Opinions of Alicorn Twilight (and some facts?)

We all love it, otherwise it's unlikely you'd be here. Talk about the show and the fanbase surrounding it. Brony music discussions encouraged.

Opinions of Alicorn Twilight (and some facts?)

Postby VINXIS » 30 Jan 2013 23:13

I felt like some people will probably start talking about it here, so might as well I don't know why this'll be locked since it is at its right place, but if it is... I'm sorry for whatever I did... ;~:. This'll also probably be the thread that'll boost my post mark, since it always looks like I've been inactive... when I really am, just haven't been posting (yes that's offtopic, sorry lol)

Reference: http://family-room.ew.com/2013/01/29/my ... -princess/

Facts: So Meghan released info that the season finale will have Twilight being coronated and becoming into an alicorn and a princess as the finale for the season. It will have no mental changes to her, it will only give her physical changes (as in, wings). They said it was to show kids that not everyone can be a princess and that becoming a princess is a huge responsibility, "but you can live up to the ideals that should come along with being a princess.”

Opinion: I'm really indifferent about the Alicorn Twilight thing. It might be a very cool thing, but then again, there is going to be another season (and maybe more) and that Alicorn Twilight kind of makes it like... a series finale, more than a season finale. So I support the fact that there's going to be a change, but I don't see how they'll pull it off...

Unless...

If they have a plot twist and that she doesn't want to become a princess anymore because of losing her social interactions with her friends.

Now I also think there there's a hint of douchebaggery. I think there's a chance that the mlp staff is fucking with us, and that this is actually not going to happen. But I'm almost sure it won't happen... it might... but I'm sure it won't. (Though they did say there was going to be a coronation)

What do you guys think
Last edited by VINXIS on 31 Jan 2013 07:12, edited 1 time in total.
VINXIS

Primary: Ableton 9 live (like 99% of the time)
Cutie Mark: pls

Re: Opinions of Alicorn Twilight (and some facts?)

Postby VINXIS » 30 Jan 2013 23:45

Lol it's funny since it's true, the fanfics are the ones who make things a big deal, I brought the thread up only to speculate about a unicorn getting wings lol
VINXIS

Postby vladnuke » 31 Jan 2013 00:09

Lol alicorn drama. I think they'll pull a Hussie-patented psyche-out and turn Twilight back into a unicorn.
vladnuke

Postby Motivfs » 31 Jan 2013 01:11

My thoughts on Alicorn Twilight...

Motivfs

Postby vladnuke » 31 Jan 2013 01:28

If it's temporary, then that'll make for a cool episode, but that's about it.

If it's permanent, then a few things happen:

Twilight is now raised above her friends permanently.

Twilight is now a perfect Mary Sue.

All of this will depend on the properties of alicorns, which the show never really explains. Yeah, they're gods, but they can be beaten, and aren't omniscient. And, as we see with Cadence, they age, with the exception of luna and celestia. The episode can concieveably have her be an alicorn and still be a true friend, just as long as she retains a vulnerability. Because if Twilight stops being a student and becomes a teacher, then the show loses it's original drive. And then it's going to be the Rarity show with Rarity going around everywhere and being sassy and lovable and she'll adopt Spike and act sassy and that will be the best show.

Guise, lets do this, alicorn twi is the best lets make this the rarity show.
vladnuke

Postby Motivfs » 31 Jan 2013 01:36

vladnuke wrote:If it's temporary, then that'll make for a cool episode, but that's about it.

If it's permanent, then a few things happen:

Twilight is now raised above her friends permanently.

Twilight is now a perfect Mary Sue.

All of this will depend on the properties of alicorns, which the show never really explains. Yeah, they're gods, but they can be beaten, and aren't omniscient. And, as we see with Cadence, they age, with the exception of luna and celestia. The episode can concieveably have her be an alicorn and still be a true friend, just as long as she retains a vulnerability. Because if Twilight stops being a student and becomes a teacher, then the show loses it's original drive. And then it's going to be the Rarity show with Rarity going around everywhere and being sassy and lovable and she'll adopt Spike and act sassy and that will be the best show.

Guise, lets do this, alicorn twi is the best lets make this the rarity show.

Pls yes.
Motivfs

Postby Gray Ham » 31 Jan 2013 01:40

@Vladnuke: Because only the highest level of magic users can perform age spells, I'm guessing that Cadance isn't at that level.

I don't really care about this. I don't think Twi is becoming an alicorn, and if she does, whoop-de-doo.
We'll see a real change in the formula of the episodes.

spike is a fucking idiot omg
currently on a hiatus from actively making music due to school

ImageImage
What's soaking wet and clueless?
Gray Ham

Primary: ACID
Cutie Mark: A Trumpet

Postby bartekko » 31 Jan 2013 04:09

my opinion: WOW FUCKING FINALLY A SECOND PAIR OF ACTUALLY USABLE WINGS IN THE MAIN SIX FLUTTERSHY SUCKS GIVE HER WINGS TO PINKIE PIE WOW JESUS YOU YELLOW POS
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby K3WRO » 31 Jan 2013 05:46

I am more afraid of the butt-hurt brony flame war rather than the actual episode coming out

I'm all indifferent, It'll be cool if she turn an alicorn for a moment but realizes that this means she has to leave her friends forever so she declines the offer or something.
Soundcloud : http://www.soundcloud.com/megapie-1
Youtube : http://www.youtube.com/user/antigravtoast2/featured

-I'm not Dead, I just don't make small horse music anymore-
K3WRO

Primary: Reason
Cutie Mark: Your Face

Postby Gray Ham » 31 Jan 2013 05:59

Oh, and while I realised I'm probably wrong and it will happen, for some reason I don't think it will be in this season.

ImageImage
Gray Ham

Postby itroitnyah » 31 Jan 2013 07:01

I don't care, they'll make the episode good anyways.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby VINXIS » 31 Jan 2013 07:08

K3WRO wrote:I am more afraid of the butt-hurt brony flame war rather than the actual episode coming out

I'm all indifferent, It'll be cool if she turn an alicorn for a moment but realizes that this means she has to leave her friends forever so she declines the offer or something.

I think this is the problem with the fandom. They'll start getting buttmad over something that they'd already asked for... I don't get why they always make a shitstorm over what they get.

But yea, I agree with KEWRO, pretty indifferent, as I had said.
VINXIS

Postby Freewave » 31 Jan 2013 11:45

Nothing wrong with a show changing its characters and overall plot a bit from season to season. If it gives the characters something to do and something new then it's better than them just sitting around and waiting for new adventures to happen in the same boring environment. We don't want this show to be like Deep Space Nine with them shooting the shit every episode. Let's have some adventures, travel a bit, not be afraid of changes, and let's realize that Twilight has been the chosen one and been raised to prepare for this for the last 3 seasons. Alicorn Twilight can be what this show needs. No butthurt in advance people. Just see how this plays out. Change is good and it's what this show needs right now. .
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby penguindf12 » 31 Jan 2013 15:07

Sorry Freewave, I'm going to disagree completely.

Isn't it obvious that this is the kind of crap (McCarthy: "Every girl wants to be a princess!") that drove Lauren Faust away and made the show suffer? Everyone in this thread complains about butthurt, but I'm the first person here to actually express any complaint. Everyone came to the show because it was unique & excellent, and now it's just like any other boring, run-of-the-mill kids' show. The writing has not been good for a season and a half, I can't believe no one notices...! Cadance & Shining Armor were obviously dragged in and don't fit at all, and there's strong evidence that it's Hasbro's toy-line BS that made Faust leave in the first place, since she had standards & ideals. Little girls deserve better than spoonfeeding princess BS, but I guess they're right since no one can even tell what's quality and what isn't any more. It saddens me that so few people in the fandom share my feelings, that's the main reason I stopped posting. And yes, change is fine, but when the change involves compromising quality/ideals in favor of selling toys (and not to be alarmist, but that's exactly what this is), it leaves a really bad taste in my mouth that I can't pretend isn't there. The show under Lauren Faust meant so much to me, but now I feel like it's gone and no one even laments because it pretends to still exist. /rant
penguindf12

Postby Carbon Dust » 31 Jan 2013 15:30

I think Alicorn Twilight is the greatest thing to happen to this show (apart from all those other greatest things).
I really hope it will be permanent but it probably wont be because Status Quo Is God.

But if it is permanent, just think about how hilarious it would look with Twilight being an Alicorn all the time, I mean, just think about it.

Kyoga wrote:alicorn twilight will destroy all accounts of fan-fiction ever spawned.

Nuuuuuu! Not the fan-fics!
Soundcloud
Youtube
Tumblr
This is not my website, but I wish it was: http://www.carbondust.com/
Carbon Dust

Postby Nine Volt » 31 Jan 2013 15:54

ERMAGHERD Hazbro you ruined the show wtf is wrong with you guys you're driven by money you greedy capitalist bastard you care about nobody but yourself the fandom is ruined someone go protect the fanfics oh gawd why is this happening fml Imma just kill myself naooooooooooooooo :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Naw, actually idgaf :3

Carbon Dust wrote:Status Quo Is God

Why did you link to that site? I wanted to do something musically productive today :P
Nine Volt

Postby Freewave » 31 Jan 2013 16:01

penguindf12 wrote:Sorry Freewave, I'm going to disagree completely.

Isn't it obvious that this is the kind of crap (McCarthy: "Every girl wants to be a princess!") that drove Lauren Faust away and made the show suffer? Everyone in this thread complains about butthurt, but I'm the first person here to actually express any complaint. Everyone came to the show because it was unique & excellent, and now it's just like any other boring, run-of-the-mill kids' show. The writing has not been good for a season and a half, I can't believe no one notices...! Cadance & Shining Armor were obviously dragged in and don't fit at all, and there's strong evidence that it's Hasbro's toy-line BS that made Faust leave in the first place, since she had standards & ideals. Little girls deserve better than spoonfeeding princess BS, but I guess they're right since no one can even tell what's quality and what isn't any more.

I agree with you that i think season 3 has been disappointing. I don't think the writing has been up to par or even the music. It makes it hard to be influenced by a show when i don't get the same emotional connection to the plots and characters.

In fact here's a text wall i wrote ON season 3 and WHY i think it has been less than complete in my eyes.

Here's my BIG argument on why i'm not a fan of season 3 and it's why this show has such an emotional attachment to me. It's because when the show is GOOD it's not just about the ponies, it's about US and it's an emotional connection between their world and ours. It's about what WE deal with in our own lives. It's also about making a show that's enjoyable to kids AND adults.

That episode with Spike (the Dragon Code one) meant nothing to me is because there really is not much to get from it. It COULD have been about Twilight losing her loyal companion and the emotions that might have opened up, it could have been about having the delicate situation where someone wants to be around when you don't want them (most of my teenage years with girls), but it wasn't. It was about Spike sucking at chores and giving him silly things to do (something that i wasn't aware he did terribly with Twilight). As other's have said the dragon code doesn't follow the continuity any better than Pinkie Sense did (although the season 1 plot that was about taking a leap of faith and that some things are unexplainable but real, almost a comment on religion tbh).

Likewise the Apple Family Reunion could have been about AJ missing her dead parents and about loss of family, instead it was mildly about pushing yourslef too hard and staying too busy (as Thom Yokee said "hey man, slow down") which was a repeat of Lesson Zero but with AJ, but it (nor the song "Racist Barn") really did not go the full way to connect emotionally with me.

Too Many Pinkie Pies could have ended with her friend's noticing that the real one was the only one who wasn't just a fun cliche, that she was hurting by not being sure of who she was anymore. Instead she survived because she could watch paint dry not because anyone asked her questions and listened to find out who the real one was. If your best friend's don't recognize you then how is friendship magic?

Bad Seed did a bad job of showing Babs dealing with bullying BY being a bully. She was shy one moment, a bully the next, and then back to being a friend by the end. It just didn't do a good job of explaining the difficulties of bullying until it was MENTIONED by AJ at the end. Again not terrible, but it didn't strike an emotional chord. At least it was cute in parts but lacked an emotional punch.

What I love about seasons 1+2 are getting some real emotion AND some cute moments AND a few surprises AND some great plotlines. Hurricane Fluttershy dealing with limitations and doubt, The Best Night Ever about disappointment coming after much built up anticipation, Winter Wrap Up about finding your place in the community and what you are good at (much like every CMC ep), Secret of My Success being about greed and a secret love. Most of these epsiodes have an emotional hook to them but as I pointed out each recent ep HAD opportunities to explore these and they fell short or didn't try. Again there's a fine line between good and great and I think season 3 as fallen into "good" by the end and a step back from what appealed to us in the first 2. That spark starting to fade.

So no I'm not happy with season 3 but i also think StatusQuoisGod needs to be chucked out the window. If this means season 4 means new responsbilities and new adventures for Twilight and crew outside of Ponyville then bring it on as i can't handle another season 3.
Freewave

Postby penguindf12 » 31 Jan 2013 17:31

Freewave wrote:
penguindf12 wrote:Sorry Freewave, I'm going to disagree completely.

Isn't it obvious that this is the kind of crap (McCarthy: "Every girl wants to be a princess!") that drove Lauren Faust away and made the show suffer? Everyone in this thread complains about butthurt, but I'm the first person here to actually express any complaint. Everyone came to the show because it was unique & excellent, and now it's just like any other boring, run-of-the-mill kids' show. The writing has not been good for a season and a half, I can't believe no one notices...! Cadance & Shining Armor were obviously dragged in and don't fit at all, and there's strong evidence that it's Hasbro's toy-line BS that made Faust leave in the first place, since she had standards & ideals. Little girls deserve better than spoonfeeding princess BS, but I guess they're right since no one can even tell what's quality and what isn't any more.

I agree with you that i think season 3 has been disappointing. I don't think the writing has been up to par or even the music. It makes it hard to be influenced by a show when i don't get the same emotional connection to the plots and characters.

In fact here's a text wall i wrote ON season 3 and WHY i think it has been less than complete in my eyes.

Here's my BIG argument on why i'm not a fan of season 3 and it's why this show has such an emotional attachment to me. It's because when the show is GOOD it's not just about the ponies, it's about US and it's an emotional connection between their world and ours. It's about what WE deal with in our own lives. It's also about making a show that's enjoyable to kids AND adults.

That episode with Spike (the Dragon Code one) meant nothing to me is because there really is not much to get from it. It COULD have been about Twilight losing her loyal companion and the emotions that might have opened up, it could have been about having the delicate situation where someone wants to be around when you don't want them (most of my teenage years with girls), but it wasn't. It was about Spike sucking at chores and giving him silly things to do (something that i wasn't aware he did terribly with Twilight). As other's have said the dragon code doesn't follow the continuity any better than Pinkie Sense did (although the season 1 plot that was about taking a leap of faith and that some things are unexplainable but real, almost a comment on religion tbh).

Likewise the Apple Family Reunion could have been about AJ missing her dead parents and about loss of family, instead it was mildly about pushing yourslef too hard and staying too busy (as Thom Yokee said "hey man, slow down") which was a repeat of Lesson Zero but with AJ, but it (nor the song "Racist Barn") really did not go the full way to connect emotionally with me.

Too Many Pinkie Pies could have ended with her friend's noticing that the real one was the only one who wasn't just a fun cliche, that she was hurting by not being sure of who she was anymore. Instead she survived because she could watch paint dry not because anyone asked her questions and listened to find out who the real one was. If your best friend's don't recognize you then how is friendship magic?

Bad Seed did a bad job of showing Babs dealing with bullying BY being a bully. She was shy one moment, a bully the next, and then back to being a friend by the end. It just didn't do a good job of explaining the difficulties of bullying until it was MENTIONED by AJ at the end. Again not terrible, but it didn't strike an emotional chord. At least it was cute in parts but lacked an emotional punch.

What I love about seasons 1+2 are getting some real emotion AND some cute moments AND a few surprises AND some great plotlines. Hurricane Fluttershy dealing with limitations and doubt, The Best Night Ever about disappointment coming after much built up anticipation, Winter Wrap Up about finding your place in the community and what you are good at (much like every CMC ep), Secret of My Success being about greed and a secret love. Most of these epsiodes have an emotional hook to them but as I pointed out each recent ep HAD opportunities to explore these and they fell short or didn't try. Again there's a fine line between good and great and I think season 3 as fallen into "good" by the end and a step back from what appealed to us in the first 2. That spark starting to fade.

So no I'm not happy with season 3 but i also think StatusQuoisGod needs to be chucked out the window. If this means season 4 means new responsbilities and new adventures for Twilight and crew outside of Ponyville then bring it on as i can't handle another season 3.

I like you, Freewave. :)
For me, the show hasn't been the same since after the Discord two-parter. I could really tell a difference beginning with Lesson Zero, which was well-crafted but alienating and a major direction change in the handling of characters, I felt. I like some other Season 2 stuff, for instance Luna Eclipsed and the midsection of Hearth's Warming Eve I think are pretty great, but most of it seemed uninspired. It felt like a solid modern cartoon, but without the detail and care that I feel Lauren put into the season she had more creative control over. The music was *great* for Season 1, very well-paced and unique, and Will Anderson credits Lauren with many ideas and inspiration in his interview here on this site. He himself asserts that it was -her- that made the show truly special.

I agree with all the points you made above, Freewave, especially about identifying with characters. I feel like Season 2 did have moments like that, but I felt that a particular approach or care was missing or somehow garbled through mishandling. I feel pretty strongly that the show was special because of Lauren Faust, and her voice was so strong that I feel its absence acutely.

She had a very real passion about her characters, and a strong ideology about creating a great show for little girls, and it showed. She had -a lot- of creative control, even if she didn't write out the episodes. Since she left, the people in control do their best to make a good show, but when something -matters- to you like it did to Lauren that's not something that can be replaced, I feel. It would be as absurd and outrageous as someone other than J.K. Rowling completing the Harry Potter series. It just wouldn't make any sense. It still feels wrong to me.

(although, I do like Katie and Andy's comics! I feel like Katie kind of "gets" it. it's not the same as Faust, but at least I feel a strong personal voice there. that's what the show's missing -- PASSION. MATTERING.)

So yeah, I guess change is for the better, & we'll see, but I'm not optimistic. Even one of the show's worker's posted on Reddit to warn about how Hasbro had forced them to do it. I'm pretty sure Cadance & Shining Armor are the same thing; they don't fit AT ALL in Faust's worldbuilding, which is a major red flag.
penguindf12

Postby Freewave » 31 Jan 2013 18:58

I think the highlights for season 2 really are amazing but yeah there's a few clunkers in there too. My point is that season 3 hasn't had the same highs as either season but they've been just good (which yeah is distressing)

Yeah i saw that. I just hope Hasbro realizes that if they f*ck up this show they can forget about all those merchandise sales through we love fine and hot topic. After all its bronies buying up all those adult size clothes and swag merchandise and limited collectibles, not little girls. While we shouldn't complain before they air an episode they do have to keep us happy to keep us on board. If they start really lowering the quality i hope people NOTICE and take action (or if they start doing takedowns on pmv's or anything also of that nature).
Freewave

Postby Captain Ironhelm » 31 Jan 2013 19:54

Here's my conspiracy theory:

There was the hint on EQD about another character being put in the roster of main characters. Hints that Twilight is becoming a princess.

What does it mean?

Hasbro likes to sell toys. After two years, everybody has a nice set of toys that includes all the main characters. Solve problem by changing Twilight cosmetically and adding in another character to the spotlight. Boom! Now people will want to buy Twilight with wings and New Pony. This will also allow them to build their stories a bit differently now, as they'll be able to develop an entirely "new" character personality.

Fine by me!

As for season 3, I think people are overreacting a bit to harshly on it. In my eyes it's the same pony show, and I like it. Remember that it's a show still primarilly focused for little girls. Viewing the episodes on their content, I beleive they're still promoting good goals. I may disagree a bit with Freewave on the synopsis of the episodes. IMO there's always some duds, usually in the opinion of the viewer (I've never been too keen on the CMC episodes).
I could say Winter Wrap Up from season 1 was a really shallow episode that showed how getting a schedule down can pay off, and it could have been better if it it focused more on going out and helping people that can't help themselves, as in elderly people that are snowed in and could use a helping hand. If I were a parent, I would still view season 3 as a wholesome cartoon to watch. If it feels different to some adult guys because it's not the new thing anymore, it still holds true to being one of the few good, clean cartoons out there.

If the whole brony thing goes down the twoilet (LOL! See how I mispelled that?), I would more see it as the fandom growing up in a way. People complain to me that Pixar is so ruined since Disney bought them, but it really is still top-notch when I look at it. It's all right if you don't like season 3 as much. I still see at as the same great show it has always been.
Captain Ironhelm

Postby penguindf12 » 31 Jan 2013 22:46

Freewave wrote:If they start really lowering the quality i hope people NOTICE and take action

This is how I've felt since Lesson Zero, of course. The problem is it's really subjective... I feel like it jumped the shark pretty solidly when Lauren left, you feel like it's only more recently with Season 3, and there are others that will enjoy the show (or buy the toys) no matter what. I know that when I was a kid, for instance, I couldn't tell quality all that well.

It almost seems like they got a creative steward in Faust that really cared about artistic value to breathe quality and love into a dying franchise, then once it gets going scare her off and milk it for all it's worth. I'm positive it was stuff like the Royal Canterlot Wedding that made her pack her bags and leave; she's repeatedly said it was a hard decision and she didn't want to go. I feel like we should be pissed off, and I feel like we should have been pissed off two years ago (although it's only now that Faust has started dropping hints about the circumstances of her departure).

... I guess my only hope for the show is if they bring her back for a movie or something and give her TOTAL creative control! (or at least what she had when she signed up back in 2008) That would be --pardon my phrasing -- SOOO AWESOME :D
penguindf12

Postby Raddons » 01 Feb 2013 06:46

tag this topic as a spoiler at least holy shit
Raddons

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Gray Ham » 02 Feb 2013 08:51

ImageImage
Gray Ham

Postby Matthew N. » 02 Feb 2013 09:46

Motivfs wrote:My thoughts on Alicorn Twilight...

Good, old Futurama.
Matthew N.

Postby VINXIS » 02 Feb 2013 19:42

Cloud wrote:tag this topic as a spoiler at least holy shit

lol

It's not my fault, like the title was a spoiler so there was no need
VINXIS

Next

Return to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic