My Little Playlist - Music jukebox for real bronies:)

We all love it, otherwise it's unlikely you'd be here. Talk about the show and the fanbase surrounding it. Brony music discussions encouraged.

My Little Playlist - Music jukebox for real bronies:)

Postby Spirik » 10 Mar 2012 15:59

Hi there, everybrony!

My name's Spirik and I'd like to introduce to you small pony-music-related project of mine, which hopefully may be of some interest to you (or anypony, who loves the pony music as much as I do!). Let me start with a little backstory, though. (And if you'd like to skip the sappy part, go ahead right to the announce, just know, that I love you everyone!).

Since the very first time I've ever heard properly done pony remix, I felt in love with pony music. Immediately. In all of diversity of its genres, arrangements and styles, with all heartfelt lyrics and jokes. Forever. And the funny thing is that I would never possibly assumed earlier that any fanmade music can have such an impact on me. Not a single day I spend without listening to it. It always makes me feel better, like a drug that calms the mind and sends my heart aflutter. I wanted to be part of this, wished I could be involved. Or at least simply share my pony-music-encounter experience with somepony.

And not being the musician of any sort myself, the only way to express my appreciation to all of the community for all incredible stuff it produces - is to help share it with the rest of the world:)

So here it comes! Dedicated to all of amazingly talented artists that touched my heart with their songs. And, of course, to the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic show itself, which essentially made the whole thing possible in the first place.

My Little Playlist - Music for ponies' heart's content
http://mlplaylist.com (also available on http://mlplaylist.ru, http://mylittleplaylist.ru).

It is, basically, randomly driven pony music jukebox which is a small part of my dedication project I'm working on at the moment and, actually, more of a teaser (if I can put it that way), the lack of functionality says it for itself. In fact, what it does is just plays random tracks directly from YouTube (hence the broadband internet connection for better quality would be preferable). Simple as it is. Track list is far from being full (and obviously it just can't be, although I’m in the middle of transferring my own current favorites collection right now), but I will regularly update it with new pony-related music as soon as possible. I pinkie promise.

Hopefully even on this early stage of development the project may help to promote wonderful music across wider audience (rather than just between bronies themselves). Full version are planned to include a number of advanced features for managing music library, user's custom playlists, tagging, etc., with all tracks still stored on YouTube's accounts of their creators.

And as long as it is Work-In-Progress I encourage anyone to send your feedback, whether it is a found bug, suggestion or literally anything in-between. Any (and I mean any) feedback will be highly appreciated!

• For the listeners: Enjoy awesome music, stay tuned for updates, follow me on @MLPLaylist. And don’t forget to express your gratitude and support to the artists on their YouTube pages. They sincerely deserve all our praises!
  • For the artists: easily everything I've said above plus any comments regarding functionality, features, etc. from your point of view. And, what's crucially important for me, general opinion on the, uhm... usefulness of the project and stuff.

Love you all,
you're my inspiration.
Spirik, My Little Playlist (http://mlplaylist.com, @MLPLaylist, info [at] mlplaylist [dot] com)
Spirik

Re: My Little Playlist - Music jukebox for real bronies:)

Postby Spirik » 18 Mar 2012 13:14

Here is some teaser pics I've published recently of possible interface for the release version of MLPL:

Spirik

Postby Spirik » 18 Mar 2012 13:16

Launching Pre-Alfa (well, sort of) of My Little Playlist. Little functionality, lots of bugs =)

http://mlplaylist.com/playlist.html

Limitations of current version:

• user can't save order of tracks in playlist (although he can drag tracks around);
  • only 3 different tags available for presented tracks;
  • no filter and library options;
  • need to send additional requests to YouTube to retrieve duration & upload date;
  • lots of bugs (found one? Let me now!).

As always, any feedback (bug, suggestion, etc.) highly appreciated.
Spirik

Postby Navron » 18 Mar 2012 22:14

Looks very nice so far. Thank you for putting in the effort to make this, and I'm sure once it's complete we'll gladly help you get the site out there and help make it become the #1 site for brony music.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby TheSunAndTheRainfall » 18 Mar 2012 22:16

Actually, this sounds pretty neat, and the site design looks super posh. Will certainly stay tuned to this.
TheSunAndTheRainfall

Postby the4thImpulse » 18 Mar 2012 22:48

This is looking quite snazzy, I like it! and like The Sun said "Will certainly stay tuned to this".
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby CommandSpry » 19 Mar 2012 19:51

The design is very relaxing and comfortable, it's simple and easy to navigate, well done. I'm hoping that you will greatly extend the jukebox though, there a lot of songs you know :)
Hey. Listen. I don't Care anymore. You hear me you Son of a Bitch? I'm old now. I have all the resources.
Hey. Listen. I don't Care anymore. You hear me you Son of a Bitch? I'm old now. I have all the resources.

hello I'm spry wobbler lol I'm
CommandSpry

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: wobbler

Postby Spirik » 01 Sep 2012 14:26

I am not dead! ;)

Here's small update for the My Little Playlist with some new features, including Filter, Direct URLs, Artists List:

(Click for large version)
Last edited by Spirik on 27 Jan 2014 01:57, edited 1 time in total.
Spirik

Postby Captain Ironhelm » 03 Sep 2012 17:32

woah! Nice. Somehow this thread has slipped my eye all this time.
Captain Ironhelm

Postby CommandSpry » 03 Sep 2012 19:47

Cool updates, I especially like how dejaysorinfligt is an artist there xD

CommandSpry

Postby K3WRO » 04 Sep 2012 04:57

I love the sleek design and how it's easy to use, It's great :D
Soundcloud : http://www.soundcloud.com/megapie-1
Youtube : http://www.youtube.com/user/antigravtoast2/featured

-I'm not Dead, I just don't make small horse music anymore-
K3WRO

Primary: Reason
Cutie Mark: Your Face

Postby Freewave » 04 Sep 2012 09:30

Love the layout, love the functionality. At only 78 artists in your catalog that's very underwhelming....I see that you don't really have many remixes either....
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Spirik » 04 Sep 2012 14:30

CommandSpry wrote:I especially like how dejaysorinfligt is an artist there xD

:lol: I regret nothing)

Freewave wrote:At only 78 artists in your catalog that's very underwhelming....

That's sadly true. That's why one of the next updates (along with rewriting backend logic) will be about granting somepony else the ability to submit tracks and artists to library. It will (at least I hope so) make library to fill faster and spare me some time I can spend on developing new features rather than adding tracks.

Freewave wrote:I see that you don't really have many remixes either....

We will fix it;)

Thank you, guys, for all nice words about site! I am reallyreally glad you liked it! :D
Spirik

Postby CommandSpry » 04 Sep 2012 21:17

Yes I think the site is great and would like to see it finished soon. I'm guessing you are very busy though; maybe you could team up with a coder to work on this project, or do you want to just keep this a pet project of yours? (:

CommandSpry

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 05 Sep 2012 17:15

Okay, I love this site design and concept, but do you think it could evolve past being just a playlist? SOmewhere where musicians can set up, feature new releases, albums, discographies, more fluid than other sites available. No one has got the chemistry right yet, but with what you have here, it definitely has the potential to be more than just a playlist site.

Just my thoughts.
Lavender_Harmony

Postby Freewave » 05 Sep 2012 17:59

I know Sellyme is working on some sort of an archive of brony music and there is of course the ponychan/mlp music archive massive torrent/collection. But as you said i don't what is required to add tracks to your site in terms of coding or your database and the easier you can make that method the better. Especially if it means people could upload for you.

Lavendar, the Brony Musician Directory tries to fit the role you are asking but I'm sure we may lack in certain ways still. Let us know if you have any ideas to improve as we'd love to hear them. We've kind of given the opportunity for people to comment, update, and request edits to their existing profiles and few have actually done any.
Freewave

Postby Spirik » 06 Sep 2012 14:41

CommandSpry wrote:I'm guessing you are very busy though; maybe you could team up with a coder to work on this project,

Yes! That's exactly what I'm up to right now. I have very good offers regarding developing the project.

Lavender_Harmony wrote:Okay, I love this site design and concept, but do you think it could evolve past being just a playlist? SOmewhere where musicians can set up, feature new releases, albums, discographies, more fluid than other sites available. No one has got the chemistry right yet, but with what you have here, it definitely has the potential to be more than just a playlist site.

I believe there is a lot of ways the project can evolve. But firstly, we need to set up the pleasant, convenient and functional environment for users as listeners (with easy navigation, sorting, filtering and creating custom tracklists). And after that - create convenient and cozy backend alike for artists (with functionality it's prematurely a bit to speak of yet). Honestly, I'd be beyond happy if we can succeed at those:)
Spirik

Postby CommandSpry » 06 Sep 2012 15:39

Lavender, I think you should give EqBeats more credit. The platform's uber quick, the design is clean, they have that useful linking with YouTube option to upload your songs in minutes without even using your bandwidth and they do feature songs on the main page. Also by uploading there your song gets automatically played at Celestia Radio, of course if you publish it, you can also post WIPs there without problem, and it automatically converts to .wav, .mp3 and .ogg, and you can put the art on there as well. Comments and favourites also work fine. I think it's a great platform, the only thing it needs now is a userbase.

CommandSpry

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 07 Sep 2012 10:50

CommandSpry wrote:Lavender, I think you should give EqBeats more credit. The platform's uber quick, the design is clean, they have that useful linking with YouTube option to upload your songs in minutes without even using your bandwidth and they do feature songs on the main page. Also by uploading there your song gets automatically played at Celestia Radio, of course if you publish it, you can also post WIPs there without problem, and it automatically converts to .wav, .mp3 and .ogg, and you can put the art on there as well. Comments and favourites also work fine. I think it's a great platform, the only thing it needs now is a userbase.

I've asked the devs regarding simple changes, and they ignored me. I think that's reason enough to ditch it.
Lavender_Harmony

Postby Freewave » 07 Sep 2012 16:44

Lavender_Harmony wrote:
CommandSpry wrote:Lavender, I think you should give EqBeats more credit. The platform's uber quick, the design is clean, they have that useful linking with YouTube option to upload your songs in minutes without even using your bandwidth and they do feature songs on the main page. Also by uploading there your song gets automatically played at Celestia Radio, of course if you publish it, you can also post WIPs there without problem, and it automatically converts to .wav, .mp3 and .ogg, and you can put the art on there as well. Comments and favourites also work fine. I think it's a great platform, the only thing it needs now is a userbase.

I've asked the devs regarding simple changes, and they ignored me. I think that's reason enough to ditch it.

I agree with Lavendar that it may have been off to a great start but all development for it has basically died out all summer as far as i can tell. Some basic functions are missing (being able to view # of plays, downloads, favorites, and not being able to pm others or even delete annoying comments) mean that it's very undeveloped in the places it NEEDS to be to be competitive. Sure those features they have are unique but they won't lock in support if they are missing basic features. They just don't seem to care for feedback or communicate any upcoming changes. Soundcloud is just light years ahead of it and I don't use that site as much as i used to either. They have their own spam issue going on w/ non bronies looking for hand outs. That place is still where i will have my downloads as i have a paid account there and the features are still good.
Freewave

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 25 Sep 2012 11:11

Any updates on this? This is one of the few pony-music related projects I'm keenly interested in following, but not seen much activity since.
Lavender_Harmony

Postby Spirik » 29 Sep 2012 02:46

Lavender_Harmony, I'm now working on migrating existing project to a new platform, on top of which we can (hopefully) eventually build feature-rich and powerful application. So, not much updates on the front-side, mostly back-end code rewriting for now. I'll keep you updated!
Spirik

Postby CommandSpry » 20 Dec 2012 05:08

anything new about this?

CommandSpry

Postby Spirik » 27 Jan 2014 02:01

I am still not dead! (No, I'm not going to start every post with this statement. Hopefully;))

After more than a year of developing and stuff, this happened:

Spirik

Postby Spirik » 27 Jan 2014 02:28

This time I'd like to introduce rather big update of the My Little Playlist (rolling out Alpha version now!):

(Click for large version)

Update includes numerous enhancements of the front-end (live titles, vector graphics of the interface elements, page rendering optimizations, etc.). But more importantly - it includes the whole new administrative part, from where one can add Songs, Artists, manage Tags, Activities, etc. That means faster and easier library updates. And given the chance that someone volunteer to help me with filling the library - more frequent general site updates in the future!

Check out the latest version at http://mlplaylist.com (http://mlplaylist.com/playlist for Playlist mode). Follow us on Twitter (for live library update news) and Google+ (for general updates and discussions).

We are back! And here to stay. Definitely this time;)
Spirik

Next

Return to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic