Downward Trajectory of Brony Music (New Blog Launch pg 3 on)

We all love it, otherwise it's unlikely you'd be here. Talk about the show and the fanbase surrounding it. Brony music discussions encouraged.

Re: The Downward Trajectory of Brony Music (and how to fix i

Postby CitricAcid » 04 Nov 2013 14:54

Is it possible to make the stuff on the left side more compact? As it is, I have to scroll horizontally for all the stuff on the right to fit in my browser window.
Image Image Image
CitricAcid

Primary: Cubase
Cutie Mark: Music scroll

Postby Conduit » 04 Nov 2013 15:27

I really like the banner, but I'm not a fan of the background.
https://soundcloud.com/flatflish/a-warm-past

DAW: Logic 9
Vst's: Absynth, Battery, FM8, Guitar Rig, Kontakt, Massive, Maschine
Real Instruments: Acoustic/Electric Guitar, Cello, Piano

YoutubeSoundcloudTutors ThreadSkype: FlatflishImage
Conduit

Primary: Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: Strings

Postby Conduit » 04 Nov 2013 15:44

Made this in about 5 minutes, and it obviously wouldn't work as a tumblr background, but I personally like the colors a bit more. http://i.imgur.com/Fd53DQ4.jpg

Not too sure about the blue, but I wanted something to tie into Vinyls hair on the banner.

Conduit

Postby Freewave » 04 Nov 2013 19:13

CitricAcid wrote:Is it possible to make the stuff on the left side more compact? As it is, I have to scroll horizontally for all the stuff on the right to fit in my browser window.

what screen resolution do you use?
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby CitricAcid » 04 Nov 2013 20:03

Freewave wrote:what screen resolution do you use?

It isn't really a screen resolution issue. It's the fact that I'm one of those who prefers to keep my bookmarks sidebar always open. I always dislike it when I come across sites that require me to close it in order to view the page comfortably. It's more of a personal preference than anything.
Image Image Image
CitricAcid

Postby ChocolateChicken » 04 Nov 2013 22:04

Did you guys read what I said
ChocolateChicken

Primary: Logic Pro
Cutie Mark: Blank Flank

Postby Conduit » 04 Nov 2013 23:10

ChocolateChicken wrote:Did you guys read what I said

I'm not sure if you read any of the posts before yours. It's not really a discussion about how to fix it, as we've already talked about that. This thread is primarily for the new FiMMusic tumblr / site we're starting up.

Anyway, has anyone seen circut around anywhere recently? His and Sci's plan to upgrade toastbeard would be a nice thing to have done by the time the new season starts, and the blog launches.

Conduit

Postby ChocolateChicken » 04 Nov 2013 23:38

It seems like this thread has gone quite off topic if it is now about a website you guys are making now. You guys are essentially making a Google+.
ChocolateChicken

Postby Conduit » 05 Nov 2013 00:12

ChocolateChicken wrote:It seems like this thread has gone quite off topic if it is now about a website you guys are making now. You guys are essentially making a Google+.

While I agree the thread could be titled better, it's been about this site since the thread was created. I'm also not sure what the google + thing has anything to do with this.

I don't like getting in internet fights, or derailing threads, but it seems a bit hypocritical to ask people to read your posts when you haven't even read enough to understand what the thread is about.

Conduit

Postby ChocolateChicken » 05 Nov 2013 01:56

Why hasn't a new thread been created for this sudden idea for a new website
ChocolateChicken

Postby ClaviSound » 05 Nov 2013 03:35

Right now it's in its nascent stages. Once it's been brushed up and looks presentable, that's when a new thread would be appropriate (in my mind).

We understand that "all you gotta do is be friendly to others and continue to support current musicians in the community." Hence, why the concept of a new website is being thrown around on this thread with the aim of being both friendly to brony musicians and supporting the community. We did read your post, and I agree with you, but it was the same thing we've already been saying, which we are now acting upon.
aka Scott Hopkins aka Swerve Keystyle aka Equestrian Threat: https://www.youtube.com/c/EquestrianThreat

I can't type cursive, so I don't know what's supposed to go in my signature.

Don't quote me.
ClaviSound

Primary: Audacity cuz sweg, Ableton
Cutie Mark: N/A

Postby ganondox » 05 Nov 2013 08:15

Okay, I can't exactly place it, but something about the current site layout just looks off. I think it just looks a bit off center with the current layout, but it might be some clashing between the background and the post bar or something. Anyway, do I get to be a mod or affiliate? If so I'd like brony rock spotlight to be the represented one.
ganondox

Primary: Garage Band :P
Cutie Mark: Σ

Re: Downward Trajectory of Brony Music (FIMMusic Launch pg 3

Postby HMage » 05 Nov 2013 13:50

As I said, I'm strongly against blog format. I am convinced this approach will not work and will not mirror fimfiction experience for music.

When I go to fimfiction, I want to read fics and don't want anything to do with conventions, reblogs of news or artwork.

As I said, you're trying to do much more than just music site.

I honestly believe this is bad cause to support if it stays this way.
HMage

Primary: Ableton
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby CitricAcid » 05 Nov 2013 14:09

HMage wrote:As I said, I'm strongly against blog format. I am convinced this approach will not work and will not mirror fimfiction experience for music.

When I go to fimfiction, I want to read fics and don't want anything to do with conventions, reblogs of news or artwork.

I'm not a fan of the blog format either. However, if the object is to have the site up and active before season 4 starts, then a blog is much easier to set up than an entire website. They can look into making a custom site when they aren't pressed for time.

For the time that this site stays in blog format, can I ask a favor? Keep the reblogs to a minimum. Reblogging always says to me, "I can't produce my own blog content, so here, have some clutter that you have to scroll through." On topic or not, I see reblogs as clutter.
Image Image Image
CitricAcid

Postby Fimbulin » 05 Nov 2013 14:55

Seems most people that aren't tumblr fans will
1. Not even notice
2. Not care
3. Be excited for a week and then forget about it
Analytical music theorist!
http://www.youtube.com/fimbulinmusic
http://www.soundcloud.com/fimbulin

FL Studio, Kontakt 5, orchestral mostly. I buy my gear.
I haunt skype so ask me questions there or viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8502
Fimbulin

Postby Freewave » 05 Nov 2013 14:59

HMage wrote:As I said, I'm strongly against blog format. I am convinced this approach will not work and will not mirror fimfiction experience for music.

A name change is required from fimmusic as hmage has spelled out. So fimmusic is out of the question as a url as the main domains are n/a. Having something available on tumblr, blogspot, and a main domain (.com , .net is essential) would be needed.

I still think this is an idea worth supporting but tbh that's up to the current staff of those who volunteered. I still think we can do this, that we NEED to do this, and we can make it a great community asset. But it's like the brony community itself. You have to believe in it for it to really work. The next 2 weeks are key in making that happen if we wish to.

At this point i'd like content to be on blogspot AND tumblr as they could easily copy from one to the other. One succeeds by a feed while to other is a better place you'd want to visit and look through regularly.
Freewave

Re: Downward Trajectory of Brony Music (New Blog Launch pg 3

Postby itroitnyah » 05 Nov 2013 16:51

Wee, jumping back into this thread.

First off, I just want to say that my opinions will follow suite with a lot of what HMage and ChocolateChicken have said. Just based on previous experiences with seeing promotional sites/blogs/labels jump up and claim themselves high and mighty (MonsterBrony, EFK, Equestrian Reverb to name a few that I still remember), and I stand highly doubtful that this will kick off very well.

Somebody mentioned somewhere inbetween here and two pages back something about the musicians not being the ones fading away, it's the listeners. Which really brings up that a lot of the listeners had the poni musicians they listened to, and those are the ones they only really cared about. Those artists that they followed were perhaps the only reason they listened to pony music, so now that those artists are gone, they are too, and they don't care about any other pony music.

Another thing that concerns me is advertising this blog. I remember seeing something somewhere in this post about promotion, but I don't seem to recall. Equestrian Reverb made a youtube video that got quite popular, I believe, and they fell down. Not to mention that the video was well made, the site itself looked like it had good management, was well made, looked good, the works. And they did the whole promotions, interviews, and news stuff as well. They even had a forum. What are you guys going to be doing differently that will drive traffic to the blog.

Also, Tumblr doesn't seem all that appropriate for a blog of this style. Something like whatever blog platform EqD uses looks a lot more professional, a lot more clean, and can definitely look better. Oh, and with the tumblr beta you guys have up, all the options and text buttons are way too small. If they're bigger, it'll have more appeal. Or perhaps that's just me as well, but it makes reading the buttons a bit harder for me. Maybe that's just me, though.

So yeah, uh, I'm just rambling now but yeah the blog isn't going to do well and it could use work and stuff.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Postby Freewave » 05 Nov 2013 18:54

I think we've done a good job of explaining throughout what we want to do and how to make it different from what's outside of here. I too have seen all these labels and sites come through here and fail but i think most have had bad ideas from the start and been unaware of how this community works or how to find ways to succeed and be different. Certainly having unknown artists cluster together for warmth is not the way to success. There's good musicians out there but it requires a little digging by the listener or in this case, us.

As for the "pony music is dying", i still dont believe its fair to truly call it that as there's so many people who still make this music and that listen to it but it is important to foster a better community spirit, for mlr and bmd to be a big part of that, and for this blog to be an extension of making this still possible for musicians and the fans of it alike. I don't believe on giving up on that.
Freewave

Postby itroitnyah » 05 Nov 2013 20:01

Freewave wrote:I think we've done a good job of explaining throughout what we want to do and how to make it different from what's outside of here. I too have seen all these labels and sites come through here and fail but i think most have had bad ideas from the start and been unaware of how this community works or how to find ways to succeed and be different. Certainly having unknown artists cluster together for warmth is not the way to success. There's good musicians out there but it requires a little digging by the listener or in this case, us.
Um, well, you pretty much described what the other people were trying to do. Not so much with EFK and Monsterbrony, but Equestrian Reverb specifically and a few others or something. Unless I'm missing something that you guys said you would be doing that ER did not...

As for the "pony music is dying", i still dont believe its fair to truly it call it that
When I say pony music is dying, I mean that there aren't very many pony songs that get big anymore. And I'm pretty sure that's what a lot of people mean when they say that.
itroitnyah

Postby ChocolateChicken » 06 Nov 2013 00:41

I agree with Hmage. I'd also like to add that we already have Everfree Network, EQD, MLR, and various other places including everyone's personal tumblr, youtube, and soundcloud. I don't see how a new website, let alone this one, is going to solve anything.
ChocolateChicken

Postby ganondox » 06 Nov 2013 06:31

It's a freaking tumblr. It's not great tragedy if a tumblr fails. There is no reason not to try. Anyway, I think being a tumblr is an advantage over being it's own website due to tumblrs subscription options. People wouldn't want to randomly visit some random website everyday, but if it's a tumblr they would get a steady feed.

The only reason why pony songs got big in the first place was because there wasn't that many songs and it was something new. Now they are songs like any other, they just happen to be about ponies. That's no reason to stop making music about ponies if you want to make music about ponies.
ganondox

Primary: Garage Band :P
Cutie Mark: Σ

Postby ClaviSound » 06 Nov 2013 10:55

ChocolateChicken wrote:I'd also like to add that we already have Everfree Network, EQD, MLR, and various other places including everyone's personal tumblr, youtube, and soundcloud.

The sites you've rattled off are limited in what they can do. We've already covered the fact that EFN is radio-based and so can't spread new music as effectively, EqD's prelistening system is biased, MLR isn't advertised enough, and personal blogs and social networking sites haven't worked that great thus far in preserving community oneness and spirit.

This is the point of a concept like FIMmusic (or whatever its name is now); it's not to compete with these people or to put songs through some sort of "process" or "judging panel" to determine whether it's worth posting, it's to say "here's some music we like that you should listen to." We aren't trying to sell a business, just a service for people who would like more music in their playlists but don't want to have to search it out.

itroitnyah wrote:Um, well, you pretty much described what the other people were trying to do. Not so much with EFK and Monsterbrony, but Equestrian Reverb specifically and a few others or something. Unless I'm missing something that you guys said you would be doing that ER did not...

The point is that this is just people writing about songs they like. It's not any more ambitious than that, at least to me. As long as I can write about a genre of music I love, then I don't really care if it gets 10 hits or 100. I personally think the reason why this issue is being brought up is people want to present the concept professionally to make a good impression to listeners; people assume this is an undertaking on the scale of sites like EFN and EqD, when really it's not.

itroitnyah wrote:When I say pony music is dying, I mean that there aren't very many pony songs that get big anymore. And I'm pretty sure that's what a lot of people mean when they say that.

Almost. When I say pony music is dying, I mean that there aren't very many pony songs not by the fandom's established musicians that get big anymore. The listeners are there, they're just not motivated to seek out new music.

Pony music, in a sense, is also dying because there is a catch-22 in the fandom of "You don't get exposure unless your popular, but to get popular, you have to get exposure." The fandom needs more people who are proactive and willing to judge on talent rather than the self-destructing philosophy that popularity = quality.

I absolutely hate generalizing the listener base like this, but the fact remains that the gap between the established musicians and the smaller ones grows every day, and attitudes like "it's just the way things work" are frankly silly. Guess what, it's going to be hard work to change the status quo. But that doesn't mean it's not worth trying.
aka Scott Hopkins aka Swerve Keystyle aka Equestrian Threat: https://www.youtube.com/c/EquestrianThreat

I can't type cursive, so I don't know what's supposed to go in my signature.

Don't quote me.
ClaviSound

Primary: Audacity cuz sweg, Ableton
Cutie Mark: N/A

Postby itroitnyah » 06 Nov 2013 15:09

ClaviSound wrote:The point is that this is just people writing about songs they like. It's not any more ambitious than that, at least to me. As long as I can write about a genre of music I love, then I don't really care if it gets 10 hits or 100. I personally think the reason why this issue is being brought up is people want to present the concept professionally to make a good impression to listeners; people assume this is an undertaking on the scale of sites like EFN and EqD, when really it's not.
So to sum it up, this whole blog idea is just to say "here's a song/musician that we liked"? That sounds a lot like what ER was doing, and pretty much every other promotional site/label made. The only difference that it seems you guys are doing, is you're not calling it promotional, just a blog. I'm not sure whether everybody else involved is calling it promotional or not, but it's pretty much a promotional blog. So I'll state it again, what are you guys going to do differently from all the other sites, Monsterybrony, EFK, MiAmore, EquestrianReverb to be specific, that will cause this blog to gain traffic?
itroitnyah

Postby Freewave » 06 Nov 2013 18:17

itroitnyah wrote:
ClaviSound wrote:The point is that this is just people writing about songs they like. It's not any more ambitious than that, at least to me. As long as I can write about a genre of music I love, then I don't really care if it gets 10 hits or 100. I personally think the reason why this issue is being brought up is people want to present the concept professionally to make a good impression to listeners; people assume this is an undertaking on the scale of sites like EFN and EqD, when really it's not.
So to sum it up, this whole blog idea is just to say "here's a song/musician that we liked"? That sounds a lot like what ER was doing, and pretty much every other promotional site/label made. The only difference that it seems you guys are doing, is you're not calling it promotional, just a blog. I'm not sure whether everybody else involved is calling it promotional or not, but it's pretty much a promotional blog. So I'll state it again, what are you guys going to do differently from all the other sites, Monsterybrony, EFK, MiAmore, EquestrianReverb to be specific, that will cause this blog to gain traffic?

Honestly we've spent 8 pages talking about the need of why we want to do this, how we want to, and why it's different then what's come before. I really do suggest reading through vs repeating ourselves to every cynic who enters the thread. This ISN"T a music label designed to get a batch of smaller musicians with varying quality noticed by a bigger brony community. It's not self-centered like that. It's a music blog designed to spotlight those who do a great job currently and are worth noticing by a musician or listener who is still interested in listening to this music. Not for your avg Tombstone fan but the person who really loves brony music and listening to or making it still.

As it stands we'll likely dial back some of the more ambitious elements of this blog and focus it as more of a MLR community tumblr with some other stuff as an addition of news, reviews, & events that will be on BMD's existing blog. We can always grow it and expand if we want to and there's an audience who wants that. But we really aren't looking for continued opinions on it at this point if you think its a bad idea. I don't mind some healthy skepticism (on what you would recommend doing) that i've come to expect from MLR but I'm sick of the continued cynicism from those who come in here to derail efforts to make something positive happen.
Freewave

Postby itroitnyah » 06 Nov 2013 19:37

Freewave wrote:Honestly we've spent 8 pages talking about the need of why we want to do this, how we want to, and why it's different then what's come before. I really do suggest reading through vs repeating ourselves to every cynic who enters the thread. This ISN"T a music label designed to get a batch of smaller musicians with varying quality noticed by a bigger brony community. It's not self-centered like that. It's a music blog designed to spotlight those who do a great job currently and are worth noticing by a musician or listener who is still interested in listening to this music. Not for your avg Tombstone fan but the person who really loves brony music and listening to or making it still.

As it stands we'll likely dial back some of the more ambitious elements of this blog and focus it as more of a MLR community tumblr with some other stuff as an addition of news, reviews, & events that will be on BMD's existing blog. We can always grow it and expand if we want to and there's an audience who wants that. But we really aren't looking for continued opinions on it at this point if you think its a bad idea. I don't mind some healthy skepticism (on what you would recommend doing) that i've come to expect from MLR but I'm sick of the continued cynicism from those who come in here to derail efforts to make something positive happen.
Alright, sorry for not reading all 8 pages.

However, I don't see how MiAmore, or ER were self centered. MiAmore was designed by people from this forum and didn't get very far at all. Furthermore, I still don't see the difference between the blog you guys are working on and EquestrianReverb, other than the forum linked to ER was actually part of the site directly. You can tell me as many times as you'd like that "we're not self centered" and "we're for the bronies who truly love pony music", and it doesn't mean anything to me because that is exactly what ER said, and that is what they acted on, only to surrender themselves a few weeks later to #ProjectPurplePony or whatever.

So if there is a solution on how to make this blog succeed somewhere in the past 8 pages, I haven't seen it, and apparently the other cynical people here haven't either, unless they failed to read much of the past 8 pages.
itroitnyah

PreviousNext

Return to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic