Does anybody else have this problem? [solved]

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

Does anybody else have this problem? [solved]

Postby cyrricky » 15 Jan 2012 01:16

Not sure if this is huggy/venty enough to go into the hugging/venting thread, so yeah.

Every day for the last few months, I've been devoting a minimum of an hour (which usually becomes a couple hours) of my daily schedule to composing. This includes brainstorming, synths, processing, mastering, writing, etc. Recently I've come to hit a pretty major brick wall, with a large lack of inspiration and a sort of 'ugh, again?' feel when I open up my DAW. I've tried to combat this by experimenting, doodling, and listening to differing genres of music on my daily commute, but nothing substantial has come of it.

I was wondering if this is perhaps a result of overworking or forcing myself to write. I'd also like to ask if anybody else had this problem, and if so, how they overcame it.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by cyrricky on 15 Jan 2012 16:46, edited 1 time in total.
Youtube - Soundcloud - Tumblr

DAW: Propellerhead Reason 6
cyrricky

Primary: Reason

Re: Does anybody else have this problem? [overworking]

Postby sci » 15 Jan 2012 02:36

I'm in the middle of this right now. (kind of)

I've mostly responded by ignoring the concept of composing UNLESS/UNTIL I get an idea of some sort. (or for compos, because I love compos even if I suck at them.)

The last idea I got was a chord progression + melody. I jotted it down in about 10 minutes before class last week and haven't touched it since. I have no idea what to do next.

listening to a constant flow of new music helps. (esp. when I discover / rediscover my favorite styles / techniques)

by forcing ideas out, I managed to write half of a decent song on thursday, though I'm not sure what to do with the rest.

</this has pretty much turned into a vent post by now>

----
besides that, I honestly don't remember how I overcome these things, other than with time.
When I do hop out of these ruts, it looks like a musical explosion.

I can tell you that they tend to start after I burn myself out with some big project (the last remix war, vinyl scratch will kick your ass, and possibly my earthbound remix for my current dip.)
sci

Primary: OpenMPT
Cutie Mark: Sampling

Postby LunchBagMusic » 15 Jan 2012 06:05

Don't force it. Ever.

If you truly love your work, you will let it flow naturally. It's like taking a dump when there's nothing there; you're only going to end up with a funny look on your face and nothing to show for it.

Take a break. Keep being involved with the music community, but don't compose/write/whateveritisyouelectronicmusiciansdonowadays.

Just relax and (if possible) try and let your schedule revolve around your moments of inspiration. If not, carry a notebook (or write as a note on your phone, voice memo, anything) at all times. Once you get the idea, run with it.
LunchBagMusic

Postby Tephrax » 15 Jan 2012 06:26

If you don't want to work, don't. I remember seeing a quote somewhere that said if you don't believe in what you do, other people won't either. Just do what you think feels right. If that means taking a break, then take a break! Or maybe even just do something stupid for a joke.
Tephrax will never Give you up, let you down, run around or desert you.
http://soundcloud.com/tephrax/never-gonna-give-you-up-piano
YouTube!
Soundcloud
Tephrax

Postby Tephnos » 15 Jan 2012 06:59

Don't force it as an every day thing. You do it because you enjoy it, not to do it 'on command'.

Doing something on command is one of the easiest ways to burn yourself out completely. It may work for a bit but eventually you WILL lose your motivation. Ease up on how often you do it, do it when you FEEL like doing it, etc.
Tephnos

Postby Navron » 15 Jan 2012 10:11

Remember, there are lots of different things you can work on with the song, aside from composing, and if you really don't feel like playing, don't.

What you can do though, is skip all the in-depth composing, and just take a relaxing stroll through your song. Clean up some tracks a bit, check your automation, etc.

You could also try loading a blank project and just playing some random stuff with no intentions of making a song (coincidentally, this is usually when I discover a good riff, or the makings of a new song).

Lastly, give yourself a break. Listen to some bands you haven't listened to in awhile on your iPod, or even give your car radio a go. Sometimes I get myself so sick of music and composing I'll drive the entire 45min drive to work in complete silence.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby randomblockfilms » 15 Jan 2012 11:51

yeah im having this same problem too. BUT one thing i found that helps is that if you have an idea from the start, you will make a better song faster. Rather than placing down random chord progressions and seeing what you could do with it. Thats kind of abstract, like abstract art. But if you have an idea for a song, then you music will have (i guess) more meaning. and you will have more modivation for doing it. for example if you did a parody, you would probably have more fun doing it than rather going like, "HRRMMM. maybe a C# to a G# diminished would sound good, NOPE. Chuck Testa Well how bout an A minor to D flat 7 chord, NOPE." (well actually they do sound a bit interesting) maybe just writing down different keys and stuff might work for ya. its all subjective anyway so try everything and see what works for you.

and also take breaks!!! go play with yo friends, go play a silly FPS game, or write a speech as if you were president. maybe that would inspire you to do a rap or something. i find it hard to get inspirations from staring at your DAW. (learned that the hard way, lol)

OH and also try to find a solid system of making music. like in this video. you can take it or leave it but I think it has helped me a bit. because ive been stressing out on how my kick and synths sound and not about finishing a track. (and yes the title of the video is REALLY REALLY cheezy)
mahYoutubeChannal

Take my advice with a grain of salt as i too am learning how this music stuff works
English is my native language but it is defiantly not my forte.
randomblockfilms

Primary: Ableton 8

Postby cyrricky » 15 Jan 2012 16:40

You guys are the best.

Thanks for all the help, I'll be sure to take it all into consideration. In fact, I'm gonna go and copy it down and put it up as a poster in my studio alongside that quote from Ira Glass that we all love.
Youtube - Soundcloud - Tumblr

DAW: Propellerhead Reason 6
cyrricky

Primary: Reason

Return to Off-Topic Discussion