EQD Reports: Pony Music Getting Targetted....

We all love it, otherwise it's unlikely you'd be here. Talk about the show and the fanbase surrounding it. Brony music discussions encouraged.

EQD Reports: Pony Music Getting Targetted....

Postby CitricAcid » 18 Jun 2014 14:09

Have a link:
http://www.equestriadaily.com/2014/06/p ... -anti.html

This will either be a snafu on Hasbro's part or will have devastating effects on the fandom.

Actually, after giving it a second look, it might not be so bad. It's just targeting the monetization of pony music. That should have a little less of an impact on most of us. Still disconcerting, though.
Image Image Image
CitricAcid

Primary: Cubase
Cutie Mark: Music scroll

Re: Whoa nellie...

Postby Evine » 18 Jun 2014 15:03

The biggest problem by this is not that peoples monetizing gets taken down (Youtube has every right to do so). It's the fact that Hasbro takes over the monetization of video's they don't own.

And that's basically piracy on a corporate scale.

Also it doesn't seem like content ID system is involved in these cases. Meaning a Hasbro representative have reviewed the content and decided they have ownership over the content.

Craft your toys as much as you want. But big bully has decided it's theirs. And no one tells big bully, NO you can't have that.
Evine

Postby ph00tbag » 18 Jun 2014 15:22

I think the general notion that legal entities can opt to advertise on videos that may contain even a hint of copyrighted material, even if the rest is original and owned by the video's creator, is, indeed, really fucked up. Particularly if the account in question isn't monetized.

In the long run, though, I'm not too worried about this. It's kinda shitty to profit off of stuff other people are doing for fun, but as long as I can continue to share my music with people who enjoy it, then I am fine with that. If I think I'm good to sell a tune, I only make money off of it on Bandcamp anyway.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Callenby » 18 Jun 2014 15:31

So would this only affect monetized YouTube accounts? Because I was just about to set up and link to my own Bandcamp page soon (using pay-what-you-want) and they couldn't possibly expect to have jurisdiction over that, right?

Also the thread title is a bit too vague, in my opinion.
"Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist." - Pablo Picasso
Free online classes (including music) can be found here. Credit for my avatar goes to Lolo.

Tumblr / YouTube / Soundcloud
Callenby

Primary: Cubase 7.5
Cutie Mark: Double bass clef heart

Postby ph00tbag » 18 Jun 2014 21:54

They can't touch your Bandcamp account that I'm aware of yet. Bandcamp doesn't really follow Youtube copyright policy.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Postby Freewave » 19 Jun 2014 08:10

Callenby wrote:Also the thread title is a bit too vague, in my opinion.

Yep, fixed.

A couple things to note:

1) This is on monetization of youtube accounts. If you're going to "make money" from youtube advertising then unfortunately you are opening yourself up to people saying "you are using unauthorized images or samples". Some of the problem is a lot of this falls under youtube / google's detection software and matches it with Hasbro's images, audio, and video. Eurobeat Brony (the first brony musician) has always been pretty vocal that remixing Daniel Ingram's songs and using show samples isn't something that you should truly charge for. Using Hasbro owned pony images also can be a big no. If you want to charge money on your bandcamp for a proper album you can likely have an easier time although a "pay what you want" scheme is a LOT more ethical.

If you don't want to be effected at all, don't monetize your youtube channel. Keep it free.

2. These aren't takedowns, they are just diverting ad money for content which they say you don't fully own. TBH I don't think these are necessarily widespread ocurrences either. It's ironic this happened on a Silva Hound track as Silva was well known for using unauthorized samples (Phil Collins, Stardust, and MLP of course) and charging for all his tracks. He took his catalog down from youtube and bandcamp a LONG time ago i think due to copyright warnings (although some may have been reuploaded to youtube in limited capacity). Not sure why a remix of Hooves up High of all things got flagged as its one of the more original things he's done. I'm not sure what got it flagged and it is a remix too.

If you think its in error (and it MAY be), challenge the claim.

3. Fans are getting more brazen with wanting to make a living on fan content and using content and images they don't own. That includes using animation rigs which are leaked straight from Hasbro, images, and samples. At some point Hasbro needed to step in and assert they own a lot of the trademarks and copyrights. They own this material kids and this really isn't anything new as its been happening awhile to a degree. Don't mine at night.

4. EQD may suggest to take out pony images off of youtubes but i think that is unrealistic, forgetting who the audience is, and knee jerk reacting to the situation. If you aren't making money in the first place, you likely won't be effected at all. I do pmv's for my videos all the time, I get copyright warnings, I say i don't own the video portion which was autodetected, and they leave me alone. No strikes on my account, no video takedowns, nothing. I have yet to have them even flag anything thats an original image and not a video. I have seen auto detection on unauthorized samples before. My Kelis "Milkshake" pitched up sample for my Milkmare of Trottingham track was autodetected and had 3 different copyright holders so i moved my track to Vimeo rather than chance a strike. They MAY place an add to buy that original track on itunes from a link on my video OR they may determine to take it down. You never know. If you're worried don't upload it to youtube, there's a TON of warnings on youtube that people skim over all the time. Might want to read them.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Freewave » 19 Jun 2014 09:10

Evine wrote:The biggest problem by this is not that peoples monetizing gets taken down (Youtube has every right to do so). It's the fact that Hasbro takes over the monetization of video's they don't own. And that's basically piracy on a corporate scale. Well piracy is using trademarks or copyright material you don't own. Enforcing copyrights isn't piracy, its stopping it. It the particular claim is illegitimate then fight it.

Also it doesn't seem like content ID system is involved in these cases. Meaning a Hasbro representative have reviewed the content and decided they have ownership over the content. Hard to say, in most cases its the youtube content id system thats flagging things. In these cases though its youtubes policies that are enabling whats occurring.

Craft your toys as much as you want. But big bully has decided it's theirs. And no one tells big bully, NO you can't have that. You may might be describing the general entitlement that the fandom has regarding Hasbro's property. Sure we love the show and make them very rich basing a fanbase on it but the only toy maker here is actually Hasbro. If we're mad because we use their trademarks to try to profit as well we might just need to examine our own behavior first.
Freewave

Re: EQD Reports: Pony Music Getting Targetted....

Postby Evine » 19 Jun 2014 14:20

To be perfectly clear, Hasbro has claimed ownership over this video audio content. And it seems like it isn't a content ID automatic flagging, but a manual flagging process done by Hasbro Studio LLC.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWMy2x1jL8k

In contrast note that JanAnimations pony video seems to be monetized to himself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_TMtgjQuZI

Freeware wrote:If you don't want to be effected at all, don't monetize your youtube channel. Keep it free.

That isn't how youtube work. If Hasbro puts a claim on your video, they will monetize your video. (In general if you monetize your videos it's more likely to be thoroughly reviewed by content ID and other checks)

Freeware wrote:You may might be describing the general entitlement that the fandom has regarding Hasbro's property. Sure we love the show and make them very rich basing a fanbase on it but the only toy maker here is actually Habro

They're encouraging the creation of fan-works. And I agree with you that people shouldn't make money of the fandom. But Hasbro don't communicate what they want to have and what they don't wanna see. So naturally people will just create fan-works, and suddenly they've overstepped Hasbro invisible C&D line.
Evine

Postby Freewave » 19 Jun 2014 16:45

I'm not sure if Hasbro can monetize a video if you haven't signed up to monetize your channel. If you're saying they can slip an ad in a video that you've signed off a waver of a copyright violation, perhaps. Haven't seen much of that. The Seventh Element remix doesnt even have an advertizement before it plays....A lot of people haven't monetized their channels or don't bother because it's chump change and slides into "original vs derivative works" which is a messy battle. The fact this happened on a year and a half old remix of a silva hound track is the mystifying thing but to freak out on a few isolated lone examples is a dumb thing to do. I saw Seventh Element's comments in chat today about the whole situation and to him its really not even a big deal, just perplexing on why they picked that track.

Again people are going irate (see the EQD comments) and breathing all kinds of unneeded drama into this situation rather than looking at what youtube's policies are, how much leeway Hasbro has owning the trademarks and copyrights to these characters, and how many people in the fandom are going above and beyond what they SHOULD be doing (making money off hasbro's property). Unless people have a liscencing contract with Hasbro for their share most people are shorting Hasbro out of the cut IF they are trying to make money off the fandom.
Freewave

Postby Stuntddude » 19 Jun 2014 20:35

Welcome your master Freewave as the voice of reason here.

But actually, yes, Hasbro (and other companies with fingers in the system) can monetize your videos even if you don't have them set up monetized or (I think) don't even have an account with monetization enabled. Which is a little scary, but nowhere near catastrophic in practice, at least not yet.
Notebook Memories, the debut album from yours truly, is currently up on my bandcamp for free. Any feedback, encouragement, hate mail, etc. is highly appreciated! Even just listening is pretty cool of you tbh.
eery wrote:Next gen gaming: Just fucking get a dog.
Stuntddude

Cutie Mark: { }

Postby ph00tbag » 19 Jun 2014 21:42

I mean, one of my videos is monetized (by someone who literally created nothing that's in the video) because of ContentID, and I don't monetize any of my videos.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Postby Freewave » 20 Jun 2014 09:06

Just so we are clear here, what exactly HAPPENS when your video is "monetized" by Hasbro? There is NO advertisement on that Seventh Element remix that i SAW (on my outdated work browser at least) so how would they make money off clicking play on a video? My assumption is that they have to place an ad in your video or a link below the video to download the original track from itunes if you were using someone else's track.

Again at this point if anyone wants to blame anyone it would be to blame youtube's policies vs hasbro. Then again they are ALLOWING more videos to stay up vs taking down videos and channels this way. I'd rather have a video's money siphoned off by the original copyright holder then told i have to delete a video or get my entire account shut down.
Freewave

Return to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic