Why is liking ponies considered "weird"

We all love it, otherwise it's unlikely you'd be here. Talk about the show and the fanbase surrounding it. Brony music discussions encouraged.

Re: Why is liking ponies considered "weird"

Postby CaineTheDoomBringer » 11 Jul 2012 00:55

Because of the social stigma that boys aren't allowed to like girl things.

Which is kind of a hypocritical notion, because girls are allowed to like boy things, and that's not weird at all.
It ain't Brony Music without a blaring and intrusive airhorn sample.

Youtube
Soundcloud
EQBeats

DAW: FL Studio 11
Genres: Acoustic, Rock, some Metal
CaineTheDoomBringer

Postby xadobex » 11 Jul 2012 01:02

CaineTheDoomBringer wrote:Because of the social stigma that boys aren't allowed to like girl things.

Which is kind of a hypocritical notion, because girls are allowed to like boy things, and that's not weird at all.

God damn double standards.
I make music but i'm not that good.
https://soundcloud.com/nick-carey

Setup:
Casio Wk-225
FL Studio 10 Producer
Novation Launchpad
Behringer Xenyx x1204USB
Ibanez SDGR bass
Shure PG-58
xadobex

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Anforium » 11 Aug 2012 07:40

I think it all depends on how you present yourself.

I mean if you have 10 MLP shirts, listen to nothing but MLP music, and constantly talk about it, then of course people are going to think it's wierd.

However, if you just treat it like any other show and casually mention it every once in a while, I've found that the reactions aren't bad at all.
Youtube
Bandcamp
Twitter

Software: I'm original, so i use Sunvox. I used to use LMMS, but the crashing drove me insane.
Anforium

Postby Captain Ironhelm » 11 Aug 2012 11:54

Anforium wrote:I think it all depends on how you present yourself.

I mean if you have 10 MLP shirts, listen to nothing but MLP music, and constantly talk about it, then of course people are going to think it's wierd.

However, if you just treat it like any other show and casually mention it every once in a while, I've found that the reactions aren't bad at all.

Apparently having this as my desktop picture makes me effeminate because it's a pony. I don't talk about the show or anything.
Captain Ironhelm

Postby Sai » 11 Aug 2012 12:44

Captain Ironhelm wrote:[img]BadassBigMac.jpg[/img]

Apparently having this as my desktop picture makes me effeminate because it's a pony. I don't talk about the show or anything.

That's the kind of crap I have a hard time with. This idea that people will just instantly start judging people that way just because of some preconception (I accept that it happens a lot, it just annoys me...). I mean, that's a cool picture (hahah-*shot*) and I can see how some people might or might not like it, but "effeminate" is definitely the wrong word for it.

My brother was telling me how he would occasionally have some guys listening to - and in general, enjoying - music he was playing before asking what it was, reciving the answer "brony music" (or something to that effect), and ripping out headphones with an "OK I don't like it" response.

Which fits with what Anforium was saying about how you present yourself, to some extent. Like how it's better not to say "HAY GUIZE LISTEN TO MY PONI MUSICS" and just be more subtle about it.
Sai

Postby VINXIS » 11 Aug 2012 13:23

Laiking ponies is weird because it's stereotyped that guise can't watch it.

Also the fact that people don't like having you like something they don't like.
VINXIS

Primary: Ableton 9 live (like 99% of the time)
Cutie Mark: pls

Postby ThatRobChap » 13 Aug 2012 11:28

Simple: when most people think of My Little Pony, they think of the older generations, and it would be kind of weird if we liked those.
Youtube | Soundcloud
Genres: Rock, metal, all that good stuff.
Doing things, very slowly.
ThatRobChap

Postby Subrick » 20 Sep 2012 00:42

I'll just leave this here.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Subrick
https://www.facebook.com/Subrick
http://twitter.com/Subrick

https://www.facebook.com/Blasphegram
Subrick

Postby ThatRobChap » 20 Sep 2012 09:47

Well, at least he went about saying that nicely. Doesn't mean I agree, but never mind.
My main problem with it comes from personal experience - turns out some of my friends are actually bronies, but because none of us ever mentioned it, I didn't know this for several months. :lol:
Youtube | Soundcloud
Genres: Rock, metal, all that good stuff.
Doing things, very slowly.
ThatRobChap

Postby Raddons » 24 Sep 2012 02:10

Because everyone clops. Everyone. Even if you don't.

Went I got to my new college campus I met like 3 bronies in one day. We all got together that night in my room at my parents home and clopped all at once.

We met at school the next day and there was this kid who said cloppers are ruining the community so we kicked his ass and stole his lunch money.
Raddons

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby painebrian » 26 Sep 2012 00:26

the4thImpulse wrote:Because we grow up in a scociety that forces you to fit in and not be unique, think of how much easier it is to get a desk job at some random high rise building in a big city compared to being a one of a kind artist. Starting at school we are taught to blend in with everyone else like an army of ants and not stand out and think truely for ourself. I'm not saying this is entirely bad or anything but this is the mind set that decided men must like manly things and do away with cute things to focus on being the alpha male of the house.

One of the reasons I watch the show is to sort of 'escape' from the real world, its fantasic the show is just cute ponies living in an almost utopian setting but its to bad this is looked down upon in the real world today. If everyone watched this show and even attemted to pratice some of its lessons the world could be a much better place (sadly that won't happen).

yeah thats true almost all men want to do that....
Makes women swoon without trying. Show me how.
painebrian

Postby GumsOfGabby » 08 Oct 2012 07:43

Because everyone is insecure about themselves and making fun of other people (easy targets) diverts negative attention away from them.

Also because of society's view on how men are "supposed" to act. But alas, times are changing and that's great! If MLP FiM existed 50+ years ago, we'd all probably be locked up in a cell or sent to a mental asylum. So that's a step up, I guess :D
Youtube | Soundcloud

FL/Massive noob

Need a bit of feedback? Don't be shy to send me a PM along with your sample.
GumsOfGabby

Previous

Return to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic