MLP TV movie + New Branch off MLP:FiM

We all love it, otherwise it's unlikely you'd be here. Talk about the show and the fanbase surrounding it. Brony music discussions encouraged.

Re: MLP TV movie + New Branch off MLP:FiM

Postby Sonarch » 12 Feb 2013 21:27

itroitnyah wrote:Well, it's sorta confirmed by EqD. We're still holding our breaths over how the rumors could now possibly be true, but we're waiting until we hear word from Hasbro.

Well the spinoff itself I believe, just not sure about that picture, I mean it did come from like 4chan right? Or did I read that wrong?
My goal is to be capable of making any kind of music that strikes my fancy, and do it well.
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Primary: FL Studio

Postby ghelded_kultz » 13 Feb 2013 01:05

I think the best solution on ourside is to ignore this, let it tank and be cancelled, and hopefully Hasbro will let the team put more effort into the main series and intervene with it less.

-Soft D. String DeHooves
"Wherever we are, what we hear is mostly noise. When we ignore it, it disturbs us. When we listen to it, we find it fascinating." - John Cage

Trolls and makers of bad music, thats us!
http://soundcloud.com/ghelded-kultz/tracks
ghelded_kultz

Postby Matthew N. » 13 Feb 2013 04:19

Humanized ponies? No, I am not going to watch that. I won't even give it a shoot, as the very idea to me is terrible. Try-hards...
Matthew N.

Postby itroitnyah » 13 Feb 2013 06:44

Alright, we'll tell you how it turns out, Matt.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Applejinx » 13 Feb 2013 07:54

I can see the logic of it all, I just don't like it.

Ponies: effectively young adult equines, smart, independent and capable in an adventurous/community setting. They go around without clothes so (Disney-style) THE PLOT is much in evidence. They don't behave childishly so their behavior doesn't pander that hard to a supposed little-girl audience- by design they have more backbone than that, by storyline and setting they have grander purposes and agendas, among them individuality, community and loyalty.

Little humanized girls at a school: Less plot on several levels! There are two ways the characterization can go: one, Strawberry Shortcake. They get stupid and consumed with supposed little-girl notions (Faust nightmare #1) and become a mockery of their characters, abandoning the adventure side of things and becoming flirtatious and interested in boys. (interested in each other is probably off limits) The other way the characterization can go is as follows- darker and edgier, in an attempt to drag the brony audience AWAY from the poni ponies. This is not impossible- it's easy to see how much cloppy stuff is humanized, and it might seem like the brony audience is desperately looking for just this sort of thing to fetishize. It would be a swerve over to try and grab what I might call an anime audience- letting the characters and the produced show serve as bait, and counting on the fandom to do the dirty work.
Some interesting points about that: if it's the mane cast transformed into little girls, they're actually adult ponies mentally. On the other hand, the writers of the real show haven't always been flawless about maintaining the original tone, so I really doubt this is going to be convincingly like the ponies we care about- the characterization's gonna slip.
If they don't bring Lyra, they are complete bastards :D
I'm betting that this is not necessarily meant to draw little girls away from the show. It could be meant to draw bronies away from the show which would be refocussed on little girls. Strangely, that might not hurt: it all depends on whether the writers internalized Lauren Faust's intention of strong, independent female roles. A lot of the brony influence (like The Dude cameos, etc) didn't do a thing to support the real heart of the show. I'd be absolutely fine with the pandering-stuff being drawn off into a more 'ironic' show because MLP:FIM is not ironic, and attempts to make it 'cooler' completely and catastrophically miss the point.
Sure is gonna be interesting in poni fandom...
Applejinx

Postby nOk » 13 Feb 2013 10:12

I'll need to see what the show is like actually. I don't think we can actually know what the goal of the show is until we see what they do with it. If it has good writing and an interesting plot, then I think it was actually a genuine attempt at getting people to watch it. If it seems half-assed, we'll know it was just an attempt to cash in on it more. As for the design, I think it was meant to improve the image of the people who watch it. It won't have the element of people making nsfw fanart of multicolored ponies, which is one of the bad wraps that bronies get as a whole.
nOk

Primary: FL 11
Cutie Mark: A better username

Postby ph00tbag » 13 Feb 2013 11:02

Applejinx, the show isn't meant to draw away bronies, it's meant to draw in older girls. More than anything else, I think it's trying to put the glitz on the high school lifestyle for young girls who are on the cusp of high school, but aren't attending it yet (because anyone who's been to high school knows that it's really not that interesting, and hopefully won't be interested in coming home from school to watch a fictionalized and idealized depiction of their daily life).

What I see happening is that the show will try to explore the things girls will encounter in high school. And this really doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy. I love MLP for the setting, and the fact that the uniqueness of the world and the liberating social structure of pony culture empower the mane characters to explore the world independently. It's difficult to do the same thing with high school, since teenagers really don't have that much independence, save the symbolic acts of rebellion which are dictated to them by their culture anyway.

The show could be saved by some kind of Magical Girl or Tokusatsu elements where the underlying themes of each episode are complimented by whimsical and escapist adventures, but I don't see it happening. Go look at all of the other teenager cartoons based on toys that have come out in the US. That's the stuff that toy companies think works. Unless Hasbro is really trying to break the mold once again, I don't see a very enjoyable show coming out of this.

I will simply treat this as some wacko alternate universe deal, and will probably ignore it completely.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Postby soultensionbenjamin » 13 Feb 2013 11:14

i hated the way this looked at first i grew to love it

and it took all my manhood to admit i liked this show.
soultensionbenjamin

Postby Spactrum » 13 Feb 2013 15:29

It says it airs this spring:
-Twilight has to write her own magic
-becomes princess
-writes secret spell at the end of the episode
-Equestria Girls will start after that
-FLASHBACK: Twilight teleports/copies herself and friends into an altenate reality, becoming a human while the stories of Ponyville continue
-Plot for EG will be magnificent
-Season 1 last episode:
-Twilight gets the chance to make everything back normal
-Dramatic sad shit all over the place
-Friends they found won't exist anymore and shit gets serious

>every little girl knows complex phisical theories
>MLP fans rise into the upper class of society and form their own country of high-intelligent lifeforms
>war breaks out
>Genetics will be improved strongly, creating realistic cartoon "ponies"
>Ponies survive the Yolocoaust
>Reform whole planet with the church of Celestia
>history of mankind will start over, but with ponies
> November 13, 2589
>internet hype about a show about cute little humans #

>Faust has doomed humanity for all eternity

(don't try to understand that, I'm just me after all)
DAW: Fl Studio 10, Ableton Live 8
VSTs: Nexus²(fuck you Sytrus), GuitarRig 5, Vocaloid (yes, Vocaloid is a VST too)

I'm good at 3D Animations too
I can make you a Visualiser

https://soundcloud.com/spactrum/love-is-in-bloom-house-remix
Spactrum

Postby ghelded_kultz » 14 Feb 2013 04:01

The editor of the magazine confirmed that it is legit.

http://www.derpyhoovesnews.com/equestri ... ncept-art/
Bottom of the article.
"Wherever we are, what we hear is mostly noise. When we ignore it, it disturbs us. When we listen to it, we find it fascinating." - John Cage

ghelded_kultz

Postby Freewave » 15 Feb 2013 14:50

Really not liking this idea at all. I mean who will this be marketed to? If they go after the Barbie / Monsters High fanbase they are just targetting it more for girls and less for bronies. Why are they human? What will they do all day (go to high school?). It just sounds so dumb and unneeded. Just make FIM good, don't divert resources for it....
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Navron » 16 Feb 2013 18:09

Part of MLP:FiM's appeal is in the anthropomorphic quality of it. It's enjoyable to watch cute and cuddly critters behave like humans, as evidenced by nearly every cat video ever.

With a humanized version of the same characters, you lose that appeal.

For example, just the simple fact the ponies are able to grasp small objects and function as a society that has no hands is intriguing, where something as simple as grabbing a stick...

...ends up adorable due to the sheer absurdity of it.

With humans, that special anthropomorphic appeal is lost, so a show like that cannot function on a basis of human characters doing human things. It's the equivalent of taking Shpongebob Squarepants and taking the show outside of the water. Suddenly all the puns and clever absurdities are null and void, and the show loses its appeal.

There's really only 2 ways that a humanized version of MLP will have some sort of appeal outside of being a very bland show.

1. The characters focus on more in-depth human characteristics such as love interests, extreme sports, etc. In the end you have a completely girly show.

2. The characters tie into the original show, but instead of ponies with human problems, they become humans with pony problems. In this case, it would be totally awesome, and I'd be all for it.

Unfortunately, most of the evidence points towards #1, so I see this completely doomed to fail.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby soultensionbenjamin » 16 Feb 2013 19:06

idk i kind of like girly shows

like as told by ginger and
unfabolous
boy meets world
anyway great writers can make terrible ideas into really compelling story's so until we see it i just don't see why your bashing it based on just on how it looks.
soultensionbenjamin

Postby KingTrollestia » 16 Feb 2013 20:26

DAW: Logic Pro 9

Studying to become an Audio Engineer, amongst making kick ass music

VST: Massive, Kontakt 5, Reaktor 5, Absynth 5, NLogPoly Synth

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/KingTrollestia
KingTrollestia

Postby nOk » 16 Feb 2013 21:00

hmmm, ok. Not sure whether or not to make of that. It sounds like there will be a confirmed ending to it (I hope)
nOk

Postby itroitnyah » 16 Feb 2013 21:20

I'm not very inclined to trust 4chan, they're more of comedic to me. So until there is substantial evidence that there is actually a person from the inside spilling the beans, I render this null and void.

I personally will give the show a change, maybe around 2-3 episodes in depending on how good it is. If it fails to impress me well enough within the first two episodes, then I just won't watch it, so whatever. But until then, I'll start watching Littlest Pet Shop while I wait. I saw an episode of it once and I quite liked it but then never bothered to watch any more episodes since.
itroitnyah

Postby KingTrollestia » 16 Feb 2013 22:23

I'm hoping its true. It sounds amazing and would coincide the whole "This is gonna be a 3 parter"
DAW: Logic Pro 9

Studying to become an Audio Engineer, amongst making kick ass music

VST: Massive, Kontakt 5, Reaktor 5, Absynth 5, NLogPoly Synth

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/KingTrollestia
KingTrollestia

Postby Pimps_McGee » 16 Feb 2013 23:58

itroitnyah wrote:I'm not very inclined to trust 4chan, they're more of comedic to me.

O ye of little faith.
Pimps_McGee

Postby nOk » 17 Feb 2013 00:29

KingTrollestia wrote:I'm hoping its true. It sounds amazing and would coincide the whole "This is gonna be a 3 parter"

How so?

In all honesty I think that the spin-off will be a flop. But, I'm very curious to see what this movie will be like, and then season 4. Speaking of which, Ingram was only paid for 4 seasons, right? Does that mean season 4 will be the end, or have they just not paid Ingram to work on a fifth season? When did we find out there would be a season 4?
nOk

Postby ghelded_kultz » 17 Feb 2013 03:05

KingTrollestia wrote:I'm hoping its true. It sounds amazing and would coincide the whole "This is gonna be a 3 parter"

OH NO YOU DON'T! They better not tie this stupid series in with FiM's 3 parter, that would be the. Worst. Possible. Thing.

-Soft D. String DeHooves

ghelded_kultz

Postby itroitnyah » 17 Feb 2013 07:20

Pimps_McGee wrote:O ye of little faith.

I didn't say that 4chan was always trolling, I just have a tendency not to believe them. If what they're saying IS true, then yay, I guess? But regardless, I'm still going to wait for it to air before I start to make huge opinions such as "It's going to be the worse thing on TV in ages"
itroitnyah

Postby XXDarkShadow79XX » 17 Feb 2013 09:57

Maybe this is what they want. Maybe this is all part of Hasbro's EVIL plan...

First Fighting is Magic, then Twilight, and now this...

THEY'RE TEARING US APART!!!
XXDarkShadow79XX

Primary: FL

Postby Sonarch » 17 Feb 2013 10:08

TIME TO FREAK OUT EVERYONE!!!!11!1!1!!!
My goal is to be capable of making any kind of music that strikes my fancy, and do it well.
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Postby nOk » 17 Feb 2013 10:27

ghelded_kultz wrote:

OH NO YOU DON'T! They better not tie this stupid series in with FiM's 3 parter, that would be the. Worst. Possible. Thing.

-Soft D. String DeHooves

Nah. The spin-off comes out in spring, and the next season comes out in about a little more than 6 months. Two different times.

Y'know, I don't see what the big deal is. Twilight just got a pair of wings. That, and I can totally see an episode where Twilight doesnt want to be an alicorn/princess because she doesnt feel ready or like it was her "destiny" in the first place. It might be something along the lines of "my destiny is right here with my friends in Ponyville" and Rarity is all like "ARE YOU SERIOUS!?" and Spike is all like "are you sure you want to do this?" But Twilights is all "Yes" and has a big epiphany speech and things go back to normal. It could happen!

Right?

...right?
nOk

Postby Matthew N. » 17 Feb 2013 18:13

So are there any exact dates for the movie and s4 premiere?
Matthew N.

PreviousNext

Return to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic