

Postby ismbof » 13 Oct 2011 17:19

actually scratch my other post. I making one themed about friendship right now that'll probably work better for this album.
ismbof

Postby Whitetail » 13 Oct 2011 17:40

That would be awesome if we sent studio B basically a sampler of all we have to offer (the whole album thing). If we could do a "Best of" type of compilation, we could send in multiple CDs spanning the many genres of music we have covered with ponies and in the process have each artist have their best piece find it's way into the ears of those who started it all.
Whitetail

Postby X-Trav » 13 Oct 2011 17:44

Derpy Hooves wrote:That would be awesome if we sent studio B basically a sampler of all we have to offer (the whole album thing). If we could do a "Best of" type of compilation, we could send in multiple CDs spanning the many genres of music we have covered with ponies and in the process have each artist have their best piece find it's way into the ears of those who started it all.

This.
Long time pianist and mediocrity extraordinaire.

Current Projects:
Manestream media
    EOE003
Call of The Crusaders
Album
X-Trav

Postby bartekko » 13 Oct 2011 17:47

Derpy Hooves wrote:words

Great idea! one CD- orchestral, four CD's - techno/dubstep/house, one CD- rock/metal one CD- other stuff.
plus one megacollab, elements of harmony style
bartekko

Postby ismbof » 13 Oct 2011 18:00

Should we just make a special song for this album or one we've made already? I'm likin' the divided genre cds thing. We're sending only one song, right?
ismbof

Postby Interrobang Pie » 13 Oct 2011 18:10

One song per brony yes.

I like the idea of using the best that we've already made - it saves time and effort (plus musical ability comes to me purely accidentally anyway). And if we assume that Studio B has heard none of our music, then even our oldest piece will be new to them. That said, you might want to remaster your tracks.

A smart idea would be to use your most acclaimed song, or maybe we could have a small voting round if you're stuck for choices.

The divided genre CD was what I had in mind also. I think we ought to wait to see what we get submitted before we divide it up.
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie

Postby bartekko » 13 Oct 2011 18:17

Interrobang Pie wrote: That said, you might want to remaster your tracks.

I might have to "remake" as i lost the original files of most my songs in a horrible accident.

scratch that, imma make a whole new song
bartekko

Postby Supersaw Hoover » 13 Oct 2011 23:49

I will make "gPrOeWaEtRaFnUdL (ExTeNdEd MiX)" for this
Supersaw Hoover

Postby Aussie » 13 Oct 2011 23:50

Supersaw Hoover wrote:I will make "gPrOeWaEtRaFnUdL (ExTeNdEd MiX)" for this

Send them Discord. <33333333
Aussie

Postby d.notive » 14 Oct 2011 01:41

Part of the problem that I see, is the sheer quantity of stuff that could be/should be included.

Also, you'll want this to represent the community at its best, which (in my mind), inevitably leaves some ponies out, because, let's be honest, not everypony is going to be mindblowingly amazing. That's what makes communities like this great -- we have peo--err ponies of all skill levels all seeking and giving input so that we can all improve. The problem is, with such a disparity in skill level, how do you leave some work out tactfully AND/OR include the artists with room to grow while still showcasing the community's best work?

For the record: this is not me trying to be mean (as it stands I have nothing particularly of worth to contribute to this project myself), I'm just trying to consider some of the holes that could be poked through this idea.

Thoughts?
d.notive is Matt Larson & <other insert vocalist>

DAW: Sonar 6 P.E.

<SilvaHound> I CAN'T SLEEP AT NIGHT KNOWING THAT THERE'S SOMEPONY OUT THERE WHO KNOWS HIS DISCO MORE THAN I
d.notive

Postby bartekko » 14 Oct 2011 01:59

d.notive wrote: The problem is, with such a disparity in skill level, how do you leave some work out tactfully AND/OR include the artists with room to grow while still showcasing the community's best work?

Thoughts?

commercial LP's style: bests first
bartekko

Postby Makkon » 14 Oct 2011 02:39

d.notive wrote:Part of the problem that I see, is the sheer quantity of stuff that could be/should be included.

Also, you'll want this to represent the community at its best, which (in my mind), inevitably leaves some ponies out, because, let's be honest, not everypony is going to be mindblowingly amazing. That's what makes communities like this great -- we have peo--err ponies of all skill levels all seeking and giving input so that we can all improve. The problem is, with such a disparity in skill level, how do you leave some work out tactfully AND/OR include the artists with room to grow while still showcasing the community's best work?

For the record: this is not me trying to be mean (as it stands I have nothing particularly of worth to contribute to this project myself), I'm just trying to consider some of the holes that could be poked through this idea.

Thoughts?

I've neglected posting in this thread because that was my main concern. Perhaps the question is: what will Studio B appreciate hearing from us? It's not just quality, it's also content. Doubt they'll want to hear profane rap, or any sort of ear-rape volume; I dare say entire genres ought to be excluded. If this is going to be a gift to them, it needs to be a THOUGHTFUL gift. Something that they'll enjoy.
This isn't about us, or our pride, or showing off. It's for them. They've given only their best to us, so it should be only our best for them.

With that being said, yes. Not every composer here is on the same technical or artistic level. No idea how to solve that issue with out hurting someone's feelings.
youtube | deviantart | tumblr

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby bartekko » 14 Oct 2011 03:08

Makkon wrote:good words

This forum has 200+ registered users, while those that actually are active (I might take up ) count up to 50 of those who participate in remix wars and toastbread compos. there's 75 users that have never posted anything, and so I think that if we limit the amount of songs to one per composer, it will make a very nice set of max 7 cd's, considering a single song will be cut to about 3:30 it goes to cd audio...

100 composers X 3:30 minutes = 330 minutes of music,
330 minutes of music : 72 minutes per cd... fits into five cd'd with free space

but that's quite a lot. anyway, 5:30 hours of pony music, it IS a lot, even if not for the physical quantity problems, it's still a lot of music.
so, maybe we'll cut down the single song length down to circuitfried 2:30? 100 X 2:30= 230 minutes of pony music, sounds a bit better.

BUT we never had 100 remix war entries, IV had less than 75, with about 2 entries per person

so we may quite fairly fit in three cd's, and that is a nice deal already.
especially if we all disregard extended intros/outros <coughastarnomorecough> and condense our music to the three minute limit

it's quite easy for example to condense long build up's by simply adding instruments each bar, not 8 bars, if it is possible.

our songs should all be enjoyable from the very beginning to very end. I still wouldn't know how awesome is makkon's "wwu late again" if I didn't decide to skip half the song to see if it built up somehow. hiding the best is good for whole albums by one person/band: like rammstein's "reise reise" has a few super catchy songs like "amerika" and few that never get old, but need some time for people to start appreciating them, like "keine lust" or "amour"

condensing the whole post in a single sentence: RUSHED ENTRY GOGOGO
bartekko

Postby Interrobang Pie » 14 Oct 2011 04:06

Well, yes, obviously we can't include everyone. And we're not going to. It's as simple as that.

More on this when I return from my one lesson at school today. Watch this space.
Interrobang Pie

Postby Supersaw Hoover » 14 Oct 2011 20:23

Makkon wrote:Doubt they'll want to hear [...] any sort of ear-rape volume; I dare say entire genres ought to be excluded.

Well now that's just being subjective~
Supersaw Hoover

Postby sci » 14 Oct 2011 21:19

tossing this in the fire:

four CDs.
one for each of the mane 6 IN PAIRS, with genres grouped according to personality (energetic = RBD and pinkie pie, sleepy space ambient whatever = Fluttershy and Twilight, etc)

fourth CD is Discord, for whatever Supersaw Hoover and PinkieCake make.
</thought>
sci

Primary: OpenMPT
Cutie Mark: Sampling

Next

Return to Off-Topic Discussion