Essential FimFics?

We all love it, otherwise it's unlikely you'd be here. Talk about the show and the fanbase surrounding it. Brony music discussions encouraged.

Essential FimFics?

Postby Freewave » 04 Jan 2014 18:17

A lot of us don't take to read one some of the best uses of fannon in our scene, Fimfics!

Thought we should definitely have a thread for good fimfiction suggestions.

My experience with them is pretty minimal. I've read Cheerilee's Garden which is a pretty well regarded grimdark / gorefic and it was surprisingly well written although quite gorey. It's sequel Scarlet Harvest is almost as good and is basically Castlemania meets Saw with Cheerliee as our returning psychotic villian. Both i can recommend if you want to READ a horror movie in book form. Each has a pretty great twist in the end.

A few others I've read that i can recommend:

Change of Face by is a pretty great look at benevolent changelings. It's basically Lyra discovers Bon Bon is a changeling and goes from there. Really added to the changeling fannon and it's recommended. http://www.fimfiction.net/story/24388/a-change-of-face

Flitter is a bit more epic in scope and goes into a lot of interesting changeling theories and how they might not be the enemy we fear. It may be too nicely wrapped up in the end but its a great look at benevolent changelings as well. Helps that both of the changeling stories actually don't conflict in their theories.
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/22618/flitter

And yeah that's all i've read as i don't spend a ton of time reading in front of a monitor too often. I've heard good things about University Days (Vinyl Scratch meets Octavia), Background Pony, and of course Fallout Equestria but haven't gotten to those either.

Any fimfics that people want to recommend or ask about (keep spolilers to a minimum and clopfics out of the equation please)? :lol:
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Re: Essential FimFics?

Postby Facade » 04 Jan 2014 18:28

>inb4 cupcakes / rainbow factory

cupcakes or rainbow factory

my little dashie is ok but a little over rated

there was another really good one that i cant remember ill see if i cant find it
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
Facade

Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

Postby Jokeblue » 04 Jan 2014 22:20

We allowed to give a bit of a synopsis or description yeah?

Herald was a good one that Exo recommended to me. It's a dark (Grimdark?) fic staring Mrs. Cake searching for her children in ponyville I the midst of horrifying events.

There's also Anthropology which I guess should be one of the Brony classics. It's about Lyra and her pursuit and research of the mythical race of humans. It is a really, really good read.
Last edited by Jokeblue on 06 Jan 2014 07:08, edited 2 times in total.
Youtube || Soundcloud || Skype: Thejokingblue

New song! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4lFqkuY5Fg
Jokeblue

Primary: Protools SE
Cutie Mark: Failure

Postby ClaviSound » 04 Jan 2014 23:38

Background Pony's downright incredible when you get to the deeper philosophical questions and the importance of music to the self, but that doesn't happen until a while into the fanfiction, so you might be dissuaded from reading if you can't stomach heavy storyline. That said, still one of the few 300k+ word fanfictions I'd heavily recommend.

Sweetie's Mansion is also 300k+ words, but I read it within 24 hours. It's rough around the edges and very derivative in the beginning, but it smooths out as it goes along, and once Apple Bloom is re-introduced, really gets good. (And yes, it's a crossover between Luigi's Mansion and MLP, in case you were wondering.) This story's pretty good on all fronts, but its pacing in particular is just absolutely killer, and the way the writer screws with the status quo of things at the most unpredictable of times really makes the story exciting. Adding that to the fact that it takes so long for story elements to resolve themselves, and a crapton of "almost but not quite"s, and it's almost impossible to put down. However, it's incomplete, and unlikely ever to be finished, so if you don't like reading incomplete fics, then you might want to skip this one, because the cliffhanger will seriously make you rage with how it ends.

But other than that, seriously. If you take no other suggestions from me, take this one. It's worth it. In fact, I'm going to re-read it right now.

Shipping and Handling is a really good and fleshed-out Derpy fic. Has its share of action, comedy, suspense, and romance. As you can probably tell from the title though, it does contain shipping, and a lot of it, so be warned. (There isn't much "handling" in THAT regard, though, so it's not crude or anything.)

Smiling Flowers has fantastic characterization and a really powerful inner conflict. If it didn't make me cry, it got me close, and not too many fanfictions can do that.
aka Scott Hopkins aka Swerve Keystyle aka Equestrian Threat: https://www.youtube.com/c/EquestrianThreat

I can't type cursive, so I don't know what's supposed to go in my signature.

Don't quote me.
ClaviSound

Primary: Audacity cuz sweg, Ableton
Cutie Mark: N/A

Postby simonli2575 » 05 Jan 2014 00:30

What about the use of vocabulary? Do the recommended fimfics here have a wide range of it? (I can't get myself into reading them yet ;_;)
http://soundcloud.com/simonli2575
My YouTube channel
Steam profile
Software: FL Studio, Z3ta+2 & Massive
Hardware: Roland 800-Pro and a computer
Genres: Drum 'n' Bass and occasionally Jungle
Genres I want to try out: Dubstep, Breakcore, Hardstyle and Trap
Alycs made my new avatar. \o/
simonli2575

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Why are you staring at my ass

Postby ph00tbag » 06 Jan 2014 05:45

I personally think Paradise ought to be required reading for anyone. It kinda has nothing to do with the lore of MLP now as we see it, and I'm pretty sure SlyWit has all but forgotten about it, but it's such an intense story that it's worth the read, regardless.

As for AU adventure, I think Myths and Birthrights is one of the more interesting and intense ones out there. The AU that Tundara created is so rich and full of its own particular life.

And if you're a fan of hard sf like I am, there's some Human in Equestria stories that carry the notion with a great deal of aplomb actually, and seek some really interesting explanations for magic so it can fit with our understanding of physics. Arrow 18 is really interesting, and seems to be active. Eclipse is also good, but I think writing on it has all but stopped.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Alycs » 07 Jan 2014 08:57

I don't read any fanfictions these days, but I strongly recommend "Fallout Equestria" to anyone, and especially the derivative work "Project Horizons." I also enjoyed "Past Sins," and "University Days" is turning out to be pretty good after I finally broke down and started it after seeing Lavender Harmony praise it so much
Soundcloud||Tumblr||Youtube||Graphics||Bandcamp
Freewave wrote:being too critical can make you too critical
Alycs

Cutie Mark: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Postby ExoBassTix » 07 Jan 2014 09:07

If you want a multi-chapter horror story by the author of Past Sins (Pen Stroke), definitely read Into The Depths. Luna and Twilight Sparkle go missing, so Celestia and a group of guards go into the crypts of the ruins of the old castle. Will they come out alive though?

If you want laughter + a small moment of terror + a life in danger and getting psychotic because of it, take When A Pony Calls (and its sequel The Alchemist's Heart (I'm in the middle of the story, and it says tragedy... And gore. Don't know, so be warned)). Really though, the story is so perfect. Even though the format in the begin made me think "okay let's get it over with", it's so incredibly cool.
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby HMage » 07 Jan 2014 13:48

Last edited by HMage on 07 Jan 2014 16:07, edited 1 time in total.
HMage

Primary: Ableton

Postby Magnitude Zero » 07 Jan 2014 15:12

ph00tbag wrote:I personally think Paradise ought to be required reading for anyone. It kinda has nothing to do with the lore of MLP now as we see it, and I'm pretty sure SlyWit has all but forgotten about it, but it's such an intense story that it's worth the read, regardless.

I second this one. Awesome adventurey origin story with some really cool worldbuilding. Shame it only seems to update once or twice a year nowadays.

Some of my favorites:

The Flight of the Alicorn by Ponydora Prancypants - Really well-written adventure fic, and the only fic I've ever seen pull off Rarity x Blueblood. The first of a currently unfinished trilogy, but holds up very well as its own story. Rarity makes a really good adventure protagonist for some reason.

Unmarked by Croswynd - Another (lesser-known) adventure fic with a cast of OC ponies. I fell in love with these characters, they're fantastic.

Wingmares by CouchCrusader - Slice of life filly Flutterdash friendshipping. I actually made a fan song for this one because I liked it so much!

I'll probably think of more and post them later.
Formerly known as Blind

DAW: FL Studio 10
Style: Chill/Downtempo

Soundcloud | Youtube | Tumblr
Magnitude Zero

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: Horse butt not large enough

Postby Quix » 08 Jan 2014 02:42

It's a Dangerous Business, Going Out Your Door - Incredible adventure fic focused on Applejack, Rarity, and Rainbow Dash. It's really long, but it has fantastic character development and dialogue and a real sense of threat and adventure. It's without a doubt my favorite fanfic.
Quix

Primary: Ableton Live 9

Postby ExoBassTix » 08 Jan 2014 06:03

HMage wrote:Hello, Sedna

Second!

Amor Caecus Est is a (cloppy) romance fic, but a very, very good one at that (in my humble opinion). Rainbow Dash finally gets what she's always wanted: get in the Wonderbolts. But yet she can't help but feel bad. Luckily, a certain blind Wonderbolt helps Rainbow Dash back up her hooves.

Now Prince Of Zebras is a special romance fic. I can best just copy a part of the description: Adventure, romance, humor, drama, sex, pranks, politics and martial arts.
Take note that, even though probably not necessary, it's handy to read Upon The Stars first (it's a one-shot romance), as it contains a small bit of background that isn't provided in Prince Of Zebras (I think it's an unofficial sequel to Upon The Stars.
And yes, clop again. But how!
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby Navron » 08 Jan 2014 11:51

Alycs wrote:I don't read any fanfictions these days, but I strongly recommend "Fallout Equestria" to anyone, and especially the derivative work "Project Horizons." I also enjoyed "Past Sins," and "University Days" is turning out to be pretty good after I finally broke down and started it after seeing Lavender Harmony praise it so much

I second that.

I'm not a big fanfiction guy, but Fallout Equestria is a beautifully woven story. I'm actually reading it through a second time right now, catching as many things I may have missed the first time around.

It's dark, gritty, and violent, but still manages to hold true to the show's overall message of friendship. I very rarely cry, but the ending to FoE was so heartwarming I was very, very close.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby Berri » 08 Jan 2014 17:53

"but the kitchen sink" its the only fanfic you need to know
https://soundcloud.com/theberri
https://www.tumblr.com/blog/notberri
Circuitfry wrote:I'm a certified professional with venturing into butts.

JacksonMiller wrote:Wow ExoBassTix, you really like the D. ;)
Berri

Cutie Mark: ( ͡O ͜ʖ ͡O ) ovi

Postby Jokeblue » 08 Jan 2014 18:37

Berri wrote:"but the kitchen sink" its the only fanfic you need to know

xD

That fanfic was one of the dumbest things I've ever read. It's really funny, and deffinately worth a read.
Youtube || Soundcloud || Skype: Thejokingblue

New song! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4lFqkuY5Fg
Jokeblue

Primary: Protools SE
Cutie Mark: Failure

Postby ph00tbag » 09 Jan 2014 15:39

HMage wrote:* Que Sera, Sera

Oh yeah! I forgot about this one. Incredible short fic. Definitely worth looking into.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Postby Callenby » 09 Jan 2014 16:32

In general I avoided fanfiction but lately I've been thinking that that's unfair. My reading list is already pretty backed up, though. So, can I ask, if you had to recommend just one story to someone who doesn't normally care for fanfiction what would it be?
"Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist." - Pablo Picasso
Free online classes (including music) can be found here. Credit for my avatar goes to Lolo.

Tumblr / YouTube / Soundcloud
Callenby

Primary: Cubase 7.5
Cutie Mark: Double bass clef heart

Postby HMage » 09 Jan 2014 17:11

Callenby wrote:In general I avoided fanfiction but lately I've been thinking that that's unfair. My reading list is already pretty backed up, though. So, can I ask, if you had to recommend just one story to someone who doesn't normally care for fanfiction what would it be?

Basically go through my list and choose what you like the most from the description.
HMage

Primary: Ableton

Postby JSynth » 10 Jan 2014 10:40

ClaviSound wrote:Background Pony's downright incredible when you get to the deeper philosophical questions and the importance of music to the self, but that doesn't happen until a while into the fanfiction, so you might be dissuaded from reading if you can't stomach heavy storyline. That said, still one of the few 300k+ word fanfictions I'd heavily recommend.

All of my yes. Its also very musically inspiring.

Also The Keepers of Discord
Its was written before Discord's reformation, but it is still a really good fic.

Finally Zecora Eats a Pear
Because... why not?
https://soundcloud.com/jasper-synth/back-at-me
Jokeblue wrote:You fool. You've doomed the Spam thread to yet another, inevitable :3 spam.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

DAW: Logic Pro 9
Plugins: Sylenth, Sausage Fattener, Komplete 9, NI The Mouth, Ozone 5, Bitspeek
JSynth

Primary: Logic 9
Cutie Mark: yo face

Postby AutomaticJack » 10 Jan 2014 21:26

"Pinkie Pie learns a New Word" and ALL of the "Letters from a Disgruntled Friendship Student".
I did a voicemail reading of the first of "Letters" HERE =3
Pride can be wounded. Swagger is INVINCIBLE..
[The Factory] -- [The Showroom] -- [The Catalog]
DAW: FL Studio 11, Adobe Audition 1.5
Current Project: Too many to name!!! =P
AutomaticJack

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Master of all things Rhythmic

Postby Coloriot » 10 Jan 2014 21:26

One time I read a fic called, "A Brony's Tale", just another human in equestria fic, but I read it and I thoroughly enjoy it.

I'd also recommend Shipping and Handling by Pegasus Rescue Brigade, where Derpy accidentally joins a shipping service, and it's not the packaging kind. Don't worry, it's not mushy or gooey, but keeps it fun and upbeat while having drama when it needs to. Probably one of my favorite fics.
Colorkek that makes computer noises.

What's my main genre? All of them.

[Youtube] [Soundcloud] [EQBeats] [Bandcamp] [Twitter]
Coloriot

Primary: Ableton Live 7
Cutie Mark: Mac Color Wheel of Doom

Postby Injustrial » 10 Jan 2014 21:42

I love the settings and the creativity shown in a lot of fanfic. It takes a special kind of mind to see between the lines of canon work and create something completely unexpected out of what's evidently shown.

HOWEVER

Most of the fanfics I've tried reading have been terribly paced, badly worded and just plain lazy at times. I adore the worlds that are created, the unique twist on canon content and the imagination the authors. But it comes down to quality over content: (completely polarizing the judgement I have on fandom music) I have yet to read a single well-written fanfic. Plenty of good settings, and My Little Dashie actually brought a tear to my eye. But... just no!

I may sound harsh here, and to every single Fimfiction writer I may be pissing off now, I am terribly sorry. But every single story I've read so far has been either badly worded, annoyingly characterized or just plain bad. I really want to read a fanfic capable of blowing my socks off, but it's just not happening.
Injustrial

Cutie Mark: Sh*t on Fire

Postby simonli2575 » 11 Jan 2014 10:38

Injustrial wrote:HOWEVER

Most of the fanfics I've tried reading have been terribly paced, badly worded and just plain lazy at times.

Mind giving us an example of what you would call good-pacing fanfics?
http://soundcloud.com/simonli2575
My YouTube channel
Steam profile
Software: FL Studio, Z3ta+2 & Massive
Hardware: Roland 800-Pro and a computer
Genres: Drum 'n' Bass and occasionally Jungle
Genres I want to try out: Dubstep, Breakcore, Hardstyle and Trap
Alycs made my new avatar. \o/
simonli2575

Cutie Mark: Why are you staring at my ass

Postby Injustrial » 11 Jan 2014 10:39

simonli2575 wrote:
Injustrial wrote:HOWEVER

Most of the fanfics I've tried reading have been terribly paced, badly worded and just plain lazy at times.

Mind giving us an example of what you would call good-pacing fanfics?

I have yet to read one
Injustrial

Cutie Mark: Sh*t on Fire

Postby ph00tbag » 11 Jan 2014 11:35

Injustrial's got a pretty good point. There are a lot of fics where I'll be thoroughly thrown off by an astoundingly terrible word-choice. Often, I'll fill in my own wording to make it flow better, or to make it feel more in character.

A big one is people making Twilight use very general words when there is a fairly accessible, and more precise word that would work, and which she would totally use because Twilight has a massive vocabulary.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Next

Return to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic