Share your inspiration!

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

Re: Share your inspiration!

Postby Pinkie Cake » 05 Jul 2011 12:56

Different type of inspiration then the others :lol:
http://www.austinkleon.com/2011/03/30/how-to-steal-like-an-artist-and-9-other-things-nobody-told-me/
This text allways inspires me to do something! I read it once or twice a year and it keeps me going.
Pinkie Cake

Postby Versilaryan » 05 Jul 2011 13:23

Oh, wow, that is an excellent article. I'm definitely bookmarking this and showing it to all my friends.
Versilaryan

Postby aap998 » 10 Jul 2011 05:48

bonobo is amazing. all of his music is godly and very inspirational, I can listen all day long.
aap998

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 10 Jul 2011 08:26

aap998 wrote:bonobo is amazing. all of his music is godly and very inspirational, I can listen all day long.

Oh wow, that was really nice! Thanks for putting it up here!

I'm going to put my top 5 classical pieces, that are also inspiration! In no particular order:

Stravinsky's "The Rite of Spring!" It is an absolute gob smacking piece that everyone needs to listen to at least once! It will change your LIFE! :P

Grisey's "Partiels" (1975)! An amazing piece, this is the piece that made me want to write really experimental stuff! It is what's called Spectral Music, which will take ages to explain properly...so if people want to know, I will explain at a later stage...

Vivier's "Lonely Child" (1980)! I love this piece because it just seems to float through time, it's not held down by any kind of noticeable form...that and it's beautiful!

Czernowin's "Dam Sheon Hachol" (1992)! I've only known about this piece for 2 months, but I've been studying it properly for 1 month and it is a fascinating piece! I adore the raw power behind it!

Adams' "On the Transmigration of Souls" (2002)! This piece had me close to tears about halfway through, it's the saddest piece I've ever heard...it's based on 9/11 and what people posted on a 'Missing' bulletin board near the disaster, asking for help. It also has quotes from people at the memorial...so sad...

Anyway, have fun everyone!!!
Tubeyou
You are the hero My Little Remix deserves, not the one it needs.
So we’ll hunt you. Because you can take it. Because you’re not our hero.
You’re a silent guardian of music, a watchful protector of songs.
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby Interrobang Pie » 10 Jul 2011 09:04

I recently discovered this:

GAME BOY GUITAR SOLO AWWWW YEAH
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie

Postby DerpyGrooves » 10 Jul 2011 09:44

The cat could play 3 horns AT ONCE. This is the guy that inspired me to get into wind instruments.
"Had you played some free jazz to ninety five per cent of the people who had made 'Take Five' a smash, they would have run for cover behind the latest release by Pat Boone." - The Timelords
DerpyGrooves

Postby Whitetail » 10 Jul 2011 10:48

Hahahaha stylophone
Now that's the instrument of choice for the cool cat
Whitetail

Postby Bagpipe Brony » 10 Jul 2011 19:31

I skipped some pages so I apologize if some of this has been posted already.
But damn! I feel so... ordinary. You guys all have really diverse tastes and way out there music and I'm just a simple orchestral and rock fan. I feel dumb.
So it should be known that my mom raised me to be a metal-head being one herself back in the 80s. (I love you mummy xD) KISS, Motley Crue, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Black Sabbath and Guns n Roses were my lullabies.
Anyway, I first knew music was gonna be a "thing" for me back when I heard this tune in the Sega Genesis version of "Batman Returns" [youtube] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53E4OZxX ... re=related[/youtube]
then later when I could actually play video games, I loved all of the ethnic inspired music from the Street Fighter 2 game. I remember Vega and Cammy's themes the best so I think I really liked them.

Fast forward many years later till I started to (attempt to) write music
I love Malice Mizer and Moi Dix Moix's infusion of baroque classical music with heavy metal(more of Moi Dix Mois). Seeing as I am a huge fan of Bach. You will hear this kinda thing a lot when I post a discography.

This is essentially modern Baroque music (lol contradiction much?)

(This song sealed the deal w/ Harpsichord Fuges)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW_BJGSVWrs

After them, I was into Russian music and subsequently got into Cossack Dancing mainly folk stuff like Kalinka, katyusha, and Korobeiniki.
THEN I had a huge epiphany where I knew I wanted to be a film music composer for a living when I heard this film cue by John Powell
It is much better in context.
Now I'm kinda into folk metal and this lead me to play bagpipes and ethnic flutes.
Eluveitie, Saltatio Mortis, and In Extremo are the best in this field.
Best song ever

Gods of Bagpipes IMHO

So yeah, sorry for posting a lot of stuff ^^; everyone else was doing it, so I jumped on the bandwagon xD
Of course, now Pony music runs my life lol. Thanks guys!
Last edited by Bagpipe Brony on 10 Jul 2011 19:47, edited 2 times in total.
~Our resident Bagpipe Playing, too-much-bling wearing, Smirnoff drinking, Coca Cola addicted, rockstar-wannabe, Glam Brony.
-Stuck in the 80's since 1989
Projects lined up:
-CMC Baroque techno remix
-Rarity's Battle theme
O__o lame sig...
Bagpipe Brony

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 10 Jul 2011 19:37

Bagpipe Brony wrote:This is essential modern Baroque music (lol contradiction much?)

Heh, that was awesome!

I was going to post a video of one of Schnittke's concerto grosso's for modern Baroque, but I already did on page 2! Go there for a different take on the style of Baroque!
Tubeyou
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby Bagpipe Brony » 10 Jul 2011 19:55

Dr_Dissonance wrote:
Bagpipe Brony wrote:This is essential modern Baroque music (lol contradiction much?)

Heh, that was awesome!

I was going to post a video of one of Schnittke's concerto grosso's for modern Baroque, but I already did on page 2! Go there for a different take on the style of Baroque!

Check it I shall!
And that embed worked for you? I had to change the link to make it work.
~Our resident Bagpipe Playing, too-much-bling wearing, Smirnoff drinking, Coca Cola addicted, rockstar-wannabe, Glam Brony.
Projects lined up:
-Rarity's Battle theme
O__o lame sig...
Bagpipe Brony

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 10 Jul 2011 23:12

Bagpipe Brony wrote:Check it I shall!
And that embed worked for you? I had to change the link to make it work.

Yeah, worked fine on my end!
Tubeyou
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby Bagpipe Brony » 10 Jul 2011 23:19

Well I checked it out and the only part I like was the intro to the Harpsi. ^^; I don't think I'm very big on too modern I'm afraid. (Sorry about that really, I know it's kinda your thing.) As far as baroque goes, I like the old fashioned, super aristocratic feel to it. which means it has to be over the top with fast fuges. It's like Shredding guitar from Bach's day! 8D
Projects lined up:
-Rarity's Battle theme
O__o lame sig...
Bagpipe Brony

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 10 Jul 2011 23:26

Bagpipe Brony wrote:Well I checked it out and the only part I like was the intro to the Harpsi. ^^; I don't think I'm very big on too modern I'm afraid. (Sorry about that really, I know it's kinda your thing.) As far as baroque goes, I like the old fashioned, super aristocratic feel to it. which means it has to be over the top with fast fuges. It's like Shredding guitar from Bach's day! 8D

Ha that's fine, it seems to be an acquired taste! I just thought I'd mention it! :)
Tubeyou
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby NotACleverPony » 11 Jul 2011 00:39

In my devart I acknowledged these 3 musical influences - Keep in mind, these are all synth-oriented. Yes, they are all extremely emo, but I was young and impressionable. Please forgive my angsty teenage self. Keep in mind I also listened to punk, metal and LOTS of video game music, movie soundtracks, industrial and ebm. I'm just saying these kind of approximate my own work as far as I can tell.
---
The Birthday Massacre: I love their melodies and their synthwork. Unfortunately, after a few albums it gets highly formulaic.

Imperative Reaction: Big fan, kind of emo. But the synthwork is fantastic. Suffers from being very formulaic as well.

Dismantled: Not formulaic. Not crazy about the vocals, but I love his arrangements and his use of SFX. I'm not sure if it qualifies as industrial or aggrotech. Emotionally, its somewhere between jaded as hell and pissed off.

NotACleverPony

Postby Bagpipe Brony » 11 Jul 2011 11:42

You like EMB and Industrial too? 8D yay!
My favorite acts of the genres are: And One, Blut Engel/terminal choice, Eisenfunk, nachtmahr, and X-rx
Projects lined up:
-Rarity's Battle theme
O__o lame sig...
Bagpipe Brony

Postby Versilaryan » 18 Jul 2011 16:13

Among random others, my biggest influences have to be these four here.

Modern classical music!

Charles Ives' Fourth Symphony is an /amazing/ example of how you can have dissonance and harmony together to create a really cool effect. When it calms down after the huge climax, it's tonal, but sounds atonal at the same time. ._.

A Child's Garden of Dreams, mvt. IV: A drop of water is seen as if through a microscope. The girl sees that the drop is full of tree branches. This portrays the origin of the world. by David Maslanka
That man can do amazing things with color and tambre.

And some jazz!
Freak In by Dave Douglas
This is the song that got me interested in electronic music in the first place. Definitely among Douglas' most interesting works.

The Brecker Brothers do a great job of mixing hard rock, funk, bebop jazz, and avant-garde chord structures, and still making it sound AMAZING.

Sorry for the two random Grooveshark links. I can't find good recordings of either on Youtube. ._.
Versilaryan

Postby Bagpipe Brony » 18 Jul 2011 21:22

I just got into some European folk/ medieval style music of sorts. You will see this all up and down in my entry for the remix war.

More Celtic:

More Medieval:
Projects lined up:
-Rarity's Battle theme
O__o lame sig...
Bagpipe Brony

Postby FoozogzPepperBrony » 22 Jul 2011 17:59

When I took piano lessons/guitar lessons/choir, the basics of music turned me melody-driven. I can make harmony in an instant. They were also how I listened to a bit of classical/baroque(idk how to spell that) and how the composers let their music flow from their passion.

That being said, most slow repetitive music bores me, but a choir piece once in a while is heaven to my ears.

DDR was always a good source for me as well as videogame music.

I used to listen to SUM41 and other punk crap.

In highschool, I've listened to MSI and Renard.

I've listened to a bit of Pendulum.

Right now, I'm listening to more DDR/Jubeat/Miku/Japanese DJs

^This is one of the reasons I've created a similar heavy boom sound in my sound library.

Jazz Jackrabbit? You guys are awesome.
DAW: Ableton
HELLO, OLD FRIENDS~
FoozogzPepperBrony

Postby Bagpipe Brony » 23 Jul 2011 01:14

Ya know, it seems since my most popular pieces have been symphonic metal, I should post what inspired me to write them in the first place:

Hooray for sharing music! xp
Projects lined up:
-Rarity's Battle theme
O__o lame sig...
Bagpipe Brony

Postby Pinkie Cake » 23 Jul 2011 04:15

FoozogzPepperBrony wrote:I used to listen to SUM41 and other punk crap.
In highschool, I've listened to MSI and Renard.
I've listened to a bit of Pendulum.
Right now, I'm listening to more DDR/Jubeat/Miku/Japanese DJs
Jazz Jackrabbit? You guys are awesome.
We sure have so much in common :D

And how could I have forgotten Amon Tobin?

That's it music's over, go home guys!
Well at least for me this is musical perfection! And I can't think of anything greater than this.
Pinkie Cake

Postby Aussie » 24 Jul 2011 00:40

My inspirations are retarded, but here we go:

Laidback Luke is the man guilty of making me wanna start producing music. There hasn't been anything by him I haven't loved.

Skrillex is a fucking awesome producer. Whenever I hear his stuff, I wonder "shit, how did he do that?".

And don't get me started on Mord Fustang. Dude's only 18, and he's already making some amazing stuff. Makes me wonder if I can get just as good as him by the time I hit that age?

Aussie

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 24 Jul 2011 00:54

I'm going to add that I'm also a huge fan of as deathly a metal you can get!

Especially metal that goes through irregular aspects of music (time sig, key, etc)

LOVE The Red Chord!

LOVE Aeon!

LOVE Meshuggah!

I get my ideas for rhythm from both metal and classical, which makes things interesting...
That is all...
Tubeyou
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby Bagpipe Brony » 24 Jul 2011 02:27

is it w/ all this metal band-time signature crazyness? I mean it's different but I personally fail to see what is so entrancing about it. Then again, I'm not too big on metal I suppose ^^;.
Projects lined up:
-Rarity's Battle theme
O__o lame sig...
Bagpipe Brony

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 24 Jul 2011 02:37

Bagpipe Brony wrote:is it w/ all this metal band-time signature crazyness? I mean it's different but I personally fail to see what is so entrancing about it. Then again, I'm not too big on metal I suppose ^^;.

Ha, well when other people get a sense of happiness from pure tonal chords, I get happy when I hear dissonant chords! More down to earth metal I don't particularly like, it's only bands which leave the norm that I like! Especially when they have nice, dissonant riffs...

And I guess it's more the raw energy produced, rather than the music that entices me so...
But I like a lot of things that others don't, so I guess it's all relative...:P
Tubeyou
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby Whitetail » 25 Jul 2011 10:11

Dr_Dissonance wrote:Ha, well when other people get a sense of happiness from pure tonal chords, I get happy when I hear dissonant chords! More down to earth metal I don't particularly like, it's only bands which leave the norm that I like! Especially when they have nice, dissonant riffs...

Math and Prog Metal is best Metal!
(Much like Twilight is best poni)

I just love the use of odd time signatures, it really lets you break away from the traditional expected sound, it's really inspiring to hear irregular and odd rhythms that would look as if they make no sense on paper sound great in sound.

What I've noticed with odd time signatures is that if you repeat a rhythm enough times, as odd and abstract as it may be, you can get yourself to "feel it" even though 4 4 is supposed to be the only time signature humans naturally feel. While it may sound odd or even surprising on the first run, you'll fall into the groove after a few repetitions. You just have to stay consistent with the groove and you'll be able to feel it.

-----------------------------

I've more recently found Venetian Snares, but his work is quite inspiring to me:

Whitetail

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Discussion