Brony Media

We all love it, otherwise it's unlikely you'd be here. Talk about the show and the fanbase surrounding it. Brony music discussions encouraged.

Brony Media

Postby Brony Media » 07 Jul 2013 17:09

First off, if this is the wrong place for a thread like this, then please move it (not really a proper section for this).

Here is a quick little description (Stolen from our FB page):
"Founded on July 4th, 2013, Brony Media is a network of channels striving to promote the content that the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic community produces. There are numerous artists in the fandom, many of which are not well-known. We're here to fix that. Being a music label, we sign artist's songs and release them every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday (may change). We follow a business model that is quite different from other record labels, in a good way! We'll release albums frequently throughout the year, with all proceeds going right back to the artists! We love our producers, and will continue to help them strive for success! /)"

We're Brony Media, a record label made for bronies, by bronies. We're looking for aspiring artists who'd like to be a part of our community. We currently encompass the EDM scene, consisting of all of its sub genres, be that chill, nu disco, dubstep, electro, hardstyle, trap, etc. We'll eventually be spanning all the genres that this fandom produces. We believe that the fandom has some under appreciated artists. We're striving to solve that by forming a record label around the brilliant pieces of music that this community produces. Being apart of this community has its benefits. The producers will get all proceeds from any money made off of an album released by us. Our first three albums will be released free, to get us going, but after that, any money made will come right back to you. We're looking for original tracks, we sadly, cannot accept remixes or bootlegs. If you want to be a part, contact us on Skype. Our Skype name is "BronyMedia", without the quotes of course. You may also email us at: [email protected]. We can provide you with a little FAQ once added on Skype or emailed. Thanks for your time! /)

Any feedback would be appreciated! :)

EDIT: Here's some links:
http://www.youtube.com/ElectrobronyMedia
https://soundcloud.com/electrobrony
https://twitter.com/BronyMedia

EDIT 2: Read this post for an updated business model.
Last edited by Brony Media on 08 Jul 2013 19:43, edited 2 times in total.
Brony Media

Re: Brony Media

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 07 Jul 2013 17:20

I've dealt with 'record labels' on the internet before. I offer 2 peices of advice;

NEVER sell something without the content producers direct consent.
If you decide you don't like a song after it's been released, too bad. It stays.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby Brony Media » 07 Jul 2013 17:23

Mr. Bigglesworth wrote:NEVER sell something without the content producers direct consent.

We get explicit written permission for each track released through us.
Brony Media

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 07 Jul 2013 17:26

Brony Media wrote:
Mr. Bigglesworth wrote:NEVER sell something without the content producers direct consent.

We get explicit written permission for each track released through us.

Good. It's nothing personal. I and other people on this forum have had a bit of bad luck with this kinda thing.

*cough*Pinnacle Records*cough*
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby Nine Volt » 07 Jul 2013 17:29

Good luck. No offense, but this type of thing tends not to work out well. See: EKF, MiAmore, etc.
Nine Volt

Postby Brony Media » 07 Jul 2013 18:11

Nine Volt wrote:Good luck. No offense, but this type of thing tends not to work out well. See: EKF, MiAmore, etc.

We'll see. We got a good bit of artists quite excited for our future. It may seem ambitious, but I think we'll make it work.
Brony Media

Postby Nine Volt » 07 Jul 2013 18:15

Brony Media wrote:
Nine Volt wrote:Good luck. No offense, but this type of thing tends not to work out well. See: EKF, MiAmore, etc.

We'll see. We got a good bit of artists quite excited for our future. It may seem ambitious, but I think we'll make it work.

Who, if I may ask?
Nine Volt

Postby Freewave » 07 Jul 2013 18:23

I have to echo the sentiment that this has been done many times and failed many times before. I'd like to know what prior experience you have to make this work, do you have anyone on board, and why anyone would get an advantage going through an unknown label over releasing music themselves through bandcamp and just getting eqd to eventually feature it?
Last edited by Freewave on 07 Jul 2013 18:41, edited 1 time in total.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby itroitnyah » 07 Jul 2013 18:38

Not trying to be mean or anything, but I give you a maximum of one month before "Brony Media" dies off and falls to an abandoned corner of the internet, just like EFK, Monsterbrony and MiAmore Media. Two weeks is my minimum, but that's because I'm being nice.

Listen kid, you have heart and you're trying, but bronies have the fandom music promotion sites that they go to a visit, such as equestria daily, the everfree network, sabertooth's "songs of the month", even equestrian beats. They're content with their sites and those are what they're going to stick with them. Also, the name is slightly unoriginal, as there are other people using that name or very similar names: person 1 person 2 person 3

But other than that, if you want to get anywhere, you need to have people to critique the songs you plan on posting, because if you're critiquing songs to post on some pair of shitty $50 headphones, your promotional page will only get so far. Get some people who are good with music, have the sound systems to critique work and advise you on who to feature and who not to feature. A word of advice as well, in order for this promotional page to work, it has to be work that's well made and sounds good. It can't be purely what you like. Oh, and don't sell the music under your own label's name, just link to the page where the listener can purchase the music directly from the artist. Not so much of a hassle then.

Oh, please provide a link to your label's youtube account, facebook, soundcloud, bandcamp, or wherever else you can be found so that people can find you.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Nine Volt » 07 Jul 2013 18:47

Ah, Monsterbrony. That's the one I forgot. I'll stop being nice and just say I agree with itroitnyah: unless it has some serious support by big artists, this is going to wallow in the forgotten annals of the internet very quickly.
Nine Volt

Postby Brony Media » 07 Jul 2013 19:17

Freewave wrote:I'd like to know what prior experience you have to make this work, do you have anyone on board, and why anyone would get an advantage going through an unknown label over releasing music themselves

We have no prior experience as a 'record label', but we've dabbled about as artists ourselves and spent quite a bit of time researching how labels function.

itroitnyah wrote:Also, the name is slightly unoriginal, as there are other people using that name or very similar names

Although it may sound generic, upon our research, it was widely unused, or if it was, unheard of.

itroitnyah wrote:Because if you're critiquing songs to post on some pair of shitty $50 headphones

I actually use a pair of Sennheiser 598's, I think that qualifies. XD
Last edited by Brony Media on 06 Aug 2013 08:02, edited 1 time in total.
Brony Media

Postby Nine Volt » 07 Jul 2013 19:20

Yeah, well, I wish you the best of luck.
Nine Volt

Postby Brony Media » 07 Jul 2013 19:26

Nine Volt wrote:Yeah, well, I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks! <3
Brony Media

Postby Conduit » 07 Jul 2013 19:29

Brony Media wrote:
itroitnyah wrote:Oh, and don't sell the music under your own label's name, just link to the page where the listener can purchase the music directly from the artist.

That defeats the purpose of the label. The purpose is to get the artists more money than what they were already making. Like I said, it'll be a rough start, but we should pull through.

Please, please do not do that. Unless you have the legal team to deal with all the paperwork this is a recipe for disaster. Maybe releasing mixes occasionally under the labels name would be OK, but leave the actual money to the artists. A simple link in the description will earn the artists just as much, if not more money then releasing it yourself. Also, I think you'll be hard pressed to find any artists at this stage willing to give even a tiny portion of their money to you.
https://soundcloud.com/flatflish/a-warm-past

DAW: Logic 9
Vst's: Absynth, Battery, FM8, Guitar Rig, Kontakt, Massive, Maschine
Real Instruments: Acoustic/Electric Guitar, Cello, Piano

YoutubeSoundcloudTutors ThreadSkype: FlatflishImage
Conduit

Primary: Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: Strings

Postby Brony Media » 07 Jul 2013 19:42

Flatflish wrote:Please, please do not do that. Unless you have the legal team to deal with all the paperwork this is a recipe for disaster. Maybe releasing mixes occasionally under the labels name would be OK, but leave the actual money to the artists. A simple link in the description will earn the artists just as much, if not more money then releasing it yourself. Also, I think you'll be hard pressed to find any artists at this stage willing to give even a tiny portion of their money to you.

We actually do have a legal department, believe it or not, handling that. Explicit permission is acquired for each track before release, the release form is very specific. And we don't take any money from the albums themselves. The proceeds are automatically spat back at the artists. It would be simpler to simply link to the artist's bandcamp, or something similar, but we were founded as a label over a promoter, for many reasons. Personally, not sure about the other BM members, one pet peeve I have is that when I download brony music, it comes as singles, there's rarely albums, which clogs up my music library. This is also why I love the compilation albums that the fandom produces (Rainbow & Rooted, Balloon Party, etc.).
Brony Media

Postby Conduit » 07 Jul 2013 19:52

Eh, I could type paragraphs of why I don't think this will work out, but I'll let you try.

Best of luck, go prove me wrong.
https://soundcloud.com/flatflish/a-warm-past

DAW: Logic 9
Vst's: Absynth, Battery, FM8, Guitar Rig, Kontakt, Massive, Maschine
Real Instruments: Acoustic/Electric Guitar, Cello, Piano

YoutubeSoundcloudTutors ThreadSkype: FlatflishImage
Conduit

Primary: Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: Strings

Postby itroitnyah » 07 Jul 2013 20:07

Wow, you're really damn sure about yourself. A legal team seems a bit over the edge. How'd you also get 40 people to come onto your team to critique the music submitted or found, anyways? And how many actually music-production experienced judges do you have on your team? If you just have 30-40 regular joes-off-the-streets, your label won't go anywhere fast. It's also strongly recommended that you have a minimum of 2-4 people in that mix of judges with actual studio sound setups (For example, I use Yamaha HS80M studio reference monitors, they cost $250 per speaker, and I'm going to be getting acoustic panels to do a basic treating of my room fairly soon). While they don't have to be big and fancy $1500-per-reference-monitor setups, some of the judges should be able to evaluate the songs on a studio and/or producer level.

Also, seriously abandon the idea of putting the songs up under your own label's release purchase. Even Monstercat doesn't do that. Besides, these artists aren't exactly going to be raking in $$$ bIg bUCks $$$ with their music. And as a final recommendation, I recommend that you yourself learn a bit about music. It will help.

Good luck with this then, we'll see how it goes.
itroitnyah

Postby Brony Media » 07 Jul 2013 20:17

itroitnyah wrote:How'd you also get 40 people to come onto your team to critique the music submitted or found, anyways? And how many actually music-production experienced judges do you have on your team?

I own a TeamSpeak server with a good bit of people constantly active, they are currently the "listensers". Although, only about 3 of them actually have a studio setup.

itroitnyah wrote:Also, seriously abandon the idea of putting the songs up under your own label's release purchase. Even Monstercat doesn't do that.

But they do? Please elaborate.

itroitnyah wrote:I recommend that you yourself learn a bit about music.

I'm trying, it's difficult to get started and my kicks sound like crap, but with time...
Brony Media

Postby itroitnyah » 07 Jul 2013 20:31

Alright, I guess that Monstercat sometimes does and they sometimes don't. It depends on the release that they're doing. I still strongly suggest that you don't put a label purchase site up, and just link to the person's own bandcamp or such. Other than this, good luck with this. Although I still have my doubts this will go anywhere.
itroitnyah

Postby Navron » 07 Jul 2013 20:51

@Brony Media:

Please don't get defensive. The relatively harsh responses by some people are not necessarily directed at you personally, but rather at this entire idea of a brony music label/producer. It's been tried before, you say you're different, but from our perspective, every damn person who's tried has also said that they're different, or illustrated many reasons why they will succeed. No matter how you word it, you sound like every other attempted label in this area, and considering we're talking about contracts, real money, and potential legal issues that can impact our lives, trying to persuade us to have faith in you succeeding is not enough to get us interested, especially when it sounds the same as 4 others who have failed.

We're not harping on you, and I'm even sure most of us would actually want a good label or promoter to help musicians in the fandom, but we need REAL examples of your team showing that you know what you're doing, not "plans," of how you're going to do things. If you already have 10 artists, good on ya, but don't expect any from here unless you show some real progress with those 10.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby the4thImpulse » 08 Jul 2013 00:08

Brony Media wrote:
itroitnyah wrote:How'd you also get 40 people to come onto your team to critique the music submitted or found, anyways? And how many actually music-production experienced judges do you have on your team?

I own a TeamSpeak server with a good bit of people constantly active, they are currently the "listensers". Although, only about 3 of them actually have a studio setup.

So many red flags going after reading that. Pease share, in great detail, everyone's personal experience in the industry and how that applies together position in 'Brony Media's' company. That is th only way I can begin to tust you (and every other attempt at this brony label thing).

I also have yet to find any real good benefits from being on a brony label. The big benefits of labels in real life are the employees experience, real world money, promotion, and touring funds (this is all to my understanding of labels and all really general).

I also currently work for a real life, electronic, label as a producer (as in helping artists produce better tacks, kinda a more hands on judge).
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8

Postby itroitnyah » 08 Jul 2013 14:21

Well, now you have Equestrian Reverb to be competing against as well. Good luck trying, lol
itroitnyah

Postby Nine Volt » 08 Jul 2013 14:55

itroitnyah wrote:Well, now you have Equestrian Reverb to be competing against as well. Good luck trying, lol

That sounds like a VST designed to simulate the exact reverb produced in specific areas of Equestria, based on simulations calculated from the rough size of the average pony, which is then compared to the height of the surroundings and used to generate a reverb sim based on these findings.

I want it.
Nine Volt

Postby Brony Media » 08 Jul 2013 19:42

I spent the majority of my day re-working our business model, based on the feedback here.
- Any album released by us will be released as a "name-your-price" album on Bandcamp.
- The money made from these albums will still go right back to the artists.
- Each track uploaded will link to the artist's Bandcamp so you may download/buy the song from them directly if you don't want the entire album, or don't want to have to wait for its release.
- Our label is now more like a promoter, rather than a full-blown label.
- Our promotion will act as a platform for artists to get critique on their work, it is much easier to get a song released through us, although, still the same method of getting permission to release it.
- We'd like some more feedback, the responses here changed how this will all work, and any more feedback would be appreciated! ^^

Thanks!
Brony Media

Postby JSynth » 08 Jul 2013 20:12

Navron, I think this should go under community.

@BronyMedia I am still unsure what the advantage of signing on to you would be over just submitting a track to EQD and EFN.
https://soundcloud.com/jasper-synth/back-at-me
Jokeblue wrote:You fool. You've doomed the Spam thread to yet another, inevitable :3 spam.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

DAW: Logic Pro 9
Plugins: Sylenth, Sausage Fattener, Komplete 9, NI The Mouth, Ozone 5, Bitspeek
JSynth

Primary: Logic 9
Cutie Mark: yo face

Next

Return to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic