Who's the most overrated brony musician?

We all love it, otherwise it's unlikely you'd be here. Talk about the show and the fanbase surrounding it. Brony music discussions encouraged.

Re: Who's the most overrated brony musician?

Postby Coloriot » 20 Aug 2013 21:29

I've honestly never seen anyone call Aviators overrated. But in my opinion, he is. The vocals, whenever I listen to them, just make me cringe. And his songs usually have lyrics that seem kinda dorky. Don't get me wrong, he's good at his soundtrack, but the vocals I can't stand at all. Anypony else feel this way?
Colorkek that makes computer noises.

What's my main genre? All of them.

[Youtube] [Soundcloud] [EQBeats] [Bandcamp] [Twitter]
Coloriot

Primary: Ableton Live 7
Cutie Mark: Mac Color Wheel of Doom

Postby ganondox » 20 Aug 2013 21:51

Coloriot wrote:I've honestly never seen anyone call Aviators overrated. But in my opinion, he is. The vocals, whenever I listen to them, just make me cringe. And his songs usually have lyrics that seem kinda dorky. Don't get me wrong, he's good at his soundtrack, but the vocals I can't stand at all. Anypony else feel this way?

I get what your saying, he does put too much reverb on his vocals and otherwise overproduce them, but otherwise I don't mind too much. I agree he is overrated, but I like him well enough, and there are more overrated musicians than him.
ganondox

Primary: Garage Band :P
Cutie Mark: Σ

Postby Coloriot » 21 Aug 2013 09:51

ganondox wrote:
Coloriot wrote:I've honestly never seen anyone call Aviators overrated. But in my opinion, he is. The vocals, whenever I listen to them, just make me cringe. And his songs usually have lyrics that seem kinda dorky. Don't get me wrong, he's good at his soundtrack, but the vocals I can't stand at all. Anypony else feel this way?

I get what your saying, he does put too much reverb on his vocals and otherwise overproduce them, but otherwise I don't mind too much. I agree he is overrated, but I like him well enough, and there are more overrated musicians than him.

Like skrillex :p
Colorkek that makes computer noises.

What's my main genre? All of them.

[Youtube] [Soundcloud] [EQBeats] [Bandcamp] [Twitter]
Coloriot

Primary: Ableton Live 7
Cutie Mark: Mac Color Wheel of Doom

Postby CaptainFluffatun » 21 Aug 2013 10:59

"The Overrated Musicians Thread"

Otherwise known as

"The Be Mean About Other Musicians (Presumably) Behind Their Back Thread"
CaptainFluffatun

Primary: Cubase 5
Cutie Mark: Orchestral

Postby Nine Volt » 21 Aug 2013 11:00

CaptainFluffatun wrote:"The Overrated Musicians Thread"

Otherwise known as

"The Official 'Be Mean About Other Musicians Behind Their Back' Thread (Mod Endorsed)"

Fixed.
Nine Volt

Postby topitmunkeydog » 21 Aug 2013 11:20

yoooo
it's possible to discuss why a certain artist is overrated without them sucking. The Beatles are probably the most overrated band in history (maybe Nirvana or Pink Floyd too) but these are all three very good bands. I love the Beatles, and I think they're overrated. Even if the Beatles were my favorite band (which they aren't) I would still think of them as overrated. It doesn't have to turn into a discussion about musical merits.
Living Tombstone getting a remix of someone else's song onto Guitar Hero (or whatever video game)? that's overrrated. All this technical stuff you guys are talkin about, that's more of a matter of opinion (although anything in this thread is an opinion.)
topitmunkeydog

Primary: (trying to learn) ableton
Cutie Mark: yes

Postby Freewave » 21 Aug 2013 14:42

CaptainFluffatun wrote:"The Overrated Musicians Thread"

Otherwise known as

"The Be Mean About Other Musicians (Presumably) Behind Their Back Thread"

Kyoga wrote:Do you guys really think it's a good idea to have a thread that's about railing against musicians you guys think are 'overrated'?

Yeah tbh i too think this wasn't a good idea to create this thread either. It's standard policy not to have threads talking crap about fellow musicians, whether they post here anymore or not. As you've noticed almost anyone who's big LEAVES mlr and we dont want to give them reasons not to be here or to return. Hence the lock.

What most people have forgotten about with Tomb is he's the MOST recognizable musician by far. The fact that most people know what he looks like, that he hangs out and is seen all over bronycon and youtube is what makes him different then 99% of the other musicians. I'll also give him credit that while he's succeeded through a ton of collaborations and remixes and that he hasn't delved into drama or negativity like some well known musician have. Clearly I'm not sure why he's #1 but i know why he's popular as he's a hitmaker and has more variety and well known tracks then doubters give him credit for. ;)

If you guys really wanna stop the whole "overrated" musician thing start hyping people YOU do like that put out good music and could use the help. You have up to 10 ytube channels that pop up when people hit your subscribe button and those selected should be peers and friends that you recommend. Don't recommend people that are so well known that they don't NEED any help and don't be afraid to leave comments when someone makes a track that you think is exceptional and different.

A comment is like pulling someone aside and saying that you enjoyed a track and thats a lot more fufilling to a musician than an anonymous thumbs up. Let's not forget that positive feedback is still what makes us spend weeks and loads of hours on a track and makes both us and others think that it was all worth it. We should never think we are too cool to acknowledge when we like what other people do. :)
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Previous

Return to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic