The hugging/venting thread

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

Re: The hugging/venting thread

Postby Ed Viper » 10 May 2012 21:34

Kyoga wrote:XD that just suuucks. I would advise finding a different spot to park your car! lol.
but really, the cops around my hood are just horrible. They pretty much never leave my neighborhood, and honestly I just wish they would give us our privacy back. =/

Well the thing is, I was parked in two different spots, since it happened two days in a row. I've found a lot that apparently I'm allowed to park in, so that's all good.

But seriously, I've been parking in that other lot for practically the whole school year! Why wait until spring quarter to give me a fracking ticket! Ughhh. They're $40 a pop, too. I was SOOOOO close to having enough money for an mpk mini... *sniff sniff* T_T
Soundcloud
Tumblr

If you ever need someone to talk to -

That's all I got right now.
Ed Viper

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Charlie Sheen

Postby Trillionage » 12 May 2012 08:31

Last year i got a ticket for riding my bike on the sidewalk (it's apparently illegal in NYC). The ticket was i think 75 bucks. I feel ya EMP. But its always good to head the words of Jesus Christ, Lord and saviour:

Trillionage

Postby Magnitude Zero » 12 May 2012 11:31

AMEN.
Formerly known as Blind

DAW: FL Studio 10
Style: Chill/Downtempo

Soundcloud | Youtube | Tumblr
Magnitude Zero

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: Horse butt not large enough

Postby Codeum » 18 May 2012 04:48

Well that hurt me a lot. It's really making me consider following PPS and leave this piece of crap fandom.
Codeum

Postby Freewave » 18 May 2012 06:57

Codeum wrote:Image

Well that hurt me a lot. It's really making me consider following PPS and leave this piece of crap fandom.

I just read that and I have no idea what you two are privately talking about and how that relates to the mlp fanbase, nor why that would make you want to "leave this piece of crap fandom." I really don't know how to react to this so now that you have our attention, can you care to explain?
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby bartekko » 18 May 2012 10:22

Don't worry, be gay.
I don't really see why one or two assholes would make you leave the fandom. I mean, there are assholes in real life. Do they make you want to "leave this piece of crap life"? And PPS didn't really leave this fandom, did he? He still seems kinda involved on tumblr. http://pinkiepieswear.tumblr.com/post/2 ... did-i-miss
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby Ed Viper » 18 May 2012 10:37

bartekko wrote: And PPS didn't really leave this fandom, did he? He still seems kinda involved on tumblr. http://pinkiepieswear.tumblr.com/post/2 ... did-i-miss

No, I'm pretty sure he didn't. He still seems rather involved, actually, just not as often as he used to be (which happens with everybody, I'm sure. The crazy fanboy "AAAAAHHH MLP" phase dies down in everyone eventually).

Also, codeum, how old IS this guy? You're having an argument about something and he decides to take the route of ad hominem and personally attack you on your level of attractiveness?

Sounds like a true 12 year-old to me. Don't get too worked up over it.
Soundcloud
Tumblr

If you ever need someone to talk to -

That's all I got right now.
Ed Viper

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Charlie Sheen

Postby Freewave » 18 May 2012 13:19

^ all good advice ^
Freewave

Postby Magnitude Zero » 18 May 2012 13:50

I don't know what happened before that screenshot, but if he resorted to "insulting" your sexuality without any sort of provocation, then he's probably not worth worrying about. However, responding to him was probably not the greatest idea. Someone like that - someone who, out of the blue, just goes and insults you - is not worth your time. Arguing with a troll will never end well. But hindsight's 20-20, and it's not worth getting worked up over regardless.

This all based on the assumption that he's the one who initiated the... let's call it an argument. If that's not the case, then, well, I don't know what to tell you.
Formerly known as Blind

DAW: FL Studio 10
Style: Chill/Downtempo

Soundcloud | Youtube | Tumblr
Magnitude Zero

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: Horse butt not large enough

Postby Codeum » 18 May 2012 14:40

He wasn't trolling me for the sake of trolling, he hates my guts because of a long complicated story that leads to half of the bronies in arizona hating my guts for no reason.
Codeum

Postby Codeum » 18 May 2012 16:32

I was never hostile to anyone unless they started it. I never did anything to them. all the bad shit i say is in retaliation to being made fun of and insulted.
Codeum

Postby Navron » 18 May 2012 17:01

If you really want some solid advice, you gotta share the whole story. We need context.

What facebook group are you referring to? Which one is he referring to? What did you do that got you kicked out of their group? What did you do to get half the bronies of Arizona go against you?

Without the background to this, we really can't give any advice. For all things considered, you could have done virtually nothing, and these guys are just a-holes lashing out at you, or you could have ended up doing something big that embarrassed them as a whole, and when confronted about it, you lashed out at them, and they lashed back.

We're not ones to judge you for what you may have done or not, but if I were to hazard a guess, it sounds like you were the instigator. Seeing comments such as, "I saw what you did in my group, and what you said to Grae, a close friend of mine," doesn't paint the picture well in your favor, as those aren't normal responses from people hating for the sake of hating.

So please consider giving us the full details. Once again, we really can't offer any advice on a situation that lacks context.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby inkBot » 18 May 2012 17:08

Navy and Kyoga posted while I was writing my post. You ninjas!
Like Navy said, without context we can't really say much more, and I won't speculate on the situation.

My post:
Actually, whether or not he/they started it, reacting with hostility will almost invariably lead down a bad path. No matter how justified you might feel when lashing out, it will more often than not make things worse, because they got you mad and that makes it more fun. So the more you lash out, the more they will insult you to get a rise out of you, and will escalate the insults to boot.

I know it's probably not want you want to hear but don't let them/it get to you. Without knowing the details of the situation that's probably the best reply we can give, and it's totally understandable if you don't want to give the explanation.

If the fandom makes you feel uncomfortable, (and that is you personally, not their opinion of "you"), then maybe the fandom isn't your thing. But let me ask you this. What does leaving the fandom accomplish? They already got to you. The damage is already done. If you leave something you enjoy because someone else made you feel bad because of what you enjoy, then they "won".

But that doesn't really adress the issues you have with the Arizona brony community though.
inkBot

Postby Codeum » 18 May 2012 17:13

NavyBrony wrote:

If you really want some solid advice, you gotta share the whole story. We need context.

What facebook group are you referring to? Which one is he referring to? What did you do that got you kicked out of their group? What did you do to get half the bronies of Arizona go against you?

Without the background to this, we really can't give any advice. For all things considered, you could have done virtually nothing, and these guys are just a-holes lashing out at you, or you could have ended up doing something big that embarrassed them as a whole, and when confronted about it, you lashed out at them, and they lashed back.

We're not ones to judge you for what you may have done or not, but if I were to hazard a guess, it sounds like you were the instigator. Seeing comments such as, "I saw what you did in my group, and what you said to Grae, a close friend of mine," doesn't paint the picture well in your favor, as those aren't normal responses from people hating for the sake of hating.

So please consider giving us the full details. Once again, we really can't offer any advice on a situation that lacks context.

Somebody from the facebook group Bronies of Pheonix gave me a job offer. I missed the interview because I made a mistake, as all humans do. I tried to tell him I was sorry, but he wouldn't accept my apology.he hates me forever now.

Puzzle Plate yelled at me for posting something harmless, and non pony. saying something like "this isn't your personal blog" now I would understand that if I had been spamming the group with nonpony posts, but I had only given one. not to mention, he was acting incredibly childish about it and not giving me a straight answer. shortly after, he deleted a link I shared to a new track I made and denied doing it. It was fucked up, so I left the group to cool off.

I went to a brony meetup a week later, things seemed good I stayed with the same three people the whole night. It made me decide to rejoin the group. Nobody informed me of any objections. I start talking with someone on the group, we start having fun, being playful. I posted a suggestive image as a joke. it was nothing more than implied. NOTHING nsfw was shown. 2 days later, I'm banned. no warning, no reason.

I start to dig. I ask one of the admins, Grae, what happened. He told me that they mods were banning me because I was being disrespectful to them and other members both on the group and in real life at meetups. He claimed that I was disrespectful to him at a meetup, when I had never met him outside of facebook. one other member defended me, saying I was never disrespectful. I read the rules and paraphrased them to point out that I hadn't broken any rules. Despite all the evidence I had backing me up, and calling out the vague accusations I was being assaulted with, Grae stated that all the mods were in agreement that I should be permanently banned. the issue with puzzle definitely influenced the ban.

So i got angry with Grae, said things I probably shouldnt have said, but I don't take negativity well. all the hate and accusations building up over that week was too much for me.

And then as if to kick me in the face, Grae said; "the ban is permanent. I hope you find another group thats worthy of a great person like you."
That was complete and total sarcasm and I lost it at that point. threw some profanity around and blocked him.

Then I find bronies of Arizona group.

I join thinking somehow it will be different, and immediately have my guard up. they calmed me down, made me admin, and things stayed like that for a couple days. then that noah kid came out of nowhere and had to resurface everything that happened to me. he tore the wounds right back open and poured salt into them.

And that's all I know about the situation.
Codeum

Postby Codeum » 18 May 2012 17:33

If I were boasting about it, I'd be shoving it down everyone's throats at every turn. I don't do that. it was one small sentence in a huge thread. its not boasting, it's stating a fact and moving on. my logic was that it is a credential that sets me apart from some random person that gives his opinion on your music. it's credibility. its a reason for people to say "that guy knows what he's doing" The music industry is a hard and cold business in which you need to sell yourself strongly and not just say "oh hey, my opinion matters because I think it does." That doesn't fly when you're trying to get work.
Codeum

Postby Freewave » 18 May 2012 18:37

Again though you're part of a community that full of musicians. There 's no need to put yourself out there as more important than others or somehow better. By all means you can and should contribute to helping pass along your knowledge to make fellow bronies better. After all that is what this site is about. That is a good thing but don't don't couple that with such a sense of hubris. Again bringing up your affiliation with Omnipony on every opportunity (and often not in a postive way) is a really poor idea. Ultimately you are what you project to other people and you have had a level of drama come in since you've joined. We want you to turn that around but that's ultimately your choice. Our feedback is designed to help you make that correct decision.

There is always a split between a musician's skills, their ideas, and their personality. I've seen some amazing musicians been very unimaginative with their music, some creative people not make the greatest sounding tracks, and some brilliant musicians with really bad social personalities. Ultimnately we are all bronies and should be given the benefit of the doubt. Ultimately you may be a solid musician but you really need to decide what type of a person you want to be. Please work on your approach and how you interact with others and try to look at ways to be more positive as a person in how you react with others and ways to not repeat past issues. :|
Freewave

Postby Codeum » 18 May 2012 19:14

none of this is really relevent to the argument. I don't care how horrible I am at communicating, it doesnt make a good loving person like me into a disrespectful scumbag that does nothing but hurt others. They just don't translate over. You guys say I have drama and I'm not good at it, but none of you despise me. they are over reacting and I'm paying the price.
Codeum

Postby Navron » 18 May 2012 19:28

Codeum wrote:If I were boasting about it, I'd be shoving it down everyone's throats at every turn. I don't do that. it was one small sentence in a huge thread. its not boasting, it's stating a fact and moving on. my logic was that it is a credential that sets me apart from some random person that gives his opinion on your music. it's credibility. its a reason for people to say "that guy knows what he's doing" The music industry is a hard and cold business in which you need to sell yourself strongly and not just say "oh hey, my opinion matters because I think it does." That doesn't fly when you're trying to get work.

Alright, I think I have enough to go by, so prepare for wall-o-text.

First off, let's look at that sentence I bolded above, and put it with some context. From our point of view, here's a musician that came here recently, that, while produces good music, posted several examples of work to get more honest feedback (aka, a musician just like the rest of us that's still learning). Then later on this same musician that's asking for feedback basically states that they are more knowledgeable because they helped a popular musician.

Basically, it comes across as, "Hey guys, I need your help, but if you need help, ask me because I know more." It doesn't make much sense, and rubs off the wrong way.

In regards to your original situation with the facebook group, I think I've read enough of your former posts to help me visualize a good deal of how it all added up.

From just your posts here, the critique thread, the backstory, and the image, I can certainly see you do not take any form of negative criticism well. Which is why I am trying to put this in the least confronting way possible.

Deep down, I think you hold yourself to a low esteem, which leads you to take any form of criticism much harsher than another person, which is something I'm not a stranger to. You build up your esteem only to have the first negative comment crash it back down.

A couple other reasons why I think this may be the case:
- 1. People with lower self-esteem usually end up 2 ways. It either causes them to remain passive, for fear of a negative reaction, or they attempt to build themselves up higher by pointing out their strengths and why they are better in those areas.
- 2. People with low self-esteem generally end up telling falsehoods or overly stating whatever truths there are to the story. Not trying to be mean here, but for example:

"How many women tell you you're super cute. I get it all the time."
"I want to put the skills I used to make omnipony popular to better use now that he no longer wants my advice."

So for my last (and believe me, I'm trying to be the least confronting as I can) statement on the background matter, I think you possibly got a couple nice remarks from women, and I think you probably helped omni with...one or 2 things.

It's the same thing haters do, because a lot of haters have very low self-esteem, and try to belittle others to build themselves up. So when a hater says, "Get a life virgin," chances are the hater is a virgin, because people who actually get laid don't give a damn about proving it to others. On the other hand, generally anybody that replies to the classic, "virgin," insult defensively, are likely virgins too, otherwise 99% of YouTubers under the age of 15 get laid all the time.

Alright, harsh part over. Hope you're still with me.

I had a coworker who had this exact same type of personality, and all of the sudden one day, he snapped out of it, but it took a lot of effort, on his part.

If I were to offer one piece of solid advice on this matter, here it is:

Stop caring.

Don't give a crap about what other people say. Don't give a crap about what I say. Most importantly, don't give a crap about what your own esteem says, because when it comes to ourselves, we're our own worst critics, in every aspect of our lives.

Don't make yourself your own #1 enemy. Your #1 enemy is that little voice inside your head that takes what somebody else says, and turns it around to insult you with it.

So for example, if somebody told you, "Hey, your track is good, but I didn't like this section," that voice inside you is basically telling you, "Your song sucks," and you react defensively towards the commenter as if the commenter was the one insulting you. If you felt unsure about the section the commenter referred to, then those feelings of self-doubt magnify exponentially.

Basically what I am saying is, rather than react defensively in the example above, silence that voice in your head. Just ignore it completely, and ask the commenter what it was they didn't like about the section. Chances are you'll be surprised, and perhaps even learn something new in the process. That voice in your head though, will shun whatever the commenter says, and you likely won't learn whatever they have to say that will help you improve. You end up making the same mistakes in future works, and you end up receiving the same types of comments.

Sooner or later this cycle will just build and build until you've successfully wrecked every last ounce of worth you reserved for yourself, because after awhile of hearing the same comments, you begin to believe them as truths.

So silence that voice, don't hold yourself low, and take on the world.

There is nobody you have to prove yourself to, except to yourself.
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Postby BinaryBludgeon » 18 May 2012 20:31

Different venting issue:

I made my first song ever. It used very repetitive-sounding synths, and cyrricky decided to be an arse about it, and made it painfully obvious that it was repetitive. Same arps, different chords, and he basically, in nicer terms, said the song was a piece of shit. It was more of a synth 'sandbox' for me, and he acted as if I had 3489570359735 years of experience, and I just made a horrible piece. I mean, critiquing is fine, but that was just being an ass for the sake of it. Nuff said.
BinaryBludgeon

Postby Navron » 18 May 2012 20:47

BinaryBludgeon wrote:Different venting issue:

I made my first song ever. It used very repetitive-sounding synths, and cyrricky decided to be an arse about it, and made it painfully obvious that it was repetitive. Same arps, different chords, and he basically, in nicer terms, said the song was a piece of shit. It was more of a synth 'sandbox' for me, and he acted as if I had 3489570359735 years of experience, and I just made a horrible piece. I mean, critiquing is fine, but that was just being an ass for the sake of it. Nuff said.

I don't normally like being an ass, but.

Did you PM him and tell him that it bugged you? You know...address the person themselves about the issue, vs blatantly calling another member out on the forum.
Navron
Global Moderator

Postby BinaryBludgeon » 18 May 2012 20:50

NavyBrony wrote:I don't normally like being an ass, but.

Did you PM him and tell him that it bugged you? You know...address the person themselves about the issue, vs blatantly calling another member out on the forum.

I'll chat with him if I see him tomorrow, otherwise I'll hit him up on skype... I don't know, it just really pushed me over the limit.
BinaryBludgeon

Postby BinaryBludgeon » 18 May 2012 20:52

And we also argued a bit during the call, that contributed a bit to my bad mood.
BinaryBludgeon

Postby Navron » 18 May 2012 21:35

Fair enough. I just simply think this thread creates enough drama already, despite it being mostly related to personal life issues.

I just don't think calling another forum member out is a can of worms we want to open.
Navron
Global Moderator

Postby Codeum » 19 May 2012 02:31

what do i have to do with this?
Codeum

Postby Codeum » 19 May 2012 03:14

I think I'm going to block you. It's sad because you did give me good critique. too bad you didn't give it to me until after I bumped my post. But if all of the critique you give me is going to be laced with blunt rudeness and sarcastic remarks, then I don't want it.
Codeum

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Discussion