What kind of musician am I?

We all love it, otherwise it's unlikely you'd be here. Talk about the show and the fanbase surrounding it. Brony music discussions encouraged.

What kind of musician am I?

Postby DiZ-Inmotion » 04 Jul 2014 15:34

I'm a generally new musician to the fandom that writes rap songs about small, multicolored horses. The thing is, I don't really make my own songs, I write lyrics over other people's songs. I have their permission, of course, but I don't really know if that counts as making music.

Is it really my music, if it's not really me making the actual music part?

What kind of musician am I, if I'm a musician at all?
Making music is more than creation of sound. It's delivering a message to the people that hear you.
DiZ-Inmotion

Primary: Audacity
Cutie Mark: Delta

Re: What kind of musician am I?

Postby Freewave » 04 Jul 2014 15:50

Sounds like you are a lyricist.

Some people write and sing/rap words and that's their focus. Some people like Feather may or may not be full on musicians and may just be "vocalists" but that's not discounting that they may influence the direction on a track. Some hip-hop producers in this fandom (like mycutiemarkisagun and formerly voodoopony) make the beats but don't touch the lyrical portion at all. You also have remixers and cover artists who may not do something original but find ways to play with the original track and recreate it in interesting ways. There's dj's who only mix other peoples tracks together but take people on musical voyages and create music in their own way through second hand means without making a single track of their own. There's also engineers and producers who make that rough track sound really nice.

Each may stick to a particular style of limited musical composition or they may float to whatever they want to do atmo but don't discount that each different way isn't making music in some way. They are all musicians, even if they only stick to one particular means. What elements you add to the music you helped create is what you are truly responsible for but to the listener a lot of the time that final track you hand in is the end result, whether its all yours or very little. So make sure to give credit when and where its due if you're remixing as that's only fair if you only did a portion. ;)
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby DiZ-Inmotion » 04 Jul 2014 15:54

Freewave wrote: Sounds like you are a lyricist.

Some people write and sing/rap words and that's their focus. Some people like Feather may or may not be full on musicians and may just be "vocalists" but that's not discounting that they may influence the direction on a track. Some hip-hop producers in this fandom (like mycutiemarkisagun and formerly voodoopony) make the beats but don't touch the lyrical portion at all. You also have remixers and cover artists who may not do something original but find ways to play with the original track and recreate it in interesting ways. There's dj's who only mix other peoples tracks together but take people on musical voyages and create music in their own way through second hand means without making a single track of their own. There's also engineers and producers who make that rough track sounds really nice.

Each may stick to a particular style of limited musical composition or they may float to whatever they want to do atmo but don't discount that each different way isn't making music in some way. They are all musicians, even if they only stick to one particular means. What elements you add to the music you helped create is what you are truly responsible for but to the listener a lot of the time that final track you hand in is the end result, whether its all yours or very little. So make sure to give credit when and where its due if you're remixing as that's only fair if you only did a portion. ;)

This makes sense. Thank you. Now, to post things with confidence!
Making music is more than creation of sound. It's delivering a message to the people that hear you.
DiZ-Inmotion

Primary: Audacity
Cutie Mark: Delta

Postby Freewave » 04 Jul 2014 16:06

I will say if you are creating a vocal song from scratch you are likely being:

composer
lyricist
vocalist
sound engineer
mixing/mastering engineer
marketing
visual artist

and a whole lot of things inbetween (including guitarist, pianist, drummer, etc that may be depending on the individual instrument you are using) so its really remarkable when people are doing what you would normally need a team of people for in a professional setting. It may make the output "amateur", but I'd like to see most big name bands do all these steps without a label and by themselves and see how far they get. :grin:
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Return to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic